Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Re: Houston Astrodome 74 confusion?

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's another shot, taken at the evening show:
This is a weird one, it looks like the only people watching are the half-dozen photographers in front of the stage.

That is one great photo - thanks a million for posting! :smt023

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:38 am

steevefry wrote:Elvis said : "give to your donkey, it will move faster" :mrgreen:

From that photo you can clearly see they're not doing any song - even Duke is applauding! :)

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:40 pm

I imagine Elvis must have felt quite of sorts at the Astrodome gigs. Huge crowds. The lights are up. There's no orchestra. The usual audience shtick (scarves, kisses) is missing. The stage is rotating. (Can you imagine Elvis in Houston, in '76, on a rotating stage?)

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Best topic in a while!

I may need to dig out my old Madison CD tonight.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:15 pm

elvisjock wrote:I imagine Elvis must have felt quite of sorts at the Astrodome gigs. Huge crowds. The lights are up. There's no orchestra. The usual audience shtick (scarves, kisses) is missing. The stage is rotating. (Can you imagine Elvis in Houston, in '76, on a rotating stage?)

Weren't the Houston shows in Feb/March, 1970 basically set up the same way (stage-wise)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:18 pm

here some big HQ pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:here some big HQ pics

Stage was too small for allow for the backup singer's customary stools. Note that Estelle and possibly Myrna are standing in bare feet.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:39 pm

:wtf:
Last edited by Francesc on Fri May 10, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Francesc wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Note the "4 1 0" that appears at the top of the photo. Could be a clock, but more likely is a distance marker. 410 feet from home plate.

What I see in one photo, above the Texaco sign, is the time: 4:09pm.

Scott Hayward wrote:
pic1'.jpg

It makes sense, as Elvis' first show was slated for 2pm:

740300_Texas Monthly_p105.JPG
Texas Monthly - March 1974

I did not see that shot earlier. Mystery solved. 4:09.

I created my own mystery. Was "4 1 0" a digital clock, or a distance marker for the baseball field?

i don't think the mystery is solved since we were talking about the recording

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:33 pm

:facep:
Last edited by Francesc on Fri May 10, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks for the film of Parker on the donkey, Doc. Surreal. I'm sure there's an ass joke in there somewhere.

Only at an Elvis gig would the manager have rocked up on a donkey, led by the artist's father.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:52 pm

elvisjock wrote:I imagine Elvis must have felt quite of sorts at the Astrodome gigs. Huge crowds. The lights are up. There's no orchestra. The usual audience shtick (scarves, kisses) is missing. The stage is rotating. (Can you imagine Elvis in Houston, in '76, on a rotating stage?)

I can't imagine it 1974.

That afternoon show with all the natural light and no orchestra must have felt like a 1950's gig.
The Aloha show was basically very well lite for TV, but he still had the orchestra.

The recording proves that he really didn't need the orchestra.

It's a very good show, with his rhythm section. I like it.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 pm

Tony Trout wrote:Weren't the Houston shows in Feb/March, 1970 basically set up the same way (stage-wise)?

Yes.

Note Ronnies bass drum has no mics.

?

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Robert wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:Weren't the Houston shows in Feb/March, 1970 basically set up the same way (stage-wise)?

Yes.

?

In 1974, the set-up was such that the music was run through the in-house PA system.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:

Yes.

?

In 1974, the set-up was such that the music was run through the in-house PA system.

True, same as in 1970.
I've read somebody who thought it was actually loud.
Not sure if the sound was good though. Probably not that great.

My point was that whatever system was used, PA or house system, Ronnie was not fully connected which to me, is weird.
If you listen to the SB you won't hear the bass drum.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:37 am

I am pretty sure that from April 72 a new management team a took over the tour logistics including sound systems. Sorry I can't remember their name but its covered in the Guralnick bio. I know they were very nervous about taking on the task partly because of pleasing the colonel as well as Elvis. They were amazed that Elvis had been using house PA"s. The first time they supplied the system Elvis looked over to them with a big grin on his face as soon as he heard how good it sounded. I am sure this was 72 or possibly Nov 71. Now whether they kept the contract longer term I am not sure.

Cheers

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:51 am

I might be thinking of Tom Hulett and Concert West?

Cheers

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi Jamie, the EP show used house systems during the first 1970 tour.
Unbelievable.

They hired I think Clair bros after that tour.
The Astrodome shows were the only exeption in 1974 but that doesn't mean the sound was bad.

Bad sound from Elvis perspective usually had to do with the monitor system and not the PA.
There are pictures available where you can see what they used in for example 1971.
It's in the Charles Stone book.
The Doc has that book as he is a big fan of Charles.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Robert wrote:Hi Jamie, the EP show used house systems during the first 1970 tour.
Unbelievable.

The Astrodome shows were the only exeption in 1974 but that doesn't mean the sound was bad.

Bad sound from Elvis perspective usually had to do with the monitor system and not the PA.
There are pictures available where you can see what they used in for example 1971.

These were used without permission!

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:
Robert wrote:Hi Jamie, the EP show used house systems during the first 1970 tour.
Unbelievable.

These were used without permission!

Many pictures were privided by Bruce Jackson..

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:here some big HQ pics

Thanks Johnny

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Unbelievable.

The bad sound of the astrodome, refers to the dome itself.

Someone said, either Elvis or one of the MM, that the dome was built for sports and not for concerts and the sound that the audience heard was
a big echo chamber. Elvis himself could hear himself echo back a second later and it was tough to concentrate on the song.
Hearing some of the audience recorded concerts you can hear that enormous echo.
Last edited by ekenee on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:27 pm

ekenee wrote:Someone said, either Elvis or one of the MM, that the dome was built for sports and not for concerts and the sound that the audience heard was
a big echo chamber. Elvis himself could hear himself echo back a second later and it was tought to concentrate on the song.
Hearing some of the audience recorded concerts you can hear that enormous echo.

:facep: Another missed opportunity by Elvis! He could've sung "Echoes of Love"! :smt034
phpBB [video]

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Your on a droll roll this week Blue River!

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:28 am

Scott Hayward wrote:
Francesc wrote:Here it is review from the matinee concert.

Thanks! The song lineup is totally different to that of the recording - and no American Trilogy as in some listings I've seen. To me this seems a quite credible account of the show...?

The songs listed are the same as on Event Number Eight, apart from Sweet Caroline. The order of tracks is a lot different though, although the author of the review does concede that his order might not be exact.