Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Songs I regret Elvis didn't record.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:56 pm

eligain wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:You Light Up My Life (written by Joe Brooks)

phpBB [video]

You're still joking, right?

I hope so,same goes for the Barry Manilow crap. How about an album of blues classics? That I'd like to hear.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 am

fg76 wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:Only You (Studio)

If only he had heard John Lennon's arrangement from 1974, but I don't think that was discovered until 1985 - and I doubt he would have been sold on the arrangement with Ringo's vocal.

Yet, it would have worked. And I'm sure he played with it, since I've heard stories of him doing Platter's numbers during the Jungle Room Sessions.

phpBB [video]

Lennon's vocal (Used as a guide track so Ringo could sing it)
Man,that's horrible,as bad as Elvis singing "Old MacDonald"
phpBB [video]

Ringo's version. I think Elvis would have blown up a TV if he saw this.
Pure crap
phpBB [video]

The orginial, The Platters.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 am

Ringo didn't just murder that song, it was a full blown assassination of the highest kind. Surely his old pal John should've just told him to stick to drumming?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:20 am

I like Ringo's version. It was a big hit, too.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:25 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:I like Ringo's version. It was a big hit, too.

Please tell me you are joking?! He simply cannot sing in tune, it is embarassing. Awful, awful vocals. Lennon's version on the other hand is very good - one I play almost as much as the original. Play all 3 in a row, it is clear which is unanimously the worst.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:27 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:

Please tell me you are joking?! He simply cannot sing in tune, it is embarassing. Awful, awful vocals. Lennon's version on the other hand is very good - one I play almost as much as the original. Play all 3 in a row, it is clear which is unanimously the worst.

I know all three versions well. I still like Ringo's, and his entire Goodnight VIenna LP.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:

I know all three versions well. I still like Ringo's, and his entire Goodnight VIenna LP.

Takes all kinds I suppose.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:03 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:Please tell me you are joking?! He simply cannot sing in tune, it is embarassing. Awful, awful vocals. Lennon's version on the other hand is very good - one I play almost as much as the original. Play all 3 in a row, it is clear which is unanimously the worst.

I'm glad somebody likes the Lennon version too. As for Ringo, everybody knows Ringo Starr is no (great) singer. He was passable during his days as a Beatle without a doubt, but he never was a great singer. Hence why when Lennon wrote "Goodnight Vienna" and (recorded) "Only You" that he recorded a voice guide track for both.

vbgt wrote:(On Lennon's version:)Man,that's horrible,as bad as Elvis singing "Old MacDonald"

I know "Old MacDonald" was not a classic by any means, but I've always enjoyed the damn song. Elvis hating it, be damned.

phpBB [video]

Last edited by fg76 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:06 am

I didn't finish to listen to Ringo, my ears started to bleed... D:
(I heard a Paul McCarteney's version too, using the same backing... they all suck.)

I'll stick to the original version by The Platters... not even Roy Orbison came close!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:16 am

I always regret that Elvis never covered anything by The Band. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" would have been perfect for him:
phpBB [video]

Ditto for "Stage Fright," whose opening lines seem tailor-made for Elvis:

Now deep in the heart of a lonely kid
Suffering so much for what he did,
They gave this poor boy his fortune and fame,
Since that day he ain't been the same.

phpBB [video]

Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:35 am

Certainly Rainy Night In Georgia, we almost had that one, too.

I also think an American Sound Studio cut of "Lay,Lady,Lay" would have been nice.

and, it would have been cool if Elvis would have tried this:
phpBB [video]

A soul classic that would have fit his 69-era voice well, written by Chips Moman,too.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:38 am

phpBB [video]

Uhhhhh...Wait a minute.....Elvis did actually record this one. Never mind.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 am

I heard Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" recently and thought "Elvis could've done this", I can imagine James and the band getting that groove, and Charlie singing harmony with him. Would've been cool to hear Elvis try some Carl Perkins songs besides BSS. "Restless" would have been perfect for Elvis circa 1970. There's a great version Carl does with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on his final album, "Go Cat Go".

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Speaking of the Beatles, every time i hear DRIVE MY CAR, in my minds eye i can hear Elvis singing that tune.
It would have been a good throw away song for his "live" shows

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:25 pm

"Save the Last Dance for Me", and any number of Bob Dylan songs.

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:09 am

I'm with Kiwi and like to add songs by Bob Dylan also. More Tony Joe White stuff would have suited him as a glove too!

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:19 am

vbgt wrote:
eligain wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:You Light Up My Life (written by Joe Brooks)

phpBB [video]

You're still joking, right?

I hope so,same goes for the Barry Manilow crap. How about an album of blues classics? That I'd like to hear.

+!

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 pm

In 66 there was a movie with Peter Fonda and Nancy Sinatra The Wild Angels. The movie wasn't that great but the soundtrack rocked! Among some great intrumental tunes there is a ballad performed by a group
called The Hands Of Time and they do a song called Lonely In The Chapel, the singer does it in Elvis style
and I would love to hear a early sixties version by Elvis

I also wonder what Elvis could do with Charles Aznavous tune's She and Yesterday When I Was Young.
I think both would have been great performed in 76.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Beatles - Don't Let Me Down
Try A Little Tenderness - Tom Jones style
My Girl - The Temptations
If I Were A Carpenter - Bobby Darin
Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
Fortunate Son - Creedence
Roll Over Bethoven - Chuck Berry
Old Man River - Frank Sinatra style
Nice 'n' Easy - Frank Sinatra style
Bad Bad Leroy Brown - Jim Croce
I Got A Name - Jim Croce

And the list could go on and on.......

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:43 pm

I've always felt Elvis' voice was a natural for Jimmy Webb's classic songs.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

And, "Didn't We", taken from Glen's courageous final tour in my hometown this summer.

phpBB [video]

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:48 pm

I Don't Believe In If Anymore (Roger Whittaker)

Ramblin Man (Allman Brothers)

Country Bumpkin (Cal Smith)

Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen)

Bad Moon Rising (John Fogerty)

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 pm

"Honey" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59BZxgohr9g

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Long Long Time by Linda Ronstadt

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:00 pm

If I Loved You would have been superb, although it would have been difficult to see it fitting in with any point in Elvis's career. I also regret that the Tennessee Waltz wasn't tackled at some point between 1966 and 68. It would be have been a great recording, going by the snippets we have.

There are also a couple of songs that Bobby Darin covered during his short stay at Motown, which would have suited Elvis c1972: Sail Away by Randy Newman and Hard Headed Woman by Cat Stevens.

Would have loved to hear his take on Tony Joe White's Willie and Laura Mae Jones and The Train I'm On, too.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Don't Forbid Me,
Only The Lonely,
It's Only Make Believe.