Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

vinelvis

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Post by vinelvis »

elvisistheman wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
vinelvis wrote:I'm a little late, but last week I listened to the huntsville shows, because of the Huntsville 40 years ago topic.
Huntsville 75 is GREAT !!!
I really want to hear these shows! Being born and raised in Alabama (although not too close to Huntsville) is an element here, I admit, but they seem to be very good latter-day shows, and I always love those!
Those shows are great! ::rocks

SteamrollerBlues

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

December 28th and December 29th 1976 from the Showtime! FTD. I might get some flack for this, but imo, those are great shows.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

Listened too the January 26 1972 opening show last night. I remastered it a bit (source: Talk Of The Town)
http://www52.zippyshare.com/v/8XFU1nyw/file.html (download the file, the web player is crap sound quailty)

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

SteamrollerBlues wrote:December 28th and December 29th 1976 from the Showtime! FTD. I might get some flack for this, but imo, those are great shows.
I love those shows.

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

elvisistheman wrote:I just listened to one of my recent FTD purchases, "I Found My Thrill." Elvis is in really good voice on this disc! Strictly in terms of the power of his singing, this concert, and the bonus tracks, are almost as good, to me, as the Memphis 1974 live album! The sound quality of the FTD isn't the best, but the singing is mighty fine! He sounds happy, energized, and enthusiastic here!
I agree!

ORION

Post by ORION »

For my work-out tonight, I plopped a CD into my player that I haven't listened to in ages. Man was good to hear this show from the seemingly never-going to be released EOT shows. I had forgotten how good this show in Richmond was as well as this release from the Madison label. Gee those guys at Madison put out some mighty fine releases back in the day. Shame their well dried up so soon.. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

SteamrollerBlues wrote:December 28th and December 29th 1976 from the Showtime! FTD. I might get some flack for this, but imo, those are great shows.
I think that they are good shows. Great by '76 standards though! I listen to them from time to time.

elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

Boston Garden '71 FTD.

I have very mixed feelings about this concert. Does anyone else agree? The TCB band is certainly earning its name on this show; they are on fire! Elvis's singing is very good on certain songs, such as "How Great Thou Art," "Bridge Over Troubled Water," and "I Can't Stop Loving You." Overall, though, he seems to be taking it a bit easy during this show, joking around so much that it affects the quality of his performance, and sometimes interacting with the crowd so much (I'm surmising here; I don't actually know what he was doing at moments!) that he actually forgets to sing sometimes. The first time that I heard the disc, I was very disappointed, because I had read and heard mostly rave reviews of it. Now, I have a more positive opinion of it, but I still don't think that it is as great as the rock critic Jon Landau writes in his review. To my ears, it doesn't come close to the better 1970 Las Vegas shows or to the better 1972 shows. A decent show, very good in certain respects, but not great.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

listened to 'almost done folks' SA rex martin taped 1st September shows D/S + M/S...well sung and good shows enjoyable to listen too!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

A. C. van Kuijk

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

Elvis is not giving 100%, but he is in good voice and sings a nice selection of songs. I do not think anybody went home disappointed, especially because the King was not as overweight as recent reports portrayed him to be.

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

elvisistheman wrote:Boston Garden '71 FTD.

I have very mixed feelings about this concert. Does anyone else agree? The TCB band is certainly earning its name on this show; they are on fire! Elvis's singing is very good on certain songs, such as "How Great Thou Art," "Bridge Over Troubled Water," and "I Can't Stop Loving You." Overall, though, he seems to be taking it a bit easy during this show, joking around so much that it affects the quality of his performance, and sometimes interacting with the crowd so much (I'm surmising here; I don't actually know what he was doing at moments!) that he actually forgets to sing sometimes. The first time that I heard the disc, I was very disappointed, because I had read and heard mostly rave reviews of it. Now, I have a more positive opinion of it, but I still don't think that it is as great as the rock critic Jon Landau writes in his review. To my ears, it doesn't come close to the better 1970 Las Vegas shows or to the better 1972 shows. A decent show, very good in certain respects, but not great.
I thought excactly the same when I heard this! I heard there are some great November 1971 shows out there. But I wouldn't call this one great. I think the show is a little bit rushed. I can't really enjoy it.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

elvisistheman wrote:Boston Garden '71 FTD.

I have the same thoughts. It's probably my least played FTD

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

Recently I played selections from 3 of the earliest live CD's issued on the FTD label - Tuscon 76, One Night In Vegas and Dixieland Rocks.

Regarding the Boston 71 show, I was a little surprised how underwhelming it seemed as a whole, the last time I listened to that show.

elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

Thanks for the replies, vinelvis, Johnny2523, and goldbelt!

The Boston show isn't my least-played FTD (that would be Tucson '76), and again, there are parts of it that I like, but I'm honestly mystified as to why many Elvis fans consider this one an essential purchase. 1971 shows are definitely rare on CD, and so, collectors are happy to get any of them-- I understand that. However, I don't understand why many people seem to think that Elvis himself does a great job in this show. His performances are very inconsistent during his only concert, ever, in Boston.

karlos

Post by karlos »

''Here I Go Again'' _August 23rd '69 _Dinner Show
_D.A.E.359-5
this show rocks ::rocks :smt006

elvis1977br

Post by elvis1977br »

subir fotos a internet
May 7, 1975 Evening Show. Murfreesboro , very good show.

Life is messy
I feel like Elvis Presley
At a very early age
They put you in a cage
And they push you out on stage
Life is messy

Rodney Crowell - Life Is Messy

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

March 21st 1976 - A New Kind of Rhythm.
Great show, the new band additions seem to push elvis into giving a little bit more. Even the oldies sound okay!

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Johnny2523 wrote:March 21st 1976 - A New Kind of Rhythm.
Great show, the new band additions seem to push elvis into giving a little bit more. Even the oldies sound okay!
A good concert for the time period, although for the sound I prefer 'Holding Back The Years'.

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Just listened to 'Opening Night '75' ~ Good concert from a good season and with an interesting setlist !

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

elvisistheman wrote:Thanks for the replies, vinelvis, Johnny2523, and goldbelt!

The Boston show isn't my least-played FTD (that would be Tucson '76), and again, there are parts of it that I like, but I'm honestly mystified as to why many Elvis fans consider this one an essential purchase. 1971 shows are definitely rare on CD, and so, collectors are happy to get any of them-- I understand that. However, I don't understand why many people seem to think that Elvis himself does a great job in this show. His performances are very inconsistent during his only concert, ever, in Boston.
Setlist wise it's also one of the least intersting from that tour as there's no:

- It's Now Or Never
- Are You Lonesome Tonight
- Lawdy Miss Clawdy
- The Impossible Dream
- Mystery Train - Tiger Man
- Release Me
- Help Me Make It Trough The Night
- The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Still, it's a good show from a very good tour and I'm glad we have it on soundboard.

elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

StefanKock1 wrote:

Setlist wise it's also one of the least intersting from that tour as there's no:

- It's Now Or Never
- Lawdy Miss Clawdy
- The Impossible Dream
- Release Me

Still, it's a good show from a very good tour and I'm glad we have it on soundboard.
I agree on all counts, Stefan. It's a good but not great show. I am glad that it exists, and I did buy it last year and don't regret the purchase, but it's one of the shows that I listen to less often-- less often, definitely, than other truly great shows from '69-74.

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

Johnny2523 wrote:March 21st 1976 - A New Kind of Rhythm.
I agree! ::rocks

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

karlos wrote:''Here I Go Again'' _August 23rd '69 _Dinner Show
_D.A.E.359-5
this show rocks ::rocks :smt006
It sure does!

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

StefanKock1 wrote:

- It's Now Or Never
- Lawdy Miss Clawdy
- The Impossible Dream
- Release Me

I agree

charroman

Post by charroman »

Live Disc from the Young Man With The Big Beat and primarily the Vegas set. Audio quality on that really is great