Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Magazine Issue Needed. Badly.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:00 am

I need the final issue of the Norwegian fan club magazine called "Flaming Star." With an interview with Ed Parker, translated from English.

Even better would be "the American magazine" from 1979 where they got the Ed Parker interview from. They translated it into their language.

Any assistance in this would be appreciated. I have known about this for a long time, through the generosity of a member here. But I have never looked directly at either the Norwegian publication or the American source interview with Ed Parker.

The problem is that there was a glut of single-issue Elvis publications from that year. Kind of a needle in the haystack search for the original American interview. But maybe not so hard for our experts HERE! ??

Ed Parker interview. 1979. Magazine. Not his book.

Many thanks in advance. You needn't post the Norwegian piece if you don't want to. I will pay you for a photocopy - in U.S. dollars, if necessary. I just want it in hand. Badly.

rjm

Sent via my most phabulous phablet, the Galaxy Note 4

Re: Magazine Issue Needed. Badly.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:46 am

rjm wrote:I need the final issue of the Norwegian fan club magazine called "Flaming Star." With an interview with Ed Parker

Final issue?
The magazine are still going strong and latest issue was published in november last year.
A beautiful magazine (23x28cm)color printed on high quality paper.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:48 am

If it is any help to you I have scanned the Flaming Star magazine interview ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:29 am

Thank you so very much! (I will work on it my self through the various translation engines, and a few grammar books. There are just a few things I want to read for myself.)

Yes. Now I saw the words for myself in the publication - in the language, and I really didn't need the translator, but ran it through anyway, just to be absolutely certain. It was very simple, for the paragraphs in which I was interested. It would be nice to see the American source from which this was translated, but that's a tough one. This is good! Very good!

That was very kind of you! (And my understanding was that it was the final issue. Great to see it going!)

Thanks again!

rjm ::rocks
Last edited by rjm on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:38 pm

I´m pretty sure this is Sam Roy´s interview with Ed Parker from the spring/summer 1979 issue of Phil Gelormine´s Elvis World magazine. The original interview is much longer than the Norwegian translation.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:24 am

The fool wrote:I´m pretty sure this is Sam Roy´s interview with Ed Parker from the spring/summer 1979 issue of Phil Gelormine´s Elvis World magazine. The original interview is much longer than the Norwegian translation.

I can not say for sure?.... ( hard to make out the words sorry)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:47 am

What are you trying to find out here rjm? Just curious..

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:46 am

Oh my gosh! Thank you, The Fool! I think that's paydirt! (I just saw it, so need a closer look. I think so, but the entire interview isn't there. I haven't yet translated the entire Nowegian interview because there's so much typing. I need to install a new OCR program, but haven't done it. And besides, it's necessary to type another language, generally. If this is the one, I will compensate you for a photocopy of the full American interview, even if it's long.)

To answer your question, promiseland, it does have to do with Bruno Tillander's claims in his book. There was a war on Facebook, and I have now proven one of his claims false with redundant (two solid sources, don't know each other, years apart) corroboration.

Ed was asked Elvis's opinion on Vietnam. That's not so important in the scheme of things, EXCEPT that it proves Bruno is full of it, and thus, so is the *rest* of his cr*p-book.

It's a disgraceful thing by a sleezy character, and I wanted something IN HAND. Because a guy on there keeps pushing it full-force, and the more he does, the more Elvis is getting smeared about much more important things. (It got to the point where people were saying "yes, ok, I guess a WWII collection doesn't make someone a "Nazi Sympathizer.") !!!

Thank you so much!!!

rjm

Last edited by rjm on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:59 am

I know Phil! I am sure he could also help me out with this! He's a real nice guy.

rjm

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:01 pm

Well, I can scan the article and make it big enough to be able to read ok. The text is very small indeed.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:10 pm

The fool wrote:Well, I can scan the article and make it big enough to be able to read ok. The text is very small indeed.

Thank you! I don't know what to say!!!!! Just THANK YOU! You are SUCH a wonderful person! :D

In a way, it puts my mind at ease because if the Bruno book "does well" as they are claiming, I have this. And it is corroboration.

(Interesting about Lamar, BTW. I am not sure exactly to what they referred this early on. Something to think about. I look forward to seeing that more clearly.)

rjm

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:23 pm

The Elvis World interview: Ed Parker
Issue No. 4 - spring/summer 1979

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:29 pm

THANK YOU!

:D

rjm
P.S. -- It is now a little over an hour before daylight, but I couldn't stop reading it! Lord help me tomorrow. But this sheds light on SO many things! It gives much context, perspective and insight. I cannot thank you enough!

Gotta get a scanner working again and start really giving back! There's a whole issue of Let It Rock - all Elvis, just waiting! Just as soon as possible! Thanks again!

Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Although Ed Parker worked to keep the image as clean as possible after Elvis died, most especially in his book, Inside Elvis, the interview still holds fascinating information.

Unlike what others have tried to claim, Presley indeed liked the Beatles, solicited the BNDD badge from Nixon for personal reasons (saying whatever he thought would convince the president), and was not explicitly a Democrat or Republican. It's also nice to read he was firmly against the Vietnam War "from the onset."

"Gather around me buddies, and raise your glasses high, and drink to The fool."

Thanks, as always, for the share!

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:02 am

Fascinating article, thank you, the fool.