Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Resurrection

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:00 am

As the final minutes of the ‘68 Special played out, NBC came back from its final commercial break, and Elvis sang a song that was written exclusively for the television special, called

“If I Can Dream.” Simple, intimate and very emotionally powerful, it resurrected Elvis like a phoenix rising from rock-n-roll ashes, and sent shivers down the spines of millions, reminding us that Elvis is truly king

Who can match that If I Can Dream Performance?

Answers on a postcard please.

Re: The Resurrection

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:51 am

This is worth another look:

"If I Can Dream" --> Happy 42nd Birthday !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53981

Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:57 pm

DR John thankyou that is amazing,i love the description "Unleash his dynamic new voice" WOW

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:38 pm

I was watching American Idol rewind the other day and saw a guy sing this as one of his songs. It hurt the guy was so terrible, meanwhile my wife could not understand why I was being like that because she thought he did a wonderful job. I pulled out the 1968 Special and played her the original performance by Elvis and she then agreed that the American Idol guy should have never took that song on.

As a side note the judges agreed that the performance was horrible....all except Paula who said she thought he did a fine job considering this was Elvis' signature song to close out his concert performances.....I love Paula but I wanted to slap her right then...lol

Tony

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:02 pm

I recall hearing that song for the first time. I thought: "Wow, this is Elvis???" I already was a fan but that one blew me away. Such an amazing power - it immediately became one of my all-time favorites from the King.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:16 pm

In 1968, Elvis had a raspy quality to his voice which made his "If I Can Dream" performance even more powerful.
It validated him as something other than a rock n' roll singer!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:21 am

Donny Osmond did a truly forgettable version of this on his and Marie's TV show, soon after Elvis died. It was really poor.

Steve Lecher

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:48 am

elvisbot wrote:In 1968, Elvis had a raspy quality to his voice which made his "If I Can Dream" performance even more powerful.
It validated him as something other than a rock n' roll singer!

I hear the same voice as reminding everyone that he was the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:31 am

stevelecher wrote:Donny Osmond did a truly forgettable version of this on his and Marie's TV show, soon after Elvis died. It was really poor.

That's a shocker.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:35 am

If I can Dream gives me hope and gives me the shivers everytime i listen or watch the deluxe 68 dvd. ::rocks

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Elvis himself, during the TROUBLE / GUITAR MAN opening number.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:13 pm

jeanno wrote:

Elvis himself, during the TROUBLE / GUITAR MAN opening number.

Trouble/Guitar man opening number is infrickincredible as well!