What number is your Sony Box Set?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mitch
Registered for: 21 years

Re: What number is your Sony Box Set?

Post by Mitch »

Lover Doll wrote:Some poor guy on the Insiders just posted that UPS delivered his package to the wrong house, the web page says it was delivered to his front door, his wife stayed home all day to receive the package, it never came, not to his house. And to top it off UPS says they can do nothing until the sender of the package files a complaint!!! :roll: I feel so bad for this guy.
UPS does this alot! I have had this happen 3 times with UPS. I was lucky with two of them, the people were honest and brought them to me. The other time I contacted UPS and they said the driver left the package on my front porch. I told the guy well that's strange, I DON'T HAVE A FRONT PORCH!!!!

Hope my two sets show up!! I'm getting worried! :(

Mitch

chefguy45
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by chefguy45 »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:My surname starts with "W" and I got number 448. Is it possible that the numbers were assigned in alphabetical order?
I don't think so, MT, as mine starts with "S" and I got number 179 (although I ordered it on the very first day).

I don't believe that so many people with S, T, U & V ordered their sets.

Is it possibly random?
I got 330

iplayastrat
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by iplayastrat »

chefguy45 wrote: I got 330

I got a rock.

My escape from society continues...

Phil
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Phil »

The same for me.

On the UPS site it's writen Delivered on thursday but nothing has appeared yet.

I really begin to be crazy now. (I'm already almost but now it will be completely)

Phil

TONY

Post by TONY »

MysteryTrain wrote:Just got mine at noon today. Mine is number 448. I quickly burned CD 27 and listened to it in my car on the way back to work. The sound is fantastic. I am quite familiar with most of these alternates/outtakes and they never sounded so good. Of particular note is "One Broken Heart for Sale" take 1. It always sounded "thin" to me, but here it seems so full -- more like the master, but with the alternate verse. Elvis is upfront and not drowned out by the Mello Men as on parts of the master. "I'm A Roustabout" sounds better than before to my ears. The outtakes that we've only had on FTD sound much better, making me think FTD doesn't get first generation tapes. Some examples where the sound is superior here is "King Creole" alternate take and "Lover Doll" overdubbed (not a noisy as on FTD).

MT
How can you tell all of this by listening in a noisy car with passing traffic etc. Can someone please do comparisons to all the old versions by listening at home on a proper sound system before making comparisons.

TONY

Post by TONY »

[quote="clp1093hmv"]With an exchange rate of 1.55USD = £1GBP. My total cost was a shade over £608. Pretty good.quote]

Yes, a bargain at around £20 per disc! I buy my blank, recordable discs at around 40p each these days, so each one probably costs around 20p to manufacture. This set is a transparent money spinner and it won't end here. And i feel sorry for the poeple who bought the Franklin Mint set thinking that was the ultimate box set.
Last edited by TONY on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TONY

Post by TONY »

[quote="Justintoelvis"]My set number is 336/1000!

I started to burn my CD's into my itunes about 1:35am. Right now it's 2:53am and I am on disc 9. Disc One sounds awesome. When I played "I'm Counting On You" and "I Was The One", I felt like Elvis was recording that song right here in my living room. quote]

So do these differ to the recent releases of these songs on the "Elvis Presley" FTD release?

TONY

Post by TONY »

draig goch wrote:Only had time to play disc 1,and the track for me which really stands out is mystery train,i've been listening to this track for the past 40 years and it has never sounded better than on this set!

So does this differ in any way to the release of this song on "Elvis at Sun" from a few years back?

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

TONY wrote:How can you tell all of this by listening in a noisy car with passing traffic etc. Can someone please do comparisons to all the old versions by listening at home on a proper sound system before making comparisons.
TONY, would you please quit bitchin' around? Now that was really one stupid remark.
I'm quite sure Mystery Train knows what he hears...
TONY wrote:Yes, a bargain at around £20 per disc! I buy my blank, recordable discs at around 40p each these days, so each one probably costs around 20p to manufacture. This set is a blatant, transparent money spinner and it won't end here.
I wonder how much more you're going to write this on the messageboard? I think you already made your statement clear at least five times!!! Go borrow the set from your uncle or whatever and make your g***amned copies!

And by the way: I'm really upset right now because I listened to some songs on the "Rarities" discs (28-30), and what I heard so far, sounds crappy to me.

Especially the SUN demos have a pretty (deleted - see guideline #2) sound quality, no-noised and clipped to death (especially on the louder tones of "My Happiness").

“Tweedle Dee” sounds inferior, worse than before! To my ears it even sounded better on the 50’s box... :roll:

Did they make it sound worse here because it has to sound better on the upcoming SUN Project, so we will be kinda forced to buy that one too?

Sorry, I'm just furious right now. Let me calm down and come back again.

Sorry for bitchin'. It's just my opinion. And I don't say this just because I'm aware that Lene "mastered" them.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Good Time Charlie
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by Good Time Charlie »

TONY wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:Just got mine at noon today. Mine is number 448. I quickly burned CD 27 and listened to it in my car on the way back to work. The sound is fantastic. I am quite familiar with most of these alternates/outtakes and they never sounded so good. Of particular note is "One Broken Heart for Sale" take 1. It always sounded "thin" to me, but here it seems so full -- more like the master, but with the alternate verse. Elvis is upfront and not drowned out by the Mello Men as on parts of the master. "I'm A Roustabout" sounds better than before to my ears. The outtakes that we've only had on FTD sound much better, making me think FTD doesn't get first generation tapes. Some examples where the sound is superior here is "King Creole" alternate take and "Lover Doll" overdubbed (not a noisy as on FTD).

MT
How can you tell all of this by listening in a noisy car with passing traffic etc. Can someone please do comparisons to all the old versions by listening at home on a proper sound system before making comparisons.
Shut up you igorant imbecile. Some people's rudeness on this board is simply intolerable.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

TONY wrote:So does this differ in any way to the release of this song on "Elvis at Sun" from a few years back?
Just like I wrote before, to me the splicing on the end sounds better (now you can't really tell anymore that the ending was taken from a different source) and the overall sound quality is also improved.

For a little company
There's always me

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Good Time Charlie wrote:Shut up you igorant imbecile. Some people's rudeness on this board is simply intolerable.
Well spoken!!

For a little company
There's always me

TONY

Post by TONY »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
TONY wrote:How can you tell all of this by listening in a noisy car with passing traffic etc. Can someone please do comparisons to all the old versions by listening at home on a proper sound system before making comparisons.
TONY, would you please quit bitchin' around? Now that was really one stupid remark.
I'm quite sure Mystery Train knows what he hears...
TONY wrote:Yes, a bargain at around £20 per disc! I buy my blank, recordable discs at around 40p each these days, so each one probably costs around 20p to manufacture. This set is a blatant, transparent money spinner and it won't end here.
I wonder how much more you're going to write this on the messageboard? I think you already made your statement clear at least five times!!! Go borrow the set from your uncle or whatever and make your g***amned copies!

what I heard so far, sounds crappy to me.

Especially the SUN demos have a pretty (deleted - see guideline #2) sound quality, no-noised and clipped to death (especially on the louder tones of "My Happiness").

“Tweedle Dee” sounds inferior, worse than before! To my ears it even sounded better on the 50’s box... :roll:

Did they make it sound worse here because it has to sound better on the upcoming SUN Project, so we will be kinda forced to buy that one too?

Sorry for bitchin'. It's just my opinion. And I don't say this just because I'm aware that Lene "mastered" them.
I don't need to 'borrow' the set as I already have all the material on it. And I'm sad to hear that some of the material sounds worse than before, that was one thing I was afraid of when forking out such a premium.

TONY

Post by TONY »

[quote="Good Time Charlie
Shut up you igorant imbecile. Some people's rudeness on this board is simply intolerable.[/quote]

Ha ha, that's irony. No rudeness was intended, it's just that I have bought CD's in the past due to the fact that someone on here has said they sound better than all the previous releases of the same material, only to find they weren't any better at all and I wasted more money. I prefer fans to make comparisons of the sound in home conditions on a good system or on headphones as I do, therefore these mistakes of judgement will not be made. I actually had to buy FTD's "Showtime" to judge the sound quality for myself, as some people said the sound was better and some said it was worse than all the previous bootleg issues of these concerts.

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

TONY wrote:Ha ha, that's irony. No rudeness was intended, it's just that I have bought CD's in the past due to the fact that someone on here has said they sound better than all the previous releases of the same material, only to find they weren't any better at all and I wasted more money
I guess that happened to most of the Elvis collectors in the past - AT LEAST ONCE!! :(
TONY wrote:I actually had to buy FTD's "Showtime" to judge the sound quality for myself, as some people said the sound was better and some said it was worse than all the previous bootleg issues of these concerts.
And what was your conclusion on that one?

I already wrote down some comments for certain songs, which I will post later on. My wife's going to strangle me if I spend more time on the messageboard during the weekend - funny, although she loves Elvis and even allowed me to buy the box, she seems jealous at the Box set... are there any more cases like that here? :wink:

Oh, Kylan, what was the number of YOUR box set again? :mrgreen:

For a little company
There's always me

minel
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by minel »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
And by the way: I'm really upset right now because I listened to some songs on the "Rarities" discs (28-30), and what I heard so far, sounds crappy to me.

I´m sorry to hear that. I was hoping the rarities had the same mastering treatment as the rest. I am only on disc 6 and so far i am pleased with the sound.
I have taken all the CD:s out and put them in plastic sleeves. It´s a vast improvement.

Unfortunatly there are severe creases on three pages in the book. Clearly a manufacturing error.
I´ve contacted Sony about it. It will be interesting to see how they deal with it.
If they jerk me around I go over the bridge to Denmark and have a face to face talk to Ernst. :D

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
TONY wrote:Ha ha, that's irony. No rudeness was intended, it's just that I have bought CD's in the past due to the fact that someone on here has said they sound better than all the previous releases of the same material, only to find they weren't any better at all and I wasted more money
I guess that happened to most of the Elvis collectors in the past - AT LEAST ONCE!! :(
TONY wrote:I actually had to buy FTD's "Showtime" to judge the sound quality for myself, as some people said the sound was better and some said it was worse than all the previous bootleg issues of these concerts.
And what was your conclusion on that one?

I already wrote down some comments for certain songs, which I will post later on. My wife's going to strangle me if I spend more time on the messageboard during the weekend - funny, although she loves Elvis and even allowed me to buy the box, she seems jealous at the Box set... are there any more cases like that here? :wink:

Oh, Kylan, what was the number of YOUR box set again? :mrgreen:

im not telling! ur starting to really piss me off! ur sounding like a Tony in disguise!! lol hmmmm nahh i cant remember.. i dont care about the numbers... 600 something! hahaha 682 i think.. its in the other room! and so far, ive listened to the first 2 discs and they blow me away.. listening on my car system is a revelation, u really can tell a diff.

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

minel wrote:Unfortunatly there are severe creases on three pages in the book. Clearly a manufacturing error.
I´ve contacted Sony about it. It will be interesting to see how they deal with it.
If they jerk me around I go over the bridge to Denmark and have a face to face talk to Ernst. :D
Sorry to hear that, minel. Hope they solve the problem somehow.

Go ahead and give him a piece of your mind! :mrgreen:

For a little company
There's always me

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Kylan wrote:im not telling! ur starting to really piss me off! ur sounding like a Tony in disguise!! lol hmmmm nahh i cant remember.. i dont care about the numbers... 600 something! hahaha 682 i think.. its in the other room! and so far, ive listened to the first 2 discs and they blow me away.. listening on my car system is a revelation, u really can tell a diff.
"You're the devil in disguise, oh yes you are..." :mrgreen:

Well, maybe I am! - I also don't like the mix of "Reconsider Baby" on the "Fool"-FTD (I'm not really sure if I mentioned this before)... :smt002

You know what? Somebody had to start the whining and complaining so I figured it's my turn... :wink:

"When it's my time for teeeears and for triaaaaaaaaaaaaaals..."

For a little company
There's always me

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

yah well now im with ya there.. the RB mix sounds terrible but for historical purposes i guess its ok.

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvissessions »

Lucky -- or not so lucky -- we'll get into all the sound quality debate elsewhere, but I just can't believe the run of bad luck you've been having on your set.

I've been over my set with a fine-tooth comb and been through all the pages of the book, and I feel fortunate that I can find no problems at all.

I'm also happy others haven't been reporting problems.

It seems as if you just got the runt of the litter or something, with the creased pages and whatnot.

Sorry to hear it, man.
Last edited by elvissessions on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

elvissessions wrote:Lucky -- or not so lucky -- we'll get into all the sond quality debate elsewhere, but I just can't believe the run of bad luck you've been having on your set.

I've been over my set with a fine-tooth comb and been through all the pages of the book, and I feel fortunate that I can find no problems at all.

I'm also happy others haven't been reporting problems.

It seems as if you just got the runt of the litter or something, with the creased pages and whatnot.

Sorry to hear it, man.
Hi elvissessions, thanks for your support. Maybe I'm really a nitpicker and some people just don't exaggerate it the way I do.

Our member 'minel' wrote that he has "severe creases on three pages in the book". I fear there are some more issues to come... :roll:

I certainly hope, this won't be the case.

"Hard luck, the hardest kinda luck there can be..." :smt002

For a little company
There's always me

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

luckyjackson1 wrote:O.k. folks, I just rushed through the book twice and dug out all of the CD's (Man, it was really hard for me to get CD 15 and 30 out!).

Some bad news:
Discs 28 - 30 mastered by LENE REIDEL

Those "damages" are on my set:
Slightly knocked box:
[img]BOX_1.JPG[/img]
Yeah, I also have a slightly dented box on the top left corner on spine as you look at it on the shelf. Kind of bummed. :( It could be from UPS but I don't know how given the foam packing. Not sure how Sony could rectify the problem?

My number is 371.
Last edited by Mike C on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

GregCieslik wrote:Just got mine - number 0096.
I looked through the pakcage - it is top notch quality. One thing I would like to point out is that why did they not also include the front AND back picture of all the singles and LPs in the book. There is enough of space. It seems that all books always focus on the front covers, and the back sleeves are always forgotten.
Dude, I would have loved to have gotten such a low number!

Elvis as Danny Fisher

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:My surname starts with "W" and I got number 448. Is it possible that the numbers were assigned in alphabetical order?
I don't think so, MT, as mine starts with "S" and I got number 179 (although I ordered it on the very first day).

I don't believe that so many people with S, T, U & V ordered their sets.

Is it possibly random?
I think its random. My surname starts with C and I got 371.

Elvis as Danny Fisher