Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

August 16

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:36 pm

Let me tell you something. Last night I was in my old barn doing some “work” and blasting the `68 comeback special away. The grasshoppers were chirping and the dogs from miles away were barking and I was smoking some cigarettes and drinking some beers and feeling the late summer. And it felt like the whole creation was saying: a life well spent. No regrets. This guy, when he left, left behind something great that we all can enjoy for the rest of our lives. That`s good, right? Enough for one guy? So what I would like to know is, how did you spend & feel the aug 16th? Something Elvis?

Kind regards,
Timo

Re: August 16

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Playing the music and when it comes to Elvis that's what it should all be about.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:03 pm

Played my latest FTDs i picked up at Graceland sunday..Roustabout..Gold Records vol 4. Also blasted Speedway Ftd & disc 3 of A Boy from Tupelo. Finished the night off with the new clambake and Frankie & johnny blurays. I was in an Elvis movie mood..

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:13 pm

I followed some Elvis related shows on Dutch tv. 4 of them, to be precise. And then i played some ABFT and HGTA.

Mixed feelings, because of the stories of the other forum members. They had an impact on me. For me it was also a day remembering the fallen of ppl in my life, e.g. My little brother, my dad and my beautiful wife and ofcourse Elvis. Where noone stands alone helped me a great deal.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:18 am

epf wrote:I followed some Elvis related shows on Dutch tv. 4 of them, to be precise. And then i played some ABFT and HGTA.

Mixed feelings, because of the stories of the other forum members. They had an impact on me. For me it was also a day remembering the fallen of ppl in my life, e.g. My little brother, my dad and my beautiful wife and ofcourse Elvis. Where noone stands alone helped me a great deal.

Thank you for answering, friend. I really appreciate it. Where no-one stands alone truly is a touching and powerful song.

I wish all the best to you,

Timo

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 am

I was listenning to some of Elvis Albums , and at the evening i walked to the cinema to watch a 3 movies special , a documantry about his 1st albu, Thats the way it is and Elvis on Tour

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:40 am

california boy wrote:I was listenning to some of Elvis Albums , and at the evening i walked to the cinema to watch a 3 movies special , a documantry about his 1st albu, Thats the way it is and Elvis on Tour

Sheet, man. Now you gone and made me feel worthless... But anyways, absolutely fantastic!

Cheers,
Timo

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:08 am

Timo wrote:
epf wrote:I followed some Elvis related shows on Dutch tv. 4 of them, to be precise. And then i played some ABFT and HGTA.

Thank you for answering, friend. I really appreciate it. Where no-one stands alone truly is a touching and powerful song.

Timo

Thanks, man. I had mixed feelings yesterday, because of the day it was yesterday. Today i feel fine, personally. Tis not like i am crying each day, but with festive like X- mass and 'celebrations' like the 16th, it is a different cookie.

Thanks for your kind words, appreciated.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 am

epf wrote:
Timo wrote:

Timo

Thanks, man. I had mixed feelings yesterday, because of the day it was yesterday. Today i feel fine, personally. Tis not like i am crying each day, but with festive like X- mass and 'celebrations' like the 16th, it is a different cookie.

Thanks for your kind words, appreciated.

Well I just want you to know that you have a friend here in Finland. That`s all.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:00 am

I watched 'that's the way it is: special edition' on blu-ray with my Mum, Dad and Brother. We all loved it, I hadn't seen it in a while and it was just superb. I love every performance Elvis does both in rehearsal and on stage. My favourite live performances from the film are 'polk salad Annie', 'just pretend', and 'suspicious minds', these performances really showcase Elvis' amazing voice and charisma.

I then watched my favourite performances from various DVD's, such as 'bridge over troubled water' from 'On tour' and 'unchained melody' from 'great performances'.

I think I might watch the Aloha rehearsal show over the weekend, I haven't seen that one either for a while.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:18 pm

flamingstar81 wrote:I watched 'that's the way it is: special edition' on blu-ray with my Mum, Dad and Brother. We all loved it, I hadn't seen it in a while and it was just superb. I love every performance Elvis does both in rehearsal and on stage. My favourite live performances from the film are 'polk salad Annie', 'just pretend', and 'suspicious minds', these performances really showcase Elvis' amazing voice and charisma.

I then watched my favourite performances from various DVD's, such as 'bridge over troubled water' from 'On tour' and 'unchained melody' from 'great performances'.

I think I might watch the Aloha rehearsal show over the weekend, I haven't seen that one either for a while.

Thank you. I have a similar experience with TTWII (and On tour for that matter): watching it after a long break really intensifies the effect. It`s like: wow, I didn`t remember it was this great. With the `68 special I KNOW it`s going to be great, but I sometimes forget that he did some wonderful things even after that, right up until the end. About the TTWII special edition: A lot of things has been said about it, but I think they have done excellent job in emphasizing the interaction between Elvis and the band / singers, as well as his professionalism and control in putting the show together. My only complaint is that the dvd didn`t include I just can`t help believing. In my opinion that was a major cock-up.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Timo wrote:
flamingstar81 wrote:I watched 'that's the way it is: special edition' on blu-ray with my Mum, Dad and Brother. We all loved it, I hadn't seen it in a while and it was just superb. I love every performance Elvis does both in rehearsal and on stage. My favourite live performances from the film are 'polk salad Annie', 'just pretend', and 'suspicious minds', these performances really showcase Elvis' amazing voice and charisma.

Thank you. I have a similar experience with TTWII (and On tour for that matter): watching it after a long break really intensifies the effect. It`s like: wow, I didn`t remember it was this great. With the `68 special I KNOW it`s going to be great, but I sometimes forget that he did some wonderful things even after that, right up until the end. About the TTWII special edition: A lot of things has been said about it, but I think they have done excellent job in emphasizing the interaction between Elvis and the band / singers, as well as his professionalism and control in putting the show together. My only complaint is that the dvd didn`t include I just can`t help believing. In my opinion that was a major cock-up.

Yes, the special edition of TTWII is really great, I too wish they had included a few more live performances. Songs such as, I just can`t help believing and bridge over troubled water would of been great additions, especially as Elvis is seen rehearsing these songs. It's good that we have them in the original film but it would have been nice to have them in the revised version. Hopefully, one day we will get an ultimate edition with lots more rehearsal and live footage, maybe it could happen in 2020 for the 50th anniversary of the film?

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:06 pm

Timo wrote:Let me tell you something. Last night I was in my old barn doing some “work” and blasting the `68 comeback special away. The grasshoppers were chirping and the dogs from miles away were barking and I was smoking some cigarettes and drinking some beers and feeling the late summer.

That's great that you were enjoying Elvis, the critters, the season and all of that. Why, though, would you leave out one very important detail? When listening to the '68 Special and drinking beer, it is vital that we know the kind of beer consumed. While I can appreciate the chirping grasshoppers (pretty sure they were crickets) and barking dogs, I feel shunned because of the lack of information of the alcoholic beverage involved. Please correct this going forward.

Thanks in advance.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:19 am

There were some nice documentaries and tributes on Dutch tv that I saw. I felt it more than I thought I would. Mostly gratitude for all he gave us. So more emotional than I thought. Right now I drive 3 hours a day to get to work and back, so I was able to listen to plenty of Elvis. I also like how the tone on this forum has calmed for this time, I guess we feel our connection during this time and respect for our man.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:43 am

I watched Jailhouse Rock with the wife,very nice evenings viewing with a couple of glasses of Jack Daniels raised in honor of the man himself.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:52 am

I actually watched "Tickle Me" tonight.

There was no beer consumption, though.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:33 am

Just another day listening to Elvis.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:35 am

I was at the FedEx Forum in Memphis watching Elvis with my favorite person in the world, my daughter. A great time.