Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:56 pm

KevinK wrote:Aloha From Hawaii, last night.

I only put it on because I felt I *should* after finally buying the CD. I never had a copy of the soundtrack till recently, just the DVD. Very good sound IMO on the CD, but for me, Aloha has to be an Audio/Visual experience. The music alone, I find a bit tame in places, and Elvis' voice seems a bit too wobbly. Highlights for me are 'What Now My Love', 'I'll Remember You', 'My Way' and 'Burning Love'

I agree with the first three ones as being Aloha highlights but Burning Love can't hold a candle to some of his '75 versions like the one featured on "Keep The Fire Burning" 7-5-75, although it can't compete with the Aloha version in terms of sound. The Aloha rehearsal version from two days before is even worse, as Elvis forgets some of the words. He's obviously totally disinterested in the song and only gets it right during the main broadcast because he HAS to. That said, I look forward to a 2-cd Classic Album of both Aloha shows from FTD. The rehearsal never got a good cd release.

I would even rate the embryonal and imperfect Texas '72 and Greensboro '72 live versions over the tame Aloha ones. Damn, he must have tired quickly on that song during 1972, didn't even include it in his MSG shows! Somehow in 1975 Elvis re-discovered this song and sang it with more vigour than before. Some of those mysteries that might never be solved. He even sang it in 1976, although these versions on the whole or not as good as in 1975, and again Elvis often forgot some of the lines.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Listened to the FTD "One Night In Vegas" last night at work on my lunch hour.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:03 pm

James, I think you are overrating the 1975 renditions of Burning Love just a tad. They aren't any better than the Aloha take.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:16 am

As Recorded from MSG and Aloha...both from the Franklin Mint set, checking their quality and trying to determine the differences and improvements over the originals.Slight inprovements, no major overhauls...essential...maybe. Opinions differ.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:51 pm

midnightx wrote:James, I think you are overrating the 1975 renditions of Burning Love just a tad. They aren't any better than the Aloha take.

No I'm not, and yes the bulk of them are. Too bad YouTube removed my superior clip on YouTube of this version, as it included a great deal of positive comments from just about everybody. But here it is again in another form from someone else. If you can listen through the limitations of the not-so-good soundboard tape, you will hear a much more enthusiastic Elvis plus a better playing band on this song than in early 1973. Check out Jerry Scheff's bass work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB70AQ_VMXE

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:15 pm

At The Forum.
L.A., May 11, 1974 AS,,

::rocks

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:12 pm

Cleveland (Richfield), Ohio -- October 23, 1976

One of the better shows of the year.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:11 pm

2nd disc "viva las vegas' great show!! great sound!
before that Boston '71

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Cincinnati, November 11, 1971..

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:31 am

Las Vegas -- August 30, 1973 dinner show.

(Latest Straight Arrow release).

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Yesterday I listened to "Opening Night-January 1970". (Madison)

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Richmond Va 1972

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:32 pm

It was that 1975 concert on disc four of the "Elvis Aron Presley" silver box set.

I'm not much for collecting 70's live Elvis--is this considered to be "good" 1975 live Elvis? Because...well...while it sounded exciting for the fans who were there at the show, it's not anything I would play for anybody wanting an example of why Elvis's music continues to matter to people.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:33 pm

Both new Straight Arrow..both new Gravelroad Music..

..and Southbend, 30.9.74 ES..

::rocks

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:47 pm

The last full show I listened to was the Boston Garden show of 1971. "Proud Mary" was the highlight for me - killer!

Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:50 am

"Across The Saginaw" 3-5-77 and "Vegas Variety" 1-9-74 DS.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:22 am

Was playing some various FTD titles last night, and give some selections from this live release a spin:

Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:23 am

And what was your favorite track(s)?

Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:24 am

Rob wrote:And what was your favorite track(s)?

I found his stab at Reconsider Baby pretty enjoyable.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:56 am

Las Vegas - February 14, 1973 (You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - Straight Arrow).

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:22 am

The last live concert I listened to was today called Takin' Tahoe Tonight. on the FTD label. Not his best show but entertaining to say the least. Highlights are:Help Me Make It Through The Night, Steamroller Blues, Rock Medley with Shake Rattle And Roll, Suspicious Minds, Bridge Over Troubled Water, and Faded Love.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:49 pm

Yesterday and the day before I listened to Springtime Tours disc 1, The Final Homecoming, and different parts of other '76 soundboards in preparation for my 1976 topic:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57201

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:55 pm

College Pk, Maryland, September 27 1974 (Chaos in College Pk).

A better concert than the following night. Hope it (or some of the tracks) will surface on a soundbourd.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Closing Night September 3, 1973 in Vegas...Interesting show...I have the feeling that Elvis thought that it would be his last Vegas show ever, but it turned out otherwhise...

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Last night I listened to Fort Baxters "Just Pretend" and really enjoyed the show. Great sound for a soundboard and pretty good show, Elvis is in great voice!