"She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Post by stevelecher »

This particular piece of fluff is a favorite of mine and I guessed that was your meaning behind "beyond belief." As I said, I know you like it much less than I.

We can all agree that much worse was coming and that 1963's material would be far more dire.

Steve Lecher

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ekenee »

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is beyond belief that the guy who had cut tracks for RCA like "Hound Dog" (1956), "One Night" (1957), "Reconsider Baby" (1960)" or "Little Sister" (1961), to name just four, would choose to sing and record a song as inauthentic and wimpy as "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello."

That this was a studio session and it still slipped through -- or was embraced -- was a sign of very bad things to come.
Well said. I have always been baffled that Elvis recorded fluff like "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" during this prolific period. Yes, it sadly was a sign of things to come.
Yes, sadly, things coming would become sader. The sadnees of things around the bend is baffling.
Then came 1968 and things were happy.
But by 1977 it got sad again. Baffling. I'm baffled.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is beyond belief that the guy who had cut tracks for RCA like "Hound Dog" (1956), "One Night" (1957), "Reconsider Baby" (1960)" or "Little Sister" (1961), to name just four, would choose to sing and record a song as inauthentic and wimpy as "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello."

That this was a studio session and it still slipped through -- or was embraced -- was a sign of very bad things to come.
Well said. I have always been baffled that Elvis recorded fluff like "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" during this prolific period. Yes, it sadly was a sign of things to come.
Yes, sadly, things coming would become sader. The sadnees of things around the bend is baffling.
Then came 1968 and things were happy.
But by 1977 it got sad again. Baffling. I'm baffled.
Are we to assume you are a fan of "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello"?

bajo

Post by bajo »

I'm a fan of both these sides! What you like is what YOU like! The "record" states there were "severeal" human beeings out there liking the record as it was!
File under: A fav of mine!I It's Elvis, mind you! From That's All Right, Hound Dog, It's Now Or Never, Devil In Disguise, Crying In The Chapel, It Hurts Me, Memphis, Guitar Man, Big Boss Man, In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, Polk Salad Annie, Burning Love, An American Trilogy and....Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello!
Amazing isn't it? 8) How big can you get without beeing noticed??

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

rocknroller
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by rocknroller »

one man's fluff is another man's treasure !

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

Oh come off it! There's MUCH worse songs in the Presley canon. Scores of songs worse - and I'm not even talking about the Movie songs here!

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I enjoy "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" but recognise that its not quality material. Certainly not single worthy.

Its difficult not to like anything Elvis cut in the early 60s since his singing was just so darn good!

bajo

Post by bajo »

There you go Matthew! How difficult is it really to dig this "s'naffabitch"?

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Matthew wrote:I enjoy "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" but recognise that its not quality material. Certainly not single worthy.

Its difficult not to like anything Elvis cut in the early 60s since his singing was just so darn good!
Agreed. There are a handful of unimpressive tracks from the period, but the vocal performances typically enjoyable.

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

Matthew wrote:

its all about the songs the voice means nothing ,the beatles got away with it for years...............................

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

bajo

Post by bajo »

To me the difference is: I like Elvis because the way he sings the songs! Sometimes it's not about the song! It's about the singer!
"It's The Singer, Not The Song"! 8) And why are we still in here, it it wasn't for the singer????? :D And still, most of you sneak away with that silly fav of a song you don't want others to know you actually like!? How hard is it really to an Elvis fan? :wink:

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

The song was still good enough that Elvis picked it for his single release, over other strong material, like Suspicion, from this session.

His great vocal, where he really does sound broken hearted, transforms this song into something much more than it would have been by someone else.

Steve Lecher

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Freddy Bienstock was convinced it had great commercial potential !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

rocknroller wrote:its all about the songs the voice means nothing ,the beatles got away with it for years...............................
Huh?

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ColinB wrote:

Freddy wasn't exactly a visionary now, was he?

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Matthew wrote:
rocknroller wrote:its all about the songs the voice means nothing ,the beatles got away with it for years...............................
Huh?
Indeed, some people are a tad out of their league here on "All Elvis."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

Matthew wrote:
Huh?

I was being sarcastic !!!

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

midnightx wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Freddy wasn't exactly a visionary now, was he?
The Complete Masters details this interesting piece of information that was new to me when I read it:

"Released just one year after his last studio album, "Pot Luck" was the product of a two-night Nashville session in March. All the songs were newly written save for the Leiber-Stoller catalog composition "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello", which Hill and Range rep Freddy Bienstock was so convinced was going to be a hit that it was saved for single release from the start".

It goes onto say about the "She's Not You"/"Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" single (listed as charting at 5/55 on the Billboard chart)...

"Freddy Bienstock was proved wrong. "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello", for all its good qualities, was not the hit he was certain it would be. Instead, "She's Not You", the new Leiber-Stoller-Pomus composition, performed surprisingly well as an uncharectistically pensive A-side selling 800,000 copies and underscoring Elvis' sense of himself in this new interpretive role".

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

The story is recounted in Jorgensen's Elvis Presley: A Life in Music, but reads better here.

The line about "She's Not You" being "an uncharacteristically pensive A-side" is terrific.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Last edited by Juan Luis on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

"She's not you" has the distinction for me of being one of only a handfull of songs that I heard for the first time on radio.

It got me from the first line. It's a catchy tune.
Easy to play rhythm for on the guitar. Key of G, if anyone needs to know.
It's a basic 4 chord number that is something ELvis could do in his sleep.

It is one of those songs I wished Elvis had tried after 1970 in his concerts over the usual set list.
It would have been a nice change of pace.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

ekenee wrote:Easy to play rhythm for on the guitar. Key of G, if anyone needs to know.
It's a basic 4 chord number ...
Elvis' 1962 recording of "She's Not You" is in the key of E major, and is actually more than a "basic 4 chord number." The bridge is a bit more complex than that.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Easy to play rhythm for on the guitar. Key of G, if anyone needs to know.
It's a basic 4 chord number ...
Elvis' 1962 recording of "She's Not You" is in the key of E major, and is actually more than a "basic 4 chord number." The bridge is a bit more complex than that.

I like to play it in G, but Elvis is doing it in F. It's not in E major.

The bridge is a bit more complex, but its still a fairly simple song. Perhaps a 5 chord song. 4 , if you cheat.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

ekenee wrote:I like to play it in G, but Elvis is doing it in F.
You need to get the pitch of your turntable adjusted.

When you do, you'll hear Elvis singing the song in the key of E major.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:I like to play it in G, but Elvis is doing it in F.
You need to get the pitch of your turntable adjusted.

When you do, you'll hear Elvis singing the song in the key of E major.

You need to get new hearing aid batteries because there is no way this song is sung in E major.

Someone else with music knowledge please step in and school the doctor.

Elvis is singing it in F.