Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Cassette collecting memories

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:44 pm

I was in the loft (attic) of my house and I found some of my Elvis cassettes I collected in my childhood (see image below).
some are still in the loft I expect as this is not the whole collection.

Do you remember the days when you did not care or know anything about sound quality? When all that mattered was having the tape to play?
I only had a little mono portable tape deck, so I did not care about sound quality, I knew nothing of mastering or different mixes, all that mattered was having the tapes.

Around 1977 I was bought "King Creole", (1972 issues) I was only 10 and I loved it! played it to death.

But inside was information I revelled in, a list of other Elvis tapes I could get!

You can see here how I ticked them off as I got them!

Does anyone else share memories of the innocent joy of collecting back in the day?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scoobie on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Cassette collecting memories

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Neat topic :D

Does anyone else share memories of the innocent joy of collecting back in the day?

O yes. I was 10 when I got me my first Elvis record for my birthday.

Inside was a 16 page booklet with pics, newspaperclips and information. I cut it all to pieces, to glue the pics in a scrapbook. The same I did with the booklets in A Legendary Performer Vol 1, and 2. (From Volume 3 on, I knew better).

One page of the booklet in Elvis Forever:

I also had the habit of putting a big autograph on the cover of every disc I bought. Made them all worthless.

And it's true. I didn't care for the best sound, etc. I had a record player with only one loudspeaker. Even stereo recordings came out as mono. But gosh, how I enjoyed the music: Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Fats Domino, Little Richard, etc., etc.

Happy memories.

::rocks

Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:11 pm

One of the best cassette's was this 1984 release 'Magic Moments With Elvis Presley' (NK 89400). Never released on vinyl or CD it made for an excellent listen.

A1 Always On My Mind
A2 If I'm A Fool (For Loving You)
A3 I Just Can't Help Believin'
A4 Love Letters
A5 Kentucky Rain
A6 Clean Up Your Own Backyard
A7 Hey Jude
A8 The Wonder Of You
A9 Charro
A10 In The Ghetto
A11 Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby
A12 Until It's Time For You To Go
A13 If I Can Dream
B1 From A Jack To A King
B2 Separate Ways
B3 Are You Lonesome Tonight?
B4 It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'
B5 It's Only Love
B6 Any Day Now
B7 Make The World Go Away
B8 The Elvis Medley
B9 Gentle On My Mind
B10 Polk Salad Annie
B11 I'll Be There
B12 Bridge Over Troubled Water
B13 Edge Of Reality

Andy

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:15 pm

Kool topic!

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:25 pm

I have just opened the cassette of "The Sound Of Your Cry" inner and found tucked away inside a till receipt from the original purchase dated 10th September 1982, for the grand price of £1.99! Happy days!

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Nice one! That is quite an unusual track listing, especially with "The Elvis Medley", the only copy I had of that was a 7 inch single (picture disc). I would have loved that one for sure!

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:45 pm

i must have a hundred casette tapes somewhere in a box

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:58 pm

My collection in those days was strictly vinyl, whether it be mainstream releases or boots. I used to order my boot LPS from a place called "The King's Voice in New York. The only cassettes I ever collected were hundreds of audience recordings from Larry. If I bought 100 at a time, he'd sell them to me at $2.00 each. I had nearly 600 of them.

I love you, FTD!
Last edited by Rob on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Does anyone remember the Elvis cassettes that Woolworth sold in the UK. They had card backing with song titles listed, the cassette under a plastic cover and hooks on the top. I bought the 'Flaming Star' one but have never seen that original packaging since.

Andy

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:19 pm

If I find it I'll post a photo here. The "In Person" had a different track order IIRC. When I turned cassette over, "All Shook Up" started. Thought it made sense and neat cause the side opened with Elvis saying "Here we go again"! :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:22 pm

jetblack wrote:Does anyone remember the Elvis cassettes that Woolworth sold in the UK. They had card backing with song titles listed, the cassette under a plastic cover and hooks on the top. I bought the 'Flaming Star' one but have never seen that original packaging since.

Andy

That is the same issue as in my collection! And mine came from Woolworths as well, Snap! Glory days indeed.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:37 pm

This baby was my first introduction to the Power of Presley, I was 6 years old when i got it. One hell of an introduction to the man and his music!

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:51 pm

I purchased my first cassettes when they were originally released in the USA. I remember looking at the carousel display and choosing the ones I wanted. The clerk then unlocked the display and got my tapes. (That's what the little holes in the original plastic boxes were for-in case you ever wondered)

This was at a time when 8 track ruled - I always hated that a song may be cut in order to accommodate the 8 track limited track time. It was the reason I opted for cassette in its infancy. A move that left me open to ridicule from most folks.

I even had an early cassette deck in my car in the early 70's while the rest of the world were 8 tracking.

I look back fondly on those days.

I have since sold most of my cassette tapes but they gave me the option to hear "my music" when on the road.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Greybeard wrote:I purchased my first cassettes when they were originally released in the USA. I remember looking at the carousel display and choosing the ones I wanted. The clerk then unlocked the display and got my tapes. (That's what the little holes in the original plastic boxes were for-in case you ever wondered)

This was at a time when 8 track ruled - I always hated that a song may be cut in order to accommodate the 8 track limited track time. It was the reason I opted for cassette in its infancy. A move that left me open to ridicule from most folks.

I even had an early cassette deck in my car in the early 70's while the rest of the world were 8 tracking.

I look back fondly on those days.

I have since sold most of my cassette tapes but they gave me the option to hear "my music" when on the road.

I know just what you mean, as a child I remember studying the tapes in the display for ages, trying to work out from the song titles which would be the best purchase (this was in the days when I was not familiar with the tracks). The staff behind the till got annoyed with me as it took me ages to work out which to buy.

I am thinking, should I buy a tape deck from Ebay and give my old tapes a play? Tempted, but what would they sound like after all these years? I gather that analogue formats are popular these days, and that there are tape decks that would probably sound quite good for sale out there. I wonder if it is worthwhile, would certainly be fun though!

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:18 pm

1994 - An Audio Scrapbook.

P1010441.JPG

1991 - The Elvis Cologne came with a cassette .I used the cologne . :(

P1010440.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:22 pm

I bought a bottle of this cologne a few years ago, not sure if time had been unkind (it was obvious the bottle was years old) but it stunk!

*sorry for the threadcrap

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:44 pm

jetblack wrote:Does anyone remember the Elvis cassettes that Woolworth sold in the UK. They had card backing with song titles listed, the cassette under a plastic cover and hooks on the top. I bought the 'Flaming Star' one but have never seen that original packaging since.

Andy

still have these...

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:56 pm

VEGAS74 wrote:

Andy

still have these...

Thanks for posting these - That has made my day.

Andy

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:11 pm

VEGAS74 wrote:

Andy

still have these...

I could never resist opening the packaging, part of me wishes I could have bought 2 copies, one to play, one to keep.
Such memories! So cool to see the original packaging again, never thought I would.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:13 pm

always bought the cassette along with the album and that way I could enjoy my fav Elvis tunes (and new album) when I was at work or on a summers day in the park...happy days!

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Oh wow!
Great days!
I started collecting on cassette because it was convenient, and listening on my Walkman was an every day occurrence.
I gave always my cassette collection years ago as I replaced then on LP and CD.
RCA did tend to rip off the cassette fans though, I'm sure they wiped cheap Camden cassettes and reused them for full price releases to maximise profit.
The quality of the tape on some of those release was just awful !!!!

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Very impressive, Vegas74

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:23 pm

:(
VEGAS74 wrote:always bought the cassette along with the album and that way I could enjoy my fav Elvis tunes (and new album) when I was at work or on a summers day in the park...happy days!

Wow! What a great collection! Thanks for posting... Fantastic!

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Here are some other cassettes .

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:51 pm

couple more book and gift sets...