Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Songs I regret Elvis didn't record.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:05 am

We all know the story that Col. Parker wanted money for Elvis to record certain songs, and if he didn't get what he wanted, or if the songwriter refused to deal - then it never happened. Plus, there are songs that Elvis, himself, probably would not have ever wanted to record.

Yet, I hear a lot of songs and think that - yeah, he could have recorded that.

Here is my list.

1. Running Scared: Elvis one-lines this one a few times while recording/rehearsing "Tommorow Never Comes," (from 1970) and I would have loved to hear Elvis do a legit Orbinson cover of the song. Song was written in Elvis' lifetime. It could have been done.

2. All By Myself: I doubt Elvis ever heard this song, although believe it or not, Frank Sinatra actually covered it in 1975, while on tour in Israel. Would have fit his voice, and would have fit "From Elvis Presley Blvd" quite nicely.

3. Lady Madonna: Yeah, we got an informal rehearsal from the 1971 Nashville sessions and David Briggs played it as a solo in Lake Tahoe. However, Elvis never seemed to seriously want to cover it - and yet the informal take with the country sound - shows he could have easily done it.

4. Misery: Fluff piece by the Beatles says most Beatle fans, but I actually think Misery is underrated as a good pop song. Another one, I'd love to had heard Elvis do.

5. The Power of Love: Not Hewy Lewis' song, but the one that Celine Dion covered in 1993-94. Rewrite some of the lyrics, and honestly I think you got a late 1975-76 Elvis Presley song. When he really could do the opera stuff. Song wasn't written until 1985, so not really possible.

6. Hit Me With Your Best Shot: I've sung this one Elvis style a few times, with a lyric rewrite from the actual primise (sic) of the song. Being a 1979 written song, I always call it the lost Elvis classic that Pat Bentar took credit for. Jokingly, of course.

7. I Will Always Love You: Everybody's got to know the legend of Dolly Parton getting an offer from the Colonel for Elvis to record this one. It's kind of wierd, I didn't hear the story of this one until 2005, but in 1993 when I hear girls from High School Choir cover the Whitney Houston cover in their solos - I kept thinking that a 1976-77 Elvis could have pulled this one off.

8. I Walk The Line: Elvis joked a few lines in Vegas in 1969 (along with Folsum Prison), but Elvis seems to seriously try to do this one - and it would have been something if he had done it down the line. (And I'd even paid money for a master of Folsum Prison - if Elvis had changed the key to A.)

Re: Songs I regret Elvis didn't record.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:12 am

Feelings (Morris Albert/Loulou Gasté)

Feelings, nothing more than feelings
Trying to forget my, feelings of love

Teardrops rolling down on my face
Trying to forget my feelings of love

Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it
I wish I've never met you, girl, you'll never come again

Feelings, wo-wo-wo feelings
Wo-wo-wo, feel you again in my arms

Feelings, feelings like I've never lost you
And feelings like I've never have you again in my heart

Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it
I wish I've never met you, girl, you'll never come again

Feelings, feelings like I've never lost you
And feelings like I've never have you again in my life

Wo-wo-wo, feelings, again in my arms

phpBB [video]

Disclaimer : sorry doc, I just had to steal this one from ya. :smt003
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:15 am

I lose no sleep over Elvis not doing those songs.

Obviously some songs that are on your list Elvis had no chance of covering since they were written after he died.

I wish Elvis had recorded the songs that he was offered first but turned down.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:18 am

Elvis sings Chuck Berry
Elvis sings Creedance
Elvis Sings Robert Johnson
Elvis sings The Beatles
Duets with Bobby Dafin

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:48 am

I would have liked Elvis to have recorded the following songs;

Send In The Clowns
Detroit City
I Write The Songs

elvisonline

Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:27 pm

I don't hold any regrets about not having staples like Send in the Clowns - I would much prefer to have had elvis rocking out to new material.
I agree with Lady Madonna though - he and the band are really cooking on that brief jam

Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:30 pm

If you could read my mind by Gordon Lightfoot
You aint seen nothing yet - BTO

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Fire Down Below by Jerry Scheff; pretty much a tragedy he didn´t make it to record the vocal at Graceland. When I listen to the rythm section track (sound really rockin´ and cool to me), I can imagine this being an uptempo smash hit for him! Or at least making either the Moody Blue album or the FEPB album stronger.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:15 pm

kajsa89 wrote:Fire Down Below by Jerry Scheff; pretty much a tragedy he didn´t make it to record the vocal at Graceland. When I listen to the rythm section track (sound really rockin´ and cool to me), I can imagine this being an uptempo smash hit for him! Or at least making either the Moody Blue album or the FEPB album stronger.

The lyrics were terrible though

Terry Mike Jeffries and Shakin Stevens both have versions that have been posted on youtube.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Funny Familiar Forgotten Feelings.....

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:52 pm

You Light Up My Life (written by Joe Brooks)

phpBB [video]

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:56 pm

Lady madonna,Ghostriders in the sky,I walk the line,Folsom prison blues,My sweet lord and San francisco is some
of the songs I would liked Elvis` to record.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:05 pm

"A Love Song" (original by Anne Murray)

phpBB [video]

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Lady Madonna
I shall be released

I wish Elvis had recorded more blues songs and of course some more
Rock´n Roll.

Lennart

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Taking Care Of Business!

Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:15 pm

"Hoverin' by my suitcase, tryin' to find a warm place to spend the night..."

phpBB [video]

Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:52 pm

KingElvis wrote:Lady madonna,Ghostriders in the sky,I walk the line,Folsom prison blues,My sweet lord and San francisco is some
of the songs I would liked Elvis` to record.

Forgot about "Ghost Riders," as he did a hell of a version at that TTWIS rehearsal. Should have done that one too.

There is an infamous cover song I've heard cover bands do here in Virginia, but I'm not quite sure of the name of the song and you can't hum via text.

When The Snows on the Roses would have worked in the studio too, as well as a real live version of Get Back from 1970.

Edit: And some say "Rainy Night in Georgia" was actually on the list for the aborted Nashville recording sessions. Why not just do the Jungle Room again, instead of the Racketball Court or the Nashville studios? I mean they brought the gear back in October, why not bring the gear back in Jan/Feb 1977 to the Jungle Room again?

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:20 pm

fg76 wrote:Edit: And some say "Rainy Night in Georgia" was actually on the list for the aborted Nashville recording sessions. Why not just do the Jungle Room again, instead of the Racketball Court or the Nashville studios? I mean they brought the gear back in October, why not bring the gear back in Jan/Feb 1977 to the Jungle Room again?

I remember reading that the recordings at the Jungle Room got way too expensive in the end, so it was decided to bring Elvis back in the studio. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks in advance.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Well, it's a 1979 song, but I always tried to think of an Elvis' version for "Broken Hearted Me" (Anne Murray). Frankly, I believe it would fit him pretty good.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:50 pm

I still wonder how Country Bumpkin would have turned out. Felton even supplied him with the lyrics, and boom, before the session even got off the ground, it was over. A truly lost opportunity.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Jingle Bell Rock
Oh, Pretty Woman
Only You (Studio)

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:17 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:You Light Up My Life (written by Joe Brooks)

phpBB [video]

You're still joking, right?

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:34 pm

There are some other Beatles songs I think Elvis would have done a good job on:

Lady Madonna, of course,
Oh! Darling,
The Long And Winding Road,
Let It Be,
Full studio version of Get Back,

Other songs;

"Fire" by Springstein (Supposedly wriitten for Elvis),
Twilight Time (Wasn't Elvis fooling around with this in the Jungle Room sessions?),
Anything by the Platters,
Bad Moon Rising,
Rock version of Mona Lisa,
Soul Man,
Rock and Roll (Zeppelin)
More Rock and R&B less Country

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:44 pm

JimmyCool wrote:Only You (Studio)

If only he had heard John Lennon's arrangement from 1974, but I don't think that was discovered until 1985 - and I doubt he would have been sold on the arrangement with Ringo's vocal.

Yet, it would have worked. And I'm sure he played with it, since I've heard stories of him doing Platter's numbers during the Jungle Room Sessions.

phpBB [video]

Lennon's vocal (Used as a guide track so Ringo could sing it)

phpBB [video]

Ringo's version. I think Elvis would have blown up a TV if he saw this.

phpBB [video]

The orginial, The Platters.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:45 pm

"If I Loved You" and "Only You". Two obvious favourites of Elvis', yet he never felt compelled to record in the studio. Recorded at the correct point in his career, they both could have been tremendous.