Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:25 pm

I know this was released last year and I've heard it then, but I was just listening to it again today and it made me realise how well done it was. I would go so far as to say it's probably better than the original.

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:30 pm

...there`s trouble in them there hills!! :wink:

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:29 pm

Trouble? At least Double Trouble.

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:56 pm

That's the one song I absolutely detest, they ripped out its soul and turned it into some overproduced dreck which I'm sure wasn't easy.

That being said I know lots enjoy it so more power to you and them! It's only music ;)

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:48 am

SORRY, BUT i THINK ITS AWFUL.

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:53 am

For arguments sake, I like it. After all they didn't change Elvis' vocals. :smt006

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:31 pm

You can't put strings on a rock song to make it better

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:05 pm

ECC83 wrote:I know this was released last year and I've heard it then, but I was just listening to it again today and it made me realise how well done it was. I would go so far as to say it's probably better than the original.


I wouldn't go that far, but I was genuinely thrilled when I first heard it. It made me think the album concept wasn't that bad and the sales have proved we're not the only ones who have enjoyed it.

Geoff

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:21 pm

Judging by the Amazon reviews (in the first few weeks, at least) it was clearly one of the most popular tracks.

I agree that it works - it shouldn't, but it does - and it's a great opener to that million-selling album chart-topper !

:D

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Listened to it twice then put it away for good.Awful.

norrie

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:49 pm

I really like it reminds me of ELO who also used this formula and put strings on their rock songs

Lennon liked it so much he commented that this would be what the Beatles would be doing circa 1974.

Only thing i would have preferred they use some vocals from outtakes to change the ending.

Wonder why they are limiting themselves to the confines of keeping the original track.

Please be more creative, use some alternate vocals that exist to change things a bit. There exists absolute gems of alternate vocals to sprinkle in.

::rocks

Just priceless to have Elvis breaking records today. And a great cd to play in the car or home.

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:34 pm

CONFEDERATELVIS wrote:You can't put strings on a rock song to make it better


Freddie Mercury would disagree.

I had a very visceral reaction to the RPO version of Burning Love the first time I heard it. Not bad, not good, but I had no words. I immediately had to listen to it again, and began processing my feelings. Third listen in a row, I finally looked over at my girlfriend and said, "I know why I am having such a weird reaction to this. It's because it's the first time that I've ever heard a song from Elvis - re-mixed, "remixed," remastered, rearranged, re-whatever... that I since I became an Elvis fan, that I have ever felt like I was hearing Elvis sing a new song for the first time. Curiosities like studio jams and home recordings are always in the context, so I know what to expect, but this was, as best as I can imagine, hearing a new song from Elvis when he was alive. Even though I was familiar with the lyrics and the melody, the instrumentation of the rhythm band inside and out, it's totally transformed into something else.

I understand why some people would very much dislike the transformation of that song, and hey, if you don't like it, you don't like it. However, that doesn't make it *bad* and my liking it doesn't make it *good,* but I do like it. To me it made an already punchy rocker into a light, airy and fun song with some serious kick to it.

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:35 pm

Steve Morse wrote:Judging by the Amazon reviews (in the first few weeks, at least) it was clearly one of the most popular tracks.

I agree that it works - it shouldn't, but it does - and it's a great opener to that million-selling album chart-topper !

:D

Right there!

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Being very suspicious about this release, I was taken by the first track immediately! I had to admit I was preoccupied! I really like Burning Love on this album, in fact most of the tracks are beautifully done! I think the UK sales reflect that also! I even bought the deluxe set with the extra tracks and I like those too. It's only Fever that I have a little difficulty with. The duet doesn't really work to me. I think maybe they shouldn't have tampered with Fever at all in this project! :roll:

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Listened to 20 seconds of it ... and then contemplated suicide...

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:51 am

Great version - Very ELO.

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:59 am

Hard Rocker wrote:Great version - Very ELO.


I fully agree....and I like it!

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:54 am

GERRY wrote:I really like it reminds me of ELO who also used this formula and put strings on their rock songs

Lennon liked it so much he commented that this would be what the Beatles would be doing circa 1974.

Only thing i would have preferred they use some vocals from outtakes to change the ending.

Wonder why they are limiting themselves to the confines of keeping the original track.

Please be more creative, use some alternate vocals that exist to change things a bit. There exists absolute gems of alternate vocals to sprinkle in.

::rocks

Just priceless to have Elvis breaking records today. And a great cd to play in the car or home.


I only know literally a few ELO songs, but a while back I had a vivid dream that I was seeing early 70s Elvis at an open-air concert and he was singing their fantastic "Don't Bring Me Down" song. I'll never forget it, and was pretty sad when I awoke... Elvis in blue really going for it over that huge riff. But it was only a dream.... :(

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:49 am

I like the Burning Love RPO Version !!! :)
For me it sounds great. 8)

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:52 pm

...just imagine if August `77 never happened and Elvis is celebrating his 80th and giving this release his stamp of approval...now imagine how many people here who simply detest this track or the whole release for that matter...would then do a complete reversal...something to ponder :wink:

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Another wind-up thread... how original... you guys should start a club... :facep:

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Sorry ELO it was not. Jeff Lynne is a freakin musical genius. ELO did their own orchestration and played on their records. Burning Love was stripped of its heart & soul with the RPO orchestra. Despite what Priscilla said, Im not so sure Elvis would approve (he didnt like when they messed with his music remember?)

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:09 pm

r&b wrote:Sorry ELO it was not. Jeff Lynne is a freakin musical genius. ELO did their own orchestration and played on their records. Burning Love was stripped of its heart & soul with the RPO orchestra. Despite what Priscilla said, Im not so sure Elvis would approve (he didnt like when they messed with his music remember?)


I agree about your thoughts on BL but I have my doubts that Elvis would disown this right off the bat. I mean Hilton Horns anyone? It's scary to think he might've loved this :?

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:19 pm

TINML wrote:
r&b wrote:Sorry ELO it was not. Jeff Lynne is a freakin musical genius. ELO did their own orchestration and played on their records. Burning Love was stripped of its heart & soul with the RPO orchestra. Despite what Priscilla said, Im not so sure Elvis would approve (he didnt like when they messed with his music remember?)


I agree about your thoughts on BL but I have my doubts that Elvis would disown this right off the bat. I mean Hilton Horns anyone? It's scary to think he might've loved this :?


You may be onto something there. He made that statement in the 60's when his voice was moved up front. Maybe he get addicted to the Hilton Horns as you call them, and maybe he would have liked it better. He certainly didnt care much for BL anyway!

Re: Burning Love with Royal Philharmonic - great release

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:30 pm

I decided not to like it before i heard it.Strings on a classic Elvis rock track,no way.Its had so many hits on my local radio station,and that has got to be a good thing.Lots of young people hearing the song for the first time,hopefully leading some of them down an Elvis path which leads to real treasure. :D