Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis is no longer collectable?. You must be kidding!.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Elvis LP's, singles, CD's, DVD's, VHS-tapes, magazines, books et cetera do not sell even if you ask only € 1,00 (about $ 1,45) each.
That means it is NOT collectable anymore.
I know SOME items fetch good prices, but the majority of people were not alive in 1956 so they do not have original Sun records or other limited edition items.
Meantime in used records shops and on used goods market stalls I see more and more Elvis LP's that are not the usual "greatest hits" compilations.
In the past you'd hardly see the regular titles, only those cheap releases like "A portrait in music".
Even that wellknown re-issue label for "out of copyright" songs, Weton-Wesgram, is not very active these days!

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:23 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:Elvis LP's, singles, CD's, DVD's, VHS-tapes, magazines, books et cetera do not sell even if you ask only € 1,00 (about $ 1,45) each.
I know SOME items fetch good prices, but the majority of people were not alive in 1956 so they do not have original Sun records or other limited edition items.
Meantime in used records shops and on used goods market stalls I see more and more Elvis LP's that are not the usual "greatest hits" compilations.
In the past you'd hardly see the regular titles, only those cheap releases like "A portrait in music".
Even that wellknown re-issue label for "out of copyright" songs, Weton-Wesgram, is not very active these days!

I think by now we know your point of view, Luuk. It is cristal clear and I do agree with the fact that most mainstream collectables have lost its value by now.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:39 pm

When one collects Elvis CDs and the likes, how many actually think about their resale value? It never crosses my mind. Of everything that I own, not one time have I ever thought about how much I could get from it if I sell it. I didn't buy these things to turn around and sell them. Whenever I have something that I no longer need, someone here will be glad to have it, so I just give it to them. It really doesn't matter to me if someone out there thinks a certain album, CD, book, photograph, is worth anything or not. What is it worth to the person who owns it? To me, everything I have is valuable. To some, what I have may not be worth a hill of beans. Some day, when I've checked out, everything is going to wind up in boxes stored away until someone down the line knows someone else who has an uncle who has a friend of a cousin that collects this stuff. Then it will all belong to him. Value is in the eye of the beholder. To some, a soundboard recording does nothing for them. They couldn't care less. To others like me, we'll be interested in them and collect them until they cease to exist.

What do YOU think is collectable? Damn what anyone else thinks.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Alexander wrote:
Lexie1973 wrote:Sorry Alex, but it's really hanging in our home [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
If you think this is crap I have a lot more for you to see over here! Stop by anytime when you're in the neighborhood!

Thanks for answering with a sence of good humour. My post was not meant offensive although I truely have problems understanding why some fans actually collect trashy souvenir stuff like this. I guess your sence of humour is better than your sence of taste then... :wink:

Thanks for the invitation BTW... If you have a great record collection I am happy to drop by. To see this clock in its full ugglyness, no thanks. :D

I'm not offended in any way. When me and the wife saw the clock we at first thought it was over the top. But then again; wouldn't it make a great conversation piece? We thought it would an it certainly has proven itself like that. People who visit us always respond to it. Most of them like you do by the way :-)

And if you come by we have about 7 or 800 Elvis cd's, about half of them bootlegs. So don't worry, we also collect the serious stuff...

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Alexander wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:Elvis LP's, singles, CD's, DVD's, VHS-tapes, magazines, books et cetera do not sell even if you ask only € 1,00 (about $ 1,45) each.

I think by now we know your point of view, Luuk. It is cristal clear and I do agree with the fact that most mainstream collectables have lost its value by now.

I'm not Luuk

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:40 pm

in 2008 a Vegas 69 menu would cost $500-$600.... by 2011 you could get one for HALF that price.... and not all that better now~! :?

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:46 pm

YDKM wrote:in 2008 a Vegas 69 menu would cost $500-$600.... by 2011 you could get one for HALF that price.... and not all that better now~! :?

I saw one sell at 200.00 not too long ago on ebay. The hardcore memorabilia collector really wants the rarer 50's EPE items over any Vegas items. They still sell well, especially the really hard to find items like the school binder, pencil box, earrings on the card, sneakers, doll, etc. Good luck finding them though!

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:47 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

And here we go again......... ::rocks. Elvis is still very much collectable. Damn it, those obsessive collecting habits :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Elvis Presley. LPM-1254. $1,239.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-O ... true&rt=nc

Elvis Presley. 2013 HMW Limited Pink Vinyl. $132.75
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELVIS-PRESLEY-H ... true&rt=nc

Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:11 pm

There's a nice collectable golden piano for sale!

Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:26 pm

well, you can add or out a lt of stuff and that doesn't mean that you gonn asell it. I have a bunch of stuff for sale here on the forum and on eBay and I tell you thjat I sold only few of them and it took a long time. I has a Celine Dion Promo cd that I put on eBay and in less than a minute it was sold!
steve

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:52 pm

McCartney did a CD signing in London last week. They were immediately getting over 1,000 dollars on ebay. This for a guy who is still living and out & about. I'd say that's pretty darn collectible. Imagine if it was on a Beatles piece. From my experience on ebay, Beatles items dwarf Elvis items in bid money & how fast they sell.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:36 pm

If Elvis would be collectable, how come this CD (and other Elvis titles) does not sell for € 1,00 (about $ 1.47)?

http://www.speurders.nl/lopend/page/2/e ... 64167.html

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:28 pm

Some more Elvis goodies. Love it, he is definitely really collectable 8). Bye for now :smt006.

U.S.A Moody Blue AFL1-2428 Yellow Vinyl. $1.025.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELVIS-PRESLEY-M ... true&rt=nc

U.S.A. For Lp Fans Only LPM-1990 Rare Mono Release. $1,025.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-For-LP-Fa ... true&rt=nc

U.S.A Elvis´Gold Records Vol 4 LPM-3921 In VG condition. $610.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-E ... true&rt=nc

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 pm

As pointed out earlier in this thread, a rare piece is a rare piece and there will always be a collector willing to pay a high price for these items, but generally the prices for the more common Elvis items have dropped drastically in the last 10 years. As someone who sells on ebay, I can tell you the Beatles sell & move more items and at a better price. A butcher cover album while more common that the items posted here always sells high. Just look at R&R auctions. Beatles autographs go for outrageous money. This was not the case just 10 years ago but is now a constant. Anyone can make a case for someone being highly collectible. List a Stones Street Fighting Man sleeve on ebay and it will dwarf both Elvis & The Beatles combined. Does that make the Stones more collectible? No, but that item is. Overall Elvis items have dropped in value recently while Beatles items have not, but certain Elvis items will always be collectible and sell big. This may change as the years roll on though. I have a friend who cannot get the money he wants for his 5 Suns. He is ready to sell but said he had offers for big money 8 years ago, but no longer.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:58 am

Why do ppl think they can retire by selling common beatles and elvis records on ebay when its flooded with the common ones? some ppl think the blue moody blue is worth 100.00 +dollars it only books 10.00 in the us price guides the black vinyl 1st press is the rarer one. books 200.00 now.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:27 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Why do ppl think they can retire by selling common beatles and elvis records on ebay when its flooded with the common ones? some ppl think the blue moody blue is worth 100.00 +dollars it only books 10.00 in the us price guides the black vinyl 1st press is the rarer one. books 200.00 now.

The black one may book for 200 but you may never get that price. I've seen sellers accept 75-100 for it because its not THAT rare. Whatever book values are, they are inflated for most items. Only the super rare items get their book value.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:32 pm

Original vinyl from 54-77, is probably the only thing that for me is collectable. Just the U.S.A. I am glad I stopped after
I had most of it in mint condition. It's is very cool for me what everyone bought back in the day of original release. i probably have all the FTD's and major imports. But I don't cross check. Too time consuming. It's hard or impossible to have a life collecting Elvis. Especially if one has family. But, (not my case) if one has Elvis as part of an economic living. That's another story. It's work.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:06 pm

O.K here we go again. Is Elvis still collectable? :roll:. Of course, no doubts! 8). If I were rich....... :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Elvis Presley – Lot of Four (4) – original 78 RPM SUN record singles. $3,550.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-L ... true&rt=nc

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:11 pm

There are more original :smt003 Sun records sold now than in 1954-1955.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 am

Elvis Presley - Roustabout - (DJ Sleeve) RCA Victor SP-45-139 1964

Winning bid:US $696.51

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370958542011 ... 1423.l2649
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:22 am

And this has been on ebay for at least 2 years that I know of. Was originally listed at a much higher price. Granted its not a classic collectible like the one above, but it is a very uncommon picture sleeve. In the 80's I would have swooped this one up at this price. Now I dont care. others apparently dont either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-C ... 2c6e39bbf0

Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Have 5 Elvis CD's on Dutch sites at € 1,00 ($ 1.40) each for months and months. Nobody is interested.
I could put them up at eBay but then I end up with € 0,12 per CD if sold or lose money when they do not sell.
Elvis in general is not collectable anymore. Period.
Now of course the usual suspects (dealers?!) come up with items that sold for a high price, but these are very rare items and to be honest I often doubt these are real as a lot of rare items are "reproduced".

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:55 pm

I'll bet that in ten years the new Beatles "BBC" release will be worth much more money than "The nations fav. Elvis songs" will.... Because there a so much fewer of Them :smt005

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:08 pm

alanfalk wrote:I'll bet that in ten years the new Beatles "BBC" release will be worth much more money than "The nations fav. Elvis songs" will.... Because there a so much fewer of Them :smt005

Neither will be worth anything. New CDS are not collectible. Even FTDs. There are some on ebay right now starting for 14.99. As observed before, only real rare pieces of vinyl are the ones that get any interest from bidders like the Roustabout piece above. Its extremely rare and there will always be interest. As a seller on ebay for about 12 years now, I can tell you from experience, Beatles outsell Elvis as far as normal record releases go. A mono Beatles album from the 60's in prsitine condtion will always do better than an Elvis album, except for Speedway or Gold 4 in mono but even they wont beat a first generation Butcher cover . Same holds true for 45s with pic sleeves. Its just the way it is. Even Suns have lost value because many seem to be selling them in the last few years.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:28 pm

alanfalk wrote:I'll bet that in ten years the new Beatles "BBC" release will be worth much more money than "The nations fav. Elvis songs" will.... Because there a so much fewer of Them :smt005

Spot on! smt174. Bye for now :smt006.