Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What is Elvis' Best Opening Show 1969-1977 on CD ?

1. Opening Night February 1970 (Madison) (SB) 26/1/70
32%
2. One Night In Vegas (FTD) (MT) 10/8/70
25%
3. Opening Night 1971 (Flaming Phoenix) (SB) 26/1/71
2%
4. The Talk Of The Town (Audionics/2001) (SB) 26/1/72
6%
5. No Fooling Around (Ampex) (AR) 4/8/72
2%
6. At The Top Of The Game (Memory) (AR) 22/4/73
No votes
7. Raised On Vegas (Memory) (AR) 6/8/73
3%
8. Something Old, Something New (Memory) (AR) 26/1/74
No votes
9. The Man In White vol. 1 (Lone Star) (SB) 15/6/74
No votes
10. Nevada Nights cd1 (FTD) (SB) 19/8/74
18%
11. Chaos In College Park (Straight Arrow) (AR) 27/9/74
3%
12. We'll Make You Happy cd1 (Savoy) (SB) 24/4/75
1%
13. Las Vegas In Gypsy Style (Memory) (AR) 18/8/75
1%
14. Season's Greetings From Vegas (Sundial Prod.) (AR) 2/12/75
No votes
15. Springtime Tours cd1 (Audionics) (SB) 17/3/76
3%
16. Chicago Beat (Live Archives or FTD cd1) (SB) 14/10/76
3%
17. The Last Vegas Opening Night (Straight Arrow) (AR) 2/12/76
2%

Total votes : 115

The Best Elvis Opening Show on CD 1969-1977 --> VOTE NOW !

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:24 pm

These Opening and Closing Shows of Elvis have always intrigued me to a great extent. They could be everything: superb, mediocre, rockin', heartbreaking, but very often surprising!

This poll includes his shows in Vegas, Tahoe, On Tour, official and non-official as well as "semi-official" releases from 1969-1977. :wink: But they all have to be available on silver cd. I could have missed a few, please forgive me for that. Not all selections feature complete shows!

I wanted to include the best closing shows too, but since I then have +/- 35 options, and this poll is limited to 18, I needed to break it up into two topics, so keep your eyes open towards the follow-up one (Closing Shows), depending on the outcome of this one and my own energy (touch of the flu). :)

But first let's get started with what you deem to be the best Opening Show ?

MT= multitrack recording
SB= soundboard recording
AR= audience recording

What I consider the best and/or more complete source is what's listed of each show. You're allowed to re-vote and you have two options.

I dedicate this poll to Rob, may he recover soon and rejoin us here. ::rocks

Re: The Best Elvis Opening Show on CD 1969-1977 --> VOTE NOW

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:37 pm

It is One Night in Vegas (1970) for me, although I really like the opening show on Nevada Nights (1974): a shame the audience responded so poorly...

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:38 pm

26.1.74 is a bit tricky...at this date Frankie Boy Sinatra opened at Ceasar`s Palace..this meant a lot of press and celebrities there, too..so to get no conflicts... the 26.1.date.. a Sat... was used as a usual day with a DS and a MS..the official Opening was on Sun Janurary 27th with the typical 10 PM only Opening Show.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:42 pm

Jan 1970 is the winner for me. I also love the Jan 1972 opener which is more cabaret but still enjoyable.

The 1976 opener is great from 1976 but that's all. Entertaining stuff!

Aug 74 is obviously very interesting if not all that great in reality.

What we have of opening night Jan 1971 is also superb stuff.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:48 pm

January 1970 (the poll is wrongly dated.. :lol: ..)..without any doubt...!

::rocks

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Ciscoking wrote:January 1970 (the poll is wrongly dated.. :lol: ..)..without any doubt...!

::rocks

Yes you're right Cisco, I mixed the Closing and Opening Nights up! On the Closing Night 1970 it says "February 1970". Sorry! I can't change the poll however, since it will probably delete the votes thusfar..

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Opening Night February 1970 is probably the best performance. One Night In Vegas is the best in terms of sound quality.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Sorry for being a little picky but this topic is a little strange to me as it asks for the best opening show from 1969 to ...
Well, don't we wish to be able to listen to the July 31, 1969 opening night show at the International one day?
Unfortunately we cannot vote for it at all as we do not know it and as it is - probably for that particular reason - not listed in the poll.

Anyway, to me the most intriguing opening shows are August 6, 1973, actually a great Disco-Zarathustra-opening, rare songs and a cool set list and August 19, 1974. Songwise this is the all time greatest and strangest opening show known to exist, however as one user already put it, the audience was polite but not overwhelmed and so Elvis went back to his regular set the next night already.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Only real silver-pressed cd's count, and we don't really know how good or bad the Opening Show in '69 really was, unless we are presented one day with the audio proof.
All we have to go by are the various witness accounts and incredible photographs as featured in great books like Ken Sharp's "Vegas '69". It wouldn't surprise me if the opening night musically wasn't that much different to the show featured on "The Return Of A Prodigy", the earliest soundboard recorded show of that engagement, except perhaps with an even more nervous and pumped-up Elvis. In fact, "Prodigy" could be even better, because he would have had a couple of shows practice by then, and usually that does an artist good.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:29 pm

James27 wrote:Only real silver-pressed cd's count, and we don't really know how good or bad the Opening Show in '69 really was, unless we are presented one day with the audio proof.
All we have to go by are the various witness accounts and incredible photographs as featured in great books like Ken Sharp's "Vegas '69". It wouldn't surprise me if the opening night musically wasn't that much different to the show featured on "The Return Of A Prodigy", the earliest soundboard recorded show of that engagement, except perhaps with an even more nervous and pumped-up Elvis. In fact, "Prodigy" could be even better, because he would have had a couple of shows practice by then, and usually that does an artist good.

Technically, one can't vote for the July 31, 1969 show based on your criteria, but considering it is probably pretty close to the 8/3/69 Return Of A Prodigy performance, it is safe to say that July 31, 1969 would beat out any opening night show.

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Sure, but different people seek different things in shows. As far as energy and healthiness, there can be no doubt he was on top during that opening night of '69. However, some might prefer the more mellowed down Elvis of later years who also brought different songs and a different mood to the table. Some like the imperfect Elvis better than the perfect one.

Also, since there is a 18 option limit to any poll, it is impossible to include the M.I.A. (on cd) shows and besides, it wouldn't be fair to the other M.I.A. opening shows if the Opening Show of '69 would be featured as an exception, while the others have to stand in the corner. :(

Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi again James,
here you have only 17 options, maybe you could add:
- Top acts in Vegas, Volume 5, which contains the March 18, 1975, Las Vegas, opening night show

Have a nice weekend,
Alfred.

James27 wrote:These Opening and Closing Shows of Elvis have always intrigued me to a great extent. They could be everything: superb, mediocre, rockin', heartbreaking, but very often surprising!

This poll includes his shows in Vegas, Tahoe, On Tour, official and non-official as well as "semi-official" releases from 1969-1977. :wink: But they all have to be available on silver cd. I could have missed a few, please forgive me for that. Not all selections feature complete shows!

I wanted to include the best closing shows too, but since I then have +/- 35 options, and this poll is limited to 18, I needed to break it up into two topics, so keep your eyes open towards the follow-up one (Closing Shows), depending on the outcome of this one and my own energy (touch of the flu). :)

MT= multitrack recording
SB= soundboard recording
AR= audience recording

What I consider the best and/or more complete source is what's listed of each show. You're allowed to re-vote and you have two options.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 am

Hi Alfredo, yes I could have indeed, it was an unfortunate oversight -probably because I have the flu and wanted this out there asap before I got too much of a headache- but I'm afraid changing this now would delete the poll results and/or the comments thusfar. I've had this happen before. Perhaps the moderator can shed a light on this ?

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:35 am

Voted for Opening night jan 1970 and Talk of the town jan 1972

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:48 am

Again, I voted for that January 1970 show.

It's hard not to love this engagement. Any shows that feature "In The Ghetto," Don't Cry Daddy," "Kentucky Rain," and "Let It Be Me" just have to be good.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:46 pm

To me it has to be 19th August 1974, mainly cause of the songs that Elvis sang and to my ears it was the first time i ever had heard down in the alley, good times charlie, but as a couple have said the audience didnt really like it so Elvis went back to the same routine next day. I would of been so happy to see him sing those songs and i would of made sure Elvis knew that i liked it and i think most ppl on here would of done. Yes 70 OPENING shows are very good but im stickin with 74 and if anyone does a closing thread i would say 3. Vegas sept 73, vegas sept 74 and tahoe may 76

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:03 am

I had to pick the two from 1970. They aren't the best shows of the gigs but there is so much to enjoy in that period. I do enjoy the 1-26-72 and the 8-19-74 a lot too. 7-31-69 and 1-26-71 are the two I really want to hear that we haven't. After all that Opening night cd from 1971 is a mish mosh.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 pm

James27 wrote:These Opening and Closing Shows of Elvis have always intrigued me to a great extent. They could be everything: superb, mediocre, rockin', heartbreaking, but very often surprising!

MT= multitrack recording
SB= soundboard recording
AR= audience recording

You forgot at least one, the January 26, 1973 OS (Back on the Mainland). Don’t know the label.

The best opening show is easily One Night in Vegas or the one from his second season. I think I would go for the former.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:20 pm

This is easy.
We all know Elvis blew everybody away in College Park.

You silly 1969 lovers.

Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 am

Since we do not have 7/31/69, I really like the 1/26/70, 8/10/70, and 8/19/74 opening shows.

rlj

Fri May 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Robert wrote:We all know Elvis blew everybody away in College Park.

The women kept screaming, although a few guys did go "He looks horrible, doesn't he?"

College Park - the first show - is maybe the first bad concert Elvis really ever had. I'm sure he had bad shows before Sept 27, 1974 - but this was the first time he hit the mic and he sang like he didn't want to be there. Even in 1977 he faked it with them bombastics and the booming voice and the bellowing - at College Park he barely could sing, and when he wasn't singing - he just kept flirting with the chicks in the audience - even during song intros. The man was lost in more ways than one that night.

Some people say this show wasn't that bad, but when you flirt and talk during song intros like you could care less - there're problems. Major ones. Some of his 1977 shows were actually better. It's a perspective thing . . .

Fri May 11, 2012 7:46 pm

"Best"? #1 is the only choice.

Fri May 11, 2012 7:52 pm

James27 wrote:I dedicate this poll to Rob, may he recover soon and rejoin us here.

I remember that day -- part of it anyway.

You rock.

Sat May 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Rob wrote:
James27 wrote:I dedicate this poll to Rob, may he recover soon and rejoin us here.

I remember that day -- part of it anyway.

You rock.

But you rocked first. 8)