Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: do you like a certain ELVIS era ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 am

The 50's. The REAL Elvis!!!!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:The 50's. The REAL Elvis!!!!

That's pretty hard to argue.

So, you don't find "My Boy" -- a top twenty hit in 1975 -- appealing?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:The 50's. The REAL Elvis!!!!

That's pretty hard to argue.

So, you don't find "My Boy" -- a top twenty hit in 1975 -- appealing?

No Doc. You probably guessed what my answer to that was going to be. Elvis in the 70's did nothing for me, apart from the odd song here and there, "Merry Christmas Baby" being one of them. Other than that, zero.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:51 am

Forgot about 1965 !
The summer who brought the LP: " Elvis invited the Beatles on Smashing August night jam session" :wink: :wink:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:09 am

Any period other than Jan 13, 1964 to May 24, 1966 and September 23, 1970 to August 16, 1977.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 am

The Sun era, when Elvis crystallized the rockabilly sound, when all things were bright and new.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:02 am

The 1950s !!!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:20 am

the 1971-1977 era (those are the most i listen to and almost everyday i listen to something from 1971 up to 1977 i just love those concert years )

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:00 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:You probably guessed what my answer to that was going to be. Elvis in the 70's did nothing for me, apart from the odd song here and there, "Merry Christmas Baby" being one of them. Other than that, zero.

I seriously doubt that anyone was trying to guess what your answer was going to be. I just hope that I am never that narrow-minded when it comes to Elvis. Thankfully, I can find enjoyment out of all areas of his career. If I thought the way you do, I really wouldn't care to call myself an Elvis fan. If you limit yourself to liking nothing about the '70s, you miss out on some pretty good stuff. Have a happy!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:06 am

Every era has its charm... it just depends on the mood I'm in

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:17 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Elvis in the 70's did nothing for me, apart from the odd song here and there, "Merry Christmas Baby" being one of them. Other than that, zero.

I'm with you... Elvis really did nothing note-worthy the last 7 years of his career. Just look at this dreadful sampling of recordings during that period...
RCA live recordings from Feb 1970
Stranger in the crowd
Mary in the morning
Just pretend
I really don't want to know
You don't have to say you love me
Funny how times slips away
RCA live recordings from Aug 1970
Burning love
Separate ways
RCA live recordings from MSG
Aloha from Hawaii
Live performance of HGTA Mar '74
Promised Land
Help me
TROUBLE
Pieces of my life
Hurt
Danny boy... and the list goes on...
Common man... How can any Elvis fan dismiss these performances?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:12 am

Similar to what Jimmy said but I look at Elvis like he is two different artists that I like equally but I have more of a soft spot for one. 50s 60S being one artists & 70s being another.

I think I might like the 1960s Elvis the best. This was his return. He looked his best, I love the music Elvis Is Back , he was already established but yet still humbled.

Then the entire 50s is next. I can't even split it up.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:36 am

No, not a certain era.....I just like Elvis. Like theres something for everybody, theres something for me no matter what era.......actually most of each...more or less.
Beeing a fan of Elvis voice in general and the fact that Elvis(IMO) was very good at chosing songs......it`ll make me dislike very few of his recordings.("Padre" being one of the few)

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:29 am

The Top 5 Reasons Why 50s Elvis Rules (Up To 60)

In My Opinion and I know most will disagree especially with the last one but these 5 songs are the ones Elvis felt the most when he sang (Gospel aside) in the 50's.

-Money Honey
-Any Way You Want Me
-Don’t
-I Need Your Love Tonight
-A Mess Of Blues

And the remaining 120+ fall in right behind

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 am

Rob wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:You probably guessed what my answer to that was going to be. Elvis in the 70's did nothing for me, apart from the odd song here and there, "Merry Christmas Baby" being one of them. Other than that, zero.

I seriously doubt that anyone was trying to guess what your answer was going to be. I just hope that I am never that narrow-minded when it comes to Elvis. Thankfully, I can find enjoyment out of all areas of his career. If I thought the way you do, I really wouldn't care to call myself an Elvis fan. If you limit yourself to liking nothing about the '70s, you miss out on some pretty good stuff. Have a happy!

That's my opinion, your gonna have to deal with it my friend.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 am

elvis-fan wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Elvis in the 70's did nothing for me, apart from the odd song here and there, "Merry Christmas Baby" being one of them. Other than that, zero.

I'm with you... Elvis really did nothing note-worthy the last 7 years of his career. Just look at this dreadful sampling of recordings during that period...
Stranger in the crowd
Mary in the morning
Just pretend
Burning love
Separate ways
Aloha from Hawaii
Promised Land
Help me
TROUBLE
Pieces of my life
Hurt

Again, you like what you like and i like what i like...so your gonna have to deal with it.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Stranger in the crowd
Mary in the morning
Just pretend
Burning love
Separate ways
Aloha from Hawaii
Promised Land
Help me
TROUBLE
Pieces of my life
Hurt

Again, you like what you like and i like what i like...so your gonna have to deal with it.

I can deal with it... your just missing out brother...

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:55 am

Rob wrote:

That's a song Elvis cut in 1969. ;-)

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 am

I perfer anything thats good but my favorite lately to play is the concert years, just love them.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 am

memphisound wrote:I perfer anything thats good but my favorite lately to play is the concert years, just love them.

Have you heard 12-15-1956 on Young Man with the Big Beat? Phenomenal show.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:36 am

Yes I have the boxset after A boy from Tupelo all I listened to for months on end it was just 50's so i've went to something different here lately!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 am

The Great Comeback!

Sure, there's a little something even from the worst of times. And the Sun period was, of course, astonishing. And he was nutty as a fox in '56-'57. And I love the film King Creole. And his singing through the early 60s is often off the scale great. And there is the odd gem at other times, too. Sometimes the gems happened more often, sometimes much less often.

But nothing can match the Comeback for me, in its drama, struggle, vulnerability, and triumph. But that's me - it's not a rule.

rjm

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:52 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:That's my opinion, your gonna have to deal with it my friend.

I have no problem dealing with your narrow-mindedness.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 pm

1960-1963 - What a voice!
1969- August 1974 - after that I'm always conscious of his personal problems affecting his work even though there are some excellent performances both live and in the studio. I do enjoy most of Elvis' output, even some mid sixties' soundtracks but more often than not I'm drawn to his music from the within the above time frames.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:54 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Common man... How can any Elvis fan dismiss these performances?

Stranger In The Crowd is pretty crap. Awful lyrics.