Agree that one would have been interesting

-instagram kenh1964

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Re: Songs I regret Elvis didn't record.

Post by fn2drive »

These eyes; oh happy day;heard it through the grapevine;a man's world;Let it be;And had he lived-things have changed.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

likethebike
Registered for: 21 years

Post by likethebike »

Some of the songs here like Orbison's "Running Scared" and the Drifter's "Save the Last Dance for Me" are so perfect in their original versions that I wouldn't need to hear an Elvis rival. But then he found something unique in "You've Lost That Feeling" arguably the most perfect record ever made in the Righteous Brother's original.

I would have like to have heard what he would have done with "Turn Me Loose" which Doc and Morty wrote for him while he was incarcerated in the army. Fabian had a big hit with it in the interim. Not only would it have been interesting to hear it performed by a great singer (although Dion did a good job with it in the late 1990s) but Pomus and Shuman watered down the lyrics to make it appropriate for 15-year-old Fabian to sing. It would have been great to hear Elvis have at that original song.

In terms of fantasy songs (I.E. those written after his death) I always thought Elvis could have done a great job on John Mellencamp's "Hurt So Good." I can almost hear his famous "heh" little sneer right before the last line.

Daryl
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Daryl »

1. Rainy Night In Georgia
2. If I Could Read Your Mind
3. You Can Have Her
4. When The Snow Is On The Roses
5. Drift Away
6. Games People Play
7. Sunday Morning Coming Down
8. The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
9. Brown Eyed Handsome Man
10. I Feel Fine

3DS Friend Code 0387-8874-3735

Coming Soon --> ELVIS SESSIONS IV

bajo
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by bajo »

Rainy Night In Georgia is mentioned.
Other than that I can hear him in:

Tougher Than The Rest (Bruce),
Thunder On The Mountain(Dob D.),
Untie Me (Joe South),
Somewhere USA (Gordon L.)
What Kind Of Fool (Del Shannon)
a.o.

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Dan_T »

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by Dan_T »

And just for fun.......

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

As I was listening to some Orbison in the car today it made me think about this topic. Although I love Roy's recording, I've always felt "Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)" was tailor-made for Elvis and he would've recorded a superior version, at the correct stage of his career. Or even as a song live in concert around 1969, I can just imagine him and his new band absolutely tearing it up on stage with this classic.

I've also felt that "Crazy" would've been perfect for the 1971 concept album "Elvis Country", performed in that wonderful, soulful and bluesy country style that we see on numbers like "I Really Don't Want to Know", "Funny How Time Slips Away" and "Make the World Go Away".

And there's just so many old country and blues numbers that I wish Elvis would've revisited in a similar style to what we see on "From Elvis In Memphis" and "Elvis Country". Elvis' studio and live work in the final stage of his career (1969-1977) was so erratic and varied, there was rarely a constant theme. Elvis should've found his own niche concentrating on a mix of new, earthy material and covers of old forgotten gems. It's no surprise that the standout moments of Elvis' final years was when he worked his magic on covers of classic 1950s and early 60's material; "Merry Christmas Baby", "Promised Land", "Hurt", "Pledging My Love", "Unchained Melody" etc.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

ElvisLive3August1969
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by ElvisLive3August1969 »

Roll Over Beethoven (Chuck Berry)
Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison )
Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran )

There are a lot more songs from the fifties that I wish he did.

"People were saying who is he? what is he? is he is he?? I didn't know I'm saying am I am I??" Elvis Presley talks about his career in 1969 live concert

My YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/ElvisPresleyIsTheMan

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

fg76 wrote:We all know the story that Col. Parker wanted money for Elvis to record certain songs, and if he didn't get what he wanted, or if the songwriter refused to deal - then it never happened. Plus, there are songs that Elvis, himself, probably would not have ever wanted to record.

Yet, I hear a lot of songs and think that - yeah, he could have recorded that.

Here is my list.

1. Running Scared: Elvis one-lines this one a few times while recording/rehearsing "Tommorow Never Comes," (from 1970) and I would have loved to hear Elvis do a legit Orbinson cover of the song. Song was written in Elvis' lifetime. It could have been done.

2. All By Myself: I doubt Elvis ever heard this song, although believe it or not, Frank Sinatra actually covered it in 1975, while on tour in Israel. Would have fit his voice, and would have fit "From Elvis Presley Blvd" quite nicely.

3. Lady Madonna: Yeah, we got an informal rehearsal from the 1971 Nashville sessions and David Briggs played it as a solo in Lake Tahoe. However, Elvis never seemed to seriously want to cover it - and yet the informal take with the country sound - shows he could have easily done it.

4. Misery: Fluff piece by the Beatles says most Beatle fans, but I actually think Misery is underrated as a good pop song. Another one, I'd love to had heard Elvis do.

5. The Power of Love: Not Hewy Lewis' song, but the one that Celine Dion covered in 1993-94. Rewrite some of the lyrics, and honestly I think you got a late 1975-76 Elvis Presley song. When he really could do the opera stuff. Song wasn't written until 1985, so not really possible.

6. Hit Me With Your Best Shot: I've sung this one Elvis style a few times, with a lyric rewrite from the actual primise (sic) of the song. Being a 1979 written song, I always call it the lost Elvis classic that Pat Bentar took credit for. Jokingly, of course.

7. I Will Always Love You: Everybody's got to know the legend of Dolly Parton getting an offer from the Colonel for Elvis to record this one. It's kind of wierd, I didn't hear the story of this one until 2005, but in 1993 when I hear girls from High School Choir cover the Whitney Houston cover in their solos - I kept thinking that a 1976-77 Elvis could have pulled this one off.

8. I Walk The Line: Elvis joked a few lines in Vegas in 1969 (along with Folsum Prison), but Elvis seems to seriously try to do this one - and it would have been something if he had done it down the line. (And I'd even paid money for a master of Folsum Prison - if Elvis had changed the key to A.)
I agree with 6 in your list except the two Beatles songs. In addition I think any of Chuck Berry songs (excepting My DingaLing) would've suited Elvis especially 1970-1972.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

I really wish Elvis did the following songs: 1.) Tie Me Kangaroo Down Boy 2.) Afternoon Delight 3.) Feelin' Groovy 4.) I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing 5.) Yummy, Yummy
If he had done these songs my life would be so much the richer.

James27

Post by James27 »

Full versions of: "I Shall Be Released" by Bob Dylan. "Fire" by Bruce Springsteen. "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" by Charlie Rich. "Suzy Q." by Dale Hawkins. "Running Scared" by Roy Orbison.

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

The sun ain't gonna shine anymore. Excellent suggestion. Considering all the maudlin crap near the end, this one would have been great.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

If Elvis was able to do another Christmas session, I think he should have done "Please Come Home For Christmas." I like the "Eagles" version.

MT

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

A couple Aussies songs would have suited EP -

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

rjm
P.S. Props to the late MJJ for recommending this great song in his autobio (1988, Doubleday). In my opinion, it would have been ideal for Elvis. Wonder if he liked it?
Last edited by rjm on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjm

Post by rjm »

This must be here, regardless. He could not have recorded it, but . . .
Someone actually made a youtube of it. I knew what people would think the day it debuted on country radio in the west Alabama night. The night when I called up the DJ and promised him it would go straight to number one. It did. And I only explained it to him after it did. Sorry if you read me saying this before, but finding this video is chilling vindication.

rjm
"All over Alabama, the lamps are out." James Agee, 1936.

rjm

Post by rjm »

One more: Elvis began to record "Poor Man's Gold" but stopped after hearing a siren outside of American Sound Studios. Here is Mac's complete version.
A poor man's gold:
Contents of Vernon Presley's wallet: June 26, 1979.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rjm on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

MaryAnn
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by MaryAnn »

MysteryTrain wrote:If Elvis was able to do another Christmas session, I think he should have done "Please Come Home For Christmas." I like the "Eagles" version.

MT
"Please Come Home For Christmas" would have been perfect for Elvis. The Eagle's 1978 version is great, but the 1960 original by the song's composer, Charles Brown, is also mighty fine.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Just stumbled upon this old thread, and I guess I probably posted this a zillion times before...

"Rainy Night In Georgia"
"We Had It All"
"It's Only Make Believe"
"Dreaming My Dreams With You"
"Sunday Morning Coming Down"

And I totally agree with "Please Come Home For Christmas" and "Need Your Love So Bad".

Oh, there are sooooo many many more...

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

ale
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ale »

8. I Walk The Line: Elvis joked a few lines in Vegas in 1969 (along with Folsum Prison), but Elvis seems to seriously try to do this one - and it would have been something if he had done it down the line. (And I'd even paid money for a master of Folsum Prison - if Elvis had changed the key to A.)
I'd rather have Folsom prison blues, Elvis would have made a terrific version!....in the style of Waylon Jennings version

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

Bad Moon Rising
With A Little Help From My Friends
Don't Let Me Down

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by TCB-FAN »

This Dennis Yost classic would fit Elvis like a glove had he recorded it in '72...

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Renan »

I wish Elvis had recorded "A Time For Us" in the style of the great Andy Williams.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."