Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

TICKLE ME - film information

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:30 pm

I know its not one of his best films but there does not seem to be much background information on the filming of this one (not even in the memphis mafia books)

Did Elvis get along with Jocelyn? .....any romance there?

Any rare photos on set?

Thanks

Kelvin

Re: TICKLE ME - film information

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:48 pm

In my opinion Tickle Me had good songs and not subpar material like before and after this movie. I imagine how in other movies he could sing Hound Dog instead of Slicin' Sand, Don't Be Cruel instead of Hey Little Girl or My Baby Left Me instead of Wheels of my Heels. I believe a soundtrack like this with Elvis singing his hits in a couple of movies (he had so many good songs until 1962) it could be a killer.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:36 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:In my opinion Tickle Me had good songs and not subpar material like before and after this movie. I imagine how in other movies he could sing Hound Dog instead of Slicin' Sand, Don't Be Cruel instead of Hey Little Girl or My Baby Left Me instead of Wheels of my Heels. I believe a soundtrack like this with Elvis singing his hits in a couple of movies (he had so many good songs until 1962) it could be a killer.

They used previously recorded material for this film only to save money on the budget and make more $$$$$........... Prob a Col Tom special!!!

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:49 pm

There is a book by Joe Tunzi which features plenty of rare photos and memorabilia.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:52 pm

Tony.. wrote:There is a book by Joe Tunzi which features plenty of rare photos and memorabilia.

Thanks Tony - must have missed that one

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:37 pm

It's an enjoyable film but I think it always looks strange seeing the 1965 Elvis singing songs from 1960 with high notes that he could no longer reach.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:41 pm

charro1971 wrote:It's an enjoyable film but I think it always looks strange seeing the 1965 Elvis singing songs from 1960 with high notes that he could no longer reach.

I wouldn't bet on that.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:41 pm

And isn't the rumour that ''I Feel That I've Known You'' was most likely recorded on set, aka a re-recording basically?.

phpBB [video]

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:20 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:And isn't the rumour that ''I Feel That I've Known You'' was most likely recorded on set, aka a re-recording basically?.

phpBB [video]

Not a rumor. You can hear it yourself on the clip you provided. The debate has been why was it done. No one knows.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:55 pm

Tickle Me is a film that's easy to be cynical about, although the reasons for its existence owe as much to the floundering Allied Artists' need for income as it does Tom Parker's designs on garnering greater profit participation through putting Elvis in increasingly cheap vehicles. Parker struck a deal with Allied Artists in November of 1963 to make a movie that would guarantee Elvis $600,000 plus $150,000 in expenses and 50% of the profits. A caveat of the contract was a budget of $1,500,000, whilst Parker also came up with the idea to use previously recorded songs instead of Elvis cutting a new soundtrack. This would save money and reduce expenses because there would be no need to secure the rights to material, commission songwriters or pay musicians. The songs chosen by Elvis were owned by him through Elvis Presley Music or Gladys Music, as listed by Tom Parker.

Parker also got involved in the film's marketing campaign, sending Elvis's gold Cadillac to the film's Atlanta premiere and commissioning fifty thousand publicity packages that would tie-in with the soundtrack and single releases, and earn around $500,000 in revenue by the end of 1965. Tickle Me began production on October 6th, 1964, and was originally titled Isle of Paradise. Production ended on November 24th, 1965, which was less than two weeks after Roustabout was released nationally. That same month Hal Wallis began looking for Elvis's next vehicle, with the intention of finding a character similar to Charlie Rogers. It was also reported in the press at this time (Memphis Press-Scimitar, Nov. 7th) that Joe Pasternak would soon be in Paris to meet with Brigitte Bardot to discuss her co-starring with Elvis in a film under the working title of The Kiss That Set the World on Fire.

Tickle Me was ultimately completed on time and under budget, at a cost of $1,480,000. According to Variety it was the 30th highest-earning film of 1965, with rentals of $3,400,000. This was a major boost for Allied Artists, who managed to remain in production for another year, although Tickle Me didn't, as some Elvis literature suggests, save the company. After 1966 they ceased production and became a distribution company for mainly foreign films, and whilst Tickle Me was the studio's third highest-earning film of all-time up to that point, it earned considerably less than El Cid's (1961) $12,000,000 and 55 Days at Peking's (1963) $10,000,000. The latter, however, cost $17,000,000 to produce and undoubtedly hurt the studio financially given that it lost $7,000,000. Allied Artists commenced film production in 1971, finding tremendous success with Cabaret (1972) and Papillon (1973).

Written by Elwood Ullman and Edward Bernds, who previously worked with The Three Stooges, Tickle Me has aspirations of being clever and funny, with Elvis playing a singing rodeo champion who is working on a ranch/health farm until the rodeo season commences. One may say this was a post-modern Elvis vehicle, that's borderline meta and fairly self-aware. But it's also very camp, suffers from poor choreography, has cheap sets, shoddy editing, dire lip-synching and some fluffed lines that managed to make the final cut. This is a poor movie by anyone's standards and ranks among Elvis's worst. Unfortunately, movies like Tickle Me, Kissin' Cousins and Harum Scarum showed complete contempt for audiences, lifted lumps out of Elvis's credibility in Hollywood and dented his appeal at the box office. It's not remotely smart or funny, with Elvis occasionally looking as though he's unable to keep a straight face, with nods and winks to the audience and breaking the forth wall doing nothing but highlighting just how vacuous this movie actually is. The acting is quite dismal from almost everyone involved, including Elvis, who occasionally gives the impression that he can't be bothered, doesn't know his lines and can't remember the lyrics to some fairly good songs. Jocelyn Lane was probably the least talented and most dour of Elvis's co-stars and is nothing more than eye candy here, although Julie Adams comes off better, affording her ranch owner some sex appeal in the absence of any intelligence. Adams, whose greatest claim to fame in Hollywood may have been in The Creature of the Black Lagoon (1954) - where she was carried off by the Creature - was in a different kind of horror film this time.

Directed with almost zero panache and little in the way of creativity, Norman Taurog's point and shoot style of directing is very much undone with so little to work with. He does try to bring some creativity, with the camp tone occasionally off-set by some clowning and very broad comedy. The fantasy sequence at Silverado, where Elvis/Lonnie becomes the Pan-Handle Kid, is an homage to Destry Rides Again (1939), a movie that Joe Pasternak wanted to remake during the sixties. Elvis may have been well-served playing the lead in that movie, especially when Pasternak seemed to have designs on making a good film with Elvis. He said in 1963 that Elvis was a "wonderful performer" but the films he starred in didn't do enough for him. He wanted a good script and a good co-star for Elvis, hence his interest in a Presley-Bardot project. But didn't achieve this with Girl Happy or Spinout. Whilst the quality of movies Elvis so easily lent himself to and the attitude of a manager who cared nothing about movie-making - just money - must have reflected badly on Elvis. When asked by Hedda Hopper, in January of 1965, what the forthcoming movie, "In My Harem", was about, Parker commented "I don't read scripts." "For the kind of money they're paying us, we can leave the problem of making pictures to them. All Elvis has to do is be there on time. He is. We just take the money as we work." That sums up Tickle Me pretty well.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:27 pm

What a despicable, but quite honest, line from the Colonel. Disgusting! Strangely, many like this, certainly more than Kissin' Cousins or Harum, and Elvis, in 1972, seemed to indicate he liked this one better than many.

Julie Adams is also known as the one defendant represented by Perry Mason who was found guilty. Of course, he cleared her before her death sentence was carried out.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm

stevelecher wrote:What a despicable, but quite honest, line from the Colonel. Disgusting! Strangely, many like this, certainly more than Kissin' Cousins or Harum, and Elvis, in 1972, seemed to indicate he liked this one better than many.

Julie Adams is also known as the one defendant represented by Perry Mason who was found guilty. Of course, he cleared her before her death sentence was carried out.

I think Tickle Me was just a film title that came to mind in that 1972 interview. I don't believe Elvis had any genuine affection for this movie.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:23 pm

Yes Greystoke, but IIRC he named it as one of his less bad films.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:39 am

I think you'll find that 'Isle Of Paradise' was an early title for 'Paradise Hawaiian Style', not Tickle Me ! In fact I remember as such, when first reports of the Hawaiian film came through.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 am

Prototype for Scooby Doo cartoons.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:21 am

Greystoke wrote:
stevelecher wrote:What a despicable, but quite honest, line from the Colonel. Disgusting! Strangely, many like this, certainly more than Kissin' Cousins or Harum, and Elvis, in 1972, seemed to indicate he liked this one better than many.

I think Tickle Me was just a film title that came to mind in that 1972 interview. I don't believe Elvis had any genuine affection for this movie.

If you listen to the interview, "Tickle Me" is a specifically cited as a noteworthy release. Elvis is far less kind about the rest.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:42 am

Tickle Me had been in the offing since 1959, when Hal Wallis announced that "Rodeo" would be Elvis's first film after the army. The name eventually got changed, and the film was eventually made for another studio, but Tickle Me is simply that film re-named. Quite how and why the change of studio came about is something I haven't worked out from reading the trade mags, but it's interesting that Taurog directed the film and probably would have done so had the film been made in 1960 for Paramount - he certainly seemed to jump around from studio to studio during the 1960s!

I have to admit I think the film is reasonably OK as a lightweight piece of fluff. The Scooby-Doo section goes on for too long, but otherwise it's harmless, the songs are decent, Elvis seems to be enjoying himself, and the whole thing looks like a masterpiece compared to the other Elvis films of 1965!

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:43 am

I like that it's campy. I would like to have heard the writers talk about the self-referential comments. This film passes judgement on the other films. And Elvis is clearly in on it, and even appears to be leading it. This is one film where we desperately need an outtakes/blooper reel to see what was going on. We really do.

He enjoyed sending up his films, and I think he hoped this would be one of the last of them - the last of this type. That was not so. I think after this, he really got depressed and down over the situation. It just didn't stop. By Clambake, I think he was almost ready to do what he pantomimed during "Confidence."

Fortunately, the Comeback began with some better records, and some passable and contemporary-looking films. Even in Stay Away, Joe, he doesn't look depressed. And the end of '67 wasn't a very happy time for him - but he just acted like he was doing a home movie and didn't worry about it. Just had fun with the guys and nothing more or less than that. The final ones are all passable and led into and overlapped the main event: the Special.

Somehow, he survived it. I guess the wedding was a good thing for him. He got scared when he became a father, but he got through it, and was happy. That helped him a great deal.

So I like Tickle Me because it was an attempt to jab at the films. It was never intended to have better production values - that would have spoiled the joke.

rjm

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:23 am

rjm wrote:I like that it's campy. I would like to have heard the writers talk about the self-referential comments. This film passes judgement on the other films. And Elvis is clearly in on it, and even appears to be leading it. This is one film where we desperately need an outtakes/blooper reel to see what was going on. We really do.

He enjoyed sending up his films, and I think he hoped this would be one of the last of them - the last of this type. That was not so. I think after this, he really got depressed and down over the situation. It just didn't stop. By Clambake, I think he was almost ready to do what he pantomimed during "Confidence."

Fortunately, the Comeback began with some better records, and some passable and contemporary-looking films. Even in Stay Away, Joe, he doesn't look depressed. And the end of '67 wasn't a very happy time for him - but he just acted like he was doing a home movie and didn't worry about it. Just had fun with the guys and nothing more or less than that. The final ones are all passable and led into and overlapped the main event: the Special.

Somehow, he survived it. I guess the wedding was a good thing for him. He got scared when he became a father, but he got through it, and was happy. That helped him a great deal.

So I like Tickle Me because it was an attempt to jab at the films. It was never intended to have better production values - that would have spoiled the joke.

rjm

Not to mention the profit margins for Allied Artists and Tom Parker. ;-)

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:17 am

Tony.. wrote:There is a book by Joe Tunzi which features plenty of rare photos and memorabilia.

The Tunzi Tickle Me paperback book, while out of print turns up regularly on Ebay and usually not too expensive

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:16 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greystoke wrote:

If you listen to the interview, "Tickle Me" is a specifically cited as a noteworthy release. Elvis is far less kind about the rest.

No, it's not. Elvis simply says that some of the movies he made were entertaining, "like Tickle Me or something like that . . . " is his exact words. That doesn't make it noteworthy, just plucked from memory.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:16 pm

It had Jocelyn Lane so it had to be good any way you look at it........or her.

Elvis' Sexiest Co-Star
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Greystoke wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:If you listen to the interview, "Tickle Me" is a specifically cited as a noteworthy release. Elvis is far less kind about the rest.

No, it's not. Elvis simply says that some of the movies he made were entertaining, "like Tickle Me or something like that . . . " is his exact words. That doesn't make it noteworthy, just plucked from memory.

You are not paying attention. Again, context is key.

In this remarkable, private MGM interview, co-director Bob Abel delved deeply into the singer's mediocre 1960s Hollywood career, and how it gave the impression Elvis did not care. Presley refutes this, and plainly details his private physical and emotional pain regarding his situation at that time. Then Abel relates how his Hollywood impression of the singer completely changed when they met that year, and observing him on the concert stage. Yet, Elvis does stick up for some of his movie work before leaving the subject, and specifically cites "Tickle Me" as being "pure entertainment."

phpBB [video]

Interview with MGM director Bob Abel, Culver City, CA - July 1972

That's why when you get on stage, I think it's ...

It comes out.

It's honesty, it's real, it's, uh, it's you. I had, like I told you before, I had a completely different, different image of you until I met you, until I saw you in a live performance. And I think, uh, a lot of people do, they have an image like that.

Well, not, you know, not all the movies were, were that bad. I, I, uh, in-between I'd do something that, uh, was entertaining to people, it's just a pure entertainment nature, so, like "Tickle Me" or something like that, you know. They worked well on television.

A lot of people still watch them.

Yeah.

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:56 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greystoke wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:If you listen to the interview, "Tickle Me" is a specifically cited as a noteworthy release. Elvis is far less kind about the rest.

You are not paying attention. Again, context is key.

In this remarkable, private MGM interview, co-director Bob Abel delved deeply into the singer's mediocre 1960s Hollywood career, and how it gave the impression Elvis did not care. Presley refutes this, and plainly details his private physical and emotional pain regarding his situation at that time. Then Abel relates how his Hollywood impression of the singer completely changed when they met that year, and observing him on the concert stage. Yet, Elvis does stick up for some of his movie work before leaving the subject, and specifically cites "Tickle Me" as being "pure entertainment."

phpBB [video]

Interview with MGM director Bob Abel, Culver City, CA - July 1972

That's why when you get on stage, I think it's ...

It comes out.

It's honesty, it's real, it's, uh, it's you. I had, like I told you before, I had a completely different, different image of you until I met you, until I saw you in a live performance. And I think, uh, a lot of people do, they have an image like that.

Well, not, you know, not all the movies were, were that bad. I, I, uh, in-between I'd do something that, uh, was entertaining to people, it's just a pure entertainment nature, so, like "Tickle Me" or something like that, you know. They worked well on television.

A lot of people still watch them.

Yeah.

There's no need to be condescending. It's a hazy comment at best. Nothing more. And hardly certain or assured enough to believe that Elvis found Tickle Me to be "noteworthy."

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Greystoke wrote:There's no need to be condescending. It's a hazy comment at best. Nothing more. And hardly certain or assured enough to believe that Elvis found Tickle Me to be "noteworthy."

I wasn't. You chose to debate my point, and an effort was made to share a careful transcription and the original audio.

Enjoy your view, most who listen to the entire interview will not agree. :smt023
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.