Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

My old VHS Elvis in Concert video freeze frames

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:45 am

[urlImage][/url]
[
Ok, after viewing the freeze frames from the final curtain, I decided to find my 30 year old
VHS tape and see if it was as good as I remember.
Not as good but still good I think.
I will see what you think.
I have posted 2 different frames using 2 different uploading systems as I was having trouble adding more than one photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My old VHS Elvis in Concert video freeze frames

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:53 am

Not terrible. You could drop a few hundred dollars and upgrade with The Final Curtain. After all, no one should spare any expense when it comes to getting the best possible resolution of Elvis in his worst state.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:05 am

midnightx wrote:Not terrible. You could drop a few hundred dollars and upgrade with The Final Curtain. After all, no one should spare any expense when it comes to getting the best possible resolution of Elvis in his worst state.

The Final Curtain is really a book project.
The soundboards and video are just a bonus.

Think about it though.

In the year 2011 we will be getting the two extremes of Elvis' career.

We already got super packages involving the 68 special, Thats the way it is, and the Aloha special.

Come next month we get the final days of Elvis' career, and several months later
we get the Sun era project.

Its a great time to be a fan.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 am

midnightx wrote:Not terrible. You could drop a few hundred dollars and upgrade with The Final Curtain. After all, no one should spare any expense when it comes to getting the best possible resolution of Elvis in his worst state.

Man, it never ends. You really have a hate-on for 1977 Elvis, don't you. I suppose your hero Mr. Clapton never had a sub-par performance, or substance abuse issues.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:08 pm

ekenee wrote:

The Final Curtain is really a book project.
The soundboards and video are just a bonus.

Think about it though.

In the year 2011 we will be getting the two extremes of Elvis' career.

We already got super packages involving the 68 special, Thats the way it is, and the Aloha special.

Come next month we get the final days of Elvis' career, and several months later
we get the Sun era project.

Its a great time to be a fan.

Whoah - what are these super packages involving the '68 Special & Aloha? I'm aware of TTWII: The Complete Works. Please educate me on the other two. :mrgreen:

Brian

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:13 pm

He was alot worse 16.8.1977...

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:34 pm

BrianTCB wrote:Whoah - what are these super packages involving the '68 Special & Aloha? I'm aware of TTWII: The Complete Works. Please educate me on the other two. :mrgreen:

Brian

You don't own these two DVD box sets?

Well you're in for a treat . . .

Elvis: The '68 Comeback Special (Three-Disc Deluxe Edition)

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Comeback-Sp ... 414&sr=1-2

Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii (Deluxe Edition)

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Aloha-Hawai ... 546&sr=1-1

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:53 pm

the screen crabs say it all :shock:

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:21 pm

You made your point a million times here about Elvis In Concert 1977. Please let it be..He was in a bad shape, yes...thanks for the info....pfffff....By now we all know your opinion about this subject Midnightx...it's really getting boring...There are fans here who love Elvis still when he was in a bad shape and you keep dragging along how bad he looked...we know that, thanks...

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:53 am

robbie wrote:the screen crabs say it all :shock:

WO i didn't see no crabs on my screen

you think Elvis had crabs in 77 ............if that were his only problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:12 am

Looks a little like one of my copies:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:29 am

Nice screen grabs! Gotta watch that show again!

Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:31 am

Nice screen grabs Jimmycool

Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:41 am

You hit the nail on the head with that one.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:16 am

From pics above, Seems the Boxcar claims may be hype?

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:21 am

WMarkJ wrote:From pics above, Seems the Boxcar claims may be hype?

I don't get it? While the quality shown here is kinda good, the color is bad and it lacks a lot of detail. The quality is definitely better in TFC.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:21 am

billyblues wrote:

I don't get it? While the quality shown here is kinda good, the color is bad and it lacks a lot of detail. The quality is definitely better in TFC.

$500 better?

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:25 am

WMarkJ wrote:
billyblues wrote:

$500 better?

If the set contained only the EIC special, you would be right...

...But there's also a book, other DVDs and also CDs - unreleased material in the three formats (pictures, video and audio).

The point was about the EIC footage, though. It is definitely better than the copies shown here - worth $500 or not. I hope you get my point.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:34 am

Rich_TCB wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:Whoah - what are these super packages involving the '68 Special & Aloha? I'm aware of TTWII: The Complete Works. Please educate me on the other two. :mrgreen:

Brian

You don't own these two DVD box sets?

Well you're in for a treat . . .

Elvis: The '68 Comeback Special (Three-Disc Deluxe Edition)

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Comeback-Sp ... 414&sr=1-2

Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii (Deluxe Edition)

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Aloha-Hawai ... 546&sr=1-1

I thought you were talking about NEW ones since those were released. I already own those. :)

Nevermind. ;)

Brian

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:46 pm

Hated the way Boxcar TFC "blurred" the time code on one of the shows--makes it look more distracting and obvious--the video quality on ther CBS tapes is not what I expected--not that great as it turned out

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:16 am

thatsallright wrote:Hated the way Boxcar TFC "blurred" the time code on one of the shows--makes it look more distracting and obvious--the video quality on ther CBS tapes is not what I expected--not that great as it turned out

You can always contact Boxcar's friendly customer service number @ 1800-U-Got-Screwed and I'm sure one of the glad representatives will help you out with a prompt refund.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:56 am

I bought my first copy of the October 3rd 1977 broadcast show on VHS at the Graceland Mall in the Summer of 1987,my very first visit to see Graceland, and I still have that copy today.I remember when I was in one of the stores and they were playing the CBS Concert and had a bunch of copies,and the girl behind the counter said I should get it now before they are all gone.

You might think i'm crazy, but i did buy 20 pairs of Elvis Sun Glasses at $20 each,10 in Silver and 10 in Gold.I really went crazy buying up almost everything in sight on my first visit to Graceland.I also went on the Graceland Tour every day i was there for 2 weeks,to the point that the guards started questioning me.

I remember getting back home from my Vacation to Graceland on July 5th and watching the tape and i was so heartbroken while i was watching it.I did see the first airing on TV back on October 3rd 1977.But i have grown to actually enjoy those sad final shows over the years,i don't really know why,maybe it is because there are some good moments and maybe because i felt so much sympathy for Elvis.

I do really like the opening of Elvis singing See See Rider,i like it so much i have sat and watched that one song over and over for like 10 time in a row,i just think he really was kicking ass on that opening.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:30 am

WMarkJ wrote:
billyblues wrote:

$500 better?

Since TFC used one of the original "Broadcast tapes" that was given to different CBS stations for broadcasting (not to confuse with the original master) I would say you are correct. :roll:

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:57 pm

Clay wrote:I bought my first copy of the October 3rd 1977 broadcast show on VHS at the Graceland Mall in the Summer of 1987,my very first visit to see Graceland, and I still have that copy today.I remember when I was in one of the stores and they were playing the CBS Concert and had a bunch of copies,and the girl behind the counter said I should get it now before they are all gone.

You might think i'm crazy, but i did buy 20 pairs of Elvis Sun Glasses at $20 each,10 in Silver and 10 in Gold.I really went crazy buying up almost everything in sight on my first visit to Graceland.I also went on the Graceland Tour every day i was there for 2 weeks,to the point that the guards started questioning me.

I remember getting back home from my Vacation to Graceland on July 5th and watching the tape and i was so heartbroken while i was watching it.I did see the first airing on TV back on October 3rd 1977.But i have grown to actually enjoy those sad final shows over the years,i don't really know why,maybe it is because there are some good moments and maybe because i felt so much sympathy for Elvis.

I do really like the opening of Elvis singing See See Rider,i like it so much i have sat and watched that one song over and over for like 10 time in a row,i just think he really was kicking ass on that opening.
he was kicking his own ass

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:02 pm

You know this was an old thread that I was comparing samples of what I already had and so here is my update.

I thought when I finally recieved the huge book and DVD/ cd set it was quality, and looking at the work that went into it, it was, But.....

the video was not a huge upgrade as I had expected. It was better, and most of the good 1977 footage was now in one spot, and the book

was very high quality, but Elvis was far from his best. I ended up selling it.

Sometimes being an Elvis fan with limited funds, we sell stuff to buy more stuff.