Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:
"She's Not You", the new Leiber-Stoller-Pomus composition, performed surprisingly well as an uncharectistically pensive A-side selling 800,000 copies and underscoring Elvis' sense of himself in this new interpretive role".

Why was this surprisingly good? His previous single was #1 and sold well. He was still at the point that all his singles were big hits and performed solidly. The case could be made that the single disappointed, not hitting #1.

Steve L.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:28 pm

stevelecher wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:
"She's Not You", the new Leiber-Stoller-Pomus composition, performed surprisingly well as an uncharectistically pensive A-side selling 800,000 copies and underscoring Elvis' sense of himself in this new interpretive role".

Why was this surprisingly good? His previous single was #1 and sold well. He was still at the point that all his singles were big hits and performed solidly. The case could be made that the single disappointed, not hitting #1.

Steve L.

Well because it was "uncharacteristically pensive". There had been probably two other A-sides by Elvis that sold well and were "pensive", those two being "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" and "Don't".

And the single didn't dissapoint in the UK, it was number 1 for 3 weeks.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:31 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Why was this surprisingly good?

Well because it was "uncharacteristically pensive".

Quite true.

His other recent single hits were more vociferous than "She's Not You."

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:35 am

I like the Ransom-typography of the She's Got you ad. Something different. Daring. Reminds me of Never mind the ... in '77. Hmm, punk avant-la-lettre.

Wish some other artist's P.R. girls & guys were more inventive at the time (and now ... Viva - yawn - Elvis)

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 am

So.... basically you are saying, doc, that this is a sort of an answer song to Patsy Cline's 'She's Got You'?

I just love Patsy Cline. She must be one of the greatest vocalists of our times.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:35 am

epf wrote:So.... basically you are saying, doc, that this is a sort of an answer song to Patsy Cline's 'She's Got You'?

Not exactly, it's just a tune influenced by Cline's beautiful hit sound at that time. That she was using the Jordanaires on some of her tracks is another parallel.

epf wrote:I just love Patsy Cline. She must be one of the greatest vocalists of our times.

Totally agree! Like Elvis, she sung from her heart, and you can feel it. What a magnificent talent, and what a tragic end.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:So.... basically you are saying, doc, that this is a sort of an answer song to Patsy Cline's 'She's Got You'?

Not exactly, it's just a tune influenced by Cline's beautiful hit sound at that time. That she was using the Jordanaires on some of her tracks is another parallel.

epf wrote:I just love Patsy Cline. She must be one of the greatest vocalists of our times.

Totally agree! Like Elvis, she sung from her heart, and you can feel it. What a magnificent talent, and what a tragic end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patsy_Cline#Death Chilling stuff. So sad. Yes, she also sang from the heart and you can indeed feel it.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:11 am

Patsy cut many classic records in Nashville in the early 1960s using the talents of Hank Garland, Floyd Cramer, Bob Moore, Buddy Harman, Grady Martin, Harold Bradley, the Jordanaires and other very familiar Presley people.

L-R: Jordanaires, Jerry Byrd (seated), Hawkshaw Hawkins and Patsy Cline
Bradley Studios, Nashville, February 1963

Between 1960 and 1963 she also cut these tracks:

True Love
Your Cheatin' Heart
I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)
Faded Love
Blue Moon of Kentucky

Elvis recorded these too.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Patsy cut many classic records in Nashville in the early 1960s using the talents of Hank Garland, Floyd Cramer, Bob Moore, Buddy Harman, Grady Martin, Harold Bradley, the Jordanaires and other very familiar Presley people.

L-R: Jordanaires, Jerry Byrd (seated), Hawkshaw Hawkins and Patsy Cline
Bradley Studios, Nashville, February 1963

Between 1960 and 1963 she also cut these tracks:

True Love
Your Cheatin' Heart
I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)
Faded Love
Blue Moon of Kentucky

Elvis recorded these too.

If you don't mind me getting a little picky and including other tracks that both
Patsy and Elvis attemped, I would add,

Just a closer walk with thee
Tennessee Waltz
Down by the riverside
Shake rattle and roll

And 3 other titles that Elvis did one liners of.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

DJC wrote:

Doc: I doubt the song is that influenced by Cline's great record. Other than similar titles, the songs aren't that similar. Their structure and subject matter are very different. They are two great songs by two great singers.

Steve Lecher

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:27 am

stevelecher wrote:Doc: I doubt the song is that influenced by Cline's great record. Other than similar titles, the songs aren't that similar.

The whole point of this topic is in direct opposition to your corner-case view.

It's like saying "Alias Smith and Jones" wasn't influenced by "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:41 am

Well, it was your topic and if that's your take, great. They're both 1962 hits, they have similar titles and use many of the same musicians, so they have things in common. I just think the Elvis single didn't get written as a response to Cline's record. Both these songs are favorites of mine and listened to regularly.

I think Cline's "Why Can't He Be You," in subject matter, reminds me more of Elvis' song.

Steve Lecher

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:22 am

stevelecher wrote:Well, it was your topic and if that's your take, great. They're both 1962 hits, they have similar titles and use many of the same musicians, so they have things in common. I just think the Elvis single didn't get written as a response to Cline's record. Both these songs are favorites of mine and listened to regularly.

I think Cline's "Why Can't He Be You," in subject matter, reminds me more of Elvis' song.

Steve Lecher

I agree, I don't think is any relation between the two songs.
Pure coincidence that they have a similair title.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:44 pm

stevelecher wrote:... the Elvis single didn't get written as a response to Cline's record.

No one has said anything to the contrary. But it's a fact that "She's Not You" does betray the influence of the hit sound of Patsy Cline, circa 1961-62, especially in the titles already noted in my original post. That she and Elvis used many of the same singers and musicians only underscores the shared influences. This is the point being made.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:... the Elvis single didn't get written as a response to Cline's record.

No one has said anything to the contrary. But it's a fact that "She's Not You" does betray the influence of the hit sound of Patsy Cline, circa 1961-62, especially in the titles already noted in my original post. That she and Elvis used many of the same singers and musicians only underscores the shared influences. This is the point being made.

yes, they used the same singers/ musicians so the sounds of the Early 60's were similiar between the two.

A good comparison might be "Something Blue" having a similar sound as "She's got you".

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:47 am

Doc and Eke:

Didn't both artists put out some great sounding records from 1960 - 1963?

Steve L.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:14 am

stevelecher wrote:Didn't both artists put out some great sounding records from 1960 - 1963?

Indeed. It's a shame Patsy died so young.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 am

ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is beyond belief that the guy who had cut tracks for RCA like "Hound Dog" (1956), "One Night" (1957), "Reconsider Baby" (1960)" or "Little Sister" (1961), to name just four, would choose to sing and record a song as inauthentic and wimpy as "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello."

That this was a studio session and it still slipped through -- or was embraced -- was a sign of very bad things to come.

Freddy Bienstock was convinced it had great commercial potential !

Freddy did an interview where he says he originally tried to pitch the song to Johnny Cash...don't know what happened there...maybe Johnny thought "i ain't singing this rubbish".

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:06 am

1 thing i hate about Just tell her Jim said hello is that loud annoying triangle. the alts are better than the master.
The original choice for single wasn't She's not you Elvis picked these 2 You'll be gone./Just tell her Jim said hello.Wonder when he changed his mind?
Patsy is a btr singer than Loretta Lynn.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 am

ritchie valens wrote:1 thing i hate about Just tell her Jim said hello is that loud annoying triangle. the alts are better than the master.
The original choice for single wasn't She's not you Elvis picked these 2 You'll be gone./Just tell her Jim said hello.Wonder when he changed his mind?
Patsy is a btr singer than Loretta Lynn.

Yes, the alternate on Collectors Gold is very nice indeed. And I have to say I prefer the song over She's Not You. Good Luck Charm and She's Not You are two songs I wouldn't mind never hearing again, actually.

She's Got You, on the other hand, is a lovely song and would have been a lovely addition to the Elvis Country album.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:51 am

I love Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello, but only the master take, triangle and all. The alternate on Collector's Gold sounds like a run through to me and features none of the pain and emotion Elvis fills the master take with.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is beyond belief that the guy who had cut tracks for RCA like "Hound Dog" (1956), "One Night" (1957), "Reconsider Baby" (1960)" or "Little Sister" (1961), to name just four, would choose to sing and record a song as inauthentic and wimpy as "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello."

That this was a studio session and it still slipped through -- or was embraced -- was a sign of very bad things to come.

Freddy Bienstock was convinced it had great commercial potential !

Freddy did an interview where he says he originally tried to pitch the song to Johnny Cash...don't know what happened there...maybe Johnny thought "i ain't singing this rubbish".

It's not top-shelf material, that's for sure.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:42 am

Chris Isaak think it's good enough to cover it in his album Beyond The Sun.

Below is the live version by Isaak.
phpBB [video]

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:29 am

Does Isaak have a cover of "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" in his arsenal?

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:56 am

Elvis certainly elevates She's Not You to a much higher level than Mr. Isaac could hope to.