Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
PEP
Registered for: 21 years

Re: JAT "ON THE SPEEDWAY" is NOW OUT !

Post by PEP »

I received my copy of "On The Speedway" in the mail yesterday.
Nothing like getting an Elvis related item in the mail these days', especially when its' something
that is Elvis worthy to have.

No surprise here, but Tunzi has done it again with a little help from his co-presenter Paul Lichter,
where they have both gone out of their way to Not disappoint the Elvis fans.

This book release like most of Tunzi's latest releases, is Hard Cover. Tunzi has once again,
also used a quality photo paper. Most Elvis pictures in the book, are crisp, clean and clear
and of course par for the course, color shots are included in the book and as a extra bonus,
a CD is included which has "Speedway" radio spots and as a added bonus to the CD,
there is a 1960 Press interview included, because Nancy Sinatra was present at the time
to welcome Elvis home from the army and was there to help promote Elvis' up coming TV
show he would be doing with her father Frank Sinatra later that year.
I am pleased to say also, in this new book "On The Speedway" there are at least or close to,
100 new Elvis photographs which have not been seen in print before, nor have been
available on the worldwide Internet either.

This in its self, is something which is getting harder and harder to do, as time passes. Especially
when Elvis Photo authors have to compete with what becomes available on the Internet for free.
So seeing New Elvis pictures for the first time in print, is still pretty exciting for a Elvis fan, because
you know somewhere down the line, the Elvis author isn't getting these pictures for free.

The pictures that most intrigued me and kept me interested in the "On The Speedway" book, were
the behind the scenes photos for this movie. I personally never get bored of seeing candid shots of Elvis.
Elvis was in great shape for this movie and it showed. Elvis I do not think took a bad picture during this period.
Nancy Sinatra wasn't looking all that bad either, I might add.
All in all , another great release to add to your Elvis book collection, by two great Elvis authors.
By the way, one of the reasons I was looking forward to this book "On The Speedway" is because it is
one of my top 10 Elvis movies to watch. I first saw this movie, when it was released back in 68', I was 9 years old at the time.

A couple of things' I remember back then, it was one of the last Elvis movies I can remember where
the line ups to see his latest movie went around the block in my home town.

It also was one of the last Elvis movies to be played at our Capital Theater. A number of years later
the theater was torn down. The theater by the way, held over 1,500 seats.
From what I remember, this movie like most Elvis movies up until that time, were Sold Out, when first released in my home town
and to have 1,500 seats Sold Out for a Elvis movie right up to 1968. I think the E man was still considered something special in the
movie business. I also remember, when my older bother bought the "Speedway" Album,
back in 68', I thought this was one of the coolest Album covers I had seen for a Elvis movie.
It was one of the first Elvis stereo Albums, which my older bother had bought too.
Knowing what we know now, buying the mono album would have been the better bet,
as the mono "Speedway" album is one of the rarest, as it was one of the last Elvis albums
during the 60's to be released in that format.

So, with the release of "On The Speedway" this brings back some good memories.

Glad to see Tunzi & Lichter decided to release what they did.

That's a wrap !
"Buy " the book, you won't be disappointed you did.

PEP 8)

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Glad you liked it PEP.

Mike Eder

Elvisfan10
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Elvisfan10 »

Where can we purchase Tunzi's books?

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Well on his web site or any on the online Elvis stores. Ebay always has some

Mike Eder

Elvisfan10
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Elvisfan10 »

Mike Eder wrote:Well on his web site or any on the online Elvis stores. Ebay always has some
That sucks since I don't order anything online.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 19 years

Post by ritchie valens »

now if the session reels can be located would be great.
yes nancy can sing. clean out your ear wax.
biggest hit these boots are made for walking..

TONY
Registered for: 21 years

Post by TONY »

I got a bit of a shock whilst thumbing thru the first 30 pages of this to find pictures of Elvis in the army, pictures of a 1967 beauty contest (!), a picture of Jackie Wilson, shots of Norman Taurog in an ill fitting baseball hat and pics of Elvis in 1970 and 1971 (?), but then the "Speedway" / Elvis involvement starts proper on page 30. The book brings together all those Speedway shots you would have seen in "Elvis Monthly" and other such magazines 40 years ago, plus around (in my estimation) around 90 'new' / previously unseen shots. The best ones are the publicity stills and end of cast party pictures towards the end of the book. Elvis looks great throughout. The 'bonus' cd contains 2 very short radio spots which are repeated (?) and a 1960 press conference at Fort Dix (?). Whether this one deserves a hardback edition which bumps the price up to over £40 including postage is up to the individual and how much money you're prepared to pay for a book based on one of Elvis' lighter film efforts.
Elvisfan10 wrote:That sucks since I don't order anything online.

How do you buy ANY Elvis product then if you don't buy online???