Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:51 pm

By Request and By Popular Demand were tag line PR stunts used by RCA since the 60's to stir up an interest. No one requested anything. I quickly realized this when it was used for Judy/There's Always Me in '67. I asked everyone I knew. No one demanded them while they were playing Sgt Peppers.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:54 pm

r&b wrote:By Request and By Popular Demand were tag line PR stunts used by RCA since the 60's to stir up an interest. No one requested anything. I quickly realized this when it was used for Judy/There's Always Me in '67. I asked everyone I knew. No one demanded them while they were playing Sgt Peppers.

ian would have! ;-)

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 am

At the time Kentucky Rain came out, didn't Elvis approve the songs used on singles? I'm sure in mid 1971, he was OK with the release of Love Letters if it meant he didn't have to do more recording in the studio.

IMO, Elvis Country should have been held until May 1971, as TTWII just came out in Nov/Dec 1970. Then they could have put out The Christmas LP in fall 1971. So much product being released. I loved it at the time but now see it wasn't good for his career. I remember being disappointed with a new LP for the first time in a long time, upon hearing Love Letters From Elvis.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 am

stevelecher wrote:I'm sure in mid 1971, he was OK with the release of Love Letters if it meant he didn't have to do more recording in the studio.

Good point.

drjohn, regardless of when the plan began the Love Letters album ultimately happened anyway.
That's probably where the phrase "sh*t happens" originated from. :wink:

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:By Request and By Popular Demand were tag line PR stunts used by RCA since the 60's to stir up an interest. No one requested anything. I quickly realized this when it was used for Judy/There's Always Me in '67. I asked everyone I knew. No one demanded them while they were playing Sgt Peppers.

ian would have! ;-)

:lol:

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:53 am

Blue River wrote:drjohn, regardless of when the plan began ...

Hey, I'm just happy to provide you with a little insight. ;-)

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:drjohn, regardless of when the plan began ...

Hey, I'm just happy to provide you with a little insight. ;-)

:wink:

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:44 am

"Heart of Rome" is the poor man's "Three Coins In The Fountain."

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:40 am

Jove wrote:"Heart of Rome" is the poor man's "Three Coins In The Fountain."

phpBB [video]

:smt015

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis probably didn't even know RCA was going to compile and release a third LP of leftovers from the previous summer's marathon recording sessions, let alone which tracks would sit on a single B-side.

Elvis may not have known of RCA's plans, but he probably wasn't the least bit surprised by a third LP or by the B-side choice to "I'm Leavin".

Yes, in the same way he wasn't the least bit surprised by a third American Sound LP or by the B-side choice to "Kentucky Rain." ;-)

Yeah, I know what you're saying... you mean that there wasn't a third American Sound LP.

Um, that's not quite the point.

Blue River wrote:However, with the re-recording of "Love Letters" on June 7, 1970 there must've been some kind of plan for the possibility of an LP featuring love songs with "Love Letters" being the headliner. It came to fruition about 12 months later.

Actually, there was never any such plan.

The rerecording of "Love Letters" was done on a whim at the 1970 session, after David Briggs suggested it. And in the booklet of the August 2008 FTD deluxe edition of Love Letters From Elvis it was revealed that the original title of the project as of April 1971 was Festival. The tracklisting included:

The Sound Of Your Cry
Cindy, Cindy
Got My Mojo Working / Keep Your Hands Off Of It
I'll Never Know
It Ain't No Big Thing
This Is Our Dance
Heart Of Rome
When I'm Over You
If I Were You
Sylvia
Love Letters
Something (live, 8-11-1970 MS)

Although this hodgepodge was rejected in RCA's attempt to milk the cow, it proved there was never any plan for "an LP featuring love songs with "Love Letters" being the headliner." The final result was made to appear as if some thought had actually gone into the release. It didn't fool too many people.

Always happy to help. ;-)

I think Id have preferred "Festival" than what we ended up with.

As for Heart of Rome, I like Elvis' vocal on it but it was single material.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:39 pm

Blue River wrote:Elvis may not have known of RCA's plans, but he probably wasn't the least bit surprised by a third LP or by the B-side choice to "I'm Leavin".

drjohncarpenter wrote:Yes, in the same way he wasn't the least bit surprised by a third American Sound LP...

nod3million wrote: I think I'd have preferred "Festival" than what we ended up with.

nod3million, I understand that. However, to address what drjohncarpenter wrote above, there were enough songs left in the can after the Elvis Country & That's The Way It Is albums for a third album to be issued and I don't think Elvis was surprised or shocked when it was released as Love Letters from Elvis. He probably didn't care as long as he got his royalty checks.

On the other hand, there weren't enough songs remaining in the can from American Sound for RCA to issue a third LP from those sessions so drjohncarpenter's anemic analogy doesn't add up.

nod3million wrote:As for Heart of Rome, I like Elvis' vocal on it but it was single material.

Did you intend to write "wasn't" instead of "was"?

Personally, I like "Heart of Rome" and thought it was suitable for a single... a better radio listening experience than "Where Did They Go, Lord", "Life", "I'm Leavin", and "The Sound of Your Cry", imo.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Blue River wrote:
Blue River wrote:Elvis may not have known of RCA's plans, but he probably wasn't the least bit surprised by a third LP or by the B-side choice to "I'm Leavin".

drjohncarpenter wrote:Yes, in the same way he wasn't the least bit surprised by a third American Sound LP...

nod3million wrote: I think I'd have preferred "Festival" than what we ended up with.

nod3million, I understand that. However, to address what drjohncarpenter wrote above, there were enough songs left in the can after the Elvis Country & That's The Way It Is albums for a third album to be issued and I don't think Elvis was surprised or shocked when it was released as Love Letters from Elvis. He probably didn't care as long as he got his royalty checks.

On the other hand, there weren't enough songs remaining in the can from American Sound for RCA to issue a third LP from those sessions so drjohncarpenter's anemic analogy doesn't add up.

nod3million wrote:As for Heart of Rome, I like Elvis' vocal on it but it was single material.

Did you intend to write "wasn't" instead of "was"?

Personally, I like "Heart of Rome" and thought it was suitable for a single... a better radio listening experience than "Where Did They Go, Lord", "Life", "I'm Leavin", and "The Sound of Your Cry", imo.

yes I meant WasNT single material but neither were "Where Did They Go, Lord", "Life", "I'm Leavin", and "The Sound of Your Cry",.
To me, in the 70s Elvis always seemed that he didnt care what the name of the albums were or what songs were on them. he sang the songs and thats it, I wish he took more interest in his 70s albums.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:27 am

I wouldn't have minded Elvis singing "Three Coins," provide he tried to match the climax of the Dominoes' version, as performed by their lead singer Jackie Wilson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i76ZDETUrko

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:48 am

Blue River wrote:

phpBB [video]

:smt015

I did not say it's the Sinatra's rendition. :)

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:31 am

Blue River wrote:On the other hand, there weren't enough songs remaining in the can from American Sound for RCA to issue a third LP from those sessions so drjohncarpenter's anemic analogy doesn't add up.

Again, you completely miss the point.