Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:45 am

Hello,

I've often wondered why the "I'm Leavin'" / "Heart Of Rome" 45 single picture sleeve indicated "Heart Of Rome" as "by request." Does anyone know if "Heart Of Rome" was getting radio airplay off the "Love Letters From Elvis" LP in any markets prior to the release of the "I'm Leavin'" / "Heart Of Rome" single to give RCA any hope that they might have a hit with an album cut.

http://www.elvisrecords.us/heart-of-rome-im-leavin/

Daryl

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:00 am

Interesting question, yet, I can't imagine radio stations were being flooded by requests for Heart Of Rome to get more spins.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:13 pm

Excellent observation, but I'd imagine the line was just made-up PR spin

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Supposedly, RCA got a lot of requests from Norway.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:00 pm

rickeap wrote:Excellent observation, but I'd imagine the line was just made-up PR spin



Exactly! Recall the 'By Popular Demand" release of Judy and There's Always Me in 1967.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:07 pm

Pure PR. But at the time I liked having that song on a single. I still have a mint copy of it. Which some day I may sell to some poor sap on Ebay.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:12 pm

they had a lot of request from the guy who wrote the song..he called them over and over again using different voices in order to get his song out there..he must have called 10,000 times...of course when the single only sold 1000 the company didn't know what to think.. :mrgreen:

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Supposedly, RCA got a lot of requests from Norway.


I thought maybe RCA got a lot of requests directly from the Pope Paul VI. Maybe the Pope heard Elvis reading the telegram he sent prior to the opening show from Elvis' August, 1970 Las Vegas engagement in his International Hotel suite in the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer motion picture, "Elvis, That's The Way It Is." :D

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 pm

i have a friend who was stationed in London at that time and he said that "Heart Of Rome" was played on the radio quite a bit. he mentioned this to me just a few days ago when i was over at his house checking out the "Complete Elvis" box.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Supposedly, RCA got a lot of requests from Norway.


Perfect! :D :D

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:46 am

I really dig Heart Of Rome, a classic IMO!
Elvis' voice soars on this one.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:46 am

I have the 45 of this song and truly love it. as well as Theres always me that to is a great song. really shows Elvis' vocal range

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 am

LOL I also enjoy this song, especially the Nashville Marathon version.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:33 am

pjdlibra wrote:I have the 45 of this song and truly love it. as well as Theres always me that to is a great song. really shows Elvis' vocal range


Agreed. This is an underappreciated gem by Elvis, IMHO. His voice is amazing on the master. It is a different and very likeable arrangement. One of my favorite Elvis songs.

rlj

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:34 am

ElvisOnTour wrote:I really dig Heart Of Rome, a classic IMO!
Elvis' voice soars on this one.

Too bad it cracks a couple times. Not exactly what he accomplished with Now Or Never or Surrender.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 am

Daryl wrote:I've often wondered why the "I'm Leavin'" / "Heart Of Rome" 45 single picture sleeve indicated "Heart Of Rome" as "by request". Does anyone know if "Heart Of Rome" was getting radio airplay off the "Love Letters From Elvis" LP in any markets prior to the release of the "I'm Leavin'" / "Heart Of Rome" single to give RCA any hope that they might have a hit with an album cut.

http://www.elvisrecords.us/heart-of-rome-im-leavin/

The single was released only one week after the Love Letters from Elvis album's release. So the "by request" was pre-planned PR by RCA.
>> http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-4530-lov ... rom-elvis/

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:06 am

C'mon guys get realistic.

Heart Of Rome would rank as one the worst Elvis single to be released.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Could it be that Elvis himself requested this?

Quite possibly as they had done previously, this was just another RCA tactic(?). It's interesting, because I remember going into the record store with my Dad and getting the single and getting excited when I read the "by request" (REMEMBER I was just a kid).

Oh well, it's fun to speculate.

rlj

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:35 pm

rlj4ep wrote:Could it be that Elvis himself requested this?

Could be, but we'll probably never know for sure.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:14 am

Blue River wrote:
Daryl wrote:I've often wondered why the "I'm Leavin'" / "Heart Of Rome" 45 single picture sleeve indicated "Heart Of Rome" as "by request". Does anyone know if "Heart Of Rome" was getting radio airplay off the "Love Letters From Elvis" LP in any markets prior to the release of the "I'm Leavin'" / "Heart Of Rome" single to give RCA any hope that they might have a hit with an album cut.

http://www.elvisrecords.us/heart-of-rome-im-leavin/

The single was released only one week after the Love Letters from Elvis album's release. So the "by request" was pre-planned PR by RCA.
>> http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-4530-lov ... rom-elvis/


Nicely spotted.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:07 am

rlj4ep wrote:Could it be that Elvis himself requested this?


No way.

Elvis probably didn't even know RCA was going to compile and release a third LP of leftovers from the previous summer's marathon recording sessions, let alone which tracks would sit on a single B-side.

Billboard confirms that the 1971 LP came out around June 12, and "I'm Leavin'" two weeks later.



Billboard Jun19 1971 p49.JPG
Billboard - June 19, 1971



Billboard Jul 03 1971 p76.JPG
Billboard - July 3, 1971


The single A-side was pure magic, the album ... something less.

But, man, look at some of the great singles and LPs issued at the same time.

Elvis, oh, Elvis -- why?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis probably didn't even know RCA was going to compile and release a third LP of leftovers from the previous summer's marathon recording sessions, let alone which tracks would sit on a single B-side.

Elvis may not have known of RCA's plans, but he probably wasn't the least bit surprised by a third LP or by the B-side choice to "I'm Leavin".

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:34 am

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis probably didn't even know RCA was going to compile and release a third LP of leftovers from the previous summer's marathon recording sessions, let alone which tracks would sit on a single B-side.

Elvis may not have known of RCA's plans, but he probably wasn't the least bit surprised by a third LP or by the B-side choice to "I'm Leavin".


Yes, in the same way he wasn't the least bit surprised by a third American Sound LP or by the B-side choice to "Kentucky Rain." ;-)

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis probably didn't even know RCA was going to compile and release a third LP of leftovers from the previous summer's marathon recording sessions, let alone which tracks would sit on a single B-side.

Elvis may not have known of RCA's plans, but he probably wasn't the least bit surprised by a third LP or by the B-side choice to "I'm Leavin".

Yes, in the same way he wasn't the least bit surprised by a third American Sound LP...

Yeah, I know what you're saying... you mean that there wasn't a third American Sound LP.

However, with the re-recording of "Love Letters" on June 7, 1970 there must've been some kind of plan for the possibility of an LP featuring love songs with "Love Letters" being the headliner. It came to fruition about 12 months later.


Hope this helps. :wink:

Re: Heart Of Rome - By Request?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:31 pm

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis probably didn't even know RCA was going to compile and release a third LP of leftovers from the previous summer's marathon recording sessions, let alone which tracks would sit on a single B-side.

Elvis may not have known of RCA's plans, but he probably wasn't the least bit surprised by a third LP or by the B-side choice to "I'm Leavin".


Yes, in the same way he wasn't the least bit surprised by a third American Sound LP or by the B-side choice to "Kentucky Rain." ;-)

Yeah, I know what you're saying... you mean that there wasn't a third American Sound LP.


Um, that's not quite the point.

Blue River wrote:However, with the re-recording of "Love Letters" on June 7, 1970 there must've been some kind of plan for the possibility of an LP featuring love songs with "Love Letters" being the headliner. It came to fruition about 12 months later.


Actually, there was never any such plan.

The rerecording of "Love Letters" was done on a whim at the 1970 session, after David Briggs suggested it. And in the booklet of the August 2008 FTD deluxe edition of Love Letters From Elvis it was revealed that the original title of the project as of April 1971 was Festival. The tracklisting included:

The Sound Of Your Cry
Cindy, Cindy
Got My Mojo Working / Keep Your Hands Off Of It
I'll Never Know
It Ain't No Big Thing
This Is Our Dance
Heart Of Rome
When I'm Over You
If I Were You
Sylvia
Love Letters
Something (live, 8-11-1970 MS)

Although this hodgepodge was rejected in RCA's attempt to milk the cow, it proved there was never any plan for "an LP featuring love songs with "Love Letters" being the headliner." The final result was made to appear as if some thought had actually gone into the release. It didn't fool too many people.

Always happy to help. ;-)