Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

LP Sound Quality Difference?

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:25 pm

In the 80s when I listened to Elvis on LP I always wondered why there was a difference in sound quality on various vinyl versions of the same title.
I remember I had RCA Victor (LSP-4460) edition of Country (orange label) and also a RCA-International (NLxxxx) version and the sound on that one was "crap" in comparison.

Also does the various type number on releases mean anything.....like LSP,APL or CPL to name a few??

Off Topic,got my first 3 FTD vinyls today.......first LPs I have bought in 25 years :smt119

Re: LP Sound Quality Difference?

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:42 pm

The best sound quality for LP's is on Japanese pressings.
USA pressings also have a wider frequency range.
German and other European pressings have the frequency cut because they could print more copies of one stamper.
That is why European printings usually sound poorer than USA or Japanese printings.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Would that be why JAP PAPER SLEEVE CDS sound better than the Euro versions , less pressed in one go ?

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:36 pm

The reasons that there is a difference soundwise on different vinyl "was" that pressingplants all over the world got "slave" tapes made from the mastertape. In those days there was slaves made from slaves and for each generation of tape there was a degrade. Most of you out there know what happens when you make a copy of an vhs tape. Most of these problem is gone as everything is in the digital domain. I never heard that EU pressing plants should have made more vinyl copies but the US was nearer to the master tapes, than EU pressing plants was.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:30 pm

KingElvis wrote:Also does the various type number on releases mean anything.....like LSP,APL or CPL to name a few??

LPM is Long Play Mono
LSP is Long Stereo Play

Don't know what any of the others mean I'm afraid..

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Everyone has their preferences, mine being vinyl pressings from the US. I have found UK pressings that used the same stampers as US pressings though, so RCA must have had stampers sent instead of copies of the master tapes for at least some of the albums.

I believe the Japan vinyl was cut from copies of master tapes, and that they tweaked the EQ a bit (which is not to my liking). However, the quality of the vinyl itself used for some of the Japan pressings is very nice.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Luuk wrote:German and other European pressings have the frequency cut because they could print more copies of one stamper.
That is why European printings usually sound poorer than USA or Japanese printings.

I think both "Country" versions from topic was pressed in Germany........not 100% sure regarding international version but
Rca-Victor orange label edition was made in germany.
In that case strange regarding sound difference on same title from same country......main difference is the prize tag they had at the time as International versions was nice price editions.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:46 pm

The Lps made in Germany by TELDEC/Telefunken got just as good sound as US releases.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:50 pm

svallen wrote:The Lps made in Germany by TELDEC/Telefunken got just as good sound as US releases.

Not true.
I had all my LP's as printed by Teldec but when I got some USA printed LP's in the bargain bin in 1977-1978 I immediately noticed the superior sound quality. Therefore I had all my LP's replaced with USA printings.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:22 am

Here is a fact:Jim Reeves second stereorecorded LP was relesed in stereo in Germany before it was released in stereo in US.
There must be some different things in our playback equipment because since the sound is just as good on releases from Germany or USA releases on my equipment.
But those from England with green label is just crap,except for the great "SUN collection".Japanese is best.They always do,CDs to.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:11 am

blue boy wrote:The reasons that there is a difference soundwise on different vinyl "was" that pressingplants all over the world got "slave" tapes made from the mastertape. In those days there was slaves made from slaves and for each generation of tape there was a degrade. Most of you out there know what happens when you make a copy of an vhs tape. Most of these problem is gone as everything is in the digital domain. I never heard that EU pressing plants should have made more vinyl copies but the US was nearer to the master tapes, than EU pressing plants was.

Where do you have this information from. It doesn't make any sense at all. There's no logic at all in saying that a tape sendt to Europe should be of another generation than a tape sendt to a pressing plant in the USA. The distance has nothing to do with this.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 am

Where do you have this information from. It doesn't make any sense at all. There's no logic at all in saying that a tape sendt to Europe should be of another generation than a tape sendt to a pressing plant in the USA. The distance has nothing to do with this.

I cant' speak to specific geographic differences, but as a general rule, this is absolutely the case and accounts for much of the wide variation in sound quality through the years.

This is a well-documented situation with many artists, as we learned more and more through the CD era as producers frantically tried to hunt down earlier-generation tapes.

Occasionally, this otherwise problematic situation has yielded benefits when better copies have been found after masters have been lost or damaged.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:52 am

Would that be why JAP PAPER SLEEVE CDS sound better than the Euro versions , less pressed in one go ?

Absolutely not. Digital is digital, and the ones and zeroes don't change places based on the number of discs pressed.

The difference in the Japanese releases, as documented years ago, is in almost all cases the result of differences in EQ'ing. This was confirmed through analysis years ago, as in almost all cases the material was sourced from the same sometimes-substandard BMG reworkings.

Only the first Christmas album was truly "different," and it is so far from the gold standard today that it really is relying on quite out-of-date information to say it sounds better at this point.

Further detail and analysis can be found at the great -- though increasingly dated -- elvisrecordings.com.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:03 am

elvissessions wrote:

I cant' speak to specific geographic differences, but as a general rule, this is absolutely the case and accounts for much of the wide variation in sound quality through the years.

This is a well-documented situation with many artists, as we learned more and more through the CD era as producers frantically tried to hunt down earlier-generation tapes.

Occasionally, this otherwise problematic situation has yielded benefits when better copies have been found after masters have been lost or damaged.

If you with this is saying that the difference in sound quality might be explained by generation loss, I do absolutely agree. But that is not what I was refering to.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:50 pm

In the mid eighties about 15 original Elvis LP's were only being pressed in Europe. Those released around 1985 with the Elvis' 50 sticker sound pretty comparible to the US pressings.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:22 pm

KingElvis wrote:In the 80s when I listened to Elvis on LP I always wondered why there was a difference in sound quality on various vinyl versions of the same title.
I remember I had RCA Victor (LSP-4460) edition of Country (orange label) and also a RCA-International (NLxxxx) version and the sound on that one was "crap" in comparison.

Also does the various type number on releases mean anything.....like LSP,APL or CPL to name a few??

Off Topic,got my first 3 FTD vinyls today.......first LPs I have bought in 25 years :smt119

Which ftd vinyls did you get ?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:49 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
KingElvis wrote:In the 80s when I listened to Elvis on LP I always wondered why there was a difference in sound quality on various vinyl versions of the same title.

Which ftd vinyls did you get ?

When topic was made I got Good Times,Standing Room Only and Jungle Room Sessions.
I also have TTWII and Promised Land......will most likely get Country as well.
Since I dont have a record player I have kept the albums sealed.
Its not that I think sound is any better than the cds but its more for sentimentale reasons