Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

red west 1967-1970

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:58 am

By all means, Red West was absent from Elvis life since the wedding until 1970. When did he return? (I know Sonny says on one movie he worked with Elvis again after speedway, but yet both friends were apart.

What's really special is that Red was absent from one of the best moments in Elvis's career. Being one of the "musical" friends (he wrote songs, he was interested in Elvis's career as a recording artist), he wasn't at the 68 comeback, the america sessions, etc. One of the consequences was that he didn't get his songs recorded by his friend. From 1971 on he was many times there providing material. Do you think he'd provided songs for elvis 1969.1970 sessions?

I'd like to ask Red about what he thought about being apart from Elvis. How he learned about Elvis's successes (by the papers and radio? by his cousin?), what he thought about it, was he itching to be in the middle of that again??

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:53 am

Red quite rightly split after the May 1967 wedding fiasco, but he was back in the fold within a couple of years.

He dove into acting work on buddy Robert Conrad's hit CBS-TV show "The Wild, Wild West," and probably kept up his songwriting on some level. It's unclear if he had any input into Elvis' stunning sessions at American Sound in early 1969, although Red knew all of the guys involved.

Ironically, Elvis probably tuned in every Friday night at 7:30 PM to watch "The Wild, Wild West."

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:12 am

When we left Vegas in September 70 after seeing our Elvis perform many times - we headed for Phoenix to see another show..................after the show there all us gals went to the bar at the hotel where Elvis was staying and there was Red pissed out of his mind..............a few of the guys hitailed him out of the bar quickly, one guy on each side with Red's arms up around their shoulders........................I remember seeing him again in Tahoe - someone came on the stage while Elvis was singing Can't Help Falling Love and Red flung them right off.................Elvis looked furious and just glared at him - I often wonder what Elvis said to him after that show..................

Those are my memorable experiences of seeing Red....................

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:02 am

Elvis loved him!

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:19 am

I don't think Red West was gone for that long.

If i remember right he appears in Live a little, love a little.

When a member of the Memphis mafia is absent they learn about what went on from the other guys.

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:53 am

Interesting stories Barbie, though I tend to agree with doc that Elvis did have a deep fondness for Red.
I wonder if they may have again reunited if Elvis had survived a few more years.

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:56 am

brian wrote:If i remember right he appears in Live a little, love a little.

West had a bit part at the behest of cousin Sonny West, a one day gig, but contact was otherwise almost nonexistent during this period.

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 1:56 am

I think I read recently that he was at the 1969 Vegas opener. Wasn't he at the Astrodome 1970 shows. I know he came back full time from the death threat in Aug 1970 on to 1976.

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 2:03 am

Barbie wrote:When we left Vegas in September 70 after seeing our Elvis perform many times - we headed for Phoenix to see another show..................after the show there all us gals went to the bar at the hotel where Elvis was staying and there was Red pissed out of his mind..............a few of the guys hitailed him out of the bar quickly, one guy on each side with Red's arms up around their shoulders........................I remember seeing him again in Tahoe - someone came on the stage while Elvis was singing Can't Help Falling Love and Red flung them right off.................Elvis looked furious and just glared at him - I often wonder what Elvis said to him after that show..................

Those are my memorable experiences of seeing Red....................

Cool story. Do you happen to remember what hotel it was?

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 2:07 am

Mike Eder wrote:I think I read recently that he was at the 1969 Vegas opener. Wasn't he at the Astrodome 1970 shows.

Don't believe Red was present for either.

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 2:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Red quite rightly split after the May 1967 wedding fiasco, but he was back in the fold within a couple of years.

He dove into acting work on buddy Robert Conrad's hit CBS-TV show "The Wild, Wild West," and probably kept up his songwriting on some level. It's unclear if he had any input into Elvis' stunning sessions at American Sound in early 1969, although Red knew all of the guys involved.

Ironically, Elvis probably tuned in every Friday night at 7:30 PM to watch "The Wild, Wild West."


Quite rightly??

Based on what?

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 am

Barbie wrote:When we left Vegas in September 70 after seeing our Elvis perform many times - we headed for Phoenix to see another show..................after the show there all us gals went to the bar at the hotel where Elvis was staying and there was Red pissed out of his mind..............a few of the guys hitailed him out of the bar quickly, one guy on each side with Red's arms up around their shoulders........................I remember seeing him again in Tahoe - someone came on the stage while Elvis was singing Can't Help Falling Love and Red flung them right off.................Elvis looked furious and just glared at him - I often wonder what Elvis said to him after that show..................

Those are my memorable experiences of seeing Red....................


Red played football.
But sometimes I don' think he understood the difference between defense and offense.

He was hired to defend Elvis from the fans, not rough them up.

Out of curiousity, was the fan that was flung, male or female?

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 2:51 am

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Red quite rightly split after the May 1967 wedding fiasco, but he was back in the fold within a couple of years.

He dove into acting work on buddy Robert Conrad's hit CBS-TV show "The Wild, Wild West," and probably kept up his songwriting on some level. It's unclear if he had any input into Elvis' stunning sessions at American Sound in early 1969, although Red knew all of the guys involved.

Ironically, Elvis probably tuned in every Friday night at 7:30 PM to watch "The Wild, Wild West."


Quite rightly??

Based on what?

The sequence of events on Monday, May 1, 1967 at the Aladdin Hotel. Are you unfamiliar with them?

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 3:19 am

I don't blame Red, and a few others, for being upset over the wedding snub.
I wonder if Elvis had lived a few more years would they have reconciled after their 76-77 split, which was obviously more formal?

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 4:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Red quite rightly split after the May 1967 wedding fiasco, but he was back in the fold within a couple of years.

He dove into acting work on buddy Robert Conrad's hit CBS-TV show "The Wild, Wild West," and probably kept up his songwriting on some level. It's unclear if he had any input into Elvis' stunning sessions at American Sound in early 1969, although Red knew all of the guys involved.

Ironically, Elvis probably tuned in every Friday night at 7:30 PM to watch "The Wild, Wild West."


Quite rightly??

Based on what?

The sequence of events on Monday, May 1, 1967 at the Aladdin Hotel. Are you unfamiliar with them?


I am, but do you blame Elvis?

Was he in charge of invitations?

Or did he just let some wedding plainner decide who was invited?

Or was Red specifically upset because he wasn't chosen as a best man?

Was Red intentionally not invited or was he just overlooked in all the confusion of a quick get-a-way wedding?

Are we sure that Elvis did this intentionally?

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 4:32 am

It is often mentioned that Colonel Parker pulled the strings of the wedding and the invites but this might have been a good time for Elvis to stand up to him

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 7:42 am

Sorry,I don't remember the name of the hotel in Phoenix in Sept/70- but I'll see if one of my girlfriends remembers.............was a posh place............a Hilton?.............also.the fan who was flung off the stage in Tahoe was a young man.................he went flying!!!............................I'll never forget the look Elvis gave Red...............if looks could kill.................................

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 7:45 am

Barbie wrote:Sorry,I don't remember the name of the hotel in Phoenix in Sept/70- but I'll see if one of my girlfriends remembers.............was a posh place............a Hilton?.............also.the fan who was flung off the stage in Tahoe was a young man.................he went flying!!!............................I'll never forget the look Elvis gave Red...............if looks could kill.................................


Thanks, the reason I asked was I wondered if Red was the type that would actually fling a woman off the stage.

Elvis probably could smell the law suits coming from that kind of activity.

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 8:33 am

This is an interesting topic and IIRC I don't think Red addressed it in 'Elvis What Happened'. I was at a convention which Red attended a few years ago and it would have been a good question to raise. Did Red actually resign or just disappear? Did Elvis and Sonny talk about it? At who's instigation did Red get back into the fold? How did he feel about missing out on some of the high points of his friends career? A Red West only memoir would be very interesting.

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 9:43 am

Maybe he wasn't there in 1969 or early 1970. The source for me thinking he was at the Astrodome was Day by Day.

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 am

Delboy wrote:This is an interesting topic and IIRC I don't think Red addressed it in 'Elvis What Happened'. I was at a convention which Red attended a few years ago and it would have been a good question to raise. Did Red actually resign or just disappear? Did Elvis and Sonny talk about it? At who's instigation did Red get back into the fold? How did he feel about missing out on some of the high points of his friends career? A Red West only memoir would be very interesting.



Agreed - a new Red West memoir would be most welcome

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 11:21 am

Mike Eder wrote:Maybe he wasn't there in 1969 or early 1970. The source for me thinking he was at the Astrodome was Day by Day.


Somehow I thought i remember seeing Red riding in the red pickup truck taking Elvis for a ride inside the grounds of the Astrodome but after looking at all these picks from that day i only see Sonny , Joe , and Parker.
If red was around Elvis at this time he would have been pictured in on of these for sure.

http://www4.sul.com.br/epkingd/domee.htm

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 11:25 am

ekenee wrote:
Barbie wrote:Sorry,I don't remember the name of the hotel in Phoenix in Sept/70- but I'll see if one of my girlfriends remembers.............was a posh place............a Hilton?.............also.the fan who was flung off the stage in Tahoe was a young man.................he went flying!!!............................I'll never forget the look Elvis gave Red...............if looks could kill.................................


Thanks, the reason I asked was I wondered if Red was the type that would actually fling a woman off the stage.

Elvis probably could smell the law suits coming from that kind of activity.


That's why Red and his buddies got fired eventually.
There is so much one can take from a "friend".
If his behaviour does not improve there is no other way than fire him.
This started already in Germany, where the USA military officials asked Elvis to get rid of his "friend" Red, who was constantly fighting at the local bar(s).
I am surprised Elvis did not fire him much, much sooner.

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 12:02 pm

promiseland wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:Maybe he wasn't there in 1969 or early 1970. The source for me thinking he was at the Astrodome was Day by Day.


Somehow I thought i remember seeing Red riding in the red pickup truck taking Elvis for a ride inside the grounds of the Astrodome but after looking at all these picks from that day i only see Sonny , Joe , and Parker.
If red was around Elvis at this time he would have been pictured in on of these for sure.

http://www4.sul.com.br/epkingd/domee.htm


Red was there in 1974, perhaps your confusing the two appearances.

phpBB [video]



Luuk, while your point has some validity, who knows what Red's state of mind was at that time and what chemicals he too was consuming. I don't remember hearing of any 'fan' related issues other than in the 1970's where in hindsight Red's whole life was likely out of hand much of the time. In Germany he was enjoying the odd bar brawl with the locals. Irrespectively though Elvis' behavior towards Red on May 1st 1967 is inexcusable.

Re: red west 1967-1970

Wed May 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Julian Grant wrote:Luuk, while your point has some validity, who knows what Red's state of mind was at that time and what chemicals he too was consuming. I don't remember hearing of any 'fan' related issues other than in the 1970's where in hindsight Red's whole life was likely out of hand much of the time. In Germany he was enjoying the odd bar brawl with the locals. Irrespectively though Elvis' behavior towards Red on May 1st 1967 is inexcusable.


From the time Elvis fell the colonel took control over much of the private life of Elvis. This included the wedding. While i agree that under normal circumstances the wedding should have involved the wishes of Elvis too (i wonder if there would have been a marriage at all), we all can agree that from the time colonel took control over Elvis' private life circumstances were no longer normal.

While i can see Red being angry and rightly so, i can also see the hopelessness of the situation Elvis found himself in.

While both men were flawed like any other human being, i do think it would always have been a matter of time before a reconciliation. After the marriage this happened. They obviously cared for each other. I am inclined to think that if Elvis would have survived 1977 and the What Happened book, a renewed friendship would have been possible.

I think i read somewhere that Red expressed his regret for being involved in the tell-all book and rightly so.

At the same time, i am curious what an Red West only book would be like. It is one that is absolutely missing in the canon on Elvis.