Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Paramount Movies to MGM.....DVD's soon?

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:09 pm

i heard that all of the Elvis movies made at Paramount, were recently bought by MGM. Supposedly, they were doing digital film transfers of said movies and re-releasing them on DVD under the MGM banner.
That was at least two years ago and i haven't heard anything since.Are the digital film transfers a reality or a rumor?
Suffice it to say, Paramount's DVD versions were of sub-standard quality and i sure would love to see the colorful ROUSTABOUT in a digital (and less grainy) transfer on DVD and even better, blu ray releases of all the Paramount titles.
Any info?

Re: Paramount Movies to MGM.....DVD's soon?

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Now that DVD's old news, I hope they will be released on BluRay.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:37 pm

I'd love a King Creole/Roustabout bluray....

The others I wouldn't bother with until they hit the $5 bin at Walmart (which is how I've picked up 90% of my Elvis DVD Movie Library) :D

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:41 pm

Still waiting on Blue Hawaii on Blu Ray... Even if its not a great performance. The beautiful shots and scenery is screaming for blu ray treatment!

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Fun In Acapulco or Girls! Girls! Girls! on Blu-Ray for me! :smt007. "Little Elvis" might jump out of the screen :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:49 pm

It's highly unlikely that Paramount will cede the rights to any Elvis movies they own, however, there's an on-going Paramount-Warner Home Video distribution pact that's seeing Warners release over 600 Paramount titles on DVD and Blu-ray. This is a three year agreement that's running from January 2013 to January 2016, although no Elvis movies have been mentioned so far. There will be more Elvis films released on Blu-ray in the future, and whilst it's a common complaint that Elvis is being left in the lurch on Blu-ray, there's innumerable good and great movies still waiting to be released on this format. Thankfully, all of Elvis's movies are available on DVD and have the benefit of being well-preserved over the years -- which bodes well for future Blu-ray releases.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Elvis's Paramount movies have already been released by Warner/MGM as part of four-film bundles. For example: King Creole and G I Blues are packaged with Viva Las Vegas and Jailhouse Rock here:
[url]
http://www.amazon.com/Film-Fav-Presley- ... ing+creole[/url]

GGG and ECEG are paired with Trouble with Girls and Girl Happy here:

http://www.amazon.com/Film-Favorites-Elvis-Presley-Trouble/dp/B00GMTS9RE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430416780&sr=8-3&keywords=elvis+4+film

Whether they are the same transfers or not, I don't know.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Elvis's Paramount movies have already been released by Warner/MGM as part of four-film bundles. For example: King Creole and G I Blues are packaged with Viva Las Vegas and Jailhouse Rock here:
[url]

http://www.amazon.com/Film-Favorites-Elvis-Presley-Trouble/dp/B00GMTS9RE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430416780&sr=8-3&keywords=elvis+4+film

You're right. These are sold at low prices at amazon. Wondering if they have been improved. Girls Girls Girls has always been the most shabby looking on TV, VHS and DVD for decades. If anyone has this one mentioned by poormadpeter, please let us know about the quality.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:58 pm

What's a DVD??

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:29 pm

News? Find me a person other than on this forum who is going to buy an Elvis DVD these days. Or any DVD for that matter. The DVD (and CD) aisles in stores have shrunk so badly, I think I see more vinyl being displayed these days. With the advent of Netflix, and other download outlets, the DVD is all but dead. I have the great Chinatown on DVD. I saw it listed on Netflix so I watched it. The quality was better. May even be better than blu-ray. Im not happy about this. I would love to own King Creole on blu-ray, but not much more than that. I have Elvis movies on DVD I havent watched in years. Even sold a few I would never watch again.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:48 pm

I buy DVDs, I don't download or stream, I like the idea of having a collection.

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:51 pm

Tony C wrote:I buy DVDs, I don't download or stream, I like the idea of having a collection.

Same here. Downloading does not interest me. I have some great Blu-rays, including those Elvis blu-rays that are out.

Fri May 01, 2015 12:07 am

L Ray wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Elvis's Paramount movies have already been released by Warner/MGM as part of four-film bundles. For example: King Creole and G I Blues are packaged with Viva Las Vegas and Jailhouse Rock here:
[url]

You're right. These are sold at low prices at amazon. Wondering if they have been improved. Girls Girls Girls has always been the most shabby looking on TV, VHS and DVD for decades. If anyone has this one mentioned by poormadpeter, please let us know about the quality.

Yes, girls! girls!girls! Looked shockingly bad when it first came out on dvd in the paramount series. Some were extremely great in picture quality like easy come easy go, some soso like roustabout. But ggg looks awful in that grainy and brownish tone.
Don't know why .

Fri May 01, 2015 12:32 am

I buy DVDs and Blurays. I like the idea of owning a physical object.

Fri May 01, 2015 12:36 am

What bothered me were the movies that were released without anamorphic widescreen. Clambake, Follow that Dream, and I think there were one or two more. They look tiny on my TV. Have any of these been corrected?

Fri May 01, 2015 1:34 am

r&b wrote:News? Find me a person other than on this forum who is going to buy an Elvis DVD these days. Or any DVD for that matter. The DVD (and CD) aisles in stores have shrunk so badly, I think I see more vinyl being displayed these days. With the advent of Netflix, and other download outlets, the DVD is all but dead. I have the great Chinatown on DVD. I saw it listed on Netflix so I watched it. The quality was better. May even be better than blu-ray. Im not happy about this. I would love to own King Creole on blu-ray, but not much more than that. I have Elvis movies on DVD I havent watched in years. Even sold a few I would never watch again.

Sadly you're right. I don't see them releasing more dvd's and blu ray any time soon because who would buy them?? I used to have a whole closet of dvd's and blu rays. Then i bought a large hard drive (another one for a backup) and saved every one of the discs to them. I don't even have a player that'll play dvd's or blu ray any more. Sad because i don't see them restoring the films the way they should. :cry:

Fri May 01, 2015 1:51 am

Dnorman90 wrote:
r&b wrote:News? Find me a person other than on this forum who is going to buy an Elvis DVD these days. Or any DVD for that matter. The DVD (and CD) aisles in stores have shrunk so badly, I think I see more vinyl being displayed these days. With the advent of Netflix, and other download outlets, the DVD is all but dead. I have the great Chinatown on DVD. I saw it listed on Netflix so I watched it. The quality was better. May even be better than blu-ray. Im not happy about this. I would love to own King Creole on blu-ray, but not much more than that. I have Elvis movies on DVD I havent watched in years. Even sold a few I would never watch again.

Sadly you're right. I don't see them releasing more dvd's and blu ray any time soon because who would buy them?? I used to have a whole closet of dvd's and blu rays. Then i bought a large hard drive (another one for a backup) and saved every one of the discs to them. I don't even have a player that'll play dvd's or blu ray any more. Sad because i don't see them restoring the films the way they should. :cry:

I still have my collection (what I kept anyway). My closet shelf is not as full as it used to be but I didnt save anything to a drive. Im too old school for that lol.
I just sold stuff I probably wouldnt watch again, Elvis & others. But, I still like physical product. But what has happned in the stores is the biggest eye-opener to me. Beyond the DVD & CD aisles being half the size they used to be, even the players themselves are not as common to find in electronic stores. And some of the ones I do see look like damn toys, cheaply made, and seemingly crap quality compared to the older players I used to see. I have a Sony blu-ray players which I really love, but I find I use it more for Netflix now than anyhting else. There is so much on there, and I have joined the binge-watching nation I guess.

Fri May 01, 2015 1:59 am

Dnorman90 wrote:

Check out http://www.blu-ray.com and you will find new blu-rays coming out daily. The popularity of Blu-rays continues.

Hound Dawg wrote:What bothered me were the movies that were released without anamorphic widescreen. Clambake, Follow that Dream, and I think there were one or two more. They look tiny on my TV. Have any of these been corrected?

Frankie and Johnny was the other. I have good news for you though FTD came out on Blu-ray last year.

Fri May 01, 2015 2:01 am

L Ray wrote:
Dnorman90 wrote:

Check out http://www.blu-ray.com and you will find new blu-rays coming out daily. The popularity of Blu-rays continues.

Hound Dawg wrote:What bothered me were the movies that were released without anamorphic widescreen. Clambake, Follow that Dream, and I think there were one or two more. They look tiny on my TV. Have any of these been corrected?

Frankie and Johnny was the other. I have good news for you though FTD came out on Blu-ray last year.

But not in stores sadly

Fri May 01, 2015 3:00 am

r&b wrote:
Dnorman90 wrote:

I still have my collection (what I kept anyway). My closet shelf is not as full as it used to be but I didnt save anything to a drive. Im too old school for that lol.
I just sold stuff I probably wouldnt watch again, Elvis & others. But, I still like physical product. But what has happned in the stores is the biggest eye-opener to me. Beyond the DVD & CD aisles being half the size they used to be, even the players themselves are not as common to find in electronic stores. And some of the ones I do see look like damn toys, cheaply made, and seemingly crap quality compared to the older players I used to see. I have a Sony blu-ray players which I really love, but I find I use it more for Netflix now than anyhting else. There is so much on there, and I have joined the binge-watching nation I guess.

Yeah, i bought one of those roku sticks 2 years ago and love it, so much cheaper than cable/dish. I can watch sports online or at a bar. The strange thing about me, I got rid of the cd's,dvd, ect... but i'm obsessed with having the most vinyl i can get my hands on. haha

Fri May 01, 2015 5:14 am

I wouldn't say that's strange. That's what most of my friends do. I buy all formats. If I had an 8-track player or a reel-to-reel player I would probably buy those too.

Fri May 01, 2015 5:17 am

Hound Dawg wrote:I wouldn't say that's strange. That's what most of my friends do. I buy all formats. If I had an 8-track player or a reel-to-reel player I would probably buy those too.

I wish i had a reel to reel. I once heard a copy of "the doors" on one and it was the best sound i ever heard!

Fri May 01, 2015 5:25 am

I heard an album by The Doors on reel-to-reel once, and thought it sounded better than anything I'd ever heard too!

Fri May 01, 2015 6:04 am

Hound Dawg wrote:I heard an album by The Doors on reel-to-reel once, and thought it sounded better than anything I'd ever heard too!

Haha, awesome! As great as they sound, no way i could buy both media's. Whenever i see a reel to reel tape, they're like $60+. I spend enough on vinyl.

Fri May 01, 2015 8:59 am

I keep reading about the "death" of DVD and yet I see a lot of new films still being released on DVD before they appear on Blu-ray. Don't know about their availability in stores, but they are certainly available on the Internet. I do almost all of my media shopping on Amazon. Haven't got time time to run all over town looking for CDs and DVDs. I don't download.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Fri May 01, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.