Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"sirius"-ly uninformed

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:34 am

Listening to Elvis Radio on Sirius XM in my car today and the DJ said "here is a song that has no video...an early release and a favorite of Elvis' Mom"- He then played "Baby. Let's Play House"

No video? Really? Ever heard of the Dorsey Brothers Stage Show? Seems to me there actually is a kinescope of Elvis singing this song from there.

Sometimes it makes you wonder why such things can slip by when these people are submersed in Elvis 24 hours a day.

It seems to me that they need to contact some knowledgeable fans (like those on this board) to proof anything they say or try to palm off as facts.

Also, an in the know fan could help them keep the playlist fresh-- they play the same stuff over and over and ignore many gems.

Just venting a bit I guess- but it drives me batty sometimes.

Re: "sirius"-ly uninformed

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:42 am

Greybeard wrote:Listening to Elvis Radio on Sirius XM in my car today and the DJ said "here is a song that has no video...an early release and a favorite of Elvis' Mom"- He then played "Baby. Let's Play House"

No video? Really? Ever heard of the Dorsey Brothers Stage Show? Seems to me there actually is a kinescope of Elvis singing this song from there.

Sometimes it makes you wonder why such things can slip by when these people are submersed in Elvis 24 hours a day.

It seems to me that they need to contact some knowledgeable fans (like those on this board) to proof anything they say or try to palm off as facts.

Also, an in the know fan could help them keep the playlist fresh-- they play the same stuff over and over and ignore many gems.

Just venting a bit I guess- but it drives me batty sometimes.

I'll bet that announcer is under thirty, and probably not as much a fan as someone trying to make a living on Sirius. But I agree, a dedicated channel should get its facts right.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:40 am

A dedicated fan (me) cannot listen to that station for any length of time. It can be on and they might play Mystery Train and follow it with I Love Only One Girl. I swear they play the 1971 My Way every other hour and they're not afraid to play the 1976 concerts, I'm sorry to say. Oh well. Too much of a good thing isn't always good.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 am

Most of the announcers are seasoned DJs if I'm not mistaken, but they (or whoever writes the notes) is terribly unknowledgeable. "Here's Down in the Alley from the movie Spinout", etc.

The audio quality seems to be lesser than on other channels... and I really don't need to hear George Klein drone on with Jerry Chestnut or some other relatively uninteresting member of the "Elvis world" for two hours of sleep-inducing interview when I tune in to hear Elvis!

One of the reasons I dropped Sirius.

Axe

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:04 am

Love Elvis Radio. It's all about the music, all the music. Who cares if they make a mistake. :smt006

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:12 am

steve in SC wrote:Love Elvis Radio. It's all about the music, all the music. Who cares if they make a mistake. :smt006

That's a fairly significant mistake, especially when his performance on the Dorsey show of this particular song was great and the song is considered a classic by many.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:16 am

stevelecher wrote:A dedicated fan (me) cannot listen to that station for any length of time. It can be on and they might play Mystery Train and follow it with I Love Only One Girl. I swear they play the 1971 My Way every other hour and they're not afraid to play the 1976 concerts, I'm sorry to say. Oh well. Too much of a good thing isn't always good.

Is the PD midnightx?

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:35 am

I have Sirius XM for Howard Stern... and that's about it.
I listen to Elvis Radio the odd time... like last week when they had Peter Guralnick on as guest DJ.
I still don't know where they got the Elvis Medley from that I've heard played on there... as it hasn't been released on CD in any official capacity...

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:38 am

Joe Car wrote:
steve in SC wrote:Love Elvis Radio. It's all about the music, all the music. Who cares if they make a mistake. :smt006

That's a fairly significant mistake, especially when his performance on the Dorsey show of this particular song was great and the song is considered a classic by many.

along with the sirius sound quality just sucks, plain and simple. I ditched it a couple of yrs ago.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:17 am

stevelecher wrote:A dedicated fan (me) cannot listen to that station for any length of time. It can be on and they might play Mystery Train and follow it with I Love Only One Girl. I swear they play the 1971 My Way every other hour and they're not afraid to play the 1976 concerts, I'm sorry to say. Oh well. Too much of a good thing isn't always good.

You should try the My SXM option when listening to the station via the internet. You can set it up to play a ton of rarities and vary the time period emphasis and movie songs with a few clicks. It it like putting your FTDs on random.

I do agree that the 1971 My Way master is played way too much.
Last edited by Mike C on Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:06 am

elvis-fan wrote:I still don't know where they got the Elvis Medley from that I've heard played on there... as it hasn't been released on CD in any official capacity...

http://www.elvisoncd.com/frame.htm?http ... medley.htm
http://www.elvisoncd.com/frame.htm?http ... njapan.htm

THE ELVIS MEDLEY (FLAC)

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:26 am

JimmyCool wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I still don't know where they got the Elvis Medley from that I've heard played on there... as it hasn't been released on CD in any official capacity...

http://www.elvisoncd.com/frame.htm?http ... medley.htm
http://www.elvisoncd.com/frame.htm?http ... njapan.htm

THE ELVIS MEDLEY (FLAC)

It has also been released by BMG on the Readers Digest multi Elvis CD set.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:28 am

Joe Car wrote:

Now here, I disagree. I'm not too upset that a DJ didn't know that on the bootleg market, there is a 1956 performance of Baby, Let's Play House available from a very obscure (today) television program. He is right, there is no video of the 1955 record and he didn't know about this nearly 60 year old kinescope.

Down In The Alley, from the movie Spinout, is a little more careless, IMO.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Is the PD midnightx?

:lol:

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:24 pm

You can't expect too much "facts" from radio stations....

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:25 pm

You can't expect too much "facts" from radio stations....

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:49 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I have Sirius XM for Howard Stern... and that's about it.

Ditto :smt023

And I say this with peace and love . . .

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:54 pm

stevelecher wrote:
Joe Car wrote:

Now here, I disagree. I'm not too upset that a DJ didn't know that on the bootleg market, there is a 1956 performance of Baby, Let's Play House available ...

did not know that the "elvis 56" dvd is a bootleg.
it is not.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 pm

You cannot expect factual information from journalism in general.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:49 am

The "DJ's" on that station are pretty lame. Fake enthusiasm and constantly talking over the beginning of songs (this ain't the '50's anymore). I was a DJ in the '80's and talking over a record was a no-no even then.

Poor GK, time to retire man.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:55 am

rocknroll wrote:The "DJ's" on that station are pretty lame. Fake enthusiasm and constantly talking over the beginning of songs (this ain't the '50's anymore). I was a DJ in the '80's and talking over a record was a no-no even then.

Poor GK, time to retire man.

Do you mean talking over the instrumental intro of the record? That was a no-no in the 80s. How come?

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:40 am

matilda wrote:
stevelecher wrote:
Joe Car wrote:

Now here, I disagree. I'm not too upset that a DJ didn't know that on the bootleg market, there is a 1956 performance of Baby, Let's Play House available ...

it is not.

Wasn't it also on one of the "Great Performances" DVDs? I can't remember, honestly.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:03 am

JamieAKelley wrote:
matilda wrote:
stevelecher wrote:
Joe Car wrote:

it is not.

Wasn't it also on one of the "Great Performances" DVDs? I can't remember, honestly.

No, Great Performances Volume 1 had "Money Honey". Volume 2 had Shake, Rattle and Roll/Flip, Flop and Fly.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:37 am

I don't even remember if the song is complete on Elvis 56. I still am not surprised a relative non fan would not know about the existence of a 1956 performance from the Dorsey shows.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:49 am

it is complete there.