Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Memphis songs performed live?

Sat May 03, 2003 7:36 pm

Of all the songs Elvis recorded in Memphis in 1969, how many of them did he perform live? I can just think of True Loves Traveln on a Gravel Road, Hey Jude (of course), Suspicious Minds, Kentucky Rain, Rubberneckin', In The Ghetto and Don't Cry Daddy. Where there any more?

And on what records can I find the best versions of these songs?

Sat May 03, 2003 7:53 pm

Inherit the wind and This is the story were both performed and recorded in Las Vegas in '69 (only once, it seems, though).
The recordings are released on the Collector's Gold box.

Sat May 03, 2003 7:54 pm

Inherit The Wind (Collectors Gold box)
This Is The Story (Collectors Gold Box)

Two you've missed...

Sonny

Sun May 04, 2003 12:19 am

Elvis sang a one liner of "I'll Be There" at his 22 Mar'75 MS.

It's a shame and a mystery how Elvis turned his back on the marvelous songs from his Jan/Feb 1969 sessions, especially after 1970. Such rich material!

Sun May 04, 2003 4:12 am

As we all know Elvis would try new songs on opening day and drop them after that. Since not much documentation has been made of opening night july 31, 1969, he could have included one of those songs. Jerry hopkins does ducument him doing "you'll think of me".

Sun May 04, 2003 5:07 am

keith flynn wrote:I'm not being funny, but I'd love to see Jerry Hopkins' proof of this song being sung live

Keith

I totally agree keith. If Elvis has sung this song live it would probably have been performed between August 21st and August 26th 1969, as most of the rare songs like This Is The Story and Inherit The Wind were done between these dates. This has a lot to do with RCA recording these shows and Elvis must hav felt obligated to do some of his "memphis" recordings.

Same thing happend a year later when MGM was filming TTWII. Then we got The Next Step Is love ~ Patch It Up and Stranger In The Crowd.

regards,
Stefan

Sun May 04, 2003 7:21 am

What if jerry hopkins was there, and he heard him sing it, but it was never recorded. How can he "prove" it? The section in his book where he decribes this is very detailed. I think it would have been a good choice to try live. The theory about elvis recording rare songs on days when RCA is recording is a good one but, there are many times elvis sang rare tunes and RCA was nowhere in sight.

Sun May 04, 2003 7:59 am

They stopped recording Elvis' shows on the 26th but his engagement ended on the 28th. He Could have performed it during the shows on the 27th or the 28th.

Sun May 04, 2003 8:48 pm

Thank you all for the quick replies!!