Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:47 pm

For those who may not know Neal Umphred wrote a series of insiteful articles for Goldmine that coincided with the releases of Elvis' 50's, 60's, and 70's boxed sets. I found myself agreeing with the vast majority Mr. Unphred's opinions (but you're wrong about "My Boy" Neal! :evil: :) ).

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:05 am

PETE

Thanks. Still don't care for MY BOY nor the over-the-top melodrama of that style of singing. Current faverave from that period that I didn't dig as much when I wrote the GOLDMINE pieces: SPANISH EYES. Always a pleasure to hear Elvis take a chestnut that I was sick of hearing and resurrect it with taste and a wee bit o' passion. . .

Best,

NEAL

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:59 pm

I can't for the life of me remember what triggered my response but I can guess based on the content of my post. Still, the Goldmine review of Elvis albums was quite fair and had a longview of Elvis' career featuring praise for many ballads and even some movie novelties. It was highlighted by an excellent review of Elvis' Golden Records Vol. 3 which set the singles created in those years in an appropriate context.

In regard to "Spanish Eyes", I think it's a lot easier to appreciate the virtues of a track like that since it is no longer omni-present in the culture and seems less predictable. Thanks to the dominance of demographics and marketing studies, classic pop is pretty much absent even from oldies and easy listening radio these days. Thanks to the monotony of most radio formats it's easier to be sick of a great rock classic like "Brown Sugar".