15%
7. Bobbin' Bob Jones
10%
8. Dick Baxter
3%
9. Bill Lacey
1%

Total votes : 115

Your Favorite Elvis Sound Engineer 1986-2010 ?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:31 pm

You have 3 poll options !

Time to stand still for a moment and look over our shoulders to the ones, the sound engineers, that have gone before and the often impressive work they've done in the past. Here are some of their works with regard to Elvis Presley. Who do you like best ? Take in regard the time period in which they worked and the technology that was available to them at that time.

This was no cut-and-paste job for me, I have gone back to the original info on the original cd releases of each one, distrusting any internet info. Any mistakes are to be blamed the record company that produced the cd's. Additional info and eventual corrections on typos are welcome, as is constructive criticism.

For the FTD's, I've scanned in a personally annotated list, as I've been not able yet to type it all out.

But I'm happy to share my ongoing work thusfar, with all of you. Remember, this only spans *selected* official label cd's from 1988-2010 and all of the FTD's.
Mind you, this is not the academy of fine arts handwriting, it's just mine. It should be readable. :wink:

Vic Anesini:

See more of Vic's FTD work on the scans!

The Complete '68 Comeback Special box set 4-cd
Viva Las Vegas 2-cd set disc 2 (= mastering, the mix was done by Ray Bardini; assistent engineer Dror Mohar)
Second To None
At The Movies 2-cd
Gold volumes 3 and 4
Elvis R&B (with Kevan Budd)
Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight box set 4-cd
Elvis The Complete Masters box set 30-cd
From Elvis in Memphis (Legacy) 2-cd
On Stage/In Person (Legacy) 2-cd
Close Up box set: cd1 and cd2 (reissue mixed by Chris Theis) and cd3 (additional mixes for reissue by Andreas Meyer)

Dennis Ferrante:

See more of Dennis' FTD work on the scans!

TTWII Special Edition box set 3-cd (new mixes; digital engineers are Ferrante and Reidel, and James Nichols)
Live In Las Vegas box set 4-cd (new mixes and digital engineering)
Aloha From Hawaii (remixing and masterering)
An Afternoon In The Garden (mixing and mastering)
On Stage (1999)
Essential Elvis vol. 5. (mastering and mixing)
Essential Elvis vol. 4 (mastering + shared mixing with James Nichols)
Essential Elvis vol. 6 (uncredited)
The Home Recordings (digitally engineered by Ferrante and Reidel)
Memories - The '68 Comeback Special 2-cd (remix by Ferrante; remastered by Jan Eliasson)
Close Up box set 4-cd disc 4 (mixing and mastering)
A Golden Celebration box set 4-cd (cd reissue, digitally remastered with Vince Caro)
Elvis Aron Presley box set 4-cd (cd reissue, digitally remastered with Dick Baxter; remix engineer Dick Bogert)
Platinum box set 4-cd (mixing; mastering and additional engineering by Paul Brizzi, Vince Caro, Marian Conaty, Ferrante, Tom MacCluskey and James Nichols)
Suspicious Minds 2-cd set (digital engineering with Lene Reidel)

Kevan Budd:

See more of Kevan's FTD work on the scans!

The Complete Million Dollar Quartet (mastering)

Lene Reidel:

See more of Lene's FTD work on the scans!

Today, Tomorrow & Forever box set 4-cd (mastering, mixing was done by Ferrante)

Dick Baxter:

Elvis In Concert (digital engineering; digitally produced by Chick Crumpacker)
Essential Elvis volume 3 (digital engineering)
Collector's Gold (digital mixing and engineering; mastered at BMG Recording Studios 3/90, NY; digitally produced and compiled by Roger Semon, Erik Rasmussen, Ernst Jorgensen)

Bobbin' Bob Jones:

Essential Elvis volume 1
Essential Elvis volume 2

Bill Lacey:

Double Features: Live a little, love a little; Charro/Change of habit, The trouble with girls (audio restoration), all engineered by Ferrante and Dick Baxter

Sebastian Jeansson and Jean-Marc Juilland

See more of their FTD work on the scans !

This is up until 2010. The lists are not exhaustive, but rather a selection of important ones, and a continual work in progress. Please ask permission first before copying and spreading. Written and compiled by james27 on the For Elvis Cd Collectors Only forum, 11/01/11.

after you click the scan, you can zoom in a bit.

Re: Your Favorite Elvis Sound Engineer 1986-2010 ?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Was it Dick baxter who worked on the first Elvis CD reissues - the digitally remastered Elvis in the 90s series! Boy, if you talk about sound improvement back then... Of course the Vic Anesi masters are far better but to me it was like the first steps on the moon... The sound was so cristal clear, but later on I began playing the old vinyl again... Far more lively... Still consider my choices but thanks James27, highly interesting thread! ::rocks

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Forget about Vic, Kevan and all others.

Lene Reidel takes Elvis sound to a whole new level!

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:33 pm

always enjoyed boppin bob

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Vic & Kevan are great, but I also voted for Ferrante.
Problem with Ferrante was his inconsistency..

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:51 pm

I voted for Vic Anesini, Kevan Budd and Sebastian Jeansson. But I also like some of the work by Dennis Ferrente and of course Bobbin' Bob Jones.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Jones
Jeansson
Anesini

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Robert wrote:Forget about Vic, Kevan and all others.

Lene Reidel takes Elvis sound to a whole new level!

That is funny.

In all seriousness, I'll go with Vic. Kevan and Sebastian are a close second.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Just 1 vote from me and it goes to Boppin Bob, a lone beacon of quality in the dark days of the 80s.

Don't forget his work on the UK's All Time Greatest Hits from '87 and numerous budget releases.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Thank You !

Alexander wrote:Was it Dick baxter who worked on the first Elvis CD reissues - the digitally remastered Elvis in the 90s series! Boy, if you talk about sound improvement back then... Of course the Vic Anesi masters are far better but to me it was like the first steps on the moon... The sound was so cristal clear, but later on I began playing the old vinyl again... Far more lively... Still consider my choices but thanks James27, highly interesting thread! ::rocks

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Vic Anesini, Kevan Budd and Dennis Ferrante (in no particular order.)

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Just as a reminder, Jean-Marc Juilland has done work on:

Good Times FTD (mastering and compiling)
Raised On Rock FTD (mastering, compiling on everything but the original album masters which Anesini restored and mastered)
That's The Way It Is FTD
I Found My Thrill FTD
Made in Memphis FTD (mastered and restored tracks 16-20)

Surely he deserves credit for that !

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Kevan Budd.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I voted for Vic Anesini, Jean-Marc Juilland and Kevan Budd 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Claus wrote:Jones
Jeansson
Anesini

+1

By the way, at 452x640, those JPGs are unreadable.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:07 pm

KevR wrote:
Don't forget his work on the UK's All Time Greatest Hits from '87 and numerous budget releases.

Which budget releases has he worked on? I have a vinyl re-issue of Kissin' Cousins that he has cut and it sounds very good but I'm not aware of any cds he's mastered other than those already mentioned.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 pm

The late Mr Jones takes my vote.

And when you bear in mind how good some of the other candidates are that is praise indeed.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 am

Vic Anesini

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 am

I'm surprised Ferrante is getting so much love.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:56 am

Vic, Budd and SJ.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Claus wrote:Jones
Jeansson
Anesini

+1

By the way, at 452x640, those JPGs are unreadable.

Sorry about that if that's the case. Editing the original post would mean erasing the poll results thusfar, so..

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:25 am

Kevan Budd for ushering in a new standard of attention to detail and giving Elvis' best period the mastering work it so long deserved in the digital age. The work he did on the Sun material alone is deserving of the highest praise.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:27 am

Matthew wrote:Kevan Budd for ushering in a new standard of attention to detail and giving Elvis' best period the mastering work it so long deserved in the digital age. The work he did on the Sun material alone is deserving of the highest praise.

It certainly is. I always find it somewhat odd how his work is dismissed by some on this very board. His work on Elvis' 50's recordings was a breath of fresh air.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 am

My vote also goes to Al Pachuki.....the original sound mixer/engineer from the 1970's.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 pm

midnightx wrote:
Matthew wrote:Kevan Budd for ushering in a new standard of attention to detail and giving Elvis' best period the mastering work it so long deserved in the digital age. The work he did on the Sun material alone is deserving of the highest praise.

It certainly is. I always find it somewhat odd how his work is dismissed by some on this very board. His work on Elvis' 50's recordings was a breath of fresh air.

I agree.