Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Leon Russell sings Elvis!

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:03 pm

Saw Leon Russell last night and it was a great, great show! The lights went down, he limped out with not introduction and launched into "I Got A Woman." When the song was over he said, "That was Elvis' version of I Got A Woman. I'm a big Elvis fan!" He then went into a story about meeting Elvis. He said,

"I went to see Elvis when he was playing in Las Vegas. After the show I was invited up to his room to meet him. I was very excited! When I met him, I blurted out: "Why did you make all those stupid movies?" I couldn't believe I said that and felt so embarrassed. Elvis said, "Last thing I remember I was driving a truck!" So now every time I say something stupid, I think of Elvis."

It was a great show of music and stories. One of the best shows I've ever been to.

Re: Leon Russell sings Elvis!

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 pm

So he meets Elvis for the first and only time in his life and all he can think of to say is "Why did you make all those stupid movies?"
I bet it was quick meeting...

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Another guy Elvis should have collaborated with musically. Leon is highly regarded in the music business for many years and his stupid remark was just that stupid, but also showed love in a way. All fans who loved Elvis in the 60's knew those stupid movies took away some prime years of possible legendary studio work and I think Leon was just thinking out loud and reflected that loss in a way. His 2010 album with Elton John is great.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 pm

r&b wrote:Another guy Elvis should have collaborated with musically.
Yes! And he was a fan. Here's a great song where he mention's Elvis Presley, and his hair! LOL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE0zJr3H0D4

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:00 am

r&b wrote:Another guy Elvis should have collaborated with musically. Leon is highly regarded in the music business for many years and his stupid remark was just that stupid, but also showed love in a way. All fans who loved Elvis in the 60's knew those stupid movies took away some prime years of possible legendary studio work and I think Leon was just thinking out loud and reflected that loss in a way. His 2010 album with Elton John is great.

It was great to see Leon Russell working with Elton John a few years ago. The Union is a very good album and found much success on the charts, being one of Russell's highest charting albums, and also one of Elton's. Russell has covered some of the same musical ground as Elvis over the years, with good versions of I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues, Danny Boy, and Heartbreak Hotel, which Leon and Willie Nelson had a country No. 1 hit with in 1979. I think Elvis could have recorded a fine version of Leon's much loved and oft recorded, A Song for You.

phpBB [video]