Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What Was Your Elvis Week Collectors Convention Experience?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:23 am

Ok, Elvis collectors - what are your best stories from the Elvis collector conventions during past Elvis weeks?

What was your haul like?

Did you get anything good?

Did you buy a whole bunch of stuff?

Or just a few items?

If so, what did you buy?

What was your favorite part of your purchases that year? Feel free to include stories from many many prior years if that fits you... :mrgreen:

Who did you get to meet that surprised you?

Are there any moments that stand out to you that you particularly enjoyed by going to an Elvis collectors convention?

Let's hear some stories. :D

Re: What Was Your Elvis Week Collectors Convention Experienc

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:33 am

No stories? :D

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:34 pm

You can read a few nice comments here about the now fully established London one. Next one being held november 17th
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=67198

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Back in the early days of Elvis Week you could not buy a lot of things because the prices were so expensive. I can remember paying $1,000 for a 1956 overnight case. When I walked out of the show through the lobby of the hotel people stared at it in awe. I had a friend who would donate blood all year to sell to get money to spend at the conventions. When the doors opened on a convention it was a mad house of people fighting to get the best goodies. At one time there were four hotels that had conventions going: The Ramada, Holiday Inn, Howard Johnsons, and Wilson World. Wilson World is now owned by EPE and has no convention. The Howard Johnsons has been torn down. The Holiday Inn is now called something else and is in complete disrepair and no longer has a convention. The Ramada is now the Clarion and still has a convention.

After the conventions closed at night you could head to The Days Inn on Brooks Road and buy things out of motel rooms.

It is a shame that EPE never proved a facility near Graceland to house all of the dealers in one Mega Show and expose more people to vintage Elvis collecting.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Those were the days ............

EPE have no gain or profit in that venture Colonel .
There may not be too many conventions after this year either .

Fred is having real trouble at his venue competing with the ETA's for space & The Robert says this is his last at the Peabody .

Oh well !

That would probably end my Elvis week attendance .

ElvisFan

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:15 pm

ElvisFan wrote:Those were the days ............

EPE have no gain or profit in that venture Colonel .
There may not be too many conventions after this year either .

Fred is having real trouble at his venue competing with the ETA's for space & The Robert says this is his last at the Peabody .

Oh well !

That would probably end my Elvis week attendance .

ElvisFan

Fred's show at the Clarion has been relegated primarily to the lobby and hall ways. That means the dealers will have to pack everything up every night. Bob's show at the Peabody has never really taken off so it is easy to understand why he is giving up.

Like you, I will probably stop going back every year if the conventions go away. EPE has never realized that the conventions and the tent and Graceland Crossings are a big part of why they have regulars who come back year after year. I disagree that there is no profit in EPE having dealers on its property for Elvis Week. Anything that brings traffic to Memphis/Elvis Week is good for EPE. While I visit Graceland every year I am at Elvis Week, I will probably only go every 5 years once the conventions are gone and they phase out the tent for a $30-$50 a day ticketed venue. If EPE had a place for a convention they could also have an area devoted to a displaying fan loaned Elvis artifacts for Elvis Week. There are some people who have spectacular things that they would loan to Graceland for nothing more in return than a name tag by the item recognizing them. It would give Graceland a bonus museum for visitors and help justify an entry fee. Disney gets this type of thing. I had hoped that one day they would acquire EPE. Instead we got Potato Head. I think that even the Colonel would have understood that this would be good business.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:59 pm

I would love to see those things happen .

Unfortunately you & I both know it will not .

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm

ElvisFan wrote:I would love to see those things happen .

Unfortunately you & I both know it will not .

Agreed :(

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Tony.. wrote:You can read a few nice comments here about the now fully established London one. Next one being held november 17th
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=67198

I'll make a note in my diary.

I keep meaning to go to one of these!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:21 am

thecolonel wrote:....I had a friend who would donate blood all year to sell to get money to spend at the conventions....

The next time someone asks what a "true Elvis diehard" is, I'm gonna repost this quote. Lord-a-mighty!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:02 am

Those days at the Days Inn on Brooks Rd. were awesome. At night practically every room door was open and you just walked in. From room to room you would go. Some folks sold stuff others just showed what they had in their collection. Like being in a big flea market with lots of friends. Everyone knew each other whether you actually did or not. Great memories.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 pm

I looked at Goolgle maps and now even Days Inn at Brooks Rd. is torned down since a few years. I stayed there together with the Swedish fan club in 1997.