Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
KiwiAlan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Complete Masters Book Content

Post by KiwiAlan »

How does The Complete Masters Book compare to A Life In Music.

Is there any new information not contained in Day By Day and Tunzi?

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Frankie Teardrop
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Complete Masters Book Content

Post by Frankie Teardrop »

I haven't noticed any new info thus far. Its worth is primarily as a beautiful, illustrated companion to the box set, exactly what it was designed to be.

"Computers may outthink us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are"
- Quote sometimes attributed to Elvis Presley

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years

Post by elvissessions »

Hmmm ... what do we mean by "information"?

New data? new insight? New comments?

Topic author
KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

elvissessions wrote:Hmmm ... what do we mean by "information"?

New data? new insight? New comments?

More in the line of new dates nad facts rather than comments and thoughts

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years

Post by elvissessions »

Well, yeah, I do some refinement in the dates, for sure.

Some of the approximations are approximated more narrowly, things once guessed at for a couple of months, now moved to a specific month. Things that were marked for a month, sometimes now home in on a particular week.

I Forgot to Remember to Forget, Mystery Train and Trying to Get to You have moved 10 days later since Life in Music published.

That kind of stuff. Some things known from other sources published since then. Nothing so far that's completely shaken my perception of the space-time continuum, though.

I dunno, trying to go through it fairly systematically -- but slowly -- but it looks updated to me.

Mostly enjoying the commentary. No surprise with these guys, it's well-written and pretty sharp.

Topic author
KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Thanks. That's good news

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

Anything new about the SUN recording sessions apart from elvissessions' information?

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

New info on sales figures of albums and singles?

Iván

La voz del Rey

TONY

Post by TONY »

frus75 wrote:New info on sales figures of albums and singles?

I always find that stuff with figures quite boring and superflous. Of course sales figures will go up every day as SONY / BMG / RCA keep on rehashing / re-releasing Elvis' music in different guises etc.

Deke Rivers II
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Deke Rivers II »

What about Master Take numbers where previously unknown...or splice information?

Daryl
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Daryl »

Having looked through the book, to me the book is a giant annotated discography with comments on each single, album, extended play. I didn't expect the book to be a "sessions" book like "A Life In Music" or Tunzi's "Sessions" books. There's an essay at the beginning of the book by Guralnick, but once that's over, it goes directly into each release during Elvis lifetime, with tracklisting, artwork, how and if it charted, catalog #, and a commentary. Some of the commentary comes across as a retread from previous Jorgensen and Guralnick books. That's isn't neccesarily a bad thing. There are a number of photos of Elvis at, before, or after recording sessions. The final part of the book breaks down each CD track by track with songwriters credtits and where and when it was recorded along with a listing of main musicians. There are a number of great photos taken of various instruments from RCA Studio B, such as the piano that Elvis played "You'll Never Walk Alone" on and the celeste that David Briggs overdubbed onto "If Every Day Was Like Christmas." Could the book have been much more? Of course, why not. But I don't think that necessarily was the point of the book. I think the book more or less serves for those fans who bought the box set as a point of reference as to how and where these recordings were originally released. I think it's a shame that FTD didn't have their website up and about where a link could have been provided for those who bought the set but still don't know much about FTD. A lost opportunity. I also think since there were a number of tracks on the set that first appeared on a number of major mainstream releases such as box sets, the artwork for these box sets should have been documented as well.

Daryl

3DS Friend Code 0387-8874-3735

Coming Soon --> ELVIS SESSIONS IV