Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: SoundScan (US) sales-figures

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:25 pm

TINML wrote: Nice, I love that comp it deserves to sell much more than "It's Christmas Time".

I doubt it will as It's Christmas Time sems to be the one everyone wants. It was only released in 1999 and sales of over 3.5m mean it's probably one of the ten Best Selling Christmas albums of the Soundscan era.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:46 am

Jaime1234 wrote:"It's Christmas Time" is set to again be in the running to enter the Billboard top 40, for the first time, this week. It is Currently at #36 at Hitsdailydouble. http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi. Incidentally, The Elvis Classic Christmas Album is high up on the iTunes chart album list, at #45.

What I find amazing is that Garth Brooks' latest album is NOT in the hitsdailydouble list. Either it must be an oversight or Walmart didn't request more than 500,000 copies of the 8 disk set, and they're out of stock.

Thanks Jaime. Unfortunately, with 46.22% of sales now in 'It's Christmas Time' has dropped to No.48 with 4,130 sales.

Brian

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:03 am

Brian Quinn wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:"It's Christmas Time" is set to again be in the running to enter the Billboard top 40, for the first time, this week. It is Currently at #36 at Hitsdailydouble. http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi. Incidentally, The Elvis Classic Christmas Album is high up on the iTunes chart album list, at #45.

What I find amazing is that Garth Brooks' latest album is NOT in the hitsdailydouble list. Either it must be an oversight or Walmart didn't request more than 500,000 copies of the 8 disk set, and they're out of stock.

Thanks Jaime. Unfortunately, with 46.22% of sales now in 'It's Christmas Time' has dropped to No.48 with 4,130 sales.

Brian

You beat me to it, I was just going to report it LOL

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:35 am

Now it's down to 49 (LOL)

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:22 am

It's kinda amazing that It's Christmas Time is the album doing so well year after year. It's exactly the same tracklisting as the diamond awarded Elvis' Christmas Album from 1970. I wonder how many records Elvis' christmas recordings have actually sold all together. The same songs repacked again and again in different covers and altered tracklisting.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:35 pm

According to Hits Daily Double, "It's Christmas time" racked up an amazing 15,221 copies this current week, and landing at #41 on their HDD Top 50 chart.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Last week, even when not charting inside the HDD Top 50, it landed at Billboard at precisely #41, its all time high at the BB 200 chart. Let's wait until Thursday to see if HDD has underestimated his tallies this week, as was the case last week, or in fact the underestimation they had is in relation to other artists shown, now, at the HDD chart, below Elvis, as has also been the case in the past, in other words, landing at a higher rank on HDD than at Billboard.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:33 pm

'It's Christmas Time' remains at 41 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for w/e 28th December, 2013. It also rises from 7 to 6 on the Catalog Album Chart and remains at 13 on the Holiday Album Chart.

'The Classic Christmas Album' rises from 125 to 90 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart and rises from 19 to 16 on the Top Country Album Chart. It also rises from 96 to 71 on the Current Album Chart.

'Merry Christmas, Love Elvis' drops from 101 to 108 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart. It also drops from 13 to 20 on the Top Country Album Chart. It remains at 32 on the Holiday Album Chart and drops from 79 to 85 on the Current Album Chart.

'Blue Christmas' (Single) rises from 20 to 19 on the Holiday Digital Songs Chart; remains at 17 on the Holiday 100 Singles Chart and rises on the Holiday Airplay Chart from 19 to 17.

'Here Comes Santa Claus' rises from 49 to 42 on the Holiday 100 Singles Chart.

'He Touched Me: The Gospel Music Of Elvis Presley (Vols. 1 and 2) Re-Enters the Top Music Video sales Chart at 18.

'Elvis Lives' Re-Enters the Top Music Video Sales Chart at 22.

Brian

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:56 am

Thanks buddy!!

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Incredibly, AND I HAVE N0 OTHER WAY Of REACTING, @iTS cHRISTMAS TIME! SPENDS ANOTHER WEEK AT NUMBER 41, AND THAT IS THREE WEEKS IN A ROW. THE PROBABILITY FOR A 1999 RELEASE, WHICH IS NOT BEING PROMOTED, TO STAY AT THAT POSITION THREE WEEKS IN A ROW IS ONE IN A TRILLION. I CAN UNDERSTAND ANY NEW ALBUM STAYING AT THE NUMBER ONE OR TWO POSITION THAT LONG, BUT IN THIS CASE IT LOOKS AS IF BILLBOARD IS STOPPING ELVIS FROM GETTING ANOTHER TOP FORTY ALBUM...LOL. NUMBER 41 THREE WEEKS IN A ROW!! YEAH, RIGHT...

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:44 pm

'It's Christmas Time' remains at 41 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for w/e 4th January, 2014. It also rises from 6 to 5 on the Catalog Album Chart and rises from 13 to 12 on the Holiday Album Chart.

'The Classic Christmas Album' drops from 90 to 93 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart; remains at 16 on the Top Country Album Chart and drops from 71 to 78 on the Current Album Chart.

'Merry Christmas, Love Elvis' drops from 108 to 125 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart. It also drops from 20 to 23 on the Top Country Album Chart. It rises from 32 to 29 on the Holiday Album Chart and drops from 85 to 100 on the Current Album Chart.

'Blue Christmas' (Single) rises from 19 to 18 on the Holiday Digital Songs Chart; remains at 17 on the Holiday 100 Singles Chart and rises on the Holiday Airplay Chart from 17 to 16.

'Here Comes Santa Claus' drops from 42 to 51 on the Holiday 100 Singles Chart.

'He Touched Me: The Gospel Music Of Elvis Presley (Vols. 1 and 2) drops from 18 to 19 on the Top Music Video Sales Chart.

'Elvis Lives' rises from 22 to 21 on the Top Music Video Sales Chart.

Brian

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:01 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:Incredibly, AND I HAVE N0 OTHER WAY Of REACTING, @iTS cHRISTMAS TIME! SPENDS ANOTHER WEEK AT NUMBER 41, AND THAT IS THREE WEEKS IN A ROW. THE PROBABILITY FOR A 1999 RELEASE, WHICH IS NOT BEING PROMOTED, TO STAY AT THAT POSITION THREE WEEKS IN A ROW IS ONE IN A TRILLION. I CAN UNDERSTAND ANY NEW ALBUM STAYING AT THE NUMBER ONE OR TWO POSITION THAT LONG, BUT IN THIS CASE IT LOOKS AS IF BILLBOARD IS STOPPING ELVIS FROM GETTING ANOTHER TOP FORTY ALBUM...LOL. NUMBER 41 THREE WEEKS IN A ROW!! YEAH, RIGHT...

have another cheerful drink Jaime...and slow those CAPS down before another Billboard rep comes knocking at your door and takes all your Christmas presents away :wink:

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:16 am

sweetangeline wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:Incredibly, AND I HAVE N0 OTHER WAY Of REACTING, @iTS cHRISTMAS TIME! SPENDS ANOTHER WEEK AT NUMBER 41, AND THAT IS THREE WEEKS IN A ROW. THE PROBABILITY FOR A 1999 RELEASE, WHICH IS NOT BEING PROMOTED, TO STAY AT THAT POSITION THREE WEEKS IN A ROW IS ONE IN A TRILLION. I CAN UNDERSTAND ANY NEW ALBUM STAYING AT THE NUMBER ONE OR TWO POSITION THAT LONG, BUT IN THIS CASE IT LOOKS AS IF BILLBOARD IS STOPPING ELVIS FROM GETTING ANOTHER TOP FORTY ALBUM...LOL. NUMBER 41 THREE WEEKS IN A ROW!! YEAH, RIGHT...

have another cheerful drink Jaime...and slow those CAPS down before another Billboard rep comes knocking at your door and takes all your Christmas presents away :wink:

lol

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:52 pm

'It's Christmas Time' drops from 41 to 114 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for w/e 11th January, 2014. It also drops from 5 to 14 on the Catalog Album Chart and drops from 12 to 13 on the Holiday Album Chart.

'The Classic Christmas Album' drops from 93 to 159 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart; drops from 16 to 25 on the Top Country Album Chart and drops from 78 to 130 on the Current Album Chart.

'Merry Christmas, Love Elvis' drops from 23 to 35 on the Top Country Album Chart. It drops from 29 to 38 on the Holiday Album Chart and drops from 100 to 184 on the Current Album Chart.

'Blue Christmas' (Single) rises from 18 to 16 on the Holiday Digital Songs Chart; remains at 17 on the Holiday 100 Singles Chart and remains at 16 on the Holiday Airplay Chart.

'Here Comes Santa Claus' drops from 51 to 63 on the Holiday 100 Singles Chart.

'He Touched Me: The Gospel Music Of Elvis Presley' (Vols. 1 and 2) rises from 19 to 18 on the Top Music Video Sales Chart.

'Elvis Lives' rises from 21 to 20 on the Top Music Video Sales Chart.

Brian

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:43 pm

Elvis has no albums on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for week ending 18th January, 2014.

His only chart entries this week are for the following:

On the 'Top Music Video Sales' Chart 'He Touched Me: The Gospel Music Of Elvis Presley (Vols.1 and 2) rises from 18 to 10 and 'Elvis Lives' rises from 20 to 18.

'It's Christmas Time' has now spent 105 weeks in total on the Billboard Catalog Album Chart.

Brian

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:07 pm

Elvis has no albums on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for week ending 25th January, 2014.

His only chart entry this week is for the following:

On the 'Top Music Video Sales' Chart 'He Touched Me: The Gospel Music Of Elvis Presley' (Vols.1 and 2) rises from 18 to 10.

Brian

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Elvis has no albums on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart for week ending 1st February, 2014.

His only chart entry this week is for the following:

On the 'Top Music Video Sales' Chart 'He Touched Me: The Gospel Music Of Elvis Presley' (Vols.1 and 2) drops to 23.

Brian

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:49 pm

30 #1 Hits is now 7 x Platinum in Australia (490,000 units). :D

http://www.aria.com.au/pages/httpwww.ar ... s-2014.htm
Last edited by kriss on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:51 pm

Elvis has no entries on the Billboard Charts for w/e 8th February, 2014.

Brian :(

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Elvis has no entries on the Billboard Charts for w/e 15th February, 2014.

Brian

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:12 am

Elvis in Canada
WEEK OF 02/02/2014 TOP CATALOGUE

6 RCA 121 PRESLEY*ELVIS ELVIS 30 NO. 1 HITS 158 26 125 653,810
2 HAND 141 140 PRESLEY*ELVIS GOLDEN GREATS 150 11 135 47,440
Qualify for Gold

WEEK OF 02/02/2014 TOP CANADA
8 P247 186 191 161 PRESLEY*ELVIS COLLECTION 3 PACK 258 19 216 3,660x3= 10,980

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Elvis has no entries on the Billboard Charts for w/e 22nd February, 2014.

Brian

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks Brain. Why does Elvis only sell around Christmas? Surely it can't be just Elvis fan buying his Christmas albums, the general public must be buying them too.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:33 pm

garyt wrote: Why does Elvis only sell around Christmas?

4th quarter sales are always the strongest...and lets face it Elvis will always sell more Christmas cd`s

garyt wrote:Surely it can't be just Elvis fan buying his Christmas albums, the general public must be buying them too.

the general public are buying them...just not in enough quantities to enter the top 200 album chart

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:45 pm

garyt wrote:Thanks Brain. Why does Elvis only sell around Christmas? Surely it can't be just Elvis fan buying his Christmas albums, the general public must be buying them too.

Hi Gary,

It's all a matter of marketing by SONY(USA). They flood the stores with Elvis Christmas product each year and always seem to bring out a new Christmas album with the same old tracks and a new cover. SONY (USA) need to stop treating Elvis as a back catalogue artist and give his albums some serious prime-time TV exposure as SONY (UK) did with the recent 'The Nations Favourite Elvis Songs' album. Further, SONY (USA) Legacy Division seem to put out a steady stream of re-issued albums and rely on mainly fans to purchase them in a new format. The general public are not getting to see or hear the real Elvis as Impersonators are now calling the shots with national concert tours sponsored by EPE. In the meantime, artists such as Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Michael Jackson, the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Eric Clapton, Mob Marley and Creedence Clearwater Revival are featured regularly in the Billboard Top 200 album chart. Some of these are SONY artists.

I would like to see EPE, ABG and SONY get together to plan the future of Elvis' Legacy as at present they all appear to by pulling in different directions - EPE with the Impersonators, ABG with the merchandise and Sony with the, mainly, FTD and Legacy releases. Personally I buy all the FTD and Legacy releases and enjoy them BUT one cannot ignore the general public in the equation. The fans, in the main, are fully aware of Elvis product as they visit sites like FECC but the public are not. Elvis product needs exposure. An excellent example of this was the re-issue of 'An Afternoon In The Garden' album which is still awaiting an RIAA GOLD Award. The record stores e.g. Walmart had some great stands devoted entirely to this album and it sold in droves because the public were made aware of it.

Many will say of course it must be remembered that Elvis has a huge back catalogue of albums and therefore sales are spread throughout these. This is true up to a degree. However, a detailed look at those Elvis albums which are still available for sale on Amazon (USA) show that over half of the originals are no longer available for sale; many are now only available as imports thus not being eligible to count for U.S. Soundscan sales; some have exorbitant prices; the vast majority of the original albums have now been enhanced with more than an additional 4 tracks thus not being eligible for their sales to be added to the originals and finally several of Elvis' multi-album releases have less than one hour's playing time for each disc thus not qualifying for double sales under R.I.A.A rules. The latter rule (plus excellent marketing) has greatly contributed to Garth Brooks' immense album sales in such a short period of time. In the circumstances I often wonder if SONY (USA) are aware of these anomalies. When I pointed them out to EPE some time back they were totally unaware.

Food for thought indeed.

Brian

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:19 pm

respectfully this needs to be broken down so we all have a clearer / better understanding of this, and here is the reality;

Brian Quinn wrote:They flood the stores with Elvis Christmas product each year and always seem to bring out a new Christmas album with the same old tracks and a new cover.

this will continue...little investment, but big profit

Brian Quinn wrote:SONY (USA) need to stop treating Elvis as a back catalogue artist

although I sympathize, that`s exactly what he is, he has not been an active artist since...well I guess we all know that answer, let`s just say the 70`s

Brian Quinn wrote:give his albums some serious prime-time TV exposure as SONY (UK) did with the recent 'The Nations Favourite Elvis Songs' album.

I agree that needs to be done...and I believe it will happen within` the next three yrs...maybe sooner, but it isn't going to happen with every release and they will eventually go back to their ways, but will Elvis be in the "spotlight" within` the next three yrs (yes) and it will include Sony`s participation

Brian Quinn wrote:Further, SONY (USA) Legacy Division seem to put out a steady stream of re-issued albums and rely on mainly fans to purchase them in a new format.

...and the fans will, but Sony certainly hope that newer fans will also part with their money, but more needs to be done from Sony, but if there happy with their return from these products, well...

Brian Quinn wrote:The general public are not getting to see or hear the real Elvis as Impersonators are now calling the shots with national concert tours sponsored by EPE.

If EPE can make profit off of these impersonator shows, that will continue...but the "ELVIS PRESLEY – ON STAGE" Tours Europe in 2014 need to continue into other countries

Brian Quinn wrote:In the meantime, artists such as Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Michael Jackson, the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Eric Clapton, Mob Marley and Creedence Clearwater Revival are featured regularly in the Billboard Top 200 album chart. Some of these are SONY artists.

some of these people are still active artists today...so you can`t compare those with Elvis, and with regards to the others those labels including Sony will always capitalize on opportunities they see fit...example the recent 50th anniversary Beatles celebration on Ed Sullivan, but Elvis will get his due again...by the way check out Willie`s / Clapton`s / John Fogerty`s latest albums...and Johnny Cash has a new album coming with all new songs discovered, but that`s another story

Brian Quinn wrote:I would like to see EPE, ABG and SONY get together to plan the future of Elvis' Legacy as at present they all appear to by pulling in different directions - EPE with the Impersonators, ABG with the merchandise and Sony with the, mainly, FTD and Legacy releases.

when the times right, they will

Brian Quinn wrote:Elvis product needs exposure. An excellent example of this was the re-issue of 'An Afternoon In The Garden' album which is still awaiting an RIAA GOLD Award. The record stores e.g. Walmart had some great stands devoted entirely to this album and it sold in droves because the public were made aware of it.

...and that single cd from `97 sold for a whopping $5.00, I`m quite sure that also had a major roll in it and is not the best example over-all to use for what you really want to happen

Brian Quinn wrote:Many will say of course it must be remembered that Elvis has a huge back catalogue of albums and therefore sales are spread throughout these. This is true up to a degree. However, a detailed look at those Elvis albums which are still available for sale on Amazon (USA) show that over half of the originals are no longer available for sale; many are now only available as imports thus not being eligible to count for U.S. Soundscan sales; some have exorbitant prices; the vast majority of the original albums have now been enhanced with more than an additional 4 tracks thus not being eligible for their sales to be added to the originals and finally several of Elvis' multi-album releases have less than one hour's playing time for each disc thus not qualifying for double sales under R.I.A.A rules. The latter rule (plus excellent marketing) has greatly contributed to Garth Brooks' immense album sales in such a short period of time. In the circumstances I often wonder if SONY (USA) are aware of these anomalies.

...when a new Elvis album is in the planning stages, I doubt very much if any of the above happens in the discussion (Soundscan / RIAA / Amazon) nor does it come up where someone from Sony states..."dam...that Garth Brooks character is ahead of us again"...sorry it isn't happening

Brian Quinn wrote:When I pointed them out to EPE some time back they were totally unaware.

it has to start with Sony, not EPE

Brian Quinn wrote:Food for thought indeed.

now that`s real food for thought...thank you thank you very much :wink: