... and the BEST about the SONY BOX is ...

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Re: ... and the BEST about the SONY BOX is ...

Post by Good Time Charlie »

The SUN version of "When It Rains, It Really Pours" sounds incredible. The only other version I have is from the 50's Masters set and this one blows it out the water. Almost certainly a new source.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

minel wrote:Luckyjacson: I´ve enjoyed your posts and your keen eye to details. I suppose you are
listening to headphones? I´ve been listening through a pair of good (German :D) speakers driven by two poweramplifiers and missed most of the mistakes you have noticed. It sounds so good to me that it´s hard to notice small mistakes.
minel, if I tell you how I listen to them, most audiophiles would try to skin me alive...
All I can say is I'm using the probably cheapest Sennheiser Headphones (HD 435) with too much bass for my taste but the overall sound is quite good.
I've been told all of my life that my hearing is actually pretty good (except in school all the teachers said that I was hard of hearing :mrgreen: ).
Good Time Charlie wrote:The SUN version of "When It Rains, It Really Pours" sounds incredible.
Yes, it does. But I prefer the '57 version... :D

Oh, and Robt: it's not actually an review, just some observations on randomly picked songs. I don't have the patience and the power to go straight through Disc after Disc.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Mike C
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Mike C »

Mike C wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:
Mike C wrote:Did anyone notice a slight pop or dropout about 4-5 seconds into "Golden Coins"? This could be where the original splice occurred.
Mike, it's there. After four seconds. But I'm not sure if it had been spliced there. Could be a tape drop-out.
Okay, thanks for confirming. It is something that jumped out of at me when I listened to the disc. Porbbaly tape drop out. I'll have to check my Harum Scarum FTD to see if it is also there.
The same tape flaw is also found on the Harum Scarum FTD, though it is slightly less audible.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

The Clipped Promised Land is also on Elvis 75 Good Rockin' Tonight. The BEST Promised Land version is on 2nd To None.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

skatterbrane wrote:The Clipped Promised Land is also on Elvis 75 Good Rockin' Tonight.
No, this is not correct. Promised Land on Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight has its full intro intact.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

Matthew wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:The Clipped Promised Land is also on Elvis 75 Good Rockin' Tonight.
No, this is not correct. Promised Land on Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight has its full intro intact.
It does on my copy as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by karlos »

Great Thread - Ty lucky jackson - very informative and a great post - Very enjoyable to read such info - Ty Buddy 8) ::rocks

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Hi Karlos, thank you for your kinds words - you're very welcome!

I was really surprised that somebody dug out this old thread.

Anyway, on my copy of "Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight", the intro to "Promised Land" is also fully intact.

If I go through the whole topic, it's quite interesting to see what happened during these two years.

For a little company
There's always me

dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by dennyelvis »

Matthew wrote:
Yes the corrected it for the GRT SET, shouldnt have happened at all of course ..........

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

dennyelvis wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Yes the corrected it for the GRT SET, shouldnt have happened at all of course ..........
Old news now.

dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by dennyelvis »

Very old, surprised we're still on it ?

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

The 1970 Nashville sessions sound GREAT! But I prefer the FTD Elvis Is Back. One thing missing on the Asesini master of Are You Lonesome Tonight is the random super low rumbling that used to make my cheap phonograph skip, so that I exchanged Elvis Golden Records Vol 3. 7 or 8 times before I gave up. Later in life when I got a highend system with a decent $5,000 turntable, I could finally HEAR the rumble that made my cheapo record player skip 3 or 4 times through Are You Lonesome Tonight.

I miss hearing the rumble--it is stll there, but much attenuated compared to the FTD master.

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Another discovery I just made (probably I already did but can't remember):

The intro to "Only Believe" is faded in on the CM set (also on "I Believe - The Complete Gospel Masters"). It is, however, intact on the "Love Letters From Elvis" FTD. :?

For a little company
There's always me

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by karlos »

luckyjackson1 wrote:Hi Karlos, thank you for your kinds words - you're very welcome!

I was really surprised that somebody dug out this old thread.

Anyway, on my copy of "Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight", the intro to "Promised Land" is also fully intact.

If I go through the whole topic, it's quite interesting to see what happened during these two years.

yvw lucky jackson enjoy ya week -tc bud - ::rocks :smt006