Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Love the '50s, although he could make almost any song appealing, even some of the movie songs you just have to take them for what they are.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:20 pm

Since I became a fan AFTER Elvis's death, I am more drawn to the 1970s than any other. My favorite "year" would have to be 1972.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Matthew wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Common man... How can any Elvis fan dismiss these performances?

Stranger In The Crowd is pretty crap. Awful lyrics.


Most of his songs are not know for their "deep and meaningfull" lyrics.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Favourite era's;

1 1954 to 1958

2 1960 to 1963

3 1968 to 1970

There are many 'parts' of other era's that I like; The '66 and '67 studio sessions and also 1972 which I consider to be his last good, complete year.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:Favourite era's;

1 1954 to 1958

2 1960 to 1963

3 1968 to 1970

There are many 'parts' of other era's that I like; The '66 and '67 studio sessions and also 1972 which I consider to be his last good, complete year.

Not only do I agree, I concur! :smt006

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Well its the 50's for sure. 1960-62 is second best. Of course he was great again in 1968-1969. But I am not a big fan of the 70's. Yes the occasional song here & there, but most of it was just broing to me and over the top, especially the ballads like My Boy. Couldnt take that stuff. There was never a time like the 50's. You had to live it to know what I mean.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Rob wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:That's my opinion, your gonna have to deal with it my friend.

I have no problem dealing with your narrow-mindedness.

My mind is not narrow, it's just that i prefer quality than mediocrity. The 70's really is Elvis' worst decade as far as his music is concerned. I know Elvis fans who absolutely adore the man, but they don't dig the 70's-some of them say that "Merry Christmas Baby" is the coolest thing he ever did in the 70's and i'm more or less in agreement with that. I like some songs he did in the 70's-"C.C Rider"("On Stage" version,only), "I've Got A Thing About You Baby" "Promised Land" "Moody Blue" and there are probably a dozen others. I also like the years 1960, 61,68 and all the stuff he did with Chips Moman.

I'am a serious Elvis fan, i've paid out a lot of money over the years on original records. I have originals from all over the world-Japan, USA, German, French, British etc. I've recently obtained a stone mint Rock'n'Roll No.2 LP on the HMV label for £800. I have two original Sun 45's (intend on getting the other three) Sun 210 in VG+ £1,000 and i also have Sun 217 in VG+ £700, they both play great too. I have all the HMV 45's and the one EP "Good Rockin' Tonight". Never rated the "Love Me Tender" EP, so i don't have that. Only serious fans collect this sort of thing.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 pm

r&b wrote:Well its the 50's for sure. 1960-62 is second best. Of course he was great again in 1968-1969. But I am not a big fan of the 70's. Yes the occasional song here & there, but most of it was just broing to me and over the top, especially the ballads like My Boy. Couldnt take that stuff. There was never a time like the 50's. You had to live it to know what I mean.

r&b, you and i are on the same level as Elvis fans.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:27 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I like some songs he did in the 70's-"C.C Rider"("On Stage" version,only), "I've Got A Thing About You Baby" "Promised Land" "Moody Blue" and there are probably a dozen others. I also like the years 1960, 61,68 and all the stuff he did with Chips Moman.

OK, so you are not totally narrow-minded. I like many more '50s songs than you like '70s songs, but I prefer the '70s any day of the week. When I think of Elvis, it is usually something from the '69-'72 period. However, I will never deny the earth-shattering music that came from the 1950s. One simply cannot be an Elvis fan and not like this period. That said, there is not a period of Elvis' career that I do not get some enjoyment out of. I feel bad for those who cannot see it this way. They are missing something and do not even realize it.

Many tend to be narrow-minded.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Elvis made great music from the beginning to the bitter end.
He also recorded a lot of not so great and also some really bad music.

My favorite period is 1968 - 1973.
In particular 69-70.
The last 3 years of his life we all know he had a lot of problems and that affected his performances but still he was capable of
doing really good shows and recorded some fine stuff in the studio.

I am glad Elvis didn´t stick to one type of music, his versatility is one thing that really appeals to me.

Like many of you I wish he could have skipped all the bad movies and awful songs like "Ito eats" etc but we can´t change history.
A world tour, getting out of Vegas at the latest in 1972 would also been good for him I guess but that´s not what happened.
We should be happy with all the GREAT music he left behind, that´s the reason we still are fans of the man.

Lennart

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 pm

I most prefer the '70s (and spend most of my listening pleasure there) as can be attested to in the two books I wrote, ON TOUR WITH ELVIS and ELVIS IN CONCERT. I always think of 1969 (the Memphis sessions and Las Vegas 1969) as part of the '70s as I always scoop these up when playing music from the '70s.

As I became a fan of Elvis' because of the movies (SPINOUT, notably), the '60s are my next favourite era. I enjoy most (90%) of his recordings from 1960 to 1968, and make no apologies. I love hearing Elvis' voice on (no doubt) even poor material, but generally not poor performances.

The '50s I return to now and then, but it is seldom in my music rotation. I understand the importance of the '50s, but without Elvis' output during the '60s and more importantly the '70s and seeing him in person so many times, I would not be an Elvis fan. I don't know what I'd be listening to on a regular basis.

I can find no other voice I love listening to as much -- and even though it changed often through his (short) career, it is always unmistakably Elvis.

I remember buying LET'S BE FRIENDS and THAT'S THE WAY IT IS (I didn't have enough money and had to wait a few months after its release to buy it -- though I would hold the album in my hands in the record store, studying the cover, and wondering whether there was any stage dialogue between the songs) -- and I still marvel at the voice (coming now from a CD).

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:07 pm

On reflection, perhaps it's not 90% (perhaps someone could calculate it, as I have identified 41 songs I wish Elvis had never recorded during the '60s). Of course, if it could have been all studio tracks during the '60s, and Elvis was producing albums and not soundtracks, my list would be longer -- but many of the songs others might list are often "catchy" and I like Elvis' vocal -- and many I enjoy playing on the piano, so I wouldn't delete.

Two lists:

List 1 are tracks that, if I could, I would simply delete from Elvis' catalogue and would be no worse off If they never existed.

Britches
A Cane and a High Starched Collar
Ito Eats
I'm Not The Marrying Kind
Sound Advise
Cotton Candy land
How Would You Like To be
Take Me To The Fair
Guadalajara
The Yellow Rose of Texas / The Eyes of Texas
Barefoot Ballad
Carny Town
Do The Clam
Hey Little Girl
Petunia, the Gardener's Daughter
Look Out Brodway
Chesay
Datin'
Scratch My Back
A Dog's Life
Queenie Whaine's Papaya
Stop Where You Are
I Love Only One girl
Old McDonald
Sing You Children
Yoga Is, As Yoga Does
Who Needs Money
Confidence
Hey, Hey, Hey
Clambake
He's Your Uncle, Not Your Dad
Signs of the Zodiac
Hey Jude

List 2 would be those I NEVER put on any compilation, and would be likely to skip when they come up:

Shoppin' Around
Didja Ever
Frankfort Special
Santa Lucia
The Meanest Girl In Town
Come What May
Long Legged Girl
How Can You Lose (What You Never Had)

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Christopher Brown wrote:List 2 would be those I NEVER put on any compilation, and would be likely to skip when they come up:

Shoppin' Around
Didja Ever
Frankfort Special
Santa Lucia
The Meanest Girl In Town
Come What May
Long Legged Girl
How Can You Lose (What You Never Had)

Why? "Frankfort Special" rocks!
Whoa-oh-oh!

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Lennart wrote:Elvis made great music from the beginning to the bitter end.
He also recorded a lot of not so great and also some really bad music.

My favorite period is 1968 - 1973.
In particular 69-70.
The last 3 years of his life we all know he had a lot of problems and that affected his performances but still he was capable of
doing really good shows and recorded some fine stuff in the studio.

I am glad Elvis didn´t stick to one type of music, his versatility is one thing that really appeals to me.

Like many of you I wish he could have skipped all the bad movies and awful songs like "Ito eats" etc but we can´t change history.
A world tour, getting out of Vegas at the latest in 1972 would also been good for him I guess but that´s not what happened.
We should be happy with all the GREAT music he left behind, that´s the reason we still are fans of the man.

Lennart



My thought exactly..... :smt006 8) 8)

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Lennart wrote:I am glad Elvis didn´t stick to one type of music, his versatility is one thing that really appeals to me.

I couldn't have said that better myself.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Like most fans, I tend to have phases where I concentrate on different eras of Elvis' career.

As I've grown older I don't over analyse things quite as much and tend to enjoy recordings for what they are.

For me the different types of music that Elvis recorded over the years are part of the appeal. The rock 'n' roll recordings are great, but there is so much more to it than that.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:02 pm

I do not understand why some people would say one is less of a fan because one does not care for 70s Elvis. Certainly no one would say that about a person who does not like Kissin' Cousins, Girl Happy, Harum Scarum or Frankie and Johnny soundtracks!

Even if one ONLY likes the 5 Sun sides, but still considers these records the best ever made in rock history, is not less of an Elvis fan.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 pm

I don't see where anyone said that.

I did, however, say that if I were narrow-minded enough to like only Elvis in the '50s, I really would have a hard time calling MYSELF a fan. What other people call themselves is totally up to them.

Dig it?

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Rob wrote:I don't see where anyone said that.

I did, however, say that if I were narrow-minded enough to like only Elvis in the '50s, I really would have a hard time calling MYSELF a fan. What other people call themselves is totally up to them.

Dig it?


That's not Elvis, that's a Beatles song. ;-)

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Christopher Brown wrote:I most prefer the '70s (and spend most of my listening pleasure there) as can be attested to in the two books I wrote, ON TOUR WITH ELVIS and ELVIS IN CONCERT. I always think of 1969 (the Memphis sessions and Las Vegas 1969) as part of the '70s as I always scoop these up when playing music from the '70s.


But they are not '70s songs. They belong to the tail end of the 1960s, which started off great, and finished the same way.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:47 pm

I have had a unique experience growing up with so many family members being devout Elvis fans. Naturally I gravitate to what I saw myself: the Elvis of the PFAP DVD.... the SuperHero w/ cape, larger than life, the jet black hair and the jet black guitar, the guy who was going to show you it WAS possible to hold your breath for 60 minutes without even knowing it. That's what I will almost always choose to listen to if I have a choice....to experience again the dark confines of an arena, the echoes of 2001, the sonic and strobe explosions as he comes into view. To this day, 2001 always gives me the goosebumps, no matter what location or rendition. A cartoon versison will cause the hair on my neck to stand up. So I am a 70's guy.

But being here has helped me embrace other periods too: the '50s obviously, but also the fantastic post Army period, the gospel of the mid 60s, the fantastic end of that decade on records and TV. So I love the 1970s Elvis, but I certainly appreciate all of him. And I like to think that I'm passing that love on to my daughter; she claims otherwise, but then I wasn't the one singing "You've Lost That Lovin Feelin" full tilt in the shower last night, including the one liner about the suit being too tight. So....
:lol:

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Christopher Brown wrote:I most prefer the '70s (and spend most of my listening pleasure there) as can be attested to in the two books I wrote, ON TOUR WITH ELVIS and ELVIS IN CONCERT. I always think of 1969 (the Memphis sessions and Las Vegas 1969) as part of the '70s as I always scoop these up when playing music from the '70s.


But they are not '70s songs. They belong to the tail end of the 1960s, which started off great, and finished the same way.



Agree - they belong to the 60's. The Memphis sessions do not even remotely sound like the stuff he started doing in the 70's. They are soulful and not over produced. I never think of them as the 70's even though Kentucky Rain was released in early '70.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:54 pm

It would have been exciting to follow Elvis And The Blue Moon Boys from 1954 to 1955.

I was just browsing

http://www.scottymoore.net/venues.html

and it made me sad. Many of those venues are long gone and so are the people who attended those shows.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:36 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Chris Roberts wrote:Favourite era's;

1 1954 to 1958

2 1960 to 1963

3 1968 to 1970

There are many 'parts' of other era's that I like; The '66 and '67 studio sessions and also 1972 which I consider to be his last good, complete year.


Mine are:

1-1960-1964 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

2-1954-1958 :smt007 :smt007

3-1968-1973 :smt007

Bye for now :smt006.

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Christopher Brown wrote:I most prefer the '70s (and spend most of my listening pleasure there) as can be attested to in the two books I wrote, ON TOUR WITH ELVIS and ELVIS IN CONCERT. I always think of 1969 (the Memphis sessions and Las Vegas 1969) as part of the '70s as I always scoop these up when playing music from the '70s.


But they are not '70s songs. They belong to the tail end of the 1960s, which started off great, and finished the same way.


it's pretty certain to say that many people view Presley's 70s era actually starting in 1968 with the comeback special. Rather than 1970s as such, it is very much the post-comeback era that people refer to.

If I had to choose an era, it would be 1966-72 (but excising the formula film soundtracks from 1966-67). While there is much to enjoy within the professional recordings after 1972, most notably the Stax sessions, the Memphis concert and the Today sessions, there is also a great deal of blandness both on stage and in the studio, most notably the pointless unambitious covers of the likes of Spanish Eyes, She Wears My Ring etc.