Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Just Pretend (released 1991-first Fort Baxter release ever) was the first Live bootleg show I got on CD...I remember that I was stunned by the sound quality and the voice of Elvis...maybe the best How Great Thou Art version ever in that show...

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:58 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:Closing Night September 3, 1973 in Vegas...Interesting show...I have the feeling that Elvis thought that it would be his last Vegas show ever, but it turned out otherwhise...

Yes. That's what many people don't take into account when talking about or reviewing this show. His Vegas contract was finished, he was glad to stop playing it and it is very likely wanted to embark on a non-US tour. He was also pissed off with the Hilton Hotel themselves over various things, one thing being them sacking a favourite chef of his. It appears he deliberately made a mockery of the show that night, he acted un-professionaly, but in a way I don't blame him as the Vegas contracts had become a monkey on his back (quite literally he parodied by wearing a monkey on his back on stage - a touch of genius I may add). He did a few other wacky things that night on stage, which by all accounts from the show were a thrill for the fans, as it wasn't your run-of-the-mill boring show - but overall he doesn't really put much effort into singing songs.

Of course Parker went mad at Elvis for such an un-professional show, but it was Elvis' way of telling the Colonel, telling the fans and telling the Hotel really what he thought. A few comments that night aswell he putsin song lyrics, he says something like goodbye Hilton Hotel during one song I recall - basically Elvis was glad to finally be quitting the 4 week long engagements and he was still inspired at this point to carry on with the success of Aloha and do bigger and better things.

Elvis career could still have been salvaged, but his drug abuse by this point hindered any hopes - and unfortunately he didn't go thru with his rebelling against the Colonel and wound up playing Vegas again in the new year - but only after comign close to death with his drug habits catching up on him. After that Vegas show - Elvis' career could've taken a totally different path if he'd succesfuly sacked Parker and not been so messed up on drugs at the time.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:07 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:it wasn't your run-of-the-mill boring show.

Do you think there are very many fans that actually saw Elvis in concert and thought, "That was a run-of-the-mill boring show"? Personally, I doubt it.

The September 3, 1973 show certainly wasn't "run-of-the-mill." While I'm sure there were people in the showroom that night who enjoyed the show, I find it quite embarrassing to listen to. I've played it twice...and more than likely won't again.

Lastly, I, for one, have never been bored listening to an Elvis show. Some shows were excellent, some were bad, but I've never been bored.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:13 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:A few comments that night aswell he putsin song lyrics, he says something like goodbye Hilton Hotel during one song I recall

To hell with the Hilton Hotel!
Love Me Tender. :wink:

Anyway, I'm listening to Raised On Vegas right now... 08.06.73 OS. My Boy fans rejoice as it's in this concert that he performs the very first live version of it!

Plus Raised On Rock and a great, rehearsed version of Memphis, Tennessee (why didn't he keep it on the setlist? Damn Elvis and his way of thinking/working sometimes...)!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:35 am

Last Concert was on The GR Hilton's All Shook Up - August 12, 1972 DS

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:24 pm

The Bicentennial King Volume 2 -- Seattle, WA, April 26, 1976.

Not a bad show, with very good versions of "Trying To Get To You" and "How Great Thou Art."

Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:43 pm

On The Road Again - Portland, OR 11/11/70

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 pm

Closing Show, September 1973 does feature one of the great HGTA versions, with two great reprises. He chastises the audience about finally appreciating his effort, though he previously had done nothing to deserve much applause. This and "First Time Ever," "Tiger Man," and "Softly," sans Sherrill, makes this a concert I'm glad to own and one I revisit occasionally.

Steve Lecher

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:11 am

I haven't listened to a full Elvis show in weeks. The other night I played a few selections from Boston Garden '71 and the first disc of Neveda Nights.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:24 am

FTD Unchained Melody Feb 1977

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:26 am

stevelecher wrote:Closing Show, September 1973 does feature one of the great HGTA versions, with two great reprises. He chastises the audience about finally appreciating his effort, though he previously had done nothing to deserve much applause.

That's the first thought that came to my mind when I first heard this show.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:26 am

..actually I think it was the Aloha show... or maybe the "I Found My Thrill" FTDas they played that one recently on Elvis Radio.

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:42 am

Rob wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:it wasn't your run-of-the-mill boring show.

Do you think there are very many fans that actually saw Elvis in concert and thought, "That was a run-of-the-mill boring show"? Personally, I doubt it.

The September 3, 1973 show certainly wasn't "run-of-the-mill." While I'm sure there were people in the showroom that night who enjoyed the show, I find it quite embarrassing to listen to. I've played it twice...and more than likely won't again.

Lastly, I, for one, have never been bored listening to an Elvis show. Some shows were excellent, some were bad, but I've never been bored.

No there aren't many but if you'd been to shows in 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972 then witnessed one of those dull-affairs during Jan/Feb 1973 at the Hilton - I would be very much inclined to have stated it a boring show. And there have been many times listening to an Elvis show I've got bored. He wasn't always on fire.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:49 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:And there have been many times listening to an Elvis show I've got bored.

If I ever get that way, I hope someone runs over me with a truck full of cement. Then I hope they back up and do it again just to make sure the job was accomplished.

Someone here please promise you'll do that for me?

Thanks in advance.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:51 am

Good Time Charlie:

Right on! Those February 1973 shows are boring. In the audience of a bad show, which I have experienced, I wasn't bored but I was frustrated and anxious that Elvis do something that would thrill me. At the concerts, the introductions could sure be boring.

Steve L.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 am

Rob wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:And there have been many times listening to an Elvis show I've got bored.

If I ever get that way, I hope someone runs over me with a truck full of cement. Then I hope they back up and do it again just to make sure the job was accomplished.

Thanks in advance.

Seriously? You find yourself entertained when spinning New Haven '76 or Dragonheart? Those are pretty difficult to get through.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 am

Rob wrote:On The Road Again - Portland, OR 11/11/70

You listen to alot of Elvis, doncha Rob ?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 am

Rob wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Cool.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:54 am

midnightx wrote:Seriously? You find yourself entertained when spinning New Haven '76 or Dragonheart? Those are pretty difficult to get through.

Never said I was entertained, Midnightx...certainly not. Just never bored.

There's a difference.

I usually find myself rooting for him to snap out of it on shows like you've mentioned.

minkahed wrote:You listen to alot of Elvis, doncha Rob ?

I get to sit down a couple of times a week and put the headphones on for an hour or two at a time.

That's my way of relaxing. Doesn't happen often enough.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:14 am

stevelecher wrote:Good Time Charlie:

Right on! Those February 1973 shows are boring. In the audience of a bad show, which I have experienced, I wasn't bored but I was frustrated and anxious that Elvis do something that would thrill me. At the concerts, the introductions could sure be boring.

Steve L.

That's understandable. What concerts have you attented Steve?

I'll explain why I singled out those early 1973 shows, and this applies to some shows at various other points in his career too, including prior to 1973. The reason they are boring is because Elvis himself is bored. He is not enjoying himself, in other shows, like for example the March '75 Vegas shows or the December 1976 tour - Elvis doesn't necesarilly sing, perform or look better, perhaps even quite contrary, but he is clearly enjoying himself and this radiated in his engagement in each song and then his rapport with the fans. Elvis in early 1973, is still giving a professional account of himself on the main, yet there's no excitement or overwhelming passion that can really make the listener enjoy it. It's not also I may add a real criticism of Elvis, because I can fully understand after giving those marathon Vegas engagements year after year, a hugely talented artist trapped in a cage almost, becoming very, very bored. The criticism is more towards the fact Elvis never pushed through with his plegde to quit the Vegas shows - which he should've done when his contract with the Hilton expired but in reality should've happened after the Aug/Sep 1970 engagement in all honesty.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:35 am

Good post Good Time Charlie and I agree with you about being bored because he's bored. I just wrote about my concert experiences on the "Opinion of Elvis as a Live Performer" thread. Check it out.

Thanks...

Steve L.

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listend To Was?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 am

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:This morning I played the "One Night In Vegas" disc in the car, a great way to start the day.

Oh, holy Mary!!!!!

Where's my nitroglycerin tablets??!!

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listend To Was?

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:22 am

Rob wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:This morning I played the "One Night In Vegas" disc in the car, a great way to start the day.

Oh, holy Mary!!!!!

Where's my nitroglycerin tablets??!!

Hold on there Rob. Maybe it was a CDR or on an iPod.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:48 am

Hawaii, 1961 as heard on the Silver Box CD 1 (1998) 8)

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:30 am

Rob wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this would help, but I am Italian and could perhaps arrange a pair of cement shoes, if and when you ever feel that way! :wink: :lol: