Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "Elvis and red west telephone conversation,october 1976.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:49 pm

vbgt wrote:
chris j wrote:"Nothing but a junkie" - how can such a comment ever be justified? In my opinion this board does Elvis a great injustice on many many occasions, and probably considerable damage. I'd like to see some other good-hearted and informed people come to his aid at this point, unless we want outsiders and visitors to think that the above comment is valid and an appropriate summary.

Sometimes the truth hurts,eh? But it's still the truth.

It was a classless post and I as a fan and a compassionate human being, take offense.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:57 pm

James27 wrote:There's only one other male entertainer, whether one likes him or not, that in his prime can be compared to Elvis in terms of hysteria, pressure and sheer success and that is Michael Jackson. The Beatles, yes, but they s-h-a-r-e-d all the succes with the other Beatles and John struggled alot with alcohol, acid and heroin in the 60s and 70s. Ringo became an alcoholic and George did drugs as well. Paul regularly used cocain, tried heroine, and of course did marijuana like the other Beatles. He also had/has little-known bouts of drinking and aggression.

Jackson of course was a full-blown "junkie" too, addicted to prescribed medications and pain-killers.

So Elvis is not an exception, at all. What does that teach us ? Perhaps that a human being isn't made to experience such success and pressure. Something's gotta give sometime, ya know.

There is one huge difference here, Jackson had the benefit of learning from Elvis' mistakes, where Elvis was treading those waters alone. Also, the difference in the care of substance abuse, is like night and day nowadays compared to the seventies, where doctors weren't scrutunized back then for the most part as far as dispensing medicine, until Elvis died. What did Clapton say, "Elvis died for our sins!"

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:06 pm

Joe Car wrote:The fact that Red West is tape recording his conversation with Elvis is worse if you ask me...

Certainly Red had his reasons, and if you were in his same circumstances in 1976, perhaps you would have done the same thing....

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:45 pm

In my opinion you have to look at Elvis' history, his whole life, and not just his years as a world class performer and artist. Look at his background, the history of his relatives and family. In all honesty, I think Elvis Presley would be in trouble if he was just a regular guy in Memphis - or the biggest star of this world. He seemed like a insecure person, a very sensitive person, who acted to be very confident. Yes, he knew he was a great singer and the best-looking guy on the planet, but that was it. Look at his family, all the tragedy and dependency on alcohol through the years - Elvis had the same blood, it just happened to be that he had an enormous talent too. He didn't have the best genes either, several of his relatives died pretty young - and I seriously doubt that Elvis would get very old no matter what. Of course, if he had lead a healthy life, that would have helped, but I have a hard time believing that he would be 70+ years old. Elvis was under stress since he was the superstar that he was, but seriously, how many bothered him when he stayed in Memphis? Didn't he go out for his regular rounds in Memphis without being mobbed too much? Some people usually hang outside Graceland to get a look at him, and some probably followed him at a distance, but it wasn't any worse than many stars experience today. At least that's my opinion about it, maybe I'm wrong. Yes, Elvis went through a divorce (with a woman he didn't want to marry), he had som health issues (nothing major), his career was still doing relatively good, had some money problems, but nothing he couldn't turn around. Why all the depression the last years? Because of his mental state which caused his drug-abuse to get out of control. And that happened because of who he was - his genes - his history. I don't want to sound negative or anything, I really think Elvis was a caring, good guy at heart. But if Elvis didn't become the superstar that he turned out to be, I think he would have been troubled anyway. People seem to believe the myth that Elvis would been driving a truck in Memphis, having a great time, without the pressure of being a star. But I believe he was happy to be who he was, he loved being Elvis Presley. And he would eventually having problems if he just was the regular guy living a simple life in Memphis. Maybe he wouldn't have been addictive to drugs, he wouldn't have the supplies he had as a superstar. But maybe alcohol would have caused him a lot of problems, like with several others in his family, who knows. The reason Elvis didn't drink too much alcohol was probably because of all the bad stuff he saw happened to others in his family. And when he could do drugs, prescribed by doctors, he really never had to touch it himself. If we should understand Elvis we can't just blame it on doing so-so movies in the 60s and not doing a world tour in '74.

My thoughts.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:15 pm

Joe Car wrote:Really a classless post if you ask me! The fact that Red West is tape recording his conversation with Elvis is worse if you ask me, yet you don't mention that!

I've always said this. To have a "friend" that taped your conversation would hurt !! {Plus writing a book } Elvis must have thought no one really did care about him. I had a "friend" kind of like that. {Though no recorded phone conversation; } I helped her get a job and loaned her money. When it came to some personal issues in my life, she stood with the person that I was having problems with. {He employed her} So, yes. I can understand how that must have hurt Elvis . Thankfully, I got over it, but it was a long time before I ever trusted anyone again.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:31 pm

shawn wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Really a classless post if you ask me! The fact that Red West is tape recording his conversation with Elvis is worse if you ask me, yet you don't mention that!

I've always said this. To have a "friend" that taped your conversation would hurt !! {Plus writing a book } Elvis must have thought no one really did care about him. I had a "friend" kind of like that. {Though no recorded phone conversation; } I helped her get a job and loaned her money. When it came to some personal issues in my life, she stood with the person that I was having problems with. {He employed her} So, yes. I can understand how that must have hurt Elvis . Thankfully, I got over it, but it was a long time before I ever trusted anyone again.

The Elvis and West situation is not that comparable to your situation with your "friend", is it? I mean, Elvis did his mistakes in his relationship with Red, something he admits in the phone conversation. In your situation, it doesn't seem you did anything wrong, except trusting a so-called friend.

And remember, if Elvis didn't die on 16th of August, he might have admitted the following tour that he had problems with drugs. He told Billy Smith that if the crowd booed him, that was something he considered. It would have been a huge step in the right direction. And if that happened the West's would have getting credit for having the balls to do something about Elvis' drug dependency.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:41 pm

Xaykev wrote:In my opinion you have to look at Elvis' history, his whole life, and not just his years as a world class performer and artist. Look at his background, the history of his relatives and family. In all honesty,

I believe that's what so many neglect to consider. He was not born, rich, confident, etc.etc. In my opinion, he never was "sure of himself." He needed constant assurances that he was loved. Insecurity
He had that with his mother. After she died, everything changed, as far I can see. Of course, no one made it very clear if they cared or not. As long as he continued to "buy" things and "give" of himself. everyone was happy. I do think he had some health issues no one was aware of. {no one telling their stories had an MD behind their name } In this phone call ,it was barely mentioned ,but the doctor wanted some surgery done on Elvis. Doctors at the time didn't want to do it. {I expect Elvis didn't want it either } As usual he just thought he'd be ok. Besides, who was working to help him and his family? To me, he did the best he was capable of at the time. I have a feeling he suspected he wouldn't live very long, and he was ready for whatever came next.To me, his life became more meaningful to me as a person, when I looked back to his whole life. I appreciate what he was able to give us. Just sorry he wasn't able to find what he seemed to be looking for.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:53 pm

Xaykev wrote:The Elvis and West situation is not that comparable to your situation with your "friend", is it? I mean, Elvis did his mistakes in his relationship with Red, something he admits in the phone conversation. In your situation, it doesn't seem you did anything wrong, except trusting a so-called friend.

And remember, if Elvis didn't die on 16th of August, he might have admitted the following tour that he had problems with drugs. He told Billy Smith that if the crowd booed him, that was something he considered. It would have been a huge step in the right direction. And if that happened the West's would have getting credit for having the balls to do something about Elvis' drug dependency.

My friendship with one I considered my "friend" wasn't even as long as Elvis and Red's. It was just made hard because her daughter and mine were very close friends. I just wanted to help her.

That's what's been said by several people. That he intended to tell everyone and get some help. Don't think any of us can know if he meant it. Maybe he was going to try. My point of view has just always been-- why not leave him if it was so bad staying? He might have decided people were serious and done something about his life.I just think it was a nasty way to treat someone you claimed as a "friend." After all, most all of them have said they were involved in the same kind of lifestyle. Yet, they all cry innocent now and point fingers.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:57 pm

midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:The fact that Red West is tape recording his conversation with Elvis is worse if you ask me...

Certainly Red had his reasons, and if you were in his same circumstances in 1976, perhaps you would have done the same thing....

I doubt it.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:16 pm

Xaykev wrote:
shawn wrote:

The Elvis and West situation is not that comparable to your situation with your "friend", is it? I mean, Elvis did his mistakes in his relationship with Red, something he admits in the phone conversation. In your situation, it doesn't seem you did anything wrong, except trusting a so-called friend.

Man,I wish that would've happened. It might have given him the incentive to straighten out,who knows. They say admitting you have a problem is the first step to getting better.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:18 pm

Xaykev wrote:In my opinion you have to look at Elvis' history, his whole life, and not just his years as a world class performer and artist. Look at his background, the history of his relatives and family. In all honesty, I think Elvis Presley would be in trouble if he was just a regular guy in Memphis - or the biggest star of this world. He seemed like a insecure person, a very sensitive person, who acted to be very confident. Yes, he knew he was a great singer and the best-looking guy on the planet, but that was it. Look at his family, all the tragedy and dependency on alcohol through the years - Elvis had the same blood, it just happened to be that he had an enormous talent too. He didn't have the best genes either, several of his relatives died pretty young - and I seriously doubt that Elvis would get very old no matter what. Of course, if he had lead a healthy life, that would have helped, but I have a hard time believing that he would be 70+ years old. Elvis was under stress since he was the superstar that he was, but seriously, how many bothered him when he stayed in Memphis? Didn't he go out for his regular rounds in Memphis without being mobbed too much? Some people usually hang outside Graceland to get a look at him, and some probably followed him at a distance, but it wasn't any worse than many stars experience today. At least that's my opinion about it, maybe I'm wrong. Yes, Elvis went through a divorce (with a woman he didn't want to marry), he had som health issues (nothing major), his career was still doing relatively good, had some money problems, but nothing he couldn't turn around. Why all the depression the last years? Because of his mental state which caused his drug-abuse to get out of control. And that happened because of who he was - his genes - his history. I don't want to sound negative or anything, I really think Elvis was a caring, good guy at heart. But if Elvis didn't become the superstar that he turned out to be, I think he would have been troubled anyway. People seem to believe the myth that Elvis would been driving a truck in Memphis, having a great time, without the pressure of being a star. But I believe he was happy to be who he was, he loved being Elvis Presley. And he would eventually having problems if he just was the regular guy living a simple life in Memphis. Maybe he wouldn't have been addictive to drugs, he wouldn't have the supplies he had as a superstar. But maybe alcohol would have caused him a lot of problems, like with several others in his family, who knows. The reason Elvis didn't drink too much alcohol was probably because of all the bad stuff he saw happened to others in his family. And when he could do drugs, prescribed by doctors, he really never had to touch it himself. If we should understand Elvis we can't just blame it on doing so-so movies in the 60s and not doing a world tour in '74.

My thoughts.

Good post

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:28 pm

Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I doubt it.

A close friend has his father fire you and shortly thereafter you are unemployed and in financial ruin. You question the motives of the person on the phone and feel the need to record it for various reasons including your own records or even to use it for legal purposes. Not too hard to understand the need to record under the circumstances of 1976. Glad you are able to continue viewing it through the eyes of a blindly-devoted Elvis fanatic. If you felt you were unjustly fired and treated by a friend and former employer, are you certain you would not go to certain lengths to protect your interests?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:35 pm

midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I doubt it.

A close friend has his father fire you and shortly thereafter you are unemployed and in financial ruin. You question the motives of the person on the phone and feel the need to record it for various reasons including your own records or even to use it for legal purposes. Not too hard to understand the need to record under the circumstances of 1976. Glad you are able to continue viewing it through the eyes of a blindly-devoted Elvis fanatic. If you felt you were unjustly fired and treated by a friend and former employer, are you certain you would not go to certain lengths to protect your interests?

So somebody has to be a "blindly-devoted Elvis fanatic" to think that tape-recording a phone conversation is underhanded! C'mon x, snap out of it!

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:47 pm

midnightx wrote:A close friend has his father fire you and shortly thereafter you are unemployed and in financial ruin. You question the motives of the person on the phone and feel the need to record it for various reasons including your own records or even to use it for legal purposes. Not too hard to understand the need to record under the circumstances of 1976. Glad you are able to continue viewing it through the eyes of a blindly-devoted Elvis fanatic. If you felt you were unjustly fired and treated by a friend and former employer, are you certain you would not go to certain lengths to protect your interests?

Only if I'd written a book about my employer/friend claiming more knowledge than I had proof of. And if I was deeply immersed in the same life style, but wanted to claim I was innocent. :wink:

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:14 am

Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I doubt it.

So somebody has to be a "blindly-devoted Elvis fanatic" to think that tape-recording a phone conversation is underhanded! C'mon x, snap out of it!

No. Under those circumstances, Red had no idea what would transpire during the course of the conversation, but knowing things were quite strained and that Elvis had a history of acting irrationally, perhaps Red thought it was best to record the conversation in the event his life was threatened, or if some other crazy scenario was lodged his way. My point has been that many here are unable to distance themselves from the fact that their hero Elvis is involved in this scenario. Objectively looking at a very tense and complicated set of circumstances, many people would consider taping a possible problematic, threatening, and incriminating conversation.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:48 am

midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I doubt it.

No. Under those circumstances, Red had no idea what would transpire during the course of the conversation, but knowing things were quite strained and that Elvis had a history of acting irrationally, perhaps Red thought it was best to record the conversation in the event his life was threatened, or if some other crazy scenario was lodged his way. My point has been that many here are unable to distance themselves from the fact that their hero Elvis is involved in this scenario. Objectively looking at a very tense and complicated set of circumstances, many people would consider taping a possible problematic, threatening, and incriminating conversation.

So, say you own a business. It's called the Elvis Presley business.

And an employee is costing that business thousands of dollars because of law suits, is that
employer justified in firing that employee?

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:57 am

In my opinion, this topic is one that will have all kinds of opinions and will never be settled. It seems to me that some fans believe Elvis should/could have been a "super-human" and above hurts, fears, hopes, dreams, etc. More-so than the average human. That being; he was just as human as the rest of us. It's not some making excuses for him. It's that we can accept him just the way he was. We all screw up. Do we deserve a whole comment section pointing out all the mistakes and screw-ups we've done just because some are disappointed and think we should/could have done better ? I've never thought he was anything but a man, with good intentions and a great entertainer. Wish I'd been around at the time to put my 2 cents in to tell him what he "should have done." :wink:
Happy New Year, Elvis !! Don't think I could have done any better!!

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:58 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I doubt it.

And an employee is costing that business thousands of dollars because of law suits, is that

Is it that simple? Is the employee personally responsible or is the person acting under the scope of his employment as a "body guard" or member of a "security team"? What are the details of the complaints by the plaintiffs? Are there legitimate complaints by the plaintiffs? Does the employee have a contract? Is the employee self-employed? Does the employee have a severance package and no-compete clause? What state does this firing take place in -- meaning is the employee an "at-will" employee meaning the employee can be fired for any reason?

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:48 am

midnightx wrote:

i doubt that that very much, especially since he distanced himself from that book since then. it was out of spite in the first place and they admitted as much. Elvis reached out but Red declined. Well, it would not really fit they book they were trying to set up, huh?

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:51 am

I think Elvis had a sinking feeling after July of '76, indeed the feeling that nobody cared. His father was sick and weak, and Elvis surely felt responsable for that, knowing that his mother had already worried herself to death and hearing Elvis commenting on it during emotional monologues. He complained about the regular guys getting out of Graceland and way from him, it wasn't the same cosy male group it once was. The trusted circle was getting more narrow. IMO he felt his trust was betrayed, first by Priscilla, then by Red and Sonny (I don't think he cared that much about Hebler), and then by Ginger, who couldn't adapt to his lifestyle and wasn't going to go his way. She was too young and unexperienced, and no Linda Thompson. The upcoming book, his increasing weight and medical problems (they weren't minor), the troubling press reports, his failing energy on stage. This led to insecurity as an entertainer, which can be seen during the filming of the CBS TV Special, and this was a marked difference with all the previous tv shows and films that came before. No matter what his personal demons were, he always pulled through when he had to perform, he always knew what he was worth, even when he was out of it, in years. He was always self-confident on stage, yet in 1977 we see a man sometimes doubting himself on stage, something that was never seen before. Sure he doubted himself before previous to big events, but it was always before a performance, once he hit the stage and sang the first notes, he conquered the fear. Not during a show.

shawn wrote:

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:37 am

There are enough big stars that proves that it is possible to handle a healthy and "normal" lifestyle even if you are a world idol and a superstar. And about MM and yes men, Sonny confronted Elvis in '61, telling he didn't even like him anymore, that Elvis acted as a Gestapo officer. Elvis punched him. When you have the power in a group like that, no-matter if you are the biggest star in the world or a dictator in old Sovietunionen, you can handpick whoever you want. People who don't agree with your ideas are easy to get rid of. You think it is good for you, but in the long run you need people who tell the truth, not just what you want to hear. The easiest solution isn't always the best one. Billy Smith says that everybody feared Elvis. Don't get me wrong, they loved him and Elvis did a lot for them, but they also knew that it was his way or no way. Elvis was strongminded.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:28 am

midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I doubt it.

Is it that simple? Is the employee personally responsible or is the person acting under the scope of his employment as a "body guard" or member of a "security team"? What are the details of the complaints by the plaintiffs? Are there legitimate complaints by the plaintiffs? Does the employee have a contract? Is the employee self-employed? Does the employee have a severance package and no-compete clause? What state does this firing take place in -- meaning is the employee an "at-will" employee meaning the employee can be fired for any reason?

No, its not that simple, so give Elvis some slack here.

I have given the West boys slack for the recording and the book, so Elvis deserves just as much.

We don't really know all the details involved here.

But Elvis must have thought that he was correct in his firing.

Also, Elvis gives a little clue as to his mind set.

He started to feel like a dollar sign to many in the group.

That is easy to do, as Elvis says, and over the years some resentment must have transpired.

Red resented the whole "wedding thing". And so forth.

By 1976 everything started to implode on Elvis.

It's too bad there wasn't more communication, as Elvis alludes to in the conversation,
because maybe the ordeal could have been avoided.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:13 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I doubt it.

No, its not that simple, so give Elvis some slack here.

I have given the West boys slack for the recording and the book, so Elvis deserves just as much.

We don't really know all the details involved here.

But Elvis must have thought that he was correct in his firing.

Also, Elvis gives a little clue as to his mind set.

He started to feel like a dollar sign to many in the group.

That is easy to do, as Elvis says, and over the years some resentment must have transpired.

Red resented the whole "wedding thing". And so forth.

By 1976 everything started to implode on Elvis.

It's too bad there wasn't more communication, as Elvis alludes to in the conversation,
because maybe the ordeal could have been avoided.

Who said I didn't cut Elvis some slack or even give him some latitude? This entire discussion has been about Red and what some here assert was a shady move for him to record Elvis. I simply pointed out that under the circumstances of the times, it may not have been such an under-handed thing for Red to do.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:42 am

Elvis was telling people he'd kill the guys, or have them killed. Red had seen him irrational like this before.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:43 am

My only complaint is they were doing the same thing. Even years later ,several were interviewed for 20/20 and it's said you could tell they were still doing their "drugs." . In later interviews most of them have said they were too. So yes, they were bitter and wanted to "get back at him" ,IMO. They were broke and bitter.And it back-fired on them.

phpBB [video]