ForeverElvis
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

SoundScan (US) sales-figures

Post by ForeverElvis »

K.C. wrote:
ForeverElvis on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:29 am wrote:
skipbond on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:14 am wrote:
Jaime1234 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:42 pm wrote:
minkahed wrote:At this point, it doesn't matter, I think everyone knows Elvis was/will always be the top seller.
yes, and that is why, since we are in an Elvis thread, I made it a point to mention the fact that this was for ALBUMS , as Presley beats Brooks by 50.5 million to 0.5m RIAA certified units for SINGLES
As everyone knows the RIAA doesn't count sales of records, they count sales of "certified record" sales. RCA"BMG have stated that Elvis has sold no less than 400 million records in the US alone. RIAA continued attempts at mnaipulating perception of american music culture and who has had what success is a continued reminder that liberal idiots have tried to hijack perception of american music culture. Citing RIAA stats is tantamount to outright lying and perpetuating this bullshit the RIAA has done.
it often gets very confusing on how the Gold and Platinum awards are certified. Please visit Neil Umphred's "Touch of Gold Blog" for accurate and exact information on this subject:

http://www.elvis-atouchofgold.com/

http://www.elvis-atouchofgold.com/category/33-rpm-lp-albums/

in part Neil says:

From 1958 through 1975, the RIAA Gold Standard was based on a unit of one million. Since 1976, that Standard has been based on half that number. So today's Platinum Record is yesterday's Gold Record.

THE ORIGINAL RIAA GOLD RECORDS were introduced in 1958, and there were only two awards: a Gold Record for singles, and a Gold Record for LPs. To qualify, a single must have sold a minimum of one million (1,000,000) copies, while an LP album must have sold one million dollars ($1,000,000, arrived at by using one-third (33⅓%) of the manufacturer's suggested retail price. There were no "unit" sales required for LP certification, and there were no Platinum Record Awards.

The number of records sold had absolutely nothing to do with the original Gold Record Award for LP albums! It was all about the dollars and cents.

These retail prices varied from as low as $2.95 to as high as $5.95 for a single LP album. Since 1955, most pop vocal and instrumental LPs (which included country & western, rhythm & blues, and rock & roll) were priced at $3.95 (or $3.98).

Albums by artists in these fields had to sell more than 830,000 copies to reach the $1,000,000 wholesale level!

In 1975, the RIAA amended its criteria for Gold Record Awards for albums: a title must sell both the former $1,000,000 at the wholesale level (still defined as one-third of the list pice) plus the title must sell at least 500,000 units (LP records and pre-recorded tapes).

The first RIAA platinum single

In 1976, the RIAA introduced its Platinum Record Awards for singles: a title must sell 2,000,000 copies to qualify for a Platinum Record Award. Despite there having many many 45s to have reached this level of sales in the previous eighteen years, the industry made an event out of the first 'official' award presented to Johnny Taylor for Disco Lady on February 24, 1976.

The first RIAA platinum album

In 1976, the RIAA introduced its Platinum Record Awards for albums: a title must sell $2,000,000 at the wholesale level plus the title must sell at least 1,000,000 units. Despite there having many many albums to have reached this level of sales in the previous eighteen years, the industry made an event out of the first 'official' presented to the Eagles for THEIR GREATEST HITS 1971–1975 on February 24, 1976.

The original RIAA criteria vs. the new

The RIAA's criteria for Gold Record status for singles has only changed once since 1958: starting in 1989, the qualifications for a single was halved—it need only sell 500,000 copies to qualify for a Gold Record. Aside from diminishing the stature of the award compared to past recipients, the RIAA allowed the new standards to be applied retroactively! So . . .

• Every RIAA Gold Record Award for a single that was uncertified and presented prior to January 1, 1989, was based on sales of 1,000,000 copies in the US. That is, they were million-sellers.

• Every RIAA Gold Record Award for a single since January 1, 1989, was based on sales of 500,000 copies in the US. That is, they may or may not have been million-sellers.
Now, the RIAA left the door open: singles that sold more than a million copies in the US could be re-certified by the RIAA for a brand spanking new Platinum Record Award. The record companies simply had to pay for a new audit and the new certification fee.

I hope this helps and brings some clarity.
Thanks, very informative. Do we know for sure if all of Elvis sales have been re-rectified in line with these rules?
I don’t believe so. For recertification, the record company still has to provide the shipping and returns paperwork. The Wonder of You single is listed on the RIAA site with 500,000 certified sales even though RIAA awarded Elvis with a Gold Record in 1970 for 1,000,000 certified sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Elvis
Anthony

kriss
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Re: SoundScan (US) sales-figures

Post by kriss »

Last edited by kriss on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

kriss

Post by kriss »

Rido

Post by Rido »

kriss on Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:57 am wrote:
https://chartmasters.org/2018/07/destro ... s-presley/
Thanks for the link-can’t trust MJD estimates-inflates Michael Jackson’s sales and lowers everybody else’s

kriss

Post by kriss »

garyt
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by garyt »

I posted this-
MJD; So how do you account for RCA having to use other record pressing plants and shops always running out of Elvis products? These are facts as reported by the media at the time, not fake. Once charted, albums weren't allowed to re-enter the us albums charts; that's whyElvis didn''t chart much.

Several years ago you did sales research on Elvis on UKMIX. A few years later someone did similar research and reached a figure 100million more than yours and he said he was being conservative. You underestimate Elvis' sales and you overestimate Jackson's sales as you're fan of his!

Elvis' real sales won't ever be known as his 1977-78 sales are unknown. in the 50's and early 60's most countries weren't good at keeping track of record sales - the height of Elvis' popularity.

Visit my site for fans elvis-people

MartyMcFly
Registered for: 15 years

Post by MartyMcFly »

Garyt, in my opinion the sales from 1977-78 have been considered by the RIAA. Before his death Elvis sold something below 50 million albums in the US according to different news articles from that time and also if you generously add up the album sales that Ernst gives in Day-by-Day and Recording Sessions. Another 100-120 million albums in 40 years in the US alone make perfect sense to me, considering what we know via Soundscan and extrapolate missing years through RIAA and charts info. An average of 3 million albums per year over 40 years is actually pretty amazing.
In my estimation/opionion he sold around 15 million albums in the US in the 12 months following his death, and that is very huge for that time period and the state of the recording business was in in 1977/78. Only that that number was split over more than 60 LPs available during that time, of which maybe 20 charted on the different Billboard charts. Btw. those albums all charted before his death, so I don't quite understand your comment above, about albums not being allowed to re-enter the charts.
Nevertheless, I think some numbers MJD gives are more on the conservative site. Another poster on UKmix (Basil) arrived at some 180 million albums sold in the US, by using a completely different calculation/estimation approach than MJD.
We will probably never know the truth, but with common sense and sales info about other artists, I don't believe his album sales are above 200 million in the US. More like 175 million.
Adding 80 million singles and 15 million EPs gives a total of 270 million records sold in the US, which easily puts him in the top spot for record sales in the US.

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

I think we can ignore the Chartmasters nonsense. Very clear agenda apparent from the get-go.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Hard Rocker wrote:I think we can ignore the Chartmasters nonsense. Very clear agenda apparent from the get-go.
I don’t know that we can dismiss it out of hand. I’ve read the complete articles and he addresses all of the real sticky points we bring up.

I honestly think he is trying to find the facts. The soundscan info seems to be accurate but it’s Elvis sales 1956-1958, prior to RIAA, and his non-certified sales in the 1960’s I’m not sure is accurately represented.
Why? Before RIAA and even its first 15 years record companies didn’t ask for a lot of audits until they realized the marketing benefit the gold and platinum awards brought.

Do in 1956-57 I don’t think all the documents exist anymore. They have certified what could be proven but there were more sold than what they can prove.

I think the other poster referring to an album not reentering the chart is referring to catalog albums not showing on the top 100 album chart. I’m not sure if that is still a Billboard rule or not.

Always Elvis
Anthony

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Hard Rocker wrote:I think we can ignore the Chartmasters nonsense. Very clear agenda apparent from the get-go.
I don’t know that we can dismiss it out of hand. I’ve read the complete articles and he addresses all of the real sticky points we bring up.

I honestly think he is trying to find the facts. The soundscan info seems to be accurate but it’s Elvis sales 1956-1958, prior to RIAA, and his non-certified sales in the 1960’s I’m not sure is accurately represented.
Why? Before RIAA and even its first 15 years record companies didn’t ask for a lot of audits until they realized the marketing benefit the gold and platinum awards brought.

Do in 1956-57 I don’t think all the documents exist anymore. They have certified what could be proven but there were more sold than what they can prove.

I think the other poster referring to an album not reentering the chart is referring to catalog albums not showing on the top 100 album chart. I’m not sure if that is still a Billboard rule or not.

Always Elvis
Anthony

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

MartyMcFly wrote:Garyt, in my opinion the sales from 1977-78 have been considered by the RIAA. Before his death Elvis sold something below 50 million albums in the US according to different news articles from that time and also if you generously add up the album sales that Ernst gives in Day-by-Day and Recording Sessions. Another 100-120 million albums in 40 years in the US alone make perfect sense to me, considering what we know via Soundscan and extrapolate missing years through RIAA and charts info. An average of 3 million albums per year over 40 years is actually pretty amazing.
In my estimation/opionion he sold around 15 million albums in the US in the 12 months following his death, and that is very huge for that time period and the state of the recording business was in in 1977/78. Only that that number was split over more than 60 LPs available during that time, of which maybe 20 charted on the different Billboard charts. Btw. those albums all charted before his death, so I don't quite understand your comment above, about albums not being allowed to re-enter the charts.
Nevertheless, I think some numbers MJD gives are more on the conservative site. Another poster on UKmix (Basil) arrived at some 180 million albums sold in the US, by using a completely different calculation/estimation approach than MJD.
We will probably never know the truth, but with common sense and sales info about other artists, I don't believe his album sales are above 200 million in the US. More like 175 million.
Adding 80 million singles and 15 million EPs gives a total of 270 million records sold in the US, which easily puts him in the top spot for record sales in the US.
...sounds fair to me...now in conjunction with Sony let`s get the R.I.A.A on board?? :wink:

FredAistair
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by FredAistair »

MartyMcFly on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:54 pm wrote:Garyt, in my opinion the sales from 1977-78 have been considered by the RIAA. Before his death Elvis sold something below 50 million albums in the US according to different news articles from that time and also if you generously add up the album sales that Ernst gives in Day-by-Day and Recording Sessions. Another 100-120 million albums in 40 years in the US alone make perfect sense to me, considering what we know via Soundscan and extrapolate missing years through RIAA and charts info. An average of 3 million albums per year over 40 years is actually pretty amazing.
Nick Keene has been making an effort started years ago, not sure what anyone here thinks of it https://www.elvis.com.au/presley/one-billion-record-sales.shtml

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

FredAistair wrote:
MartyMcFly on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:54 pm wrote:Garyt, in my opinion the sales from 1977-78 have been considered by the RIAA. Before his death Elvis sold something below 50 million albums in the US according to different news articles from that time and also if you generously add up the album sales that Ernst gives in Day-by-Day and Recording Sessions. Another 100-120 million albums in 40 years in the US alone make perfect sense to me, considering what we know via Soundscan and extrapolate missing years through RIAA and charts info. An average of 3 million albums per year over 40 years is actually pretty amazing.
Nick Keene has been making an effort started years ago, not sure what anyone here thinks of it https://www.elvis.com.au/presley/one-billion-record-sales.shtml

Chartmasters, specifically address many of Keene’s assumptions providing data that shows Keene wrong or guilty of including a lot of guess work.

He does the same for tony galvin as well .

I recommend if interested in this subject that you read the chartmasters articles right thru. It is sounding quite accurate.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Rido

Post by Rido »

ForeverElvis on Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:08 am wrote:
FredAistair wrote:

Chartmasters, specifically address many of Keene’s assumptions providing data that shows Keene wrong or guilty of including a lot of guess work.

I recommend if interested in this subject that you read the chartmasters articles right thru. It is sounding quite accurate.

There may well be bloggers on the net that have fairly close estimates of sales,however this particular webmaster compromised himself long ago by overestimating Michael Jackson’s sales and lower rating everyone else’s.Best to leave this one alone.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Rido on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:44 pm wrote:
FredAistair wrote:

There may well be bloggers on the net that have fairly close estimates of sales,however this particular webmaster compromised himself long ago by overestimating Michael Jackson’s sales and lower rating everyone else’s.Best to leave this one alone.
I really think there is much more here.
the webmaster is one of ten people that research the data for the site.
on his profile he doesn't list his favorite artist as MJ so don't know why he would inflate numbers.

https://chartmasters.org/chartmasters-about-us/

I'm just reading the information he's compiled and it is some of the best i've ever seen.
I think if we dismiss this we are making a mistake. It could get us the most accurate info yet considering his sources:

Sources: RIAA, Soundscan, Billboard, Discogs, Elvisoncd, Biwa, elvisnews, worldwideelvis, elvispresleyftd, elvispresleyshop, BuzzAngle, Time-Life, Hanboo, Earthslayer, Ernst Jorgensen, Michael Omansky, LA Times, Reuters, Nashville Post.

Always Elvis
Anthony

Rido

Post by Rido »

ForeverElvis on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:22 am wrote:
FredAistair wrote:

on his profile he doesn't list his favorite artist as MJ so don't know why he would inflate numbers.

I'm just reading the information he's compiled and it is some of the best i've ever seen.
I think if we dismiss this we are making a mistake. It could get us the most accurate info yet considering his sources:

Sources: RIAA, Soundscan, Billboard, Discogs, Elvisoncd, Biwa, elvisnews, worldwideelvis, elvispresleyftd, elvispresleyshop, BuzzAngle, Time-Life, Hanboo, Earthslayer, Ernst Jorgensen, Michael Omansky, LA Times, Reuters, Nashville Post.
I’m going by his past history on U.K. Mix and on Haven.Is he correct that there is a tendency to overinflate Elvis’ sales?Of course,but no more so than any other recording artist.On UK Mix he went after Elvis as no other poster did,downplaying his sales wherever possible.At the end of the day the subject is really unimportant,and we all can believe what we want and no harm done.But,as far asMJD goes,let the buyer beware.

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

Rido on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 pm wrote:
ForeverElvis on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:22 am wrote:
FredAistair wrote:

I’m going by his past history on U.K. Mix and on Haven.Is he correct that there is a tendency to overinflate Elvis’ sales?Of course,but no more so than any other recording artist.On UK Mix he went after Elvis as no other poster did,downplaying his sales wherever possible.At the end of the day the subject is really unimportant,and we all can believe what we want and no harm done.But,as far asMJD goes,let the buyer beware.
what is UK mix and on Haven?
was he challenged on his numbers?

Always Elvis
Anthony

MartyMcFly
Registered for: 15 years

Post by MartyMcFly »

UKmix and Haven are two chart and sales forums, where people discuss and share their passion. Anthony, since you seem to be very interested in charts and Elvis's sales, try those two sites, they have a lot of info for practically every artist.

MJD was one of the posters on both sites many years ago, but he always got rude, when people didn't agree with his opinion, so he got banned. It's true, he's a big Michael Jackson fan and he tried to lower Elvis sales in the past, but I think, judging from his more recent articles, that this changed to more objectivity.

At least from my side, Chartmasters have put an awful lot of work on the Elvis sales matter and for this they should be applauded. In the end it may be nonsense as Hard Rocker stated, but I think it's a good summary and basis to draw your own conclusions about Elvis US sales.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

Anyone have any updated figures on the genre series from 2006, "Elvis Live" ?

I've been seeing the CD reappear quite often in Wal-Mart and have seen people purchase this CD. It just seems to be one of the more popular titles.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Rido

Post by Rido »

minkahed on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:45 pm wrote:Anyone have any updated figures on the genre series from 2006, "Elvis Live" ?

I've been seeing the CD reappear quite often in Wal-Mart and have seen people purchase this CD. It just seems to be one of the more popular titles.
No information on this,but didn’t the “Rock” cd in this series get a gold award recently?If so I suspect the series is selling well

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

minkahed wrote:Anyone have any updated figures on the genre series from 2006, "Elvis Live" ?

...at $5.00 a shot ya cant go wrong :wink:

kriss

Post by kriss »

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

kriss