Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New E.P Collector CD: Back On Track (March 18 1976)

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:43 pm

image002 (4).jpg

Expected soon is our new CD titled ”BACK ON TRACK” (label E.P. Collector, catalogue number EPC 2015-04), recorded live from the audience in Johnson City, TN, March 18th, 1976. It was the 1st tour of 1976 and some of Elvis’ regular musicians were replaced. The result was a surprisingly fresh, experimental sound, with keyboards and drums more prominent. Elvis performs a solid and entertaining show. Among the concert highlights are ”Let Me Be There”, ”Tryin’ To Get To You”, ”Hawaiian Wedding Song”, the second live performance of ”Hurt”, the national anthem ”America”, ”It’s Now Or Never” and “Burning Love”. Compared with the previously released St. Louis, March 22nd, 1976 tour closer (E.P. Collector, EPC 2013-01) lasting just about 52 minutes, March 17th was perhaps the longest show of the tour with a much stronger setlist, running nearly 80 minutes! As usual, this is a previously unreleased concert, taken from a recently found 1st generation copy of an original audience recorded master cassette tape. For the very first time, this show is available in remarkably good audience recorded sound … and complete! Sonically, this is one of the best audience recordings out there - ask for samples!

The CD is packaged in a nicely designed digipak with cool images taken on March 18, 1976 in Johnson City.
Tracklist:
01. Announcements - 02. Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001 Theme) - 03. C. C. Rider (with false start) - 04. medley: I Got A Woman / Amen - 05. Love Me - 06. Let Me Be There - 07. And I Love You So - 08. You Gave Me A Mountain - 09. All Shook Up - 10. medley: Teddy Bear / Don’t Be Cruel - 11. Tryin’ To Get To You - 12. Hawaiian Wedding Song (with false start) - 13. Polk Salad Annie - 14. Band Introductions - 15. Whatd I Say (James Burton) - 16. Drum Solo (Larry Londin) - 17. Bass Solo (with reprise, Jerry Scheff ) - 18. Piano Solo (Shane Keister) - 19. Electric Piano & Clavinet Solo (David Briggs) - 20. School Day - 21. Hurt - 22. Hound Dog - 23. America (The Beautiful) - 24. medley: Mystery Train / Tiger Man - 25. It’s Now Or Never - 26. Burning Love - 27. Can’t Help Falling In Love - 28. Closing Vamp / Announcements.
Running time: 79:37
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: New E.P Collector CD: Back On Track (March 18 1976)

Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:05 am

wonder if FTD has these Johnson city concerts on soundboard....at least one :wink:

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:01 am

Just got the email for this, thanks for the info Johnny. I want this one in my collection, so i can get rid of my CDR,. Hopefully one day we have Johnson city 19th and Cincinnati 21st A/S so i have a complete tour that is not Vegas or Tahoe.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:30 am

Beautiful ::rocks

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:51 am

:D ah now YES i do want this show... especially if its complete and decent sound. :D Absolutely i will be getting this release!Q~

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:18 am

Elvis was in surprisingly good spirits during this tour. Far from his prime, but it's way more enjoyable than what would come later that year.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:21 am

The March 17,1976 soundboard needs to be released on ftd.everything recorded which ends after And i love you so on the sb.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:14 am

I am also looking very forward to this release. All we have as yet is an incomplete source from footage and one is complete but intros and Cant Help Falling In Love...and both sound horrible. They can now go into the bin. And the show isn't bad either. Nice release.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:33 am

:D yes although i rate it as the most 'sluggish' of the 3 Johnson city shows and Elvis the most 'stoned during' it... i still always wanted the complete and full show- despite it being least good of those 3 shows.You can tell he is badly affected from his looks/speech and manner compared to the other 2 'good' Johnson city shows :?
and those who doubt me watch footage from all 3 shows...(i have many, many times). 18th is least good. :|

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:24 pm

Elvis' best concerts of 1976 are from the March tour, the April/May Lake Tahoe season and the New Year's Eve Pittsburgh show. I find it surprising that FTD has not released any shows from the March 1976 tour, yet they have released a number of poor shows from later on in the year 1976.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:41 pm

Wasnt Ernst at one of the Johnson City shows? I will be getting this. Awesome cover too!

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Moonchild wrote:Wasnt Ernst at one of the Johnson City shows?

Indeed he was!

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Looking forward to some samples of this one.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Looking forward to this, complete.... it fills a gap in the collection.
Fine show too and excellent artwork!

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:26 pm

Moonchild wrote:Wasnt Ernst at one of the Johnson City shows? I will be getting this. Awesome cover too!

Of all places to catch your hero in concert. Johnson City!

Ernst recalls his conversation with Felton Jarvis. Feltone couldn't stop talking about Elvis' recent recording of Danny Boy.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:24 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Image

Expected soon is our new CD titled ”BACK ON TRACK” (label E.P. Collector, catalogue number EPC 2015-04), recorded live from the audience in Johnson City, TN, March 18th, 1976. It was the 1st tour of 1976 and some of Elvis’ regular musicians were replaced. The result was a surprisingly fresh, experimental sound, with keyboards and drums more prominent. Elvis performs a solid and entertaining show. Among the concert highlights are ”Let Me Be There”, ”Tryin’ To Get To You”, ”Hawaiian Wedding Song”, the second live performance of ”Hurt”, the national anthem ”America”, ”It’s Now Or Never” and “Burning Love”. Compared with the previously released St. Louis, March 22nd, 1976 tour closer (E.P. Collector, EPC 2013-01) lasting just about 52 minutes, March 17th was perhaps the longest show of the tour with a much stronger setlist, running nearly 80 minutes! As usual, this is a previously unreleased concert, taken from a recently found 1st generation copy of an original audience recorded master cassette tape. For the very first time, this show is available in remarkably good audience recorded sound … and complete! Sonically, this is one of the best audience recordings out there - ask for samples!

The CD is packaged in a nicely designed digipak with cool images taken on March 18, 1976 in Johnson City.
Tracklist:
01. Announcements - 02. Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001 Theme) - 03. C. C. Rider (with false start) - 04. medley: I Got A Woman / Amen - 05. Love Me - 06. Let Me Be There - 07. And I Love You So - 08. You Gave Me A Mountain - 09. All Shook Up - 10. medley: Teddy Bear / Don’t Be Cruel - 11. Tryin’ To Get To You - 12. Hawaiian Wedding Song (with false start) - 13. Polk Salad Annie - 14. Band Introductions - 15. Whatd I Say (James Burton) - 16. Drum Solo (Larry Londin) - 17. Bass Solo (with reprise, Jerry Scheff ) - 18. Piano Solo (Shane Keister) - 19. Electric Piano & Clavinet Solo (David Briggs) - 20. School Day - 21. Hurt - 22. Hound Dog - 23. America (The Beautiful) - 24. medley: Mystery Train / Tiger Man - 25. It’s Now Or Never - 26. Burning Love - 27. Can’t Help Falling In Love - 28. Closing Vamp / Announcements.
Running time: 79:37

The set list is very much like what he was doing at the Hilton in December 1975. How "strong" it may be is a matter of perspective. New band members Shane Keister (piano) and Larrie Londin (drums) elevate the standard of the show, if only since their newness put everyone on alert. It would last all of eight shows, the length of this mini-tour.

The new release is certainly an improvement, if only for having a better title:

Spreading The Wings_PA_cover.jpg

Oh, and America's national anthem is "The Star-Spangled Banner," not "America the Beautiful":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner

---

elvisjock wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Wasnt Ernst at one of the Johnson City shows? I will be getting this. Awesome cover too!

Of all places to catch your hero in concert. Johnson City!

Ernst recalls his conversation with Felton Jarvis. Feltone couldn't stop talking about Elvis' recent recording of Danny Boy.

It would be interesting to learn which of the three was the one Ernst and his wife attended:

3-17-1976 (Wed)
3-18-1976 (Thu)
3-19-1976 (Fri)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:30 pm

and he didn't like the show

Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:04 pm

Ernst attended the First Johnson City show and liked the Hurt performance. :D

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:21 pm

YDKM wrote:Ernst attended the First Johnson City show and liked the Hurt performance. :D

...guess he didn't get his money`s worth :wink:

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:31 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:

his exact words thanks to EIN:

Then Felton told me where he thought I could pick up tickets. It was a liquor store on the outskirts of town. So we went there, and we bought two tickets, very overpriced. And then we went to see the show. We sat behind the stage up high, which was already a downer, you could only see things from behind the stage. I was somewhat disappointed, but still fascinated by being there. You see, at that time I was hoping that he would sing a lot of songs that I didn't know. The only one he did do was 'Hurt'. I went out and bought the record and travelled around with it for five weeks without being able to play it until we got back home to Denmark.

it was very predictable. It was okay, but not great. At that time I was already somewhat critical of some of the things that he was doing.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_definitiveErnst_2002.html

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:17 am

Sample 1 - Hurt - http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/okfNQdSa/file.html
Sample 2 - America The Beautiful - http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/aB9Vpk53/file.html

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:23 am

Thanks Johnny, sound is very good for such a recording !

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:32 am

G.I. Blues wrote:

That is incorrect.

His thoughts on seeing Presley in March 1976 are very even-handed, according to a 2002 interview with FECC member Rock Legend:

In March of 1976, you met Elvis' producer Felton Jarvis. What are your memories of that meeting?

I was scared to death! We found out where they stayed, that was with my wife at the time, Lizzie. We were just doing a Greyhound trip of the US. It wasn't planned. Suddenly we found out that Elvis was playing the next town, in Johnson City. We took a bus over there to try and see if we could get tickets. Of course it was sold out. I'd done my Recording Sessions book, the earlier one, and we thought we'd try and see if we could find the band.

We went up to the venue, and nobody really knew anything, but there was a guy who said where they were staying, everybody but Elvis. So we went out to their motel, and didn't know what to do. So we went into the restaurant, and after a while, suddenly the Sweet Inspirations and a lot of the musicians and Felton came down and sat at two of the tables. We were sitting there eating, and I was scared stiff, but at the same time I wanted to go see them.

So as soon as people started walking out, suddenly I got very nervous about it, and one of the last people to still be sitting there was Felton. So I finally got my nerve and walked over there. Remember, at that time Felton had actually once written to me, also his wife, with a lot of session information. So I had an excuse in my mind to do that. And he was the nicest of guys, and we got to sit and talk, and he told us about the new sessions at Graceland.

The one song he was mentioning all the time was Elvis' version of "Danny Boy." I mean, he mentioned that instead of "Hurt," "For The Heart," "Moody Blue" or anything like that. So that was really good. We got to have our picture taken with David Briggs, James Burton and Felton, and that was real fun.

Then Felton told me where he thought I could pick up tickets. It was a liquor store on the outskirts of town. So we went there, and we bought two tickets, very overpriced. And then we went to see the show. We sat behind the stage up high, which was already a downer, you could only see things from behind the stage. I was somewhat disappointed, but still fascinated by being there. You see, at that time I was hoping that he would sing a lot of songs that I didn't know. The only one he did do was "Hurt." I went out and bought the record and travelled around with it for five weeks without being able to play it until we got back home to Denmark.

What were your general impressions of the concert?

That it was very predictable. It was okay, but not great. At that time I was already somewhat critical of some of the things that he was doing. I remember that we were invited down to witness a mixing session because I gave Felton the book, and he thought I could come down to Murfreesboro where Chip Young had a studio at the time, where they would do some of the mixing. We couldn't fit it into the trip we were on, so…

That must be a regret now.

Yeah, you bet! But I wouldn't have met Elvis by doing so, because he was never there for these sessions anyway. Of course it would have meant something to me, but if I'd met him at that time, as overweight as he was, I may have been shocked. You didn't notice that to the same extent in a big hall. It was for 6 or 7.000 fans, and the place was all concrete, so the sound wasn't all that great. We actually snug a tape-recorder in there and recorded it. I still have a tape somewhere of the show, but it's definitely not soundboard quality! You hear people talking around me and all that sh'it.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_definitiveErnst_2002.html

And from another interview, conducted by Rob Hincks in January 2005:

I saw Elvis in concert once, in Johnson City, Tennessee, in 1976. I thought he was a bit predictable and too comfortable. What was fascinating was meeting the piano player and the producer, getting the titles of some new songs and filling in a few more gaps. Now that was exciting.

Scanorama, March 2005
Scandinavian Airlines In-Flight Magazine

---

YDKM wrote:Ernst attended the First Johnson City show and liked the Hurt performance. :D

How did you determine Ernst attended the 3-17-1976 (Wed) performance in Johnson City?

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:53 am

an educated guess that it was the first show!~ :D

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:03 am

:? hmm yes the sound IS GOOD, but how much Slug bait did Elvis consume b4 coming on stage that night...so much slower than the 17th and 19th March performances :|