Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Beatles' opinion on Elvis comeback?

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:31 pm

In the wonderful Special Easter topic, the Beatles are quoted with regards to Elvis in '63.

Does any know how they experienced Elvis' studio recordings of '66/'67? Or the comeback? Or From Elvis in Memphis?

It's just curiosity.:)

Re: Beatles' opinion on Elvis comeback?

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:07 pm

This has been discussed a million times over the years.

Going by their comments I would guess the Beatles really didn't care for Elvis' material in the late 60s and 70s.

They were fans of his 50s stuff and they often praised that period but they don't speak of his later material.

Therefore I would say the Beatles weren't fans of it.

The End.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:33 pm

We know they were huge fans of his 50s stuff but not much said about his later works.

I'd say what didn't help getting their opinions was by Elvis not doing a tour right after the '68 Special and/or after the American Studio sessions. His return to public performing in '69 in Las Vegas didn't help either.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Who cares what they thought. :facep:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:47 pm

madg1974 wrote:In the wonderful Special Easter topic, the Beatles are quoted with regards to Elvis in '63.

Does any know how they experienced Elvis' studio recordings of '66/'67? Or the comeback? Or From Elvis in Memphis?

It's just curiosity.:)

Had "Singer Presents Elvis" aired in England in December 1968, there is no doubt every British rocker would have had their eyes glued to their TV screens, as virtually all of them loved Presley, and considered him a primary influence. But it did not get screened until more than a year after the fact:

12-31-1969: BBC2 The Fabulous Elvis 8:45 - 9:35 pm
02-04-1970: BBC1 The Fabulous Elvis 8:00 - 8:50 pm

In any case, the Beatles always cared and were always aware, especially John. Elvis was the reason they started to play music in the first place. Among other examples, there are interviews from this period where one talks about "U.S. Male" being a nice surprise, or name-checks a song like "Clean Up Your Own Backyard."

When U.K. journalist Ray Connolly returned to England in August 1969 after seeing and interviewing Elvis, it was John Lennon who quizzed him about the performance and set list: "How was the show? Did he do any of the Sun numbers? Did he play 'Mystery Train'?" Ringo caught Elvis at the International the last weekend in January 1970, George saw him at Madison Square Garden in June 1972.

At John's Madison Square Garden benefit shows in August 1972, he played "Hound Dog" as part of his encore and yelled out "Elvis, I love ya" during the song. At the March 1975 Grammy Awards, John is seen wearing a huge "ELVIS" pin.

Yoko and John at the Grammy Awards, Saturday, March 1, 1975 - New York
Note: huge "ELVIS" pin on John's lapel.

The Beatles loved Elvis very, very much. And he, them.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:53 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:Who cares what they thought. :facep:

I guess the person that started this topic cares(and the ones that answered so far). If you have nothing to say other than a put down or a dismissal of a group you dislike , please use some constraint. Back on topic, Lennon liked his Memphis '69 album ('even Elvis is sounding nice again') was a quote of his when asked about the current music scene in 1969.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:07 am

Im sure a 1970's John Lennon understood Elvis not carrying on doing the classic RnR songs then just as Lennon wasn't interested in singing early Beatles songs in concert.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:50 am

I'm sure all four of them have seen the special, especially John i would imagine...though there is no record of them commenting about the special but i'm sure they saw it when it was finally aired in England.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:12 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I'm sure all four of them have seen the special, especially John i would imagine...though there is no record of them commenting about the special but i'm sure they saw it when it was finally aired in England.

Not necessarily. The BBC2 range of broadcast was far more limited than BBC1, and not all of them were in England at the time.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 am

Bodie wrote:Im sure a 1970's John Lennon understood Elvis not carrying on doing the classic RnR songs then just as Lennon wasn't interested in singing early Beatles songs in concert.

John specifically chose to sing "I Saw Her Standing There" at Madison Square Garden in November 1974, which opened the Beatles classic 1963 debut LP, Please Please Me.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I'm sure all four of them have seen the special, especially John i would imagine...though there is no record of them commenting about the special but i'm sure they saw it when it was finally aired in England.

Not necessarily. The BBC2 range of broadcast was far more limited than BBC1, and not all of them were in England at the time.

Ok, eventually saw it then...

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 am

We need to start a little club, a sub section, lol :D :D :D (although I adore some lyrics and some of the orchestrated music).

:smt006

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 am

Considering their deep, deep love for Elvis, I'm certain they made every effort to see the show.

What is most baffling is their complete lack of public comments on the comeback of their idol. I would think they were thrilled to see him back!

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:28 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:
r&b wrote:

I guess the person that started this topic cares(and the ones that answered so far). If you have nothing to say other than a put down or a dismissal of a group you dislike , please use some constraint. Back on topic, Lennon liked his Memphis '69 album ('even Elvis is sounding nice again') was a quote of his when asked about the current music scene in 1969.

I have the right to my opinion just like you...so why don't you shut the hell up!!!

An opinion that addresses a topic is always welcome. One that tries to derail a topic, or offers nothing to it but controversy does not. The deep hatred and/or jealousy for the group is abundant on this forum as their success equaled or even eclipsed Elvis at one time and many fans can never accept that. It never leads to anything worthwhile and I will never shut the hell up. The content of your comment was obviously made to start controversy.
Last edited by r&b on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:30 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Considering their deep, deep love for Elvis, I'm certain they made every effort to see the show.

What is most baffling is their complete lack of public comments on the comeback of their idol. I would think they were thrilled to see him back!

Another thing, i'm surprised John and Paul didn't go to see him perform when they were in the states.
Last edited by mysterytrainrideson on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:35 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Considering their deep, deep love for Elvis, I'm certain they made every effort to see the show.

Notwithstanding the occasional mention thereafter, the Beatles, individually and collectively, were well and truly over Elvis, by the time of his comeback.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:40 am

As noted above, this is incorrect.

mike edwards66 wrote:Notwithstanding the occasional mention thereafter, the Beatles, individually and collectively, were well and truly over Elvis, by the time of his comeback.

As noted above, this is also incorrect.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:41 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I sure hope so! Elvis as captured in 1968 by the NBC-TV cameras is something precious and rare.

As we can all agree. ;-)

::rocks

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I sure hope so! Elvis as captured in 1968 by the NBC-TV cameras is something precious and rare.

As we can all agree. ;-)

::rocks

I think Lennon most certainly saw it. There is an interview where someone mentions the TV show to him and he acknowledges its a great show. I think it was you, Doc that posted the youtube video, the one where John comments on Elvis having his "b*****ks cut off"...

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:53 am

During his 1968 “Comeback” Special, Elvis made a rare public statement about The Beatles. “I really like a lot of the new groups—The Beatles, the Beards, and whatever,” he said. However, it was a statement he made to President Richard Nixon in December 1970 that unfortunately will always be remembered as his ultimate assessment of The Beatles. In an effort to convince the president to issue him a Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs badge, Elvis may have been saying what he thought Nixon wanted to hear. Nixon aide Bud Krogh as saying he heard Elvis tell Nixon that The Beatles were “kind of anti-American.” Paraphrasing Elvis’s comments, Krogh said Elvis then charged The Beatles with coming to the U.S. to make money and then went home and made “anti-American” remarks. That statement later prompted Ringo Starr to say in The Beatles Anthology documentary that Elvis had tried to get the group “banned” in America.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:Notwithstanding the occasional mention thereafter, the Beatles, individually and collectively, were well and truly over Elvis, by the time of his comeback.

Nah, they were over him. They had moved on, but occasionally they were called upon to be polite, and they obliged.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:23 am

The "Beatles and the Beards" comment has always made me wonder if he was reading off a cue card, which I imagine was "Beatles and the Byrds...whatever." (however in the hell you pronounce "Byrds.")

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:28 am

TCB-FAN wrote:During his 1968 “Comeback” Special, Elvis made a rare public statement about The Beatles. “I really like a lot of the new groups—The Beatles, the Beards, and whatever,” he said.

He made more than one public statement, and they were always positive. As for the "Beards," he's lazily referring to the Byrds, or making a little joke at the special's co-writer, Chris Bearde.

TCB-FAN wrote:However, it was a statement he made to President Richard Nixon in December 1970 that unfortunately will always be remembered as his ultimate assessment of The Beatles. In an effort to convince the president to issue him a Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs badge, Elvis may have been saying what he thought Nixon wanted to hear. Nixon aide Bud Krogh as saying he heard Elvis tell Nixon that The Beatles were “kind of anti-American.” Paraphrasing Elvis’s comments, Krogh said Elvis then charged The Beatles with coming to the U.S. to make money and then went home and made “anti-American” remarks. That statement later prompted Ringo Starr to say in The Beatles Anthology documentary that Elvis had tried to get the group “banned” in America.

A sad moment in the Elvis saga. All he wanted was that stupid BNDD badge, and was indeed saying anything he thought the president would want to hear.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:39 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nah, they were over him. They had moved on, but occasionally they were called upon to be polite, and they obliged.

Yes, John was obviously "over him" when he spoke to Ray Connolly in August 1969, sang "Blue Suede Shoes" on stage in Toronto a month later, yelled out to Elvis in the middle of his cover of "Hound Dog" in New York in 1972, when he wore that huge ELVIS pin at the 1975 Grammy Awards broadcast as a presenter, or when, in November 1980, he asked critic Robert Hilburn if he'd heard Donna Summer's "Elvis" reference in the middle of her new single, "The Wanderer."

John Lennon raced into Yoko Ono's home office in the mammoth old Dakota building with a copy of Donna Summer's new single, "The Wanderer." "Listen!" he shouted to us as he put the 45 on the record player. "She's doing Elvis!" I didn't know what he was talking about at first. The arrangement felt more like rock than the singer's usual electro-disco approach, but the opening vocal sure sounded like Donna Summer to me. Midway through the song, however, her voice shifted into the playful, hiccuping style Elvis had used on so many of his early recordings.

"See! See!" John shouted, pointing at the speakers.

The record was John's way of saying hello again after five years. I had spent time with him in Los Angeles in the mid-1970s, during the period he later referred to as his "lost weekend" -- months when he was estranged from Yoko and spent many a night in notorious drinking bouts with his buddies Harry Nilsson and Ringo Starr. John got so boisterous one night that he was thrown out of the Troubadour, one of the city's landmark music clubs. He invited me to dinner a few times, and I later found out it was when he had an important business meeting the next morning and didn't want to wake up with a hangover. I got the nod over Harry and Ringo because I didn't drink anything stronger than diet soda. We would eat at a chic Chinese restaurant and then return to his suite at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. Those hours would race by because we loved talking about our favorite rock hero, Elvis, which brings us back to "The Wanderer.

I've experienced hundreds of memorable concert and interview moments, so it's hard to rank them in any favorite order, but my final hours with John in New York are certainly on the short list. It was just weeks before his death in December of 1980, and his playing the Summer record was an endearing greeting -- and one that was typical of John. Of the hundreds of musicians I've met, John was among the most down-to-earth.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-hilburn-lennon11-2009oct11,0,7359748.story

Yeah, John Lennon was totally "over" Elvis Presley. ;-)

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:57 am

John never fell out of love with early Elvis or '50s rock 'n' roll in general.