Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis Movie Statistics

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 am

This thread is wonderful and I appreciate all the great effort and information provided.

Out of curiousity though, say, 1975, the 18.0 rating for the movie, "That's The Way It Is", does that reflect the actual figure of audience viewership, 18 million ?

Or an estimation of households tuned in at the time ?

Was an 18.0 rating a good showing for the year, 1975 ?

This is very intersting ...

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:43 am

GI Blues could ve a very dramatic movie with Elvis's own and true story in the army ending with a triumphant return in the States, but with Leiber and Stoller's music (not happened because the Colonel banned them). It could be another and even better King Creole but with a more matured Elvis. I think the success of this real script would also did even better at the box office than the mediocre actual film

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Check out my new profile picture. It's the deleted "I Don't Want To" sequence from GGG.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:57 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Check out my new profile picture. It's the deleted "I Don't Want To" sequence from GGG.

Great photo, never seen it before. Presumably there should be film of this out take somewhere.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:18 pm

The song was in the film as previewed for the trades in Hollywood, along with "Where Do You Come From?" At the eleventh hour, after all the Technicolor prints had been struck (probably around 150 copies) Hal Wallis decided to trim both songs out of reel 2. If you ever find a 35mm print, you'll note that reel 2 is only about 10 minutes instead of the average 15 to 20.

When I worked on THIS IS ELVIS, we were approached by a collector claiming to have the full length preview print. Unfortunately, the producers (Solt/Leo) weren't interested and never followed up. I kept the persons name and when I did try to contact him a few years later, the phone number didn't work and he never replied to my letter.

Was his claim true? I don't know, but the fact that so many prints were struck before the songs were cut would give one hope that somewhere, the footage has survived.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:51 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:The song was in the film as previewed for the trades in Hollywood, along with "Where Do You Come From?" At the eleventh hour, after all the Technicolor prints had been struck (probably around 150 copies) Hal Wallis decided to trim both songs out of reel 2. If you ever find a 35mm print, you'll note that reel 2 is only about 10 minutes instead of the average 15 to 20.

When I worked on THIS IS ELVIS, we were approached by a collector claiming to have the full length preview print. Unfortunately, the producers (Solt/Leo) weren't interested and never followed up. I kept the persons name and when I did try to contact him a few years later, the phone number didn't work and he never replied to my letter.

Was his claim true? I don't know, but the fact that so many prints were struck before the songs were cut would give one hope that somewhere, the footage has survived.

Great photo, and enjoyed reading story about it. Thanks for sharing.

Any chances posting a larger size?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:58 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:The song was in the film as previewed for the trades in Hollywood, along with "Where Do You Come From?" At the eleventh hour, after all the Technicolor prints had been struck (probably around 150 copies) Hal Wallis decided to trim both songs out of reel 2. If you ever find a 35mm print, you'll note that reel 2 is only about 10 minutes instead of the average 15 to 20.

Great photo, and enjoyed reading story about it. Thanks for sharing.

Any chances posting a larger size?

Great story. I am one of those rare ones here that really like the movie and soundtrack. The title song is a great rocker.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Where did you get the photo?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:29 pm

Here's the full image. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:15 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Here's the full image. Enjoy!

Yep. I have this original still also. I have the complete set of 12 USA color stills plus the complete set of 8 color stills from England. It took a long time to get all of them.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:21 pm

That's great, congratulations. They are VERY rare!

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:17 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:That's great, congratulations. They are VERY rare!

Yes I think they are. They all are pretty good with great color.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Terrific thread! I worked out some numbers for Elvis' film salaries 60-64 based upon the information given here, and it's shocking how underpayed he was for the Paramount films.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Terrific thread! I worked out some numbers for Elvis' film salaries 60-64 based upon the information given here, and it's shocking how underpayed he was for the Paramount films.

Can you post your work? It would be great to read.

Thanks!

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:51 pm

His claim is certainly possible. If 150 copies were struck, there is certain a possibility that 1 or 2 went astray (or abroad) before the trimming could take place.

Theoretically the lost songs would exist in Paramount vaults - but Paramount isn't Turner/MGM/Warner or even Universal. Paramount are not highly regarded for their archiving facilities in the same way as those studios. While their early films are stored in a variety of archives, my understanding is that outtakes and other such footage is not stored alongside them in the vast majority of cases, with their archiving and restoration programme not starting until at least a decade after Turner/Warner. While the latter has made a pledge to release every title in their archive in home video format over the next decade (and the archive series already has around 1200 titiles), Paramount has released very little from its archives.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Mike C wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Terrific thread! I worked out some numbers for Elvis' film salaries 60-64 based upon the information given here, and it's shocking how underpayed he was for the Paramount films.

Can you post your work? It would be great to read.

Thanks!

Mike, I'll try to do that tonight. I get timed out on this computer here at work, so I can only do lengthy posts at home.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:41 am

Ok, based upon the box office grosses posted by Bob/Honeytalk and the information regarding Elvis' salaries posted by Greystoke I came up with the following:
G.I. Blues: $497,500
Flaming Star: $1,200,000
Wild In The Country: $1,500,000
Blue Hawaii: $527,500
Follow That Dream: $1,900,000
Kid Galahad: $1,750,000
Girls, Girls, Girls: $445,000
It Happened At The World's Fair: $1,500,000
Fun In Acupulco: $407,500
Kissin' Cousins: $1,750,000
Viva Las Vegas: $2,750,000
Roustabout: $447,500

I did this pretty quickly yesterday folks, but I'm pretty sure my math (not my strong suit) is accurate. If anybody wishes to double check I'd really appreciate it. Just take the movie grosses from Bob's post, apply the salary formulas from Greystoke's post and see if your figures match mine. For example VLV grossed $5,000,000. Elvis got an up front salary of $500,000 ($400,000 plus $75,000 for expenses plus $25,000 for recording costs) plus 50% of the box office gross after the first $500,000. So the math would be $5,000,000 - $500,000 = $4,500,000 x 50% = $2,250,000 + $500,000 = $2,750,000.

A salary of a million dollars or more was major in the early to mid 60's. Granted Elvis made the bulk of the money from getting a percentage of the box office gross (and some pretty high percentages at that!), but the bottom line is that - with the exception of the Paramount films - he was getting some serious coin for that time period! Having said that, I'm flabbergasted that his salary at Paramount didn't go up after the success of Blue Hawaii.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:44 pm

I just re-checked my math and I was off on Elvis' VLV salary. He actually made $2,750,000. I edited my previous post accordingly.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:22 pm

I've worked out the salaries for the remaining 60's films. I'll post my results tonight or tomorrow.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:10 pm

About Girl Happy: Elvis played a professional singer here, not a pilot, a racecar driver, a soldier, a scuba diver, a fisherman or a rodeo singin' cowboy. So, the role for him, even easy and undemanding , was far more natural than others. It was a musical comedy beach movie far better than PHA, HS, F&J, Clambake, Fun in Acapulco, Kissin'Cousins, It Happened at the World's Fair and even Roustabout (my opinion). The light weight rockers from GH were far better than "Beyond the Bend" or "Happy Ending" from the IHAWF movie, "Slicin' Sand" from Blue Hawaii, "Poison Ivy League" from Roustabout or "Didja Ever" from G.I. Blues. Elvis played in Girl Happy a light version of himself and the couple he made with Shelley here is second to only Ann Margret in Viva Las Vegas. So Girl Happy to me is more entertaining than even G. I Blues and Blue Hawaii. And about Girls!.Girls!.Girls.-the only thing good here is the title song, Return to Sender and I Don't Wanna to be Tied, but the rest of the movie and the songs are almost unbearable to watch or listen. So Girl Happy is to me (and a lot of Romanian fans) one of the most flashiest flicks of Elvis in the 60's- surpassed only by Viva Las Vegas.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:33 pm

To keep the important Elvis movie documentation in one place, here is a link to my post on the un-made JACK VALENTINE project:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75794

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Hal Wallis made a lot of money with Elvis and gave him the lowest salary from 1957 to 1965. Only in Elvis' final film with him (Easy Come, Easy Go), Presley received a 500.000 dolars pay-ironically this was the worst of all - equally with Paradise, Hawaiian Style in substandard quality. In the 1965-1969 era Elvis earned millions of dollars despite the decreasing quality of the movies and the lower box office income. MGM, United Artists and Universal paid a lot, unfortunately, prolonging Elvis movie carrer with 4 years-a completely waste of time and talent.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 am

jurasic1968 wrote:About Girl Happy: Elvis played a professional singer here, not a pilot, a racecar driver, a soldier, a scuba diver, a fisherman or a rodeo singin' cowboy. So, the role for him, even easy and undemanding , was far more natural than others. It was a musical comedy beach movie far better than PHA, HS, F&J, Clambake, Fun in Acapulco, Kissin'Cousins, It Happened at the World's Fair and even Roustabout (my opinion). The light weight rockers from GH were far better than "Beyond the Bend" or "Happy Ending" from the IHAWF movie, "Slicin' Sand" from Blue Hawaii, "Poison Ivy League" from Roustabout or "Didja Ever" from G.I. Blues. Elvis played in Girl Happy a light version of himself and the couple he made with Shelley here is second to only Ann Margret in Viva Las Vegas. So Girl Happy to me is more entertaining than even G. I Blues and Blue Hawaii. And about Girls!.Girls!.Girls.-the only thing good here is the title song, Return to Sender and I Don't Wanna to be Tied, but the rest of the movie and the songs are almost unbearable to watch or listen. So Girl Happy is to me (and a lot of Romanian fans) one of the most flashiest flicks of Elvis in the 60's- surpassed only by Viva Las Vegas.

To me, Girl Happy is one of the blandest of all Elvis films. With the exception of a couple of half-decent songs (or, rather, guilty pleasures such as Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce), there is very little to recommend this film. Elvis literally sleepwalks through much of it, and the script is as dull as ditchwater and the direction is almost non-existent. Films such as G I Blues, Blue Hawaii, GGG, FIA, IHAWF and Roustabout at least had decent production values and, in most cases, decent supporting casts - Girl Happy has neither. It's certainly a better film than Clambake and harum Scarum, but at least their awfulness makes them entertaining - Girl Happy is just an Elvis-film-by-numbers!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:23 pm

[quote][Figures are not to be confused with theatre boxoffice money, being instead the amounts collected by the distributors from exhibitors."/quote]

I have just latched onto this thread and can't confess to have read all 6 pages of posts, but going by the above quote from the very first post all this talk of salaries and gross profits is a non starter if the true box office take isn't known as wasn't Elvis paid a percentage of the gross?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:06 am

Just some clarification on what you've been saying above, Pete. Viva Las Vegas grossed over $9.4 million domestically, but earned around $5.1 million in rentals -- the latter being the measure of a picture's commercial success at this time and what Elvis's participation deals were most often paid on (over-and-above his salary and any bonuses, of course). Viva Las Vegas earned the aforementioned $5.1 million, but on negative costs of over $3 million, its actual profits were in the region of $1.5 - $2 million. This, bearing in mind that Elvis would earn 50% of the film's profits after the first $500,000 recouped. Therefore, Elvis's participation on Viva Las Vegas earned him around $500,000 - $750,000 on top of his salary.
This, depending on the film's ultimate production costs, of which we have a rough appreciation.

I don't agree that Elvis was in anyway underpaid or shortchanged at Paramount -- other than the fact that better material wasn't forthcoming. Hal Wallis was a great producer and afforded Elvis grade A productions which Parker surely negotiated on the strength of when achieving more lucrative agreements with MGM and United Artists. Ultimately, there became less to appreciate on screen as Elvis's box office appeal dwindled and justifying his salary took a major effect on the entire negative cost of his vehicles. Wallis spent less on the star, but put more on the screen.