Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Elvis Unlimited is sad to brake the news that Bruce Jackson went down with his plane over death valley this weekend.

No reports yet other than he was alone. Our thoughts goes to his family!

Henrik - www.elvisunlimited.com

Re: Sound-man Bruce Jackson Died

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Very sad to hear,indeed.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Shocking!

Way too young, what a great career the man had.
I had a brief email conversation with him years ago where he answered some questions and was very respectful to Elvis.
A sad day for Elvis & Springsteen fans.

RIP Bruce "Goose"

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:34 pm

Sad news!

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:45 pm

RIP Bruce
sad Time for the Elvis team :cry:

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Haven't seen any confirmation of this yet, but sad to hear.

"Bruce Jackson, from Australia. Stand up, Bruce."

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Just so sad...RIP..Bruce..

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Sad news...
and I wonder what will happen with all Elvis' soundboards he had... I just hope they won't be detroyed as his last will :|
http://www.livesoundint.com/features/bruce/hist.php
Last edited by JimmyCool on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Poor guy

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:05 pm

RIP Bruce. :cry:

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 pm

R.I.P. Bruce

I just wonder what will be done with the soundboard tapes. Hope they are safe and protected.

And he still was young!

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 pm

That's really sad news.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Renan wrote:R.I.P. Bruce

I just wonder what will be done with the soundboard tapes. Hope they are safe and protected.

And he still was young!

Protected from what? People that could release these tapes?

R.I.P. Bruce Jackson. Sad news again in the Elvis world in a very short time.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 pm

mountaindog wrote:
Protected from what? People that could release these tapes?

I guess he meant from someone throwing them to the garbage!

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 pm

Oh wow! That is really sad news! Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Jackson worked with two of the greatest: Elvis Presley and Bruce Springsteen.

Man, this is a shocking bit of news. My prayers are with his family today.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:39 pm

RIP Bruce Jackson, sound engineering has lost one of the greats.

I'm sure his soundboard collection is the last thing on the family's mind right now. Frankly I'm surprised the tapes are even being mentioned here outside of tributes of thanks for the shows we've been lucky to hear already.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Matthew wrote:RIP Bruce Jackson, sound engineering has lost one of the greats.

I'm sure his soundboard collection is the last thing on the family's mind right now. Frankly I'm surprised the tapes are even being mentioned here outside of tributes of thanks for the shows we've been lucky to hear already.

+1

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:07 pm

No news on the couple of Springsteen sites I checked. Nothing on Google.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:14 pm

elvisjock wrote:No news on the couple of Springsteen sites I checked. Nothing on Google.

Hmm. Found something here:

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bruce Jackson Died

Bruce Jackson, sound engineer for Elvis Presley in the seventies, died. He went down with his plane over Death Valley.

(Source: Elvis-Express / Elvis Australia / ElvisMatters / Elvis Unlimited)

http://elv75.blogspot.com/

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 pm

It appears the crash was in Palm Springs, not Death Valley.

More information found here:

Tribute To Bruce Jackson
by Chris Gilbey at 06:03AM (EST) on February 2, 2011

It must be one of those weeks.

This morning I got a skype message from my friend, Ervin, in San Francisco, to tell me the sad news that Bruce Jackson had died in a plane crash in Palm Springs over the weekend.

Bruce was one of the legends of the live sound business in Australia - and worldwide.

As a young man, still at school, Bruce was a mad tinkerer with electronics. He build amplifiers and broadcast transmitters in his bedroom. He experimented and invented and discovered... And he built from the ground up what was to become the largest sound re-inforcement business in Australia - Jands. He sold that and moved to the USA and became the front of house sound man for Elvis Presley. That put him in the orbit of the Clair Brothers who supplied sound re-inforcement for Elvis, and that led to Roy Clair investing in a business that Bruce started to build to create a new digital platform for speaker management.

That was when I met Bruce. Bruce was close friends with David McGrath, one of the founders of Lake Technology, and they were busy inventing together. Lake bought the company from Clair Brothers, and we brought the Lake Contour to market in about 2004 and it revolutionized live sound speaker management because it introduced efficiencies theretofore unimagined.

Bruce continued at Lake after the sale of the company to Dolby. But I think that when the speaker management side of the business was sold, because it wasn't producing enough money, I think that he must have become somewhat disappointed.

Bruce's other big passion was flying. He had had a pilot's license for probably over 30 years and owned his own plane, that he kept in Santa Monica. I flew with him back and forth from Santa Monica to San Francisco on numerous occasions. And as I was saying to Ervin, when he told me the sad news this morning, I often used to think to myself as I boarded the plane...."only one engine on this thing... I hope we don't have engine trouble up there..." We never did. But apparently something went wrong for Bruce over the weekend.

Sad to see you go, Bruce....

http://www.perceptric.com/blog/_archives/2011/2/2/4740446.html

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:RIP Bruce Jackson, sound engineering has lost one of the greats.

+1

+2

RIP.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Wow, what a mighty sad time in the Elvis (and Bruce) world. R.I.P.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Is this the plane crash that's being referred to:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/01/ ... 296499791/

BIG BEAR, Calif., Jan. 31 (UPI) -- The crash of a small plane into a house right after takeoff in California is being investigated by federal authorities.

It could take months before it is known why the twin-engine Piper Comanche struck a house in Big Bear Sunday morning, Ian Gregor of the Federal Aviation Administration told the Riverside Press-Enterprise.

The plane had taken off from Big Bear airport moments before and may have been trying to return because of a problem.

The plane crashed through the roof of one home, flipped onto its nose and came down between two houses. Fuel was leaking when firefighters arrived, the Big Bear City Fire Department said.

The pilot, who was in the plane alone and was not identified, was helicoptered to a hospital with a trauma center with moderate to severe injuries.

A person in the home, also not identified, sustained minor injuries, Gregor said.

The plane was registered to Tower General Contractors in the San Fernando Valley, FAA records show.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/01/ ... z1Ck4adIqH

or this one:

http://www.nationalaviationlaw.com/avia ... ar-school/

A plane crashed close to a California high school, the LA Times reports.

The plane crashed near St. Lucy’s High School in Glendora. The plane crashed in a steep ravine near the school, and firefighters had to be lowered into the area.

It was not reported if any students were hurt as a result of the California plane crash.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:50 pm

RIP Bruce. My thoughts are with his family, and to my dear old mate, Jim Dandy!