More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS & NIXON to be released April 15, 2016

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:53 am

http://www.elvismatters.com/index.php?p ... s&id=14389

Re: ELVIS & NIXON to be released April 15, 2016

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:46 pm

From Screen Daily.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/distrib ... 04.article

Additionally, the domestic rights to Elvis & Nixon are owned by Amazon Studios, who, in conjunction with Bleecker Street, will release this film in theatres before it's available to download shortly thereafter. Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has the international distribution rights, whilst Remstar Films has the distribution rights for Canada.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:38 pm

the guy playing Elvis is nowhere as good looking and looks well older than the the 35 year old EP

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:47 pm

Johnny 99 wrote:the guy playing Elvis is nowhere as good looking and looks well older than the the 35 year old EP

...do you mean the unknown actor? :shock:

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:32 am

Johnny 99 wrote:the guy playing Elvis is nowhere as good looking ...

It's hard to find an actor as good-looking as the most handsome pop star of the 20th century.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:34 am

Greystoke wrote:From Screen Daily.

Additionally, the domestic rights to Elvis & Nixon are owned by Amazon Studios, who, in conjunction with Bleecker Street, will release this film in theatres before it's available to download shortly thereafter. Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has the international distribution rights, whilst Remstar Films has the distribution rights for Canada.

looking forward to this

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:41 am

keninlincs wrote:
Greystoke wrote:From Screen Daily.

looking forward to this

Couldn't agree more, Ken: let's hope our optimism is well-founded.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:53 am

Johnny 99 wrote:the guy playing Elvis is nowhere as good looking and looks well older than the the 35 year old EP

The guy playing Elvis is one of the most talented and respected actors working today. He hasn't been cast in Elvis & Nixon to be a lookalike. Michael Shannon excels in creating compelling and unique characters. That's what he will bring to this movie. Not that a resemblance isn't very much desired in biopics. But such isn't always achievable. Whilst lookalike often equates to caricature, and that's one thing I'm sure Shannon won't resort or succumb to with regards to this role. He may not resemble Elvis, but he can get under the skin of a character worth investing in. And that's going to be the measure of this movie.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:54 am

Greystoke wrote:

The guy playing Elvis is one of the most talented and respected actors working today. He hasn't been cast in Elvis & Nixon to be a lookalike. Michael Shannon excels in creating compelling and unique characters. That's what he will bring to this movie. Not that a resemblance isn't very much desired in biopics. But such isn't always achievable. Whilst lookalike often equates to caricature, and that's one thing I'm sure Shannon won't resort or succumb to with regards to this role. He may not resemble Elvis, but he can get under the skin of a character worth investing in. And that's going to be the measure of this movie.

Amen.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:44 am

Greystoke wrote:

perfectly stated...can`t wait to see it for Shannon alone!! :D

Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Elvis & Nixon has a UK cinema release date of April 29th, 2016.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Here's a recent interview with Michael Shannon in which he talks a little bit about Elvis.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/michael- ... wards.html

Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:18 am

George Smith wrote:
Johnny 99 wrote:the guy playing Elvis is nowhere as good looking ...

It's hard to find an actor as good-looking as the most handsome pop star of the 20th century.

the problem is that he looked like a million bucks from every angle ..LOl

Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:50 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4BIeL6AGkw

Hillarious!°!

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:49 pm

Greystoke wrote:

Then it should only be broadcast on the radio.

One of the most important aspects of Elvis' legacy is the way he looked.

He wouldn't have achieved as much as he did if he looked and moved like Van Morrison.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:50 pm

I have no desire to see this movie.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Looking forward to this one.

Strange though that we have only had the teaser for this film. It's out in 4 months so where is the full-length trailer?

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:44 pm

JRtherealJR wrote:Looking forward to this one.

Strange though that we have only had the teaser for this film. It's out in 4 months so where is the full-length trailer?

I think if they show the full-length trailer, then it might expose how bad this film actually is.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:29 pm

I don't think the timing is off with regards to trailers or the marketing of Elvis & Nixon. It's not a tentpole movie and is unlikely to have the benefit of a wide theatrical window, but with awards season looming large and several major releases currently in cinemas and forthcoming, the timing isn't quite right to start a campaign for this movie.

I wouldn't expect to see a trailer until late-January or February, in this regard. Although there's only a tiny amount of buzz surrounding Elvis & Nixon just now, the benefit of having Michael Shannon and Kevin Spacey in the leading roles is only to this film's favour. Whilst the distribution model for movies of this nature has changed to such a degree in recent years that marketing must accommodate the ways and means in which many films are sold nowadays.

Amazon took a big leap purchasing the rights to this movie and have done a good job marketing original series' such as Mozart in the Jungle and The Man in the High Castle, so I expect them to follow through with this movie's marketing campaign.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:41 pm

Greystoke wrote:

I don't think the timing is off with regards to trailers or the marketing of Elvis & Nixon. It's not a tentpole movie and is unlikely to have the benefit of a wide theatrical window, but with awards season looming large and several major releases currently in cinemas and forthcoming, the timing isn't quite right to start a campaign for this movie.

I wouldn't expect to see a trailer until late-January or February, in this regard. Although there's only a tiny amount of buzz surrounding Elvis & Nixon just now, the benefit of having Michael Shannon and Kevin Spacey in the leading roles is only to this film's favour. Whilst the distribution model for movies of this nature has changed to such a degree in recent years that marketing must accommodate the ways and means in which many films are sold nowadays.

Amazon took a big leap purchasing the rights to this movie and have done a good job marketing original series' such as Mozart in the Jungle and The Man in the High Castle, so I expect them to follow through with this movie's marketing campaign.

I'm confident that Amazon is gonna do right by the film, they didn't just purchase a film starring an Academy award winner and Academy award nominee just to let it flounder and die. This will get a great promo push as the release date gets closer.

But realistically , I doubt this can film do much Box office wise.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:10 pm

Yeah where can they go with this material ? Will they take it further? That other recent version had Elvis visiting shops and walking the streets and a deeper look into the persona, on the whole respectful, also comedic at times.

::rocks

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:27 pm

TINML wrote:
Greystoke wrote:

I'm confident that Amazon is gonna do right by the film, they didn't just purchase a film starring an Academy award winner and Academy award nominee just to let it flounder and die. This will get a great promo push as the release date gets closer.

I wouldn't expect it to gross more than $5 - $10 million domestically. Perhaps £500,000 - £1,000,000 in the UK. I don't know what Elvis & Nixon's budget was, but Amazon bought it for around $3 million. This, bearing in mind that it will be available to stream/download fairly soon after it debuts in theatres.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Greystoke wrote:
TINML wrote:
Greystoke wrote:

I wouldn't expect it to gross more than $5 - $10 million domestically. Perhaps £500,000 - £1,000,000 in the UK. I don't know what Elvis & Nixon's budget was, but Amazon bought it for around $3 million. This, bearing in mind that it will be available to stream/download fairly soon after it debuts in theatres.

I think they're lucky if Amazon makes back the $3 million. That's not a knock on the film itself (as I've stated before I read the script about a year ago) but I doubt there's a big market for it. The reviews will have to be fantastic to get people to see a movie about this meeting. It's interesting to Elvis fans but who else could possibly care?

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:41 pm

For the many (and there are many) people who think Elvis became uncool and was an enemy to the Beatles & counter culture of the late 60's and 70's, this movie will just solidify that opinion. How wonderful that we had the RPO album this year and this movie next year to totally strip away all the street cred and rebellious image that endeared Elvis to millions of people. People ,especially today's youth, only remember what is shown to them currently and if this is how Elvis is going to be represented (along with ghastly EPE products and ETAs), the days of Elvis meaning anything hip or cool to new generations will dwindle. He will continue to be made fun of.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:47 am

TINML wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
TINML wrote:
Greystoke wrote:

I think they're lucky if Amazon makes back the $3 million. That's not a knock on the film itself (as I've stated before I read the script about a year ago) but I doubt there's a big market for it. The reviews will have to be fantastic to get people to see a movie about this meeting. It's interesting to Elvis fans but who else could possibly care?

I don't think reviews will make much difference with regards to box office, but I'm under the impression that Elvis & Nixon is now getting a wide release. The movie itself, however, may be curious enough with regards to the subject matter and its stars -- whilst Amazon's backing will help considerably. Whether it will be any good or not is something else entirely, but I think a $5 million gross is fairly realistic. Less with a limited release, of course. In that regard, it would do very well to earn a million dollars domestically.