Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: It's certain that teenagers like Elvis LOVED this single -- and no doubt its existence on the pop charts in 1952-53 offended many an adult sensibility in much the same way hip-hop ruffles feathers today.

"That's not music ... it's out of tune, and the guy can't even sing!"

I agree to the extent that it's wrong adults of today are so hypocritical when it comes to telling the yougner generation what they should like, just like what happened with Elvis and his fans in '56. But there's also the case to be made people simply have different tastes, and generally it occurs with what era you was born in and there's not a lot that will change your mind. Let's face it, if you're a massive fan of Elvis Presley and dig that kind of music, in general, you ain't gonna be attracted to Kanye West or Dr. Dre. There may be a few exceptions, but that's simply how it is - there's no similarities in their musical styles apart from that fact Elvis was once the revolutionary and sinner of his generation - like some of these guys are now.

I just think let the youngsters get on with it - they can have their own generation if you like, it's only normal. But I'm just of the opinion there won't ever quite be a time like the golden era of music. From the 50s thru to the early 70s when there was a true golden generation of Rock, Pop and Soul artists. I still dont think there's any current artist today that will ever be talked about in 50 or 40 years time like Elvis or The Beatles are today. That period was just a one-off in musical history to me. Everything that can be achieved in music has already been done for me - I'm not blaming the artists of today it's just it's almost impossible to be as groundbreaking and original anymore as so much has already gone before them in the past 50 years.

Back on topic though this is a killer post, oh and for the record, I think that "Oh Happy Day" song is awful - if that's what was selling before Elvis came along it is a good job he came and transformed the pop culture!

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:Let's face it, if you're a massive fan of Elvis Presley and dig that kind of music, in general, you ain't gonna be attracted to Kanye West or Dr. Dre.

I am. It's wrong to assume every "massive fan" is so close-minded.

Good Time Charlie wrote:Everything that can be achieved in music has already been done for me - I'm not blaming the artists of today it's just it's almost impossible to be as groundbreaking and original anymore as so much has already gone before them in the past 50 years.

You are now your parents.

Good Time Charlie wrote:... that "Oh Happy Day" song is awful - if that's what was selling before Elvis came along it is a good job he came and transformed the pop culture!

Actually, "Oh, Happy Day" is one of the singles from the 1950s that broke through, that was a catalyst to transforming music and popular culture in that decade and beyond.

"Oh, Happy Day" received no promotion as an independent single, but the listeners (read: teenagers, black and white) were what propelled it to a major label and then the top of the Pop and R&B charts. Read the Wiki entry.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:Let's face it, if you're a massive fan of Elvis Presley and dig that kind of music, in general, you ain't gonna be attracted to Kanye West or Dr. Dre.

I am. It's wrong to assume every "massive fan" is so close-minded.

Good Time Charlie wrote:Everything that can be achieved in music has already been done for me - I'm not blaming the artists of today it's just it's almost impossible to be as groundbreaking and original anymore as so much has already gone before them in the past 50 years.

You are now your parents.

Good Time Charlie wrote:... that "Oh Happy Day" song is awful - if that's what was selling before Elvis came along it is a good job he came and transformed the pop culture!

Actually, "Oh, Happy Day" is one of the singles from the 1950s that broke through, that was a catalyst to transforming music and popular culture in that decade and beyond.

"Oh, Happy Day" received no promotion as an independent single, but the listeners (read: teenagers, black and white) were what propelled it to a major label and then the top of the Pop and R&B charts. Read the Wiki entry.

I'm of a younger generation that most here, and I myself listen to a lot of this kind of music on a regular basis due to the places I go to and the friends I have. But I rarely listen to it when I'm at home on my own - but then again I still have quite a broad personal music "archive" if you like. So yeah, maybe I shouldn't have made such a sweeping statement, but invariably I think it's correct (but of course, not all the time) and if you take a cross-section of Elvis Presley fans, the vast majority will not even have a clue about some of these Hip-Hop artists.

Well, I just think that it's certainly a lot harder to achieve something these days. When Elvis started out, he simply was the first. The concept of the teenage idol or the pop superstar was in its infancy. One could argue perhaps Sinatra was in the 40's with the bobby soxers who idolized him or whatever but in real terms, the explosion that was Rock n Roll starting with Elvis and some of the others in the 50's just revolutionized pop culture forever. I don't know, I just get the feeling today it's almost like there's not as much new to achieve anymore. Music may be better today, that's down to personal opinion, but is it more groundbreaking or essential to a generation? I'm not sure it is. It's not a criticism of today's music, it's just a statement that it is becoming harder and harder to be original simply because of the mass of great work that has gone before you. In the 1950s and 1960s there wasn't much recorded work gone before you, there was still many different sounds to be put on a record. That's the point I was loosely aiming for.

Yeah, clearly you are right about "Oh, Happy Day" but I just don't like the song at all.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:28 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:... if you take a cross-section of Elvis Presley fans, the vast majority will not even have a clue about some of these Hip-Hop artists.

It depends on the demographic of your "cross-section."

If they are under 40, the vast majority will have a clue. If they are over 60 years of age, forget it.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:30 am

Today's June 27!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis Presley attended many rehearsals in his professional career, from 1954 up until early 1976, but NONE compare to those from the summer of 1968.

Fans read about a Burbank dressing room jam, during the making of his NBC-TV Special, in the 1971 Jerry Hopkins biography, but most heard nothing until this stunning bootleg LP release in the early 1980s:

Play It Hot (Laurel, 1983)

Oh boy! Indeed, Elvis was ON FIRE, and this jam session was like a message from God. Blues, rockers, Elvis playing lead electric guitar, it was amazing! Suddenly we had even more of the elusive "sound" captured on video for the TV show, and more. A blazing version of Billy "The Kid" Emerson's "When It Rains It Pours" blew minds -- and still does.

Billy "The Kid" Emerson, "When It Rains It Pours" (Sun 214, January 1955)

Where in the world did that thrilling new Presley vocal come from? It sounds nothing like his 1955 Sun or 1957 RCA outtakes. Wow. How about Elvis storming through "I Got A Woman" as if his very life was at stake? Cool!

Three years later, this same wonderful tape was somehow upgraded, and reissued on this classic bootleg LP:

Elvis Rocks... And The Girls Roll (Pink & Black, 1986)

Here we had the template for what director Steve Binder captured as the "sit down" jams -- portions of which he included that made the 1968 holiday broadcast one of the most eventful in the history of rock 'n' roll.

In fact, if Binder had gotten his way with the network, nearly the entire show would have featured them exclusively. The jams are still considered today perhaps the very greatest rock 'n' roll ever recorded. And the rehearsals are simply more of the same!

Elvis' love for bluesman Jimmy Reed is evidenced not only by "Baby What You Want Me To Do" but also by several instrumental stabs at a 1962 Reed single, "Baby What's Wrong."

Billboard - January 6, 1962

There are interesting conversations between Elvis, Binder and writer Chris Bearde, and lots of crazy jokes and laughter. At one point Elvis details the simple doo-wop chord progression that launched a thousand singles back in the 50s, pulling out, as one of a few examples, a hit from his high school years, Don Howard's indie smash, "Oh, Happy Day."*

Don Howard "Oh, Happy Day" (Essex 311, 1952)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pja79Slowow

"Oh, Happy Day" (not to be confused with the gospel hit of the same name) was known as the "people's hit" since it became a national US hit song as well as an international hit without any initial support from the music industry. The song reached US #3 (Cashbox and Billboard national charts), United Kingdom #4, and Australia singles charts #1. Time Magazine called it the "Mystery Hit" and described it as the "rarest kind of hit, unplanned and unplugged." It was first released on record by Don Howard in early November 1952. Within two months, Don Howard's Oh Happy Day was still going up the charts, when two other versions of the same song by Lawrence Welk and The Four Knights, respectively, also went up the US hit charts, Lawrence Welk's version reaching #5 (Billboard US national charts) and the Four Knights' version reaching #8 (Billboard US national charts).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_Happy_Day_(1952)

Research into the 90s proved that the Burbank jam tape was made on Monday, June 24, but there was another recorded the next day that included a few different songs, most importantly, a super-rare run down of Sun 209, "Blue Moon of Kentucky"!

Binder must have gotten better mics set up on this second day, as the audio quality is really good. It was never bootlegged, but it's a moot issue these days, as both rehearsals have been officially released, one in 1999 and the other in 2006:

Let Yourself Go (FTD 2006)
Burbank, CA - Monday, June 24, 1968
I Got A Woman
Blue Moon / Young Love / Oh, Happy Day / Baby What's Wrong (instrumental)
When It Rains It Pours
Blue Christmas / Baby What's Wrong (instrumental)
Are You Lonesome Tonight? / That's My Desire
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
Peter Gunn Theme (instrumental) / Baby What's Wrong (instrumental)
Love Me
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
Blue Christmas / Santa Claus Is Back In Town

Burbank 68 (FTD, 1999)
Burbank, CA - Tuesday, June 25, 1968
Danny Boy (instrumental)
Baby What You Want Me To Do (instrumental)
Love Me
Elvis Talks with Steve Binder, Chris Bearde
That's All Right (instrumental) / Peter Gunn Theme (instrumental) / Santa Claus Is Back In Town (instrumental)
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
One Night
Blue Christmas
Baby What You Want Me To Do
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
Blue Moon Of Kentucky
Elvis Talks with Steve Binder, Chris Bearde

---

Personnel:
Guitar : Elvis Presley
Guitar : Scotty Moore
Percussion : D.J. Fontana
Laughter : Charlie Hodge, Lamar Fike, Joe Esposito, Alan Fortas, Lance LeGault

http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s680624a.htm

---

Both of these jam sessions are also on The Complete '68 Comeback Special box set RCA issued in 2008.

If you don't have these, they are ESSENTIAL purchases for any fan of Elvis Presley, or the greatest rock 'n' roll in history.

---

*Not to confused with "Oh Happy Day," the top 5 hit by the Edwin Hawkins Singers (from Oakland, CA!), which Elvis ran down at an August 7, 1970 Las Vegas stage rehearsal and gave a rousing live performance just a few days later, at the August 14, 1970 MS. The former is on video, and issued by RCA in 2000, the latter has been bootlegged for years and best heard on The Man In White, Volume 3 bootleg CD. Elvis is so good doing this kind of deep gospel it boggles the mind why he chose not to cut more of these for his 1971-72 gospel project, He Touched Me.

Another good topic. Just love the way Elvis tries to sing "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" in it's original key. He obviously hadn't sang it in years and couldn't remember his own version of it from 1954...shame he didn't listen to his '54 version, before he started to sing it here.

"When It Rains, It really Pours" by Emerson, is one of those truely great R&B tracks that came out of Sun Records. It's a masterpiece! Nothing comes close to Emersons version...makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up whenever i play it.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote: Just love the way Elvis tries to sing "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" in it's original key. He obviously hadn't sang it in years and couldn't remember his own version of it from 1954... shame he didn't listen to his '54 version, before he started to sing it here.

I agree.

mysterytrainrideson wrote:"When It Rains, It really Pours" by Emerson, is one of those truely great R&B tracks that came out of Sun Records. It's a masterpiece! Nothing comes close to Emersons version... makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up whenever i play it.

I just listened to Emerson's recording on YouTube and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, too... sort of like when a teacher breaks chalk on a blackboard and her fingernails screech across the surface!

Elvis' 1955 and '57 versions are much better, imo.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Blue River wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote: Just love the way Elvis tries to sing "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" in it's original key. He obviously hadn't sang it in years and couldn't remember his own version of it from 1954... shame he didn't listen to his '54 version, before he started to sing it here.

I agree.

mysterytrainrideson wrote:"When It Rains, It really Pours" by Emerson, is one of those truely great R&B tracks that came out of Sun Records. It's a masterpiece! Nothing comes close to Emersons version... makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up whenever i play it.

I just listened to Emerson's recording on YouTube and it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, too... sort of like when a teacher breaks chalk on a blackboard and her fingernails screech across the surface!

Elvis' 1955 and '57 versions are much better, imo.

"sort of like when a teacher breaks chalk on a blackboards and her finger nails screech across the surface!" :roll: :shock: A little bit over the top Blue River!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Another good topic. Just love the way Elvis tries to sing "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" in it's original key. He obviously hadn't sang it in years and couldn't remember his own version of it from 1954...shame he didn't listen to his '54 version, before he started to sing it here.

"When It Rains, It really Pours" by Emerson, is one of those truely great R&B tracks that came out of Sun Records. It's a masterpiece! Nothing comes close to Emersons version...makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up whenever i play it.

Elvis basically dives back into his beloved favorites in all their original keys, and does very well. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" isn't bad, just unrehearsed. And, of course, what we are listening to is a private rehearsal. Elvis would have figured out the Monroe song in A major without a problem if he'd devoted some more time to it.

Billy (The Kid) Emerson's "When It Rains It Pours" is a fantastic R&B track, and no wonder Elvis was drawn to it, despite its status as the B-side to Sun 214. It's interesting that the original begins in somewhat unique fashion with the chorus, but Elvis' effort in 1955 at Sun (as well as the 1957 and 1968 recordings) leads with the verse. However, if we consider the blazing rock 'n' roll of 1968, Elvis takes the prize.

Thank you for the kind words.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Billy (The Kid) Emerson's "When It Rains It Pours" is a fantastic R&B track, and no wonder Elvis was drawn to it...

Elvis was "drawn" to it because he probably thought to himself, "That's terrible! I think I can do much better with that song." And he did.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:47 am

Great Stuff Doc - Ty So Much - Love This Thread - Keep up the good work - ::rocks

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:08 am

karlos wrote:Great Stuff Doc - Ty So Much - Love This Thread - Keep up the good work - ::rocks

Thank you.

Be sure to check out the original Sun 214 -- Billy (The Kid) Emerson made a great recording for Sam Phillips!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
karlos wrote:Great Stuff Doc - Ty So Much - Love This Thread - Keep up the good work - ::rocks

Thank you.
Be sure to check out the original Sun 214 -- Billy (The Kid) Emerson made a great recording for Sam Phillips!

smt174

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 am

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Billy (The Kid) Emerson's "When It Rains It Pours" is a fantastic R&B track, and no wonder Elvis was drawn to it...

Elvis was "drawn" to it because he probably thought to himself, "That's terrible! I think I can do much better with that song." And he did.

I agree, Elvis' versions - particularly the '57 cut - tower over Emerson's rather plodding take.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:38 am

elvisalisellers wrote:I agree, Elvis' versions - particularly the '57 cut - tower over Emerson's rather plodding take.

Only ignoring the historical record makes it possible to accept that Presley ever disliked Sun 214. It is a fact that Elvis did not cut a song at Sun for Sam Phillips he did not believe in. Presley is fully invested in the November 1955 Sun session.

That Elvis returns to "When It Rains It Pours" in 1968 proves that his appreciation of the Emerson single remained strong.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:46 am

Emerson's version is very good, just different to Elvis'. Some obviously have no clue how Elvis liked his R&B circa 1950's.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:53 am

WildStyle wrote:Emerson's version is very good, just different to Elvis'. Some obviously have no clue how Elvis liked his R&B circa 1950's.

Indeed.

Growing up, Elvis had SUPERB taste in all music, and no exception was the R&B he heard on the radio as a teenager.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I agree, Elvis' versions - particularly the '57 cut - tower over Emerson's rather plodding take.

Only ignoring the historical record makes it possible to accept that Presley ever disliked Sun 214. It is a fact that Elvis did not cut a song at Sun for Sam Phillips he did not believe in. Presley is fully invested in the November 1955 Sun session.

That Elvis returns to "When It Rains It Pours" in 1968 proves that his appreciation of the Emerson single remained strong.

Well said Doc.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
WildStyle wrote:Emerson's version is very good, just different to Elvis'. Some obviously have no clue how Elvis liked his R&B circa 1950's.

Indeed.

Growing up, Elvis had SUPERB taste in all music, and no exception was the R&B he heard on the radio as a teenager.

+1

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 pm

I like where he says "godd@*%$ that's high" in When It Rains, It Really Pours during the dressing room rehearsals. It's sometimes difficult to nail it like you were 22, but he sure does. He also remarks "I'll do it" during Blue Moon of Kentucky when someone in the room expresses doubt that he can hit the high key. His rhythm guitar work is fast and furious on I Got A Woman. I've been listening to the FTD "Let Yourself Go" and "The Complete Dressing Room Rehearsals" bootleg a lot lately.

Hey Doc, who do you think that is with the horrendous laugh all through the rehearsal? A couple of times you can hear Elvis snicker a little when the guy laughs. Man, that had to wear thin after a while.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Super-post, I missed out on it the first time and I'm glad it was brought up again. It was only recently that I got hold of Elvis Rocks and the Girls Roll, a superb release and much better in terms of fidelity compared to Play it Hot. The lastmentioned has the cooler cover though! That rehearsal was also re-released from a good source, tape I guess, on a CD-bootleg titled From Burbank to Vegas some 20 years ago. Until FTD released their material that bootleg often span in my player.
Thanks again!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Food for mental digestion ~

If Elvis thought Emerson's version was even half of what drjohncarpenter thinks it's cracked up to be, then Elvis would've "copied" his version (as Elvis was known to do from time to time from certain demos).

Give it a rest, fellas! Elvis' 1955 recording (and especially his '57 master) are superior to that mess Emerson was grunting out.

More than likely Elvis heard potential in the song (by way of the lyrics) as opposed to the way Emerson was "trying" to sing it.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Only ignoring the historical record...

Please stop pretending to be a musical elitist and open your ears for a change. Emerson's singing is pathetic and his vocal timing throughout the song is embarrassing to say the least.

Elvis saw great potential in the song's lyrics and he worked his own magic on it.
Last edited by Blue River on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:09 pm

jparsons1969 wrote:I like where he says "godd@*%$ that's high" in When It Rains, It Really Pours during the dressing room rehearsals. It's sometimes difficult to nail it like you were 22, but he sure does. He also remarks "I'll do it" during Blue Moon of Kentucky when someone in the room expresses doubt that he can hit the high key. His rhythm guitar work is fast and furious on I Got A Woman. I've been listening to the FTD "Let Yourself Go" and "The Complete Dressing Room Rehearsals" bootleg a lot lately.

Hey Doc, who do you think that is with the horrendous laugh all through the rehearsal? A couple of times you can hear Elvis snicker a little when the guy laughs. Man, that had to wear thin after a while.

The June 1968 recordings made by Elvis (Western Recorders studio, Burbank backstage, Burbank on stage) are just about 100% enjoyable, and I mean even the scraps. What a shining highlight in a career FILLED with them.

IIRC, the distinctive laugh you hear on the rehearsal tapes is Lamar Fike, a dear friend of Elvis' from 1957 to the end.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Well said Doc.

Thank you!

It should further be noted that none other than Sam Phillips was the first to appreciate Emerson and his song, and knew it would be perfect for Presley. Elvis' 1957 RCA master was cut as a favor to Sam as well, although it did not surface until 1965.