Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:34 am

This is the flip side to the My Way lyric sheet. Apologies again for the "watermark" - it's better than nothing I guess.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:52 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
I hope to break some family longevity records when I hit my early 60s in twenty years...

I knew you weren't 56 or 57 years old.

Steve L.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:This is the flip side to the My Way lyric sheet. Apologies again for the "watermark" - it's better than nothing I guess.

Great stuff Jim.
I often wondered if Bruce could actually enjoy great performances such as unchained Melody, HGTA etc..
I mean in the end the hundreds of shows were "just work" for him..

Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Folks

To echo other comments on some remarks, it's not the place or even the time to discuss tapes.

People obviously are moved enough to send their condolences, but there is also talk of tapes. This is akin to bringing up the grubby topic of money as soon as a person passes away.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:15 pm

R.I.P. Bruce

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Before this thread gets out of hand, my intention to upload those scans was to demonstrate BJ's generosity and humility with sharing his knowledge with me, which you will find are common descriptions that his colleagues are currently posting on numerous sound, light & staging, and light aircraft websites.. There are a lot of genralisations and assumptions being made in the Elvis World about him that in my opinion simply aren't true.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Many years ago, a friend lent me a set of photos she shot at the 1977 Providence show. This happened long before I became acquainted with any of the people that worked on the tours. She told me how she asked the sound guys if they would snap a few shots of Elvis with her camera. They got a couple, but mostly they goofed on her, and took pictures of themselves, which, of course, she didn't discover until the film was processed.

I threw those pictures away, since Elvis wasn't in them. I need to find her, and hope she still has them. They'd be interesting to see after all these years. I'm sure Bruce was in that collection of self-portraits.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:55 am

Here's some photos BJ took at the Pontiac show. He always referred to this show and the amount of preparation that went in to the stage design and speaker stacks, and another reason why this show stuck out to him was because he recorded it on reel to reel 1/4 inch tape (10 inch reels) BUT was soon recorded over by Roy Claire who needed tape for a Moody Blues gig!
These images were used about seven years ago with a heap of others for an industry presentation BJ did on his career which was soundtracked by references by Elvis about or to Bruce (including the infamous "One more feedback Bruce and this goes up your a**hole" comment and also included a bit of footage. It was compiled by our very own "Sizzling Sausages" 'Ray'. again, sorry for the coloured marks but I am sure you get the picture. Note the casette tape on the table as well!

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:12 am

Jim Dandy wrote:"One more feedback Bruce and this goes up your a**hole"

If Elvis was in fact talking to Bruce during this Texas concert, he didn't mention him by name.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:19 pm

[quote="Jim Dandy"]Image

Great pic Jim (also published in Charles Stone's book)

Bruce must have been on stage handling the on stage monitor mixing desk.
Elvis wasn't too happy with the sound on stage, but I heard the sound in the stadium was just fine..

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:35 am

There will be a memorium for BJ at the Sydney Opera House at 10am, 25 February for family, friends and colleagues. I am not sure if it is "open" to all, but it'll be a tear jerker nonetheless.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:43 pm

:cry: hope i am allowed to go and i'm just so sad already :roll: :|

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Meet me at Circular Quay

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:02 am

Thank you for sharing all these rare pictures. BJ looked like a very nice and positive person. So sad that he had to go so early.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks for sharing the photos. RIP Bruce.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:52 am

:cry: Well i just got back to work after attending the 90 minute memorial service with Jim Dandy at the Sydney Opera House :cry: . It was extremely moving and when heavy weights like Roy Claire made speeches you just KNEW of the significance of the man! Bruce Springstein made a nice video presentation and so did U2 and i remember particularily the excellent speech by his Nephew, daughters & Opera House sound man as being 'phenominal' maybe it was of Zero surprise but the whole memory & tributes ran without a hitch-even a string orchestra clasical piece heard on a Bruce installed sound system the sound was superb. Of cource the Bruce Elvis Birthday greetings from June 3rd 1976 were heard too.This was being podcast too. I reckon maybe nearly 500 people attended and drinks were served in a bar after the service ended at 12 noon. I have been to several funeral services in the last few years and you could sum up this one as thoroughly comprehensive and professional. Jim Dandy would know but a podcast link might be available.We had a brief chat to one of his daughters and then left.From the many, MANY presentations made here during the service he really was unique in the sound industry and most likely tremendously innovative.A great sad loss.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Did they play the "Do you wanna eat this microphone" line?

Thanks for sharing the details. Sounds like a very nice service.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:46 am

Thanks for the updates fellow Aussie fans

Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:05 am

:| no they did NOT play that 'do you want to eat this microphone mine'(as it would probably be deemed as NOT in good taste) but at the start of the service from put together soundboard they had Elvis saying "From Australia, Bruce Jackson Adios"...and that sure made a lump in my throat!. Of cource when professionals in the industry who worked with him were producing the service you expected it to be 'smooth running + VERY professional' and it was! It made you realise that quietly and all those years Bruce was another Genous in his particular field of Sound Engineer and i (didn't know it) but he had studied and done things at the SAME university where i work now! obviously i steel feel deeply sad and moved, but i'm afraid life goes on for us living and listening to the new 26.8.69 FTD is a good way to carry on........ :wink:
Last edited by YDKM on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:17 pm

The family photo's really bring it home for me. Poor fella. Poor family.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:29 am

Yes Bruce was way too modest to ever talk about how good he was but from the industry heavyweights it was obvious they held him in very high regards as a pioneer in that field -despite them admitting he could(apparently) be a pain in the backside with his endless striving towards sound perfection. Barbara Streisand send a touching message and although i never knew him-its obvious not only was this a great loss and too soon, but he was much loved and his equipment made will live on in those that use it! every day!~~ :roll:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:27 am

The Wikipedia entry has been up-dated, and i found it extremely COMPREHENSIVE and well worth educating yourself by reading it:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Jack ... ngineer%29

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 am

I thought is was appropriate to re-ignite this sad thread on BJ's second anniversary and also not hi-jack the Sherif Hanna thead. Anyway, just real quick because I have to bail to pick up my kiod, but I thought you guys might like to see part of the email exchanges I was haing with Bruce just before he died and some of the photos he took of the tapes he found that he was going to lend me. Will post more if there is any interest (and when I have the time). Also, I have deleted some names and email addresses for obvious reasons:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 am

Jim Dandy wrote:I thought is was appropriate to re-ignite this sad thread on BJ's second anniversary and also not hi-jack the Sherif Hanna thead. Anyway, just real quick because I have to bail to pick up my kiod, but I thought you guys might like to see part of the email exchanges I was haing with Bruce just before he died and some of the photos he took of the tapes he found that he was going to lend me. Will post more if there is any interest (and when I have the time). Also, I have deleted some names and email addresses for obvious reasons:

May Bruce's family be doing OK on this second anniversary.

As for the posting, it's very hard to understand if there is any great significance to the image in the email.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am

There is nothing particularly significant about the email except it shows part of the conversation I was having with Bruce that day and the picture of the tape he'd found. We didn't always discuss Elvis, but Elvis was the basis of the 'friendship'. As I was in a rush this arvo, and this was the first email I found from Bruce, my logic figured general fans of Bruce and rock & roll might be interested in excerpts of what BJ had to say, aside from the Elvis related tape. Hope this helps, and apologies for any confusion. Let me know if its generally considered inappropriate and I'll remove it.
Thx.