Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis' Greatest 70's Live RCA Release - *On Stage*

Wed May 27, 2015 7:33 am

My personal favorite, and possibly the best 70's Live LP release from Elvis' lifetime. Released on RCA Records LSP-4362
LP On Stage.jpg
in the early summer of 1970. Being one of the early live LP's that offers 10 songs that dis-associates it as being Elvis Presley's music at the time, but he nails them all, and the band is smoking hot in each and every hand picked number recorded from August 25, 1969, through February 19, 1970.

The Album starts out without a doubt the best hard hitting versions of See See Rider - Runaway - Walk A Mile In My Shoes - Wonder Of You - Let It Be Me Elvis ever put to tape. The preservations of the multi-tracks recorded over some 45 years ago at International Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada
1970-6.jpg
is just amazing when one listens to these tracks on the Legacy editions. They are just as fresh and crisp as the day they were recorded.
1970-4.jpg

Tracklisting
• See See Rider
• Release Me
• Sweet Caroline
• Runaway
• The Wonder of You
• Polk Salad Annie
• Yesterday
• Proud Mary
• Walk a Mile in My Shoes
• Let It Be Me

This is one Album I never tire of, and it never sounds dated.
It's simply one of the Greatest Live Rock 'n Roll LP's of All Time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis' Greatest 70's Live RCA Release - *On Stage*

Wed May 27, 2015 7:45 am

It appears Ike & Tina Turner also put out a live album called "On Stage" in 1970 (as well as "In Person" in 1969).

Wed May 27, 2015 8:06 am

Matthew wrote:It appears Ike & Tina Turner also put out a live album called "On Stage" in 1970 (as well as "In Person" in 1969).

Sure didn't know that Matthew. Wonder if there were any copyright issues involved there. Seems that would be more than coincidence. :shock:
Maybe that's the reason for "February 1970" in Elvis' title.

Wed May 27, 2015 12:54 pm

promiseland wrote:
Matthew wrote:It appears Ike & Tina Turner also put out a live album called "On Stage" in 1970 (as well as "In Person" in 1969).

Sure didn't know that Matthew. Wonder if there were any copyright issues involved there. Seems that would be more than coincidence. :shock:

There are no issues or coincidences involved at all. Ike & Tina's 1969 LP was issued before Elvis' set:

690712_Minit 24018.jpg
Ike & Tina Turner and the Ikettes In Person ‎(Minit 24018, July 12, 1969)
Recorded at Basin Street West, San Francisco, CA.

And their On Stage release was a 1965 U.K. compilation of live cuts:

650000_Valiant VS 118.JPG

650000_Valiant VS 118 BACK.JPG
Ike & Tina Turner On Stage ‎(Valiant VS 118, 1965)

---

As for On Stage: February 1970, I agree it is Presley's finest live album of the 1970s, but would never call it "one of the Greatest Live Rock 'n Roll LP's of All Time." The album represents nothing but his (excellent) covers of other people's hits. To get to that next level, there must be a very dedicated connection to the artist's own body of work. Despite the lo-fi quality, I'd probably place the 1961 Honolulu concert in the pantheon, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 27, 2015 1:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:

There are no issues or coincidences involved at all. Ike & Tina's 1969 LP was issued before Elvis' set:

690712_Minit 24018.jpg

650000_Valiant VS 118.JPG

---

As for On Stage: February 1970, I agree it is Presley's finest live album of the 1970s, but would never call it "one of the Greatest Live Rock 'n Roll LP's of All Time." The album represents nothing but his (excellent) covers of other people's hits. To get to that next level, there must be a very dedicated connection to the artist's own body of work. Despite the lo-fi quality, I'd probably place the 1961 Honolulu concert in the pantheon, though.

Ahh so theirs did come out first. After him going through take after take of the Harem Scarem, Clambake, and Yoga Is As Yoga Does sessions while getting physically ill, I bet he was sure glad he was covering everyone else's hits during those On Stage seasons for sure. :wink:

Thanks Doc for the added info!

Wed May 27, 2015 1:54 pm

promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There are no issues or coincidences involved at all. Ike & Tina's 1969 LP was issued before Elvis' set:

---

Ahh so theirs did come out first. After him going through take after take of the Harem Scarem, Clambake, and Yoga Is As Yoga Does sessions while getting physically ill, I bet he was sure glad he was covering everyone else's hits during those On Stage seasons for sure. :wink:

Thanks Doc for the added info!

That's a different argument entirely, and not one I make.

Wed May 27, 2015 2:37 pm

This was my first Elvis LP I purchased in the summer of 1970, when I was 11 years old. Was he in top form or what!!

Wed May 27, 2015 3:52 pm

promiseland wrote:

No copyright for such generic names. How many ways can one name a live album? And BTW, "In Person" was not released by that name in 1969. It formed half of the double album "From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis".

Wed May 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Nice post promiseland. 8)

This album is firing on all cylinders and was my first live Elvis album i got as a kid. I played it to death almost, still have my first copy, and like you i never tire of it.
Elvis volcals are so full and crisp and his energy level is exploding off every track and the band is right in there with him.

It's one of the Elvis CD's i keep in my car at all times. :D

Wed May 27, 2015 4:10 pm

It's one of my favorite albums and one of my favorite vegas season too!

Wed May 27, 2015 4:14 pm

This was also an album treated as if it were recorded in the studio. With overdubbing, edits, repairs etc. Made an excellent finished product! With hindsight, would have been great IMO for "I Can't Stop Loving You" making first appearance on this album. Anyway, Great we have all the Pro recordings (and then some) from Feb 1970!
Last edited by Juan Luis on Wed May 27, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 27, 2015 4:24 pm

My favorite concert album by Elvis too, followed closely by "In Person".

Wed May 27, 2015 8:09 pm

promiseland wrote:My personal favorite, and possibly the best 70's Live LP release from Elvis' lifetime. Released on RCA Records LSP-4362
LP On Stage.jpg
in the early summer of 1970. Being one of the early live LP's that offers 10 songs that dis-associates it as being Elvis Presley's music at the time, but he nails them all, and the band is smoking hot in each and every hand picked number recorded from August 25, 1969, through February 19, 1970.

The Album starts out without a doubt the best hard hitting versions of See See Rider - Runaway - Walk A Mile In My Shoes - Wonder Of You - Let It Be Me Elvis ever put to tape. The preservations of the multi-tracks recorded over some 45 years ago at International Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada
1970-6.jpg
is just amazing when one listens to these tracks on the Legacy editions. They are just as fresh and crisp as the day they were recorded.
1970-4.jpg

Tracklisting
• See See Rider
• Release Me
• Sweet Caroline
• Runaway
• The Wonder of You
• Polk Salad Annie
• Yesterday
• Proud Mary
• Let It Be Me

You are right this was the best Elvis album of the 70's.

Wed May 27, 2015 8:31 pm

With the other live tracks recorded during that season by RCA, they could have easily used February '70 tracks instead of the 2 songs from the previous season. It would have been great to hear Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy, Long Tall Sally and/or the All Shook Up opening had it been recorded.

Wed May 27, 2015 8:48 pm

elvis-fan wrote:With the other live tracks recorded during that season by RCA, they could have easily used February '70 tracks instead of the 2 songs from the previous season. It would have been great to hear Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy, Long Tall Sally and/or the All Shook Up opening had it been recorded.

True but these were songs on the album unrecorded by Elvis

Wed May 27, 2015 8:52 pm

promiseland wrote:My personal favorite, and possibly the best 70's Live LP release from Elvis' lifetime. Released on RCA Records LSP-4362
LP On Stage.jpg

1970-6.jpg
1970-4.jpg

Tracklisting
• See See Rider
• Release Me
• Sweet Caroline
• Runaway
• The Wonder of You
• Polk Salad Annie
• Yesterday
• Proud Mary
• Let It Be Me

Don't buy that, but good it is

Wed May 27, 2015 8:58 pm

Terrific album and performances but, in terms of set list, I enjoy more the Memphis concert album (which also features great singing).

Wed May 27, 2015 9:16 pm

I think it's his best 70s release, period. And apart from the 61 Hawaii show and the Little Rock & Tupelo shows from the 50s, it's his best live document.

Wed May 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Do you think that adding Kentucky Rain and Don't Cry Daddy and marketing like Elvis singing many 60's hits plus 2 of his own could have increased sales?

Wed May 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Terrific album but I prefer In Person.

Wed May 27, 2015 11:22 pm

promiseland wrote:It's simply one of the Greatest Live Rock 'n Roll LP's of All Time!

Not even close.

Wed May 27, 2015 11:57 pm

midnightx wrote:
promiseland wrote:It's simply one of the Greatest Live Rock 'n Roll LP's of All Time!

Not even close.

I would rather choose Jerry Lee Lewis' "Live At The Star Club" for that honor.

That said, I kinda like the "On Stage" album. Although they fooled us a little with the title and content :wink:

Thu May 28, 2015 12:20 am

robbie wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:With the other live tracks recorded during that season by RCA, they could have easily used February '70 tracks instead of the 2 songs from the previous season. It would have been great to hear Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy, Long Tall Sally and/or the All Shook Up opening had it been recorded.

True but these were songs on the album unrecorded by Elvis

Perhaps, but they would have been better suited for the "Elvis In Person" LP

Thu May 28, 2015 12:39 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Just after the smash hit of Suspicious Minds, here comes another great album produced by Felton Jarvis! 8). This is my favourite Elvis 70´s live album as well :smt020.

Love the back cover of this sleeve.

Elvis On Stage-February 1970. LSP-4362. Back cover.

This back cover was changed later on in 1983 with a complete different picture of Elvis on stage, this version is very hard to find. Bye for now :smt006.

Elvis On Stage-February 1970. AQL1-4362. Back cover.

Source: http://www.elvisrecords.com/aql1-4362-o ... uary-1970/

Thu May 28, 2015 1:15 am

This album has some strong performances but hardly definitive. Personal favorites are See See Rider, Wonder of You, Polk Salad Annie and Let It Be Me. But with 2 tracks from August 69, it was hardly On Stage February, 1970. The best live album of the 70's is the June 10, 1972 MSG performance if nothing more than because it was historic, it was a complete concert (despite repeated assertions it isnt ( i was there so i know)), and while not the strongest vocals evident on the On Stage and Mid South efforts, it is nearly a non stop hour filled with intensity, committment and a diverse selection of songs sufficient to wow the NY press. And the oldies were treated pretty well here, including Hound Dog which shook the building to the rafters. Of course, having been there i'm biased.