Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 1971

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:49 am

George: What a great post and a great listen! Thanks!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks for posting this, George!

You may have gotten the hint already, but I am a big fan of this album and play it frequently.

Pretty much the only thing I did different when putting the album together was include the FTD mix of It's Only Love. Mainly because I don't have the EAP version, but also because it's the most well-rounded mix of the song I've heard. Wheras every other version seems to have something overpowering another (i.e. the horns may be a bit much).

Also, the edit I did for I Shall Be Released retained the few guitar notes at the end just before fading out, but your version sounds better.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:31 am

Austin wrote:Thanks for posting this, George!

You may have gotten the hint already, but I am a big fan of this album and play it frequently.

Pretty much the only thing I did different when putting the album together was include the FTD mix of It's Only Love. Mainly because I don't have the EAP version, but also because it's the most well-rounded mix of the song I've heard. Wheras every other version seems to have something overpowering another (i.e. the horns may be a bit much).

Also, the edit I did for I Shall Be Released retained the few guitar notes at the end just before fading out, but your version sounds better.

Thank you, Austin -- the FTD mix of "It's Only Love" is very good: I chose the silver box version simply for the slightly extended playing time.

I have just repaired the missing YouTube links and added Ivory Joe's original "I Will Be True" to the playlist from my own collection.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm, Austin.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:My pleasure. One small request: can you add the track listing (and timing as to when the songs begin and end) to your YouTube video? Many probably have no idea Elvis recorded these songs, or even know them by name.

Good suggestion, thank you.

I have added this information to the blurb on the YouTube page and it works a treat.

Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Thank you for the YouTube video, George! I've been meaning to listen to this album for a while, but a combination of laziness and not having some of the sources dissuaded me from assembling a copy myself (this despite 1971 being perhaps my favourite year for Elvis' studio work). I was blown away by the video that you posted - the album flows perfectly, from start to finish, and it even had me appreciating tracks that I'm usually not all that wild about (UITFYTG, HMMITTN). Fantastic job!

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Thank you George for such an interesting article, most enjoyable.

Having just played your compilation I have to start by saying that opening with I Shall Be Released leading into I'm Leavin' was inspired - it's the perfect album opening for the project !

I hesitate to offer too many comments on such a knowledgeable and well researched project, but perhaps you may be interested in a few alterations I would personally make to the track list when compiling my own playlist. Not that I pretend to be an expert I hasten to add.

Firstly I would follow I'm Leavin' with Early Mornin Rain and then The First Time Ever - purely because it just seems to create an even more natural flow of tempo.

For Until It's Time For You To Go I'd choose the alternate master (take 10) in preference, for amongst other reasons, the beautiful understated nature of the track and the way it tapers off to end side A.

As for Home Again Kathleen, I'd opt for the undubed version found on the silver box - again for it's understated nature fitting with the overall folksy tempo.

Having only recently listened to the outtakes of It's Only Love on the Elvis Now FTD it was interesting to listen to the BJ Thomas version, which I also enjoyed. Although, the part Elvis was having trouble with does almost sound like a different song coming in and Elvis' version does sound the better for omitting it in the end.

Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:51 pm

You have another subscriber! :D

(And I was just too lazy to do it myself as a playlist. Lazy or exhausted, or whatever you want to call it.)

rjm

Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:19 am

It looks like I missed this topic the first time around - I'm guessing I must have been "on a break" at the time. Great work in the opening post, George. On the topic of I Shall be Released, I'm not necessarily buying the not-many-people-knew-this-song idea - as you have said, it was recorded by a number of people by the time Elvis got to it, and the Doc's highlighting of the recording by Ricky Nelson is another good example.

There was another key recording of the song in 1969, which was that by Nina Simone on her To Love Somebody album, which was one of her biggest-selling albums (the title song reached #5 in the UK singles chart) and, at the time, Elvis's label-mate. It's also her most accessible album, mixing folk and pop with aplomb and without much hint of the jazz with which Simone was most associated - her first few years at RCA saw her continuing on from those at Philips and making commercial music for the most part (with obvious exceptions). Would Elvis have been listening to Nina Simone? That is something we don't know, but we DO know that he had the Odetta Sings Dylan album which contains a not dissimilar style to Simone's. I'm not saying that Simone is where Elvis got the song, but I'm just suggesting it was better known than might be first thought.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:10 am

poormadpeter wrote:It looks like I missed this topic the first time around - I'm guessing I must have been "on a break" at the time. Great work in the opening post, George. On the topic of I Shall be Released, I'm not necessarily buying the not-many-people-knew-this-song idea - as you have said, it was recorded by a number of people by the time Elvis got to it, and the Doc's highlighting of the recording by Ricky Nelson is another good example.

There was another key recording of the song in 1969, which was that by Nina Simone on her To Love Somebody album, which was one of her biggest-selling albums (the title song reached #5 in the UK singles chart) and, at the time, Elvis's label-mate. It's also her most accessible album, mixing folk and pop with aplomb and without much hint of the jazz with which Simone was most associated - her first few years at RCA saw her continuing on from those at Philips and making commercial music for the most part (with obvious exceptions). Would Elvis have been listening to Nina Simone? That is something we don't know, but we DO know that he had the Odetta Sings Dylan album which contains a not dissimilar style to Simone's. I'm not saying that Simone is where Elvis got the song, but I'm just suggesting it was better known than might be first thought.

The beginning of the performance - actually more than halfway through - is quite brilliant. It's as though she's holding that tiger by its tail. But then it gets away from her, and she succumbs to melody and background singers intruding. And the ending is off. All in all, though, one of the better renditions.

It's such a difficult song. It's very easy to let it slip into cliche while on the other hand it can be stark, terrifying, and desperate. Most do not do it justice. She did, but not all the way through. (Which is maybe why we should be happy with Elvis's brief version. It's just perfect. And that's not easy with this one.)

rjm

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:35 pm

This topic? Very, very good. I wish it was published in a book or a magazine.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:This topic? Very, very good. I wish it was published in a book or a magazine.

And I like the Exodus album!

It has 221.174 views on YouTube. Cool, George!

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:18 pm

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:This topic? Very, very good. I wish it was published in a book or a magazine.

Yeah, thank you!

I still find the whole thing baffling, to be honest. This is the little project I used to play with on cassette tape during my college years, but it does seem to strike a chord with some listeners.

The 1971 music stands up quite well -- it's just a question of pruning the lesser material.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:31 pm

George Smith wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:

Yeah, thank you!

I still find the whole thing baffling, to be honest. This is the little project I used to play with on cassette tape during my college years, but it does seem to strike a chord with some listeners.

The 1971 music stands up quite well -- it's just a question of pruning the lesser material.

Compared with the I'm Leavin' record, I like your CD songset more as a whole and a '71 concept album:

I'M LEAVIN
Side 1
1. I’m Leavin’ (3:52)
2. Early Mornin’ Rain (3:00)
3. Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues (3:10)
4. Until It’s Time For You To Go (4:02)
5. Help Me Make It Through The Night (2:51)
6. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right (edited version) (2:45)
Side 2
1. You Asked Me To (2:52)
2. Gentle On My Mind (3:26)
3. Tomorrow Is A Long Time 5:24
4. I’m Movin’ On (2:56)
5. (That’s What You Get) For Lovin’ Me (2:11)
6. Loving Arms – TAKE 2 (2:52)

EXODUS
00:00 "I Shall Be Released"
00:42 "I'm Leavin'"
04:32 "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
08:18 "Early Mornin' Rain"
11:15 "It's Still Here"
14:44 "Until It's Time For You To Go"
18:48 "Help Me Make It Through The Night"
21:39 "It's Only Love"
24:26 "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen"
26:53 "For Lovin' Me"
29:05 "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"
37:40 "I Will Be True"

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:38 pm

MikeFromHolland wrote:Compared with the I'm Leavin' record, I like your CD songset more as a whole and a '71 concept album:

no question EXODUS ALBUM ten times better :D

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:17 pm

Where is "Love Me, Love The Live I Lead"?

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:43 pm

hello73 wrote:Where is "Love Me, Love The Live I Lead"?

It was pruned.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
hello73 wrote:Where is "Love Me, Love The Live I Lead"?

It was pruned.

Small chuckle from West London.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:57 pm

George - It's fantastic the way you finally saw through the bits and pieces of a lost masterpiece and assembled it. Well done, my friend. I just assembled this on a CD-R with one fine tuning. I started "I'm Leavin'" softly in the background while Elvis was sing the last few bars of "I Shall Be Released" that way you could hear it softly being brought to the foreground.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:02 am

Thank you so much for this post.

I'm listening to the record as I'm writing this and it's a great compilation of songs.

I'm truly Grateful.