Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:16 am

And was recorded by a member of this very board.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:57 am

Rob wrote:And was recorded by a member of this very board.

Pretty cool. I didn't know that. Who managed to get this quality recording more than 40 years ago?

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Our own FrankieRider2. Actually, I think it was his dad who recorded the show. There was a little controversy surrounding this release if I remember correctly.

Maybe he will read this and shed some light on it for us.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Rob wrote:Our own FrankieRider2. Actually, I think it was his dad who recorded the show. There was a little controversy surrounding this release if I remember correctly.

That's right:
FrankieRider2 wrote:No, that is the original tape that my father used to tape the Phoenix concert in 1973; the concert was on his birthday April 22.

The reason you can get it on CD now is someone traded me some other audience cassette recordings without mentioning their intent a few years back.... and I was too naive to even think the tape might ever be used for commercial purposes, being incomplete and all. Looking back, the excitement that was issued forth to me and the trade terms (4 shows for 1) should have thrown up some flags since the Easter Sunday Phoenix concert was not available on any other listed online source at the time.

You live and learn, I suppose.

As for the tape quality, we live in a small Arkansas town.... and this was pre-Wal-Mart days. Back then the only choices around here you had for any kind of stereos, records, tapes, etc., were Sears, Western Auto, OTASCO, and one local record store called Platter Inn. So Sears it was.... sorry.

viewtopic.php?uid=7230&f=1&t=37851

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Thank you for the update.

I had forgotten all of the details.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:34 am

Thanks for the retrospection. I think those type of things did happen more than once in the past.
Otherwise I've got to admit that I really like the concert and the soundquality is quite decent.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 am

...I love both of these cds, geat job FTD!

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:38 am

I've always thought EP is quite lackluster on the Takin Tahoe FTD. Haven't listened to it since I got it.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:43 am

stevelecher wrote:I've always thought EP is quite lackluster on the Takin Tahoe FTD. Haven't listened to it since I got it.

I prefer to think if him as 'laidback' haha, after all this show was a tag on concert at the end of a long engagement due to overwhelming demand.

I think its a joy to be able to listen to this show from Tahoe, I believe it is the earliest released Tahoe show on soundboard.(not 100% sure)

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:46 am

JimmyCool wrote:
Rob wrote:Our own FrankieRider2. Actually, I think it was his dad who recorded the show. There was a little controversy surrounding this release if I remember correctly.

That's right:
FrankieRider2 wrote:No, that is the original tape that my father used to tape the Phoenix concert in 1973; the concert was on his birthday April 22.

The reason you can get it on CD now is someone traded me some other audience cassette recordings without mentioning their intent a few years back.... and I was too naive to even think the tape might ever be used for commercial purposes, being incomplete and all. Looking back, the excitement that was issued forth to me and the trade terms (4 shows for 1) should have thrown up some flags since the Easter Sunday Phoenix concert was not available on any other listed online source at the time.

You live and learn, I suppose.

As for the tape quality, we live in a small Arkansas town.... and this was pre-Wal-Mart days. Back then the only choices around here you had for any kind of stereos, records, tapes, etc., were Sears, Western Auto, OTASCO, and one local record store called Platter Inn. So Sears it was.... sorry.

viewtopic.php?uid=7230&f=1&t=37851

Thank you for the background on this cd, I quite enjoy it myself... I'm still hoping that a soundboard will be released from a '73 on tour show one day.

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:34 am

JEFF d wrote:Image

JEFF d
EP fan

+1
Dixieland rock shows Elvis in great form and real good mood, it is among my fav. concerts.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:58 am

alanfalk wrote:
JEFF d wrote:Image

JEFF d
EP fan

+1
Dixieland rock shows Elvis in great form and real good mood, it is among my fav. concerts.

Mine too, for those very same reasons, and the sound quality is excellent for a soundboard recording.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Uniondale,New York. July 19 1975.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:29 pm

stevelecher wrote:I've always thought EP is quite lackluster on the Takin Tahoe FTD. Haven't listened to it since I got it.

I agree. This is a release I've rarely returned to.

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Right now.. Listening to dinner show, Las Vegas, 22nd August 1969..... For the first time, just got it in the post this morning.... :D

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

"Let Me Take You Home" , Memphis 1975 , great show!

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:35 pm

walk that lonsome road - closing show - sept.4 1972

::rocks

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 pm

August 16 1972- Las Vegas - Midnight Show...

Really good show. I don't think i have heard a bad show from this engagement. Its a no nonsense show. Elvis does not start talking until after "Polk Salad Annie". he does not intro himself he just says that his name is all over the front of the hotel as well as the walls and the ceilings.:) funniest part of the show is when he is bending over doing the intro to "Hound Dog" and some girl shouts out "Shake It!!!" and Elvis replies..."Honey, hang on until the end of the show and we'll shake it". The highlights are "Polk Salad Annie", "What Now My Love", "I'll Remember You", "My Way", "American Trilogy". pretty good sound too.

See See Rider
Johnny B Goode
Proud Mary
Until It's Time For You To Go
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
You've Lost That Lovin Feeling
Polk Salad Annie
(instrumental break)
What Now My Love (with 3 False Starts)
Fever
Love Me
Blue Suede Shoes
Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
Love Me Tender (1 false start)
Little Sister/Get Back
Hound Dog
I'll Remember You
Suspicious Minds
-Band Intros-
My Way
A Big Hunk Of Love
American Trilogy
Can't Help Falling In Love

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:37 pm

i agree with you on this listening to this now

See See See Rider - It lacks energy, while the band is on fire, Elvis clearly isnt, his voice is not very strong on this version

I Got A Woman-Amen - A Fair version, Elvis seems to enjoy hisself. But its not very strong, as the song processes elvis gets a little more energy into it.

Help Me Make It Through The Night - quite rare for the time, especially after the first 2 songs. elvis jokes a bit in the beginning. Elvis again gives a fair version, It's ok. but there are alot of versions better then this one, also he sings/jokes ''help us make it throught this night, we don't wanna be alone''

Steamroller Blues - ''I'm a steamroller mother'' Elvis and the band deliver a great version of this song.

You Gave Me A Mountain - Great version, But then again, this is a song elvis almost always did well.

Love Me - Well.. Most versions after 1972 are trowaways, this is one of them, Elvis jokes around even saying ''What am i singing?'' ''Behave james'' ''I will beg and steal, steal and beg'' Not very interesting.

Blue Suede Shoes - This already became a trowaway in 1970 to be honest, even during the filming of TTWII, elvis did short versions that ran for only 50 seconds. (Except for the one they used in the movie, with the guitar solo, and the medley versions in sep/nov 1970 ). But in 1970 Atleast his voice sounded good on the song. But after 1970, It was just a trowaway, just like this one.

Rock Medley (Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On/Mama Don't Dance/Shake Rattle And Roll/Flip Flop And Fly/Shake Rattle And Roll/Whole Lotta Shaking Goin On- Good version, altough again elvis doesnt sound very strong, He does put a bit of effort in there. Elvis even cusses ''To save your G'damn soul'' during the Shake Rottle And Roll part.

My Way - Beautiful version, with the Violin still prominent in the song, but elvis does get lost for a moment during ''But Through it all.. when mmhmmmhmm'' before continueing the song.

Hound Dog - it's a slow (but actually fast) and fast (Even faster) version, don't run for more then 1 minute and 13 seconds Trowaway version, the moment it goes over in the faster tempo.

What Now My Love - Elvis delivers some great versions after aloha, but the May and August versions where a tad to fast for my taste. Nonetheless Elvis delivers a great version. ''What now my love, now that you've left me''.

Suspicious Minds - Well.. Also this song is a trowaway like most versions after 1972. It lacks all power. I dare say.. The August '75 version is stronger then this. its funny thou when elvis sings ''We're caught in a trap, A Weirdo Trap!''.

Introductions - doesn't count as a song ofcoarse, At this point the introductions didnt went on for 10 minutes. Again elvis cusses ''G'damn Joe Quercio''

I'll Remember You - Has a false start, and elvis sings an excerpt of ''Alfie''. Then the song starts again and its not very serious its funny thou he sings ''i'll remember you, long after this long morning is through, I'll be ho--lonely oh so lonely *laughs* ''living only, The sun is coming up! THE SUN IS COMING UP!, somebody do something!''. This performance is good for laughs but really not serious.

I Can't Stop Loving You - A bell can be heard before Glen starts the piano intro. Then elvis makes a funny sound (probably because he was still drinking). Not very serious again, altough as the song progresses elvis does attack it in parts and gets more serious.

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Not done much until the August season. Great version, done seriously, and with elvis in great voice. He even does a reprise!.

Then elvis calls out for ''The Impossible Dream!''.. How great would it have been to have heard this. But yet the band forgot about it.. And after calling out for it a few times, elvis accepts it.

Funny How Time Slips Away - Elvis calls out for funny how time slips away instead. And it's a not rushed version, And quite nice, and a nice change in the setlist.

Again elvis calls out for ''The Impossible Dream'' charlie says ''We can't do that one''...

It's Over - Elvis does this one instead, with the band obviously not prepared for this, elvis says ''Ronnie You got the lead!''. it's a decent version altough elvis again forgot some of the words.

Release Me - A short but fun excerpt, done in a higher key then usually, elvis laughs a bit through it. A nice shorty! nothing special, just alot of fun ''To life... G'damn thats high..a lie would be a sin''.

Faded Love - The second live version!. The band does it to fast.. then elvis says its to slow.. then they get the perfect tempo to it ,and deliver a good version!.

Can't Help Falling In Love - standart live versions, not good not bad.. Fair to say. (During the closing vamp that cowbell can be heard again! Three Times!)
----------------------------

conclusion: an okay show, certainly not the best, because elvis forgets the words or doesnt deliver enough energy. But an enjoyable show nonetheless from a good season. I hope ftd releases another soundboard from this show somewhere this year. One can't have enough Lake Tahoe shows on soundboard.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:

See See See Rider - It lacks energy, while the band is on fire, Elvis clearly isnt, his voice is not very strong on this version

I Got A Woman-Amen - A Fair version, Elvis seems to enjoy hisself. But its not very strong, as the song processes elvis gets a little more energy into it.

Help Me Make It Through The Night - quite rare for the time, especially after the first 2 songs. elvis jokes a bit in the beginning. Elvis again gives a fair version, It's ok. but there are alot of versions better then this one, also he sings/jokes ''help us make it throught this night, we don't wanna be alone''

Steamroller Blues - ''I'm a steamroller mother'' Elvis and the band deliver a great version of this song.

You Gave Me A Mountain - Great version, But then again, this is a song elvis almost always did well.

Love Me - Well.. Most versions after 1972 are trowaways, this is one of them, Elvis jokes around even saying ''What am i singing?'' ''Behave james'' ''I will beg and steal, steal and beg'' Not very interesting.

Blue Suede Shoes - This already became a trowaway in 1970 to be honest, even during the filming of TTWII, elvis did short versions that ran for only 50 seconds. (Except for the one they used in the movie, with the guitar solo, and the medley versions in sep/nov 1970 ). Atleast his voice sounded good on the song. But after 1970, It was just a trowaway.

Rock Medley (Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On/Mama Don't Dance/Shake Rattle And Roll/Flip Flop And Fly/Shake Rattle And Roll/Whole Lotta Shaking Goin On- Good version, altough again elvis doesnt sound very strong, He does put a bit of effort in there. Elvis even cusses ''To save your deleted - see guidelines #2 soul'' during the Shake Rottle And Roll part.

My Way - Beautiful version, with the Violin still prominent in the song, but elvis does get lost for a moment during ''But Through it all.. when mmhmmmhmm'' before continueing the song.

Hound Dog - it's a slow (but actually fast) and fast (Even faster) version, don't run for more then 1 minute and 13 seconds Trowaway version, the moment it goes over in the faster tempo.

What Now My Love - Elvis delivers some great versions after aloha, but the May and August versions where a tad to fast for my taste. Nonetheless Elvis delivers a great version. ''What now my love, now that you've left me''.

Suspicious Minds - Well.. Also this song is a trowaway like most versions after 1972. It lacks all power. I dare say.. The August '75 version is stronger then this. its funny thou when elvis sings ''We're caught in a trap, A Weirdo Trap!''.

Introductions - doesn't count as a song ofcoarse, At this point the introductions didnt went on for 10 minutes. Again elvis cusses ''deleted - see guidelines #2 Joe Quercio''

I'll Remember You - Has a false start, and elvis sings an excerpt of ''Alfie''. Then the song starts again and its not very serious its funny thou he sings ''i'll remember you, long after this long morning is through, I'll be ho--lonely oh so lonely *laughs* ''living only, The sun is coming up! THE SUN IS COMING UP!, somebody do something!''. This performance is good for laughs but really not serious.

I Can't Stop Loving You - A bell can be heard before Glen starts the piano intro. Then elvis makes a funny sound (probably because he was still drinking). Not very serious again, altough as the song progresses elvis does attack it in parts and gets more serious.

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Not done much until the August season. Great version, done seriously, and with elvis in great voice. He even does a reprise!.

Then elvis calls out for ''The Impossible Dream!''.. How great would it have been to have heard this. But yet the band forgot about it.. And after calling out for it a few times, elvis accepts it.

Funny How Time Slips Away - Elvis calls out for funny how time slips away instead. And it's a not rushed version, And quite nice, and a nice change in the setlist.

Again elvis calls out for ''The Impossible Dream'' charlie says ''We can't do that one''...

It's Over - Elvis does this one instead, with the band obviously not prepared for this, elvis says ''Ronnie You got the lead!''. it's a decent version altough elvis again forgot some of the words.

Release Me - A short but fun excerpt, done in a higher key then usually, elvis laughs a bit through it. A nice shorty! nothing special, just alot of fun ''To life... deleted - see guidelines #2 thats high..a lie would be a sin''.

Faded Love - The second live version!. The band does it to fast.. then elvis says its to slow.. then they get the perfect tempo to it ,and deliver a good version!.

Can't Help Falling In Love - standart live versions, not good not bad.. Fair to say. (During the closing vamp that cowbell can be heard again! Three Times!)

conclusion: an okay show, certainly not the best, because elvis forgets the words or doesnt deliver enough energy. But an enjoyable show nonetheless from a good season. I hope ftd releases another soundboard from this show somewhere this year. One can't have enough Lake Tahoe shows on soundboard.

Thank you for a really Nice review, idealy we all would do this when we list a concert, but little time + lazyness (in my case) prevents this :sosorry: . I will do better in the future , I promise ,cross my heart ...

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:55 pm

alanfalk wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Blue Suede Shoes - This already became a trowaway in 1970 to be honest, even during the filming of TTWII, elvis did short versions that ran for only 50 seconds. (Except for the one they used in the movie, with the guitar solo, and the medley versions in sep/nov 1970 ). Atleast his voice sounded good on the song. But after 1970, It was just a trowaway.

Rock Medley (Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On/Mama Don't Dance/Shake Rattle And Roll/Flip Flop And Fly/Shake Rattle And Roll/Whole Lotta Shaking Goin On- Good version, altough again elvis doesnt sound very strong, He does put a bit of effort in there. Elvis even cusses ''To save your deleted - see guidelines #2 soul'' during the Shake Rottle And Roll part.

Introductions - doesn't count as a song ofcoarse, At this point the introductions didnt went on for 10 minutes. Again elvis cusses ''deleted - see guidelines #2 Joe Quercio''

Release Me - A short but fun excerpt, done in a higher key then usually, elvis laughs a bit through it. A nice shorty! nothing special, just alot of fun ''To life... deleted - see guidelines #2 thats high..a lie would be a sin''.

Thank you for a really Nice review, idealy we all would do this when we list a concert, but little time + lazyness (in my case) prevents this :sosorry: . I will do better in the future , I promise ,cross my heart ...

Your forgivin! :lol: and thank you for the compliment.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:38 pm

I agree. nice delailed review. i never thought of doing it that in depth. Good job.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:32 am

Very nice review Johnny2523, I find this a nice relaxing and enjoyable show in which Elvis must of been very tired performing at 3AM and the third show that day. The standout song for me on this show is definitely bridge over troubled water, it's a wonderful performance.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:50 am

Thank you all, and yes i agree flaming star its a standout performance