Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Red comes across as very smart. A good book would be very informative.

As far as mixing up 1974 and 1970 at the Astrodome, I personally did not. Again it was in Day By Day. Granted they may have mixed up the date

Thu May 19, 2011 5:33 am

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Quite rightly??

Based on what?

The sequence of events on Monday, May 1, 1967 at the Aladdin Hotel. Are you unfamiliar with them?

I am, but do you blame Elvis?

For Red being told at the last minute he would not be a part of the ceremony?

Hmm, let me think. Whose wedding was it?

Luuk wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis probably could smell the law suits coming from that kind of activity.

That's why Red and his buddies got fired eventually.

That's not at all the reason why Elvis had his daddy call Red to say they had to "cut back on expenses."

Do we need to address the truth yet again?

Your rigid mindset regarding Red West and other Memphis Mafia members (always bad) and Colonel Parker (always good) is such old news.

Thu May 19, 2011 7:32 am

Elvis was Best Man at Red's wedding and Red didn't even get an invite to Elvis'. I can understand why he was hurt. Elvis should have ensured that those close to him were not left out. He gave the bloody Colonel way too much control.

Thu May 19, 2011 7:41 am

Elvis and Red had an abiding friendship. They did some wrong things to each other, but I do think they really cared for one another.

Thu May 19, 2011 9:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Luuk wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis probably could smell the law suits coming from that kind of activity.

That's why Red and his buddies got fired eventually.

That's not at all the reason why Elvis had his daddy call Red to say they had to "cut back on expenses."

Do we need to address the truth yet again?

Your rigid mindset regarding Red West and other Memphis Mafia members (always bad) and Colonel Parker (always good) is such old news.

Not to mention wrong and misguiding.

Fri May 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Maybe he wasn't there in 1969 or early 1970. The source for me thinking he was at the Astrodome was Day by Day.

Guess you're right or... Guralnick/Jørgensen are wrong.

From Day By Day (page 269):

25 (February) Wednesday

Elvis flies to Houston for his engagement at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in Kirk Kerkorian's private jet. [...] the manifest [...] includes Joe, Red and Sonny West, Charlie Hodge, Gee Gee Gambill, Cliff Gleaves, and Vernon Presley, but no wives.

Sat May 21, 2011 1:09 am

Maybe in 1970 Red was sick and stayed at the Houston hotel the entire time.

Sat May 21, 2011 2:22 am

I think Red, more than anyone else, and for all his faults, was the living voice of Elvis' conscience. As soon as the situation was that Elvis felt guilty taking his drugs around Red, that he knew Red knew he had a problem, the writing was on the wall, and the lawsuits while, expensive, were an excuse.

Elvis, at the time, couldn't allow himself to risk being told the truth, or being stood up to.

As others have said, I'm not sure what had to come first - it's a little like the chicken and the egg. Would Elvis have needed to clean himself up first before he could face being around Red again, or would have taken Red being around to help him face his issues.

Another what / if scenario, but it's interesting to think about it.

For what it's worth, red had every right to feel aggrieved not to be invited to the wedding, even ig he wasn't best man.
Last edited by DarrylMac on Sat May 21, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Good post DarryllMac

Sun May 22, 2011 3:06 am

DarrylMac wrote:I think Red, more than anyone else, and for all his faults, was the living voice of Elvis' conscience. As soon as the situation was that Elvis felt guilty taking his drugs around Red, that he knew Red knew he had a problem, the writing was on the wall, and the lawsuits while, expensive, were an excuse.

Elvis, at the time, couldn't allow himself to risk being told the truth, or being stood up to.

Bingo!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:09 am

Red was, I believe, the only man who could confront Elvis about the drugs. Like he did in sept.1974 with Donnie Sumner who became a drug suplier for many, including Elvis.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:03 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Red was, I believe, the only man who could confront Elvis about the drugs. Like he did in sept.1974 with Donnie Sumner who became a drug suplier for many, including Elvis.

According to Sonny West it was Tim Batey, not Donnie Sumner.

I'm under the impression that Red just held a certain distance to Elvis between 1967 to 1970. He played a small part in Live a Little Love a Little, it's not unlikely he was in Las Vegas in 1969, and I have no trouble accepting he was at the Astrodome in 1970. So was Cliff Gleaves by the way.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:17 am

According to Marty Lacker, Red was there in Elvis' office when Marty made his "Everyone would love to have Elvis Presley cut their record but no one will give up their publishing any more to do it" speech.

That supposedly took place on January 19, 1969. The other participants were George Klein and Lamar Fike.

This info comes from Revelations From The Memphis Mafia pg. 457-458.