Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Justin

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Post by Justin »

Not a full complete show but this one practically lives in my stereo:

Topic author
Rob

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listend To Was?

Post by Rob »

midnightx wrote:Hold on there Rob. Maybe it was a CDR or on an iPod.
This is Rob's wife. He had to be rushed to the hospital tonight. He was clutching his chest and mumbling something about an FTD in a car. I don't know what that means, but I'm sure the old sonofabitch will be back with you in no time.

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Stop tempting fate, Rob ! :D

James27

Post by James27 »

Kansas City Blues, still one of my all-time favorite shows from the later years, and 71 Summer Festival again, thx to Javilu's review. 8)

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

TCB-FAN

Post by TCB-FAN »

Rob wrote:
This is Rob's wife. He had to be rushed to the hospital tonight. He was clutching his chest and mumbling something about an FTD in a car. I don't know what that means, but I'm sure the old sonofabitch will be back with you in no time.

Rob has a wife ??

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

TCB-FAN wrote:
Rob wrote:

Rob has a wife ??
Yes, they locked eyes at an REO Speedwagon concert and never looked back.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

TCB-FAN wrote:Rob has a wife ??
Several, actually.

This one followed me home several years ago and now I can't get rid of her.

nikki_tcb

Post by nikki_tcb »

Yesterday while painting in my basement, Disc 2 of the Live in Las Vegas box. (slightly prior to that by approx. 60 min. Disc 1 of the same box...unfortunately, Dennis stole Larry's keyboards prior to the start of the show)

Last night while decorating the tree, it was the '57 Christmas album, on vinyl as it has been played every year since my first memory of decorating a Christmas tree...same vinyl album, still plays great. (One year I received as a Christmas gift from my Uncle Walt, the 8-track, "Elvis scares little children and then slaps the grownups too" or something to that effect and Mom gave me "From Elvis in Memphis" on vinyl. Can you guess which one got played the most on Christmas Day?

Nikki

bquick

Post by bquick »

"On Stage" Legacy Edition yesterday...Also listened to some of EIC since I recently learned here that the rhythm section was recorded in a studio and I wanted to check it out myself! Interesting stuff.

Question: is Spring Tours 77 all live? Or is there any dubbing from back then here as well? I am hoping to get this one for Christmas and I am actually interested to hear it, even knowing they are all 77 performances...

Rock Chalk, Jailhouse Rock, KU

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

bquick wrote:"On Stage" Legacy Edition yesterday...Also listened to some of EIC since I recently learned here that the rhythm section was recorded in a studio and I wanted to check it out myself! Interesting stuff.

Question: is Spring Tours 77 all live? Or is there any dubbing from back then here as well? I am hoping to get this one for Christmas and I am actually interested to hear it, even knowing they are all 77 performances...
FTD's Spring Tours is authentic - no overdubs. The best official representation of Elvis' final year on stage.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

bquick wrote:even knowing they are all 77 performances...
Don't let that stop you.

It's a pretty good release regardless of the year.

bquick

Post by bquick »

Rob wrote:
Don't let that stop you.

That is what I am hoping...especially since it is a compilation and not a single 77 show. I am interested to hear it regardless...and am hoping that without having to see Elvis in his physical state, I will be surprised by some of the vocal performances. There are a few decent tracks on EIC, though I am not one who would be interested in watching it on DVD.

Another question (not to get off topic): why did they overdub the EIC rhythm sections? I assume those parts were recorded live on multitrack? Was it just to spruce up the sound, or was there some sort of tape damage?

Rock Chalk, Jailhouse Rock, KU

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

bquick wrote:
Rob wrote:
Don't let that stop you.

That is what I am hoping...especially since it is a compilation and not a single 77 show. I am interested to hear it regardless...and am hoping that without having to see Elvis in his physical state, I will be surprised by some of the vocal performances. There are a few decent tracks on EIC, though I am not one who would be interested in watching it on DVD.

Another question (not to get off topic): why did they overdub the EIC rhythm sections? I assume those parts were recorded live on multitrack? Was it just to spruce up the sound, or was there some sort of tape damage?
It isn't entirely clear. It is believed that Felton didn't record specific instrumentation/orchestration with the idea of overdubbing later on. Joan Deary confirmed that certain things were purposely not captured on the multitracks. I suppose if Ernst ever issues the Rapid City show uncut on FTD, we'll know what Felton did and possibly did not record. Perhaps Felton was aware of how substandard the live shows were from the era and felt that he could tighten up some of the performances with new backing and bring out some energy with new orchestration if he was indeed going to have to piece together a mainstream live album. There has never been any indication there was tape damage.

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

Little Rock 16th May 1956

What a spellbinding half hour that is! The narrative takes you right there and the interview too. I wish there were loads more radio broadcasts like this available. The Tupelo shows have a similar story to tell with the little interview tidbits in between - makes for some fascinating listening!

TELL IT LIKE IT IS, SON!!! Excusez-moi monsieur ?
Image Image

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

"Dixieland Rocks" last night.

First time in ages I listened to an Elvis show. I was trying to get in the mood for the new "In The Heart of Georgia" soundboard which I ordered yesterday. Soundboards sound so much better since I bought my new stereo and my new speakers! There was nothing wrong with the ones I had before but these are on another level. I had fun playing "Dixieland Rocks", that's for sure. Elvis did a great job that night!

After a while it occured to me that the new Georgia show isn't that new after all -- I already have three songs, the highlights, I guess, on the "Southern Nights" FTD. Sigh. Well, it will be nice to add it to my collection regardless. But the bootleggers are having a rough time competing with FTD these days.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

James27

Post by James27 »

Yes it has been tough on them.. FTD is fighting them at much closer corners than they used to. The nicest bootlegs that came out fairly recently were Straight Arrow's Faded Love and YDHTSYLM and the Welcome To The Jungle series. The upcoming The Final Curtain will also be something to look forward to. I hope!

Spring Tours 77 is a nice album, even sceptical fans of Elvis' later years should give it a chance. It shows the decline and boredom, but also moments of brilliance and inspiration.
Bonus tracks from these officially recorded concerts could be released on a "Rapid City 77" cd by FTD. Some have already appeared on Springtime Tours '76-'77, so we know there is more material.
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:"Dixieland Rocks" last night.

First time in ages I listened to an Elvis show. I was trying to get in the mood for the new "In The Heart of Georgia" soundboard which I ordered yesterday. Soundboards sound so much better since I bought my new stereo and my new speakers! There was nothing wrong with the ones I had before but these are on another level. I had fun playing "Dixieland Rocks", that's for sure. Elvis did a great job that night!

After a while it occured to me that the new Georgia show isn't that new after all -- I already have three songs, the highlights, I guess, on the "Southern Nights" FTD. Sigh. Well, it will be nice to add it to my collection regardless. But the bootleggers are having a rough time competing with FTD these days.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

James27 wrote: Spring Tours 77 is a nice album, even sceptical fans of Elvis' later years should give it a chance. It shows the decline and boredom, but also moments of brilliance and inspiration.....
Which tracks feature the moments of brilliance and inspiration?

Image Image

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

James27 wrote:Yes it has been tough on them.. FTD is fighting them at much closer corners than they used to. The nicest bootlegs that came out fairly recently were Straight Arrow's Faded Love and YDHTSYLM and the Welcome To The Jungle series. The upcoming The Final Curtain will also be something to look forward to. I hope!

Spring Tours 77 is a nice album, even sceptical fans of Elvis' later years should give it a chance. It shows the decline and boredom, but also moments of brilliance and inspiration.
Bonus tracks from these officially recorded concerts could be released on a "Rapid City 77" cd by FTD. Some have already appeared on Springtime Tours '76-'77, so we know there is more material.
Brilliance and inspiration? That is taking things a bit far.

Considering the Spring Tours tracks were recorded for possible inclusion on Moody Blue, the classic album series of MB would be a better release to include the remaining, appropriate outtakes on.

midnightx wrote:The Spring Tours tracks were recorded for possible inclusion on Moody Blue and the classic album series of MB would be a better release to include the remaining, appropriate outtakes on.
That's where they'll be. I'm pretty sure of that.

Image Image

Topic author
ElvisOnTour

Post by ElvisOnTour »

Listened to The King Goes Banana's from September 3, 1973 Closing Show.
Very entertaining show, listening to Elvis joke with the audience, and then get serious when singing the highlights for me were My Boy, Help Me Make It Through The Night, and How Great Thou Art. Love the warm sound of this audience recordings, only bad thing is this is only on cdr apart from the FTD release. Still a fine show.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

midnightx wrote:Brilliance and inspiration? That is taking things a bit far.
Have you not heard Ronnie Tutt's powerful fills on this release?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

James27

Post by James27 »

Lawdy Miss Clawdy and Unchained Melody to name two.
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
James27 wrote: Spring Tours 77 is a nice album, even sceptical fans of Elvis' later years should give it a chance. It shows the decline and boredom, but also moments of brilliance and inspiration.....

Topic author
ElvisOnTour

Post by ElvisOnTour »

James27 wrote:Lawdy Miss Clawdy and Unchained Melody to name two.
I would add Bridge Over Troubled Water and My Way to that aswell.

James27

Post by James27 »

"My Way", although not his best version, is also very emotional and thus a worthwile inclusion. I also like Elvis' strumming on "That's All Right", which opens the album.
ElvisOnTour wrote:
James27 wrote:Lawdy Miss Clawdy and Unchained Melody to name two.
I would add Bridge Over Troubled Water and My Way to that aswell.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

ElvisOnTour wrote:Listened to The King Goes Banana's from September 3, 1973 Closing Show.
Very entertaining show, listening to Elvis joke with the audience, and then get serious when singing the highlights for me were My Boy, Help Me Make It Through The Night, and How Great Thou Art. Love the warm sound of this audience recordings, only bad thing is this is only on cdr apart from the FTD release. Still a fine show.
Personally, I think it's one of the worst shows I've ever heard, and I can't make myself listen to it again.

But you have fun, though.