Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:26 am

The year of 1962 was not unkind to our hero.

"She's Not You" was a #5 US hit and a #1 UK single that summer:


Image

Billboard - July 28, 1962


With "She's Not You" we have Elvis taking the Patsy Cline route, the Pomus, Leiber and Stoller song a direct echo of Patsy's recent hit, "She's Got You" (1962 Pop #14, Country #1), and the previous year's "I Fall To Pieces" (1961 Pop #12, Country #1).


Image

Billboard - January 20, 1962


Image

Billboard - January 20, 1962


Presley would later consider adding "She's Not You" to his show in 1973 and 1974, rehearsing it in both Los Angeles (August 1974) and Las Vegas (August 1973).

But it never made his set list.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:47 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do we have audio evidence of that rehearsal? I've always liked that song

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:But it never made his set list.

That's a shame. It's a beautiful song. Would have been interesting to hear what our man would have done with it. Cline's version is difficult, if not impossible to beat.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 am

Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:But it never made his set list.

That's a shame. It's a beautiful song. Would have been interesting to hear what our man would have done with it. Cline's version is difficult, if not impossible to beat.

Bear in mind, we're talking about two different songs.

The one Elvis was going to revive in 1973-74 was his 1962 single, not hers.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Bear in mind, we're talking about two different songs.

The one Elvis was going to revive in 1973-74 was his 1962 single, not hers.

Oops! :oops: Sorry, my last work night of the week, so my brain is slightly comatosed.... Still would have been nice if he had tried out the Cline song. :wink:

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:25 am

I'm not a huge fan of She's Not You, but it would have been interesting to hear it live (although His Latest Flame from the same era would have been even more enticing).

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:31 pm

A little off topic here, but "Strange" was a really good performance by Patsy Cline.

I really enjoy the trade ads--Thanks, Doc!

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Nice post,Doc. Elvis's 1962 master of "She's Not You" is an absolute masterpiece, IMO. From the gentle saxophone hum, to the ghostly background vocals that punctuate the verses, to Elvis's subtle tremolo when he sings "and when we're dancing, it almost feels the same", everything in this track comes off with a palpable magic that is enough to give an attentive listener goosebumps each time it is played.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:46 pm

It's classic Elvis pop. It's not the best song in the world, but Elvis makes it as good as it possibly can be, injecting that magic. Always enjoyed this track - I don't think any 1970's rendition would've been worthy. Just can't see it working to be honest. Would have been cool to hear though - I may be wrong.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:48 pm

The only other Pomus, Leiber and Stoller composition that I am aware of is "Youngblood."

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:26 pm

Mike C wrote:The only other Pomus, Leiber and Stoller composition that I am aware of is "Youngblood."


That is correct.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:42 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Nice post,Doc. Elvis's 1962 master of "She's Not You" is an absolute masterpiece, IMO. From the gentle saxophone hum, to the ghostly background vocals that punctuate the verses, to Elvis's subtle tremolo when he sings "and when we're dancing, it almost feels the same", everything in this track comes off with a palpable magic that is enough to give an attentive listener goosebumps each time it is played.


Very nicely put and so true!

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:43 pm

classic song by elvis has always been one of my favs.great song by pasty,dean martin also does a great version of the patsy classic

phpBB [video]

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:59 pm

"She's GOT You":

Love that song. Love her voice. Not really a song to cheer up though.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:13 am

Jamie Aaron Kelley did a great version of this song on one of his CDs called "Unfinished Business". He was doing songs that Elvis was going to record but never did. Jamie nailed it.

Mitch

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:34 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Nice post,Doc. Elvis's 1962 master of "She's Not You" is an absolute masterpiece, IMO. From the gentle saxophone hum, to the ghostly background vocals that punctuate the verses, to Elvis's subtle tremolo when he sings "and when we're dancing, it almost feels the same", everything in this track comes off with a palpable magic that is enough to give an attentive listener goosebumps each time it is played.


I hear the nail being hit firmly on the head.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:37 am

rocknroller wrote:classic song by elvis has always been one of my favs.great song by pasty,dean martin also does a great version of the patsy classic

phpBB [video]



I love the Happiness Is Dean Martin album!!!

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:03 pm

I love Dean Martin but She's Got You is a bland cover by him with none of the pathos of Patsy's great record. I laughed at how poor his record is.

She's Not You/Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello was my first Elvis single and I love both songs to this day. Both songs are helped immeasurably by Elvis' wonderful, wonderful vocals.

Doc, thanks for the Biiboard ads. Always great to see them.

Steve L.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:28 pm

stevelecher wrote:She's Not You/Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello was my first Elvis single and I love both songs to this day. Both songs are helped immeasurably by Elvis' wonderful, wonderful vocals.

Absoultely agree, although the B-side is almost beyond belief.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:48 pm

RCA Ad...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:She's Not You/Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello was my first Elvis single and I love both songs to this day. Both songs are helped immeasurably by Elvis' wonderful, wonderful vocals.

Absoultely agree, although the B-side is almost beyond belief.


I often wondered what would have happend had RCA put Suspicion on the back side..you might have had another His Latest Flame/Little Sister scenario.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:She's Not You/Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello was my first Elvis single and I love both songs to this day. Both songs are helped immeasurably by Elvis' wonderful, wonderful vocals.

Absoultely agree, although the B-side is almost beyond belief.


How do you mean, beyond belief?

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:02 pm

I think it's possible Suspicion would have become the A side. Jim Said Hello did get airplay in 1962 and is not an unknown song, however.

Doc: What do you mean the B side is almost beyond belief? It's one of my faves, though I know it's not one of yours.

Steve L.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:21 pm

It is beyond belief that the guy who had cut tracks for RCA like "Hound Dog" (1956), "One Night" (1957), "Reconsider Baby" (1960)" or "Little Sister" (1961), to name just four, would choose to sing and record a song as inauthentic and wimpy as "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello."

That this was a studio session and it still slipped through -- or was embraced -- was a sign of very bad things to come.

Re: "She's Not You" <--> "She's Got You" ... Both In 1962!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is beyond belief that the guy who had cut tracks for RCA like "Hound Dog" (1956), "One Night" (1957), "Reconsider Baby" (1960)" or "Little Sister" (1961), to name just four, would choose to sing and record a song as inauthentic and wimpy as "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello."

That this was a studio session and it still slipped through -- or was embraced -- was a sign of very bad things to come.

Well said. I have always been baffled that Elvis recorded fluff like "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" during this prolific period. Yes, it sadly was a sign of things to come.