Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvisrecords.us
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

The Golden Age of Sound

Post by elvisrecords.us »

I have examples of the Long Play and Living Stereo preview albums, released by RCA Victor as part of the Breck and the "New Golden Age of Sound Albums" promotion. What is interesting is that the original promotion as detailed in July 1959 indicates that of the 24 featured albums, only the Tchaikovsky Concerto No. 1 by Horowitz, Toscanini and the NBC Symphony would be released in regular L.P. (LM-2319) or long play monaural format, then continues to list Elvis Presley as being part of the promotion. Additional promotional material featured in Billboard and Life depict Elvis Presley's A Date with Elvis (LPM-2011) as part of the promotion. This Elvis release would make it a second regular release L.P.

Having discovered two different cover backs for the long play monaural format, one with Elvis Presley's A Date with Elvis (LPM-2011) in the upper left corner and another Chet Atkins' Hummm and Strum Along with Chet Atkins (LPM-2025) and in living stereo Chet Atkins' Hummm and Strum Along with Chet Atkins (LSP-2025), I believe that Elvis Presley was replaced with Chet Atkins from the New Golden Age of Sound Albums promotion.

I have another monaural copy of SP-33-50 in route so should have the image of the back online as soon as I get it.

I have images of the reference materials and albums on my site:
http://www.elvisrecords.us/new-golden-age-of-sound/

Also note, I have discovered (as I haven't found any other documentation on this subject) that there are two different "New Golden Age of Sound Album" printed on Alcoa Wrap wrappers. On with the statement ".... featuring New Miracle Surface" on Living Stereo Records" and the other without. I would bet that one was for the long play monaural and the other for the Living Stereo releases rather than simply a variation in printing. I have pictures of both here.
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-2011-a-date-with-elvis/

Here is the eBay auction with one of the wrappers, a real bargain :) :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130480790364&si=ollnwINH5YnjBtvjID2lzZPEp7k%253D&viewitem=&hash=item4145865cb3

memphisflash

Re: The Golden Age of Sound

Post by memphisflash »

elvisrecords.us wrote:I have examples of the Long Play and Living Stereo preview albums, released by RCA Victor as part of the Breck and the "New Golden Age of Sound Albums" promotion. What is interesting is that the original promotion as detailed in July 1959 indicates that of the 24 featured albums, only the Tchaikovsky Concerto No. 1 by Horowitz, Toscanini and the NBC Symphony would be released in regular L.P. (LM-2319) or long play monaural format, then continues to list Elvis Presley as being part of the promotion. Additional promotional material featured in Billboard and Life depict Elvis Presley's A Date with Elvis (LPM-2011) as part of the promotion. This Elvis release would make it a second regular release L.P.

Having discovered two different cover backs for the long play monaural format, one with Elvis Presley's A Date with Elvis (LPM-2011) in the upper left corner and another Chet Atkins' Hummm and Strum Along with Chet Atkins (LPM-2025) and in living stereo Chet Atkins' Hummm and Strum Along with Chet Atkins (LSP-2025), I believe that Elvis Presley was replaced with Chet Atkins from the New Golden Age of Sound Albums promotion.

I have another monaural copy of SP-33-50 in route so should have the image of the back online as soon as I get it.

I have images of the reference materials and albums on my site:
http://www.elvisrecords.us/new-golden-age-of-sound/

Also note, I have discovered (as I haven't found any other documentation on this subject) that there are two different "New Golden Age of Sound Album" printed on Alcoa Wrap wrappers. On with the statement ".... featuring New Miracle Surface" on Living Stereo Records" and the other without. I would bet that one was for the long play monaural and the other for the Living Stereo releases rather than simply a variation in printing. I have pictures of both here.
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-2011-a-date-with-elvis/

Here is the eBay auction with one of the wrappers, a real bargain :) :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130480790364&si=ollnwINH5YnjBtvjID2lzZPEp7k%253D&viewitem=&hash=item4145865cb3
So, the wrapper in the auction isn't the original for this Elvis MONO album, the seller probably got a hold of one of the lesser rare classical music albums with the Stereo wrapper and put it around the 'A Date With Elvis' album to make a quick buck ... :| excellent info btw, a nice look and read - thanks

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Great research!

Just for fun, I saved the eBay cover image:

A Date With Elvis (RCA LPM 2011, 1959)
"Golden Age of Sound" promotion

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
elvisrecords.us

memphisflash wrote:So, the wrapper in the auction isn't the original for this Elvis MONO album, the seller probably got a hold of one of the lesser rare classical music albums with the Stereo wrapper and put it around the 'A Date With Elvis' album to make a quick buck ... :| excellent info btw, a nice look and read - thanks
I wouldn't necessarily suggest that, I am only speculating that the banners may have been used for respective releases. I don't know for certain, it could very well be a production change. I have bought a few things from this dealer and have been very satisfied. If in fact, the wrapper were from another record from the series, a stereo release, I would have to believe that it is every bit as rare as the other banner, not necessarily by production numbers, however, but what now remains in the collectors universe.

Thank you for the nice look and read.
Last edited by elvisrecords.us on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
elvisrecords.us

drjohncarpenter wrote:Great research!
Thank you, very much Doc! Much appreciated.

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

elvisrecords.us wrote:
memphisflash wrote:So, the wrapper in the auction isn't the original for this Elvis MONO album, the seller probably got a hold of one of the lesser rare classical music albums with the Stereo wrapper and put it around the 'A Date With Elvis' album to make a quick buck ... :| excellent info btw, a nice look and read - thanks
I wouldn't necessarily suggest that, I am only speculating that the banners may have been used for respective releases. I don't know for certain, it could very well be a production change. I have bought a few things from this dealer and have been very satisfied. If in fact, the wrapper were from another record from the series, a stereo release, I would have to believe that it is every bit as rare as the other banner, not necessarily by production numbers, however, but what now remains in the collectors universe.

Thank you for the nice look and read.

Well that could be true, the banner is rare anyhow - I think I've seen it for sale maybe 3 times or so in over ten years ... super collectable though, I would take any off them ;-)