Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XMAS

Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:03 am

The run up to Christmas has included stacks of Yuletide tunes being played both on the radio and my own playlist with Bob Dylan's excellent CHRISTMAS IN THE HEART & A CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR YOU ('The Phil Spector Christmas album') among my most played favourites. However, the honour of my all-time favourite Christmas album goes to, ELVIS sings THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF CHRISTMAS FTD 2-CD -->>

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419113088.961787.jpg



I love the bluesy laid-back vibe of the second disc and it sounds great while I'm in my kitchen cooking (his classic 1957 Christmas album is an obvious favourite too!)

So deck the halls and pour a big glass of wine and revel in Disc two > A bluesy, I'll Be Home On Christmas Day sets the scene before my favourite from the album - the gorgeous takes 2-3 of If I Get Home On Christmas Day. We get to hear the atmospheric guitar intro twice here. But that's not all, we get to hear it twice more with takes 5 & 7 included in the additional discs selections. I love this tune and 'E' obviously digged it too...

If I Get Home On Christmas Day take 1 (CD-1) -->> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPMolruT5v8

MORE > There's delicious organ on I'll Be Home On Christmas Day and take 3 includes the original verse, naming writer Michael Jarrett's children which the said songwriter was overjoyed at hearing when first released here.

What might have been: according to the FTD booklet, tapes were erased and recorded over, resulting in missing selections. Plus there were missing tapes, but nevertheless what we have is a wonderful FTD and a delicious Christmas experience - enjoy!


Have a cool Yule and join in > "тнe нolly ιѕ ѕo preттy тнιѕ year"

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:56 am

That's the spirit "amops"! Happy Christmas to you and the rest of you all in here! :D Ho ho...

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:08 am

I have to agree with you here. I love both LP's the '57 and '71, but "The Wonderful World Of Christmas" Is my first go to record. Even though "Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)" and "Blue Christmas" are the true Elvis Presley Christmas classics.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:46 am

I agree with you, polk... Listen to this often, even when it's not Christmas!!!

Christmas greetings!

rlj

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:35 am

Played some songs from this album last night to get in the mood for an early Christmas dinner. An excellent album! The FTD version makes it even better.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:33 am

promiseland wrote:I have to agree with you here. I love both LP's the '57 and '71, but "The Wonderful World Of Christmas" Is my first go to record. Even though "Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)" and "Blue Christmas" are the true Elvis Presley Christmas classics.


Totally agree promiseland. Played some tracks again from CD-2 this morning and a great vibe and just perfect for the run-up to Christmas. THANKS

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:25 pm

I love the album too! but my go-to version is on vinyl :) It still bugs me that Merry Christmas Baby is not the complete unedited version and that this has STILL NOT been corrected :( The so-called unedited version on disc 2 sounds really bad when it shift back and forth between the dubbed and undubbed version. Please correct this FTD :)

The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XMAS

Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Mike DK wrote:I love the album too! but my go-to version is on vinyl :) It still bugs me that Merry Christmas Baby is not the complete unedited version and that this has STILL NOT been corrected :( The so-called unedited version on disc 2 sounds really bad when it shift back and forth between the dubbed and undubbed version. Please correct this FTD :)


I agree about MCB hopefully FTD will correct it. Maybe the lost songs will be found someday? Looking through EBay there's loads of vinyl and an 8-track of the WWOC album, I may grab a vinyl version. Hope FTD release on vinyl too...
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2314039041 ... 108&ff19=0

Cheers

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:58 pm

I have a second US pressing of the album that I found for $5 :) It sounds stunning and much warmer and fuller than the FTD version (which is also good sounding).

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:01 pm

This is probably one of the worst album covers in the history of album covers!

Elvis' head in a drawing of a santa claus outfit on the bottom right is so degrading and hideous, that you have to laugh when you see it.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:10 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:This is probably one of the worst album covers in the history of album covers!

Elvis' head in a drawing of a santa claus outfit on the bottom right is so degrading and hideous, that you have to laugh when you see it.


How uncanny I just adore the cover. Funny thing is I never noticed Elvis' head on the Santa Claus outfits until recently.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Here's a Jap vinyl release from 1978 -->>
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419194228.809374.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:34 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:This is probably one of the worst album covers in the history of album covers!

Elvis' head in a drawing of a santa claus outfit on the bottom right is so degrading and hideous, that you have to laugh when you see it.


How uncanny I just adore the cover. Funny thing is I never noticed Elvis' head on the Santa Claus outfits until recently.


I'm with you Polk Salad. I've always liked the cover. The Christmas stockings, trees, snowflakes, etc,, immediately put me in a Christmas mood. I had the LP for quite awhile before I noticed Elvis as Santa Claus. Yes, I did laugh...in amusement. Degrading? One of one of the worst album covers in the history of album covers? Nahhhhhhhhh!

The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XMAS

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:43 am

JerryNodak wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:This is probably one of the worst album covers in the history of album covers!

Elvis' head in a drawing of a santa claus outfit on the bottom right is so degrading and hideous, that you have to laugh when you see it.


How uncanny I just adore the cover. Funny thing is I never noticed Elvis' head on the Santa Claus outfits until recently.


I'm with you Polk Salad. I've always liked the cover. The Christmas stockings, trees, snowflakes, etc,, immediately put me in a Christmas mood. I had the LP for quite awhile before I noticed Elvis as Santa Claus. Yes, I did laugh...in amusement. Degrading? One of one of the worst album covers in the history of album covers? Nahhhhhhhhh!


Love that album cover...!

When I noticed Elvis as Santa I laughed too

Cheers bud.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:37 am

This album cover, plus the Love Letters album cover in 1971, were pretty disconcerting in 1971. The albums themselves added to the uneasy feeling that things were not well in the Elvis realm.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:45 am

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Let's see. I was living in Minneapolis, MN, at the time attending Brown School of Broadcasting. I remember buying the Love Letters LP and finding it an enjoyable listen. Then I saw Elvis in concert on 11-5-71. A mind blowing experience. Then I received The Wonderful World Of Christmas as a Christmas gift. Really liked it (still do). Nope. I didn't have any disconcerting, uneasy feelings at the time. Later, yes.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:57 am

Yes, Jerry. There are at least three of us on this board who attended that November 5 concert in Minneapolis. That concert was awe inspiring and did much to alleviate the worries I had that Elvis wasn't singing well. I had the Christmas album before that concert.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:24 am

It's a rather ironic title for what has to be one of the most miserable Christmas albums ever released.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:19 am

Regarding the cover, I prefer the EU cover with the photo from The Trouble With Girls. That's the cover on my vinyl copy of the album. :)

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:13 am

JerryNodak wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmm. Let's see. I was living in Minneapolis, MN, at the time attending Brown School of Broadcasting. I remember buying the Love Letters LP and finding it an enjoyable listen. Then I saw Elvis in concert on 11-5-71. A mind blowing experience. Then I received The Wonderful World Of Christmas as a Christmas gift. Really liked it (still do). Nope. I didn't have any disconcerting, uneasy feelings at the time. Later, yes.


I felt exactly the same way Jerry. My first Elvis concert was a few days after yours, 11/8/71 in Philadelphia. Still listen to the Love Letters album and as I stated earlier, still love and listen to The Wonderful World of Christmas album. I thought the album cover was actually pretty creative!

rlj

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:22 am

poormadpeter wrote:It's a rather ironic title for what has to be one of the most miserable Christmas albums ever released.


Why?

It's laid back and bluesy...

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:38 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:This is probably one of the worst album covers in the history of album covers!

Elvis' head in a drawing of a santa claus outfit on the bottom right is so degrading and hideous, that you have to laugh when you see it.

This is one of the coolest covers on any LP in existence.

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:40 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It's a rather ironic title for what has to be one of the most miserable Christmas albums ever released.


Why?

It's laid back and bluesy...

Yes exactly!

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:43 pm

promiseland wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:This is probably one of the worst album covers in the history of album covers!

Elvis' head in a drawing of a santa claus outfit on the bottom right is so degrading and hideous, that you have to laugh when you see it.

This is one of the coolest covers on any LP in existence.


1

Re: The Holly Is So Pretty This Year > WONDERFUL WORLD OF XM

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:47 pm

promiseland wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It's a rather ironic title for what has to be one of the most miserable Christmas albums ever released.


Why?

It's laid back and bluesy...

Yes exactly!


I find it reflective, perhaps melancholic and wonderfully laid back and bluesy > qualities I love in Elvis' music and perfect for the build up to Christmas. I wouldn't class it as miserable in the slightest...