Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Can we please not talk about bloody soundboartd tapes on this thread???
A 59 year old healthy young man has just died instantly in a tragic accident. Surely our thoughts need to be for his family, friends, and ...well... thoughts of Bruce himself and thank him for all he has done for us through the years.

So very sad.


+1

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Bruce gave an interview to Backstreets last week.

http://backstreets.com/news.html

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:57 pm

elvisjock wrote:Bruce gave an interview to Backstreets last week.

http://backstreets.com/news.html


The day before his death. Man that's sad.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:16 pm

Here are some comments from Praytome Publishing:

"In the Elvis world Jackson is known for his work in the Elvis Tour crew from 1971-77 where he was in charge for the acoustics and the sound technology. Jackson can also be credited for taping dozens of the King's concerts. During the research for Charles Stone's book, photographer Ed Bonja (who works for Praytome Publishing) reestablished contact to Bruce Jackson. A lot of people tried to get in touch with Jackson, but he never gave detailed information about his time he had with the Elvis entourage. After having seen the quality of the Praytome Publishing products he offered to contribute information and pictures from his private collection. These pictures were published for the first time in My Years with Elvis and The Colonel by Charles Stone.

Jackson also was involved in the works for the upcoming Praytome Publishing book Elvis on Tour '72 by Ed Bonja. As it seems, Jackson's involvement into this project can not be continued unfortunately."

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:36 am

Image

Rest in peace, to the soul and memory of Bruce Jackson and condolences to his friends and family.











.......




P.S.

As a very minor point, and with all due respect, and not to start a discussion about it, but I wouldn't say quite 59 was a "young man" as I've seen in a few places . However, my father died somewhat younger in his '50s and a coworker and mentor of mine died ten years ago after surgery at 59, so I certainly know how young that can seem..and yes, is given how long we can live if health and fortune allow it. Anyway, all said respectfully of course.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:50 am

59 is young.

I have friends of a similar age who have very young children.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:52 am

Well, 59 is too young to die, that's for sure.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:55 am

Rob wrote:Well, 59 is too young to die, that's for sure.

Certainly - and in this case via a tragic accident. Does anyone know if more details have been released?

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:52 am

:cry: No i have not heard ANY details about the Accident, but unlike John Denver i bet he had FUEL in the plane when he took off!. A brief tribute on page 28 of today's Daily Telegraph in Australia and i make note the rather accurate Wikipedia entry has been updated too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Jack ... ngineer%29

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:51 am

YDKM wrote:...unlike John Denver i bet he had FUEL in the plane when he took off....


You don't mean to tell me that John Denver died because he ran out of fuel?? OMG! What was he thinking!?

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:20 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
YDKM wrote:...unlike John Denver i bet he had FUEL in the plane when he took off....


You don't mean to tell me that John Denver died because he ran out of fuel?? OMG! What was he thinking!?


Thats the story Jerry Scheff told me, HOWEVER a work colleague who is a pilot explained to me that Denver's plane was a home made prototype. As you may know, planes carry their fuel in their wings. Every so often, one wings becomes emptier than the other so the fuel switch needs to kick in and allow fuel from the other wing to be used - this maintains the planes balance.
In Denver's prototype, he had to manually switch the fuel tanks over every 15 minutes (this is not unusual for small or light aircraft) to keep the small plane balanced, but here's the key: the switches were behind his shoulders. Now, when you fly planes, especially small ones, you manage your wing-flaps with your feet and the sterring with your hands. As Denver truned in his seat to switch the fuel he inadvertantly pushed his opposite foot down on one of the wingflap pedals (its no different to putting your seatbelt on in the car and accidently hitting the accelerator). At 300 foot after take off, Denver had no hope in straightening out his plane which was now in a sharp downward sideways motion at over 200 kmph.
BTW - the prototype was changed and the model now has the fuel switches on the pilots front panel.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Jim Dandy wrote: Denver's plane was a home made prototype. As you may know, planes carry their fuel in their wings. Every so often, one wings becomes emptier than the other so the fuel switch needs to kick in and allow fuel from the other wing to be used - this maintains the planes balance.
In Denver's prototype, he had to manually switch the fuel tanks over every 15 minutes (this is not unusual for small or light aircraft) to keep the small plane balanced, but here's the key: the switches were behind his shoulders. Now, when you fly planes, especially small ones, you manage your wing-flaps with your feet and the sterring with your hands. As Denver truned in his seat to switch the fuel he inadvertantly pushed his opposite foot down on one of the wingflap pedals (its no different to putting your seatbelt on in the car and accidently hitting the accelerator). At 300 foot after take off, Denver had no hope in straightening out his plane which was now in a sharp downward sideways motion at over 200 kmph.
BTW - the prototype was changed and the model now has the fuel switches on the pilots front panel.


Very interesting and very sad.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Very sad to hear about Bruce Jackson :(

RIP sir.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:59 is young.

I have friends of a similar age who have very young children.


Rob wrote:Well, 59 is too young to die, that's for sure.


I can agree with that, Rob, as by any definition someone is clearly middle-aged if not at the end of middle age and typically a grandfather sort of age by then.

But I hear you: It's too young to die. (Rob, you stick around now, heah?)

I hope to break some family longevity records when I hit my early 60s in twenty years...

Image

Interesting about John Denver, as I recall it was interepreted by many casually following the news that it was a form of suicide from to " to not fly with enough gas" rather than a poor fuel-tank switching issue that Jim Dandy offers as the explanation.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:59 is young.

I have friends of a similar age who have very young children.


Rob wrote:Well, 59 is too young to die, that's for sure.


I can agree with that, Rob, as by any definition someone is clearly middle-aged if not at the end of middle age and typically a grandfather sort of age by then.

But I hear you: It's too young to die. (Rob, you stick around now, heah?)

I hope to break some family longevity records when I hit my early 60s in twenty years...

Image

Interesting about John Denver, as I recall it was interepreted by many casually following the news that it was a form of suicide from to " to not fly with enough gas" rather than a poor fuel-tank switching issue that Jim Dandy offers as the explanation.


Blimey! I can think of easy forms of suicide than crash landing a prototype into the sea!

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Well, right. So Jim, is the point that Denver actually had not intention of dying that day? I recall it was taken that he was either purposely careless or intentionally trying to crash his plane. Dandy's explanation, while sad, sounds much more credible. Is this generally accepted now?

I grew up hearing John Denver (a.k.a. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.) all over the radio and on TV and he was a bit omnipresent at times. But in hindsight, he did an awful lot of music that, when I hear it today, makes me very nostalgic.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Remember that some people die when they are 33, 42, 54 or even 16...but ok he was too young anyway...Everybody gets the time they get...It's russian roulette...

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:42 am

Sad to hear!
R.I.P. Bruce
Seems like he was way ahead in time when we talk bout concert audio.
Remember that some people die when they are 33, 42, 54 or even 16...but ok he was too young anyway...Everybody gets the time they get...It's russian roulette...

Hi Ton, Your right & we are fortunate not to know the date!!!

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:02 am

Here's a message from Bruce back in 2003 when were discussing the Pittsburgh show and the footage of when he held Lisa Marie up as Elvis intruduced her (http://img694.imageshack.us/i/1tu.mp4/), as well as the hand written lyrics to My Way (on the back you will be able to see the typed lyrics to I'll Never Fall In Love Again). Apologies for having to deface the picture - you know what bootleggers are like!


"Hi Evan,



Any chance of getting a copy of that footage of me in Pittsburg?



I went through a bunch of stuff for a magazine article for Live Sound magazine. It wasn't on Elvis but I did come across some old photos and also this lyric sheet Elvis used. If the song was obscure or he didn't do it often and wasn't sure of the words, Charlie would write them out and keep them handy. I saved this one because it was very touching; little did I know it would be even more meaningful. It's on a legal size sheet, with the words type written on one side (photocopied) and hand written in blue pen on the other. I'm enclosing it because I thought you would get a kick out of it. My scanner isn't legal sized.



Later,



Bruce"
Image

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:08 am

deleted
Last edited by Jim Dandy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:16 am

Bruce got a kick out of photos of he and Elvis together. I would recommend he add them to his CV should he ever need a job!

Austin Texas 28 March 1977 - from one of Shaver's books:
Image

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:24 am

R.I.P. thanks for the memories.

JEFF d
EP fan

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:34 am

was it on feb 1? if it was it was two days bfr the anniversary of the feb 3,1959 crash of buddy,ritchie and bopper.

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:16 am

I said (via text) the exact same thing to Jim Dandy!

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:18 am

Thanks for the photos and updates, Jim Dandy