Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Has anyone read the Dick Grob book?

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:35 pm

It´s available on line now. Has anyone read it yet?

Re: Has anyone read the Dick Grob book?

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:03 pm

the Elvis Conspiracy one? I have it its HUGE its been a while but I've read it...

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:42 am

If your referring to "Safe & Sound", I'm reading now. Very meticulously and factually written, making it a hard read for me. I assume, this comes from his training in law enforcement. I was most intrigued by his accounts of the night in Pittsburgh, after the NYE show....since I was there. Vernon's reason for firing Red, Sonny & Dave and people hiding in the morgue at Baptist Memorial. Glad I bought it.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:39 am

where can I buy it ?

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:41 am

yeah where can i buy it too?

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:08 am

Not sure...I got mine in Memphis a couple weeks ago. A little irritated that Mr. Grob went home on Wednesday morning and not leaving any books signed.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:19 am

If the St. Louis County Public Library doesn't have it, I'll request that they acquire it. (They acquired Linda Thompson's book at my (and others') request.)

If the STL Library opts not to purchase it, I'll wait and pick it up for $2.00 at our massive annual charity book fair next spring. Meanwhile, I'll read reviews with interest and decide if it's worth my time.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 am

http://www.elvissafeandsound.com/get-in-touch.html

GET IN TOUCH

The Memphis Picker LLC., 901-203-9596 in Memphis TN.

einvegas@aol.com.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:06 am

when i emailed that it bounced back!~

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:21 am

One area of focus in the book is the 1974 incident with a man named Edward Ashley at the Sahara Tahoe. Ashley paid $60 after being told he'd be granted access to Elvis' suite. When he encountered nothing but locked doors, he accessed the circuit breaker and turned out all the lights. Sonny West and David Stanley got rough with the guy (who was drunk and belligerent.) Ashley sued Elvis for a boatload of money.

Grob has copies of handwritten statements of Sahara security guards, and the actual complaint filed in court.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 am

Always a good idea to research the veracity and credibility of the source.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:35 am

Out of all books only Grob can go into full detail on Elvis' security situation so that makes it worthwile getting.
And let's be honest, he is one of the few left being able to tell his story. (I don't have his previous book)

But I'm hoping for more musician books, it would be great if Ronnie would do that for example.
Jerry Scheff's book is one of the best around, as it has a much wider scope than just Elvis.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:58 am

Robert wrote:Out of all books only Grob can go into full detail on Elvis' security situation so that makes it worthwile getting.
And let's be honest, he is one of the few left being able to tell his story. (I don't have his previous book).

The problem is Dick Grob's trustworthiness. He lied about his military record. His book The Elvis Conspiracy is fascinating but he clearly has an axe to grind with the Aldens and so he's really making stuff up. The whole book sets out to prove that Ginger found Elvis collapsed and struggling to breathe and instead of calling for help, called her mother, and then rang the National Enquirer to sell an exclusive on the dying Elvis. It's probably one of the very worst things you could accuse a person of. There is no evidence to back up his claim, and the 'evidence' he presents was either fabricated or tenuous reasoning.

Nevertheless I would love to read his new book. The Elvis Conspiracy remains for me one of the most interesting reads, despite what I said above!

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:09 pm

It´s available here:https://www.facebook.com/groups/221633814968472/permalink/320946275037225/?sale_post_id=320946275037225

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:27 pm

Its available from Jon Daly through is facebook page/group "Elvis Pawn Shop book store". you can pm jon daly directly on fb and he will invoice you. its 40 bucks (plus shipping i imagine). I bought my copy at Daly's show during EW. Met DG and he autographed my book for me, i got a pic with him too. He was very personable.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Ricky wrote:Not sure...I got mine in Memphis a couple weeks ago. A little irritated that Mr. Grob went home on Wednesday morning and not leaving any books signed.

Grob made numerous appearances during EW--including Marian Cocke's dinner, a book event at marlowes, and visits to jon daly's memorabilia show. I saw him a couple of times.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:44 pm

MontanaElvisFan wrote:
Ricky wrote:Not sure...I got mine in Memphis a couple weeks ago. A little irritated that Mr. Grob went home on Wednesday morning and not leaving any books signed.

Grob made numerous appearances during EW--including Marian Cocke's dinner, a book event at marlowes, and visits to jon daly's memorabilia show. I saw him a couple of times.

I also spoke to him at Alfred's "Memphis Mafia Reunion", but he wasn't selling books there. He left Jon Daly's show Wednesday am for home. I wish he had signed a couple books before he left.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 am

His website still says its under construction. It has his email: einvegas@aol.com

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:15 pm

In a nutshell, is there a notable story about the hours after the Pittsburgh NYE show?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:32 am

stevelecher wrote:In a nutshell, is there a notable story about the hours after the Pittsburgh NYE show?

My reason, as I said, is because I stayed in the Hilton as well that night. Basically, everyone wanted to get home to celebrate. Joe Esposito bought a couple of cases of champagne and the partying started. Elvis was still arguing with Ginger in his room when someone informed him a cousin of the Presley family had died. He decided they were leaving and going to the airport around 3:00am. After arriving, the plane's interior was still cold and Elvis sat on him bed wrapped in a blanket while Ginger stared out the window of the plane, clearly pissed. While they were de-icing the wings (snowstorm that night) cops arrived on the tarmac to inform them that there was a bomb threat called in on the plane, Grob & the pilot checked every inch of the outside and decided it was a hoax. When Elvis was told by Grob everything was fine, Grob joked, " OK, I'm catching a later flight, I'll meet you in Memphis". They finally left around 8:15 am and arrived in Memphis at 9:30am. (central time).

Around 9:00 am that morning, my friends and I got off the elevator on Elvis' floor. Outside all the rooms were trays and empty champagne bottles. But of course, no sign of Elvis.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:23 am

does anyone know why EP and Ginger were arguing?

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:50 pm

JEFF d wrote:does anyone know why EP and Ginger were arguing?

Quite possibly because she would slip out at night to see friends and a certain guy, while pretending to be home, according to Grob. Who knows...
JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:25 pm

elvisjock wrote:One area of focus in the book is the 1974 incident with a man named Edward Ashley at the Sahara Tahoe. Ashley paid $60 after being told he'd be granted access to Elvis' suite. When he encountered nothing but locked doors, he accessed the circuit breaker and turned out all the lights. Sonny West and David Stanley got rough with the guy (who was drunk and belligerent.) Ashley sued Elvis for a boatload of money.

Grob has copies of handwritten statements of Sahara security guards, and the actual complaint filed in court.

Interesting. I'm still not a huge fan of Dick Grob, given his inaccurate rendering of both his personal history and his time with Presley.

On the bright side, your post inspired a fresh look at Elvis' 1970s lawsuits:

Bodyguard Lawsuits in the 1970s --> Ouch!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99092

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:32 pm

HE tells a great funny story about the first time Elvis was on the Lisa Marie - sorry can't scan it the book hasn't been out for some years

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Here is the snyopsis of the book, i really like the cover.

http://elv75.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/aug ... sound.html