Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Sun Records/Elvis in the 50:s.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:34 am

Most of us are waiting for the Sun project by Ernst to be released. I´m sure it´s going to be very interesting. After all, this Sun era is what made it all possible...
Some people prefer the 50:s, some the 60:s and some the 70:s. Then there are those who, like me, enjoy all the decades.
But if we look closer at all the 50:s material, we can split that into two parts: The Sun Records and what came after that.
We all know the Sun material and what it meant to EP:s career. But how many actually prefer the Sun material?
Great songs like "That´s All Right", "Good Rockin´ Tonight", "Mystery Train" and "Trying To Get To You" are some of them.
If you should compare them with RCA songs like "Jailhouse Rock", "Dixieland Rock", "A Big Hunk O´ Love", "I Need Your Love Tonight", "Hound Dog" and "Love Me", how would you choose?
All the songs mentioned are of course only examples.
So, it´s Sun versus RCA...

Re: The Sun Records/Elvis in the 50:s.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Let's see.

Would I prefer about 15 SUN songs or about 100 RCA songs from the fifties.

mmmmmmm

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:29 pm

To me, there's no versus!
It's the SUN recordings, it's the 50's RCA recordings, it's the first half 60's, it's the second half 60's, it's the 70's studio recordings and the 70's live recordings.
Love 'em all!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Myself adores the Sun years! If one could wear out the Sunrise-CD, I would´ve done that a long time ago - it´s my ultimate favourite Elvis CD! :lol:
O.S. ::rocks

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Old Shep wrote:Myself adores the Sun years! If one could wear out the Sunrise-CD, I would´ve done that a long time ago - it´s my ultimate favourite Elvis CD! :lol:

Thank you for your reply. That was my point exactly: Which do you prefer/like better?

It´s not about quantity. Clear enough for you, KiwiAlan?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Scarre wrote:...If you should compare them with RCA songs like "Jailhouse Rock", "Dixieland Rock", "A Big Hunk O´ Love", "I Need Your Love Tonight", "Hound Dog" and "Love Me", how would you choose?
...So, it´s Sun versus RCA...

The stuff that Sam Phillips released on those Sun singles was rockabilly.

With the move to RCA, the music became more rock 'n' roll, and hence more commercial.

But to choose between the two........................................ can't do it !

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:41 pm

Scarre wrote: "Thank you for your reply. That was my point exactly"
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

O.S. :mrgreen: ::rocks :mrgreen:

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Folks - it´s [u]SUN[/u] `nough said?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Elvis' Sun recordings are my favorites of all of his recordings. The fifties recordings for RCA have a lot of energy and excitement, though, and I enjoy listening to those, too.

The most interesting aspect of this is listening to Elvis' growth as a singer from the ballads like "Harbor Lights" and "Blue Moon", through his incredible rise to success between 1955 and 1957, culminating in that June 1958 session in Nashville where he demonstrated how much he had learned in four years with his accomplished performances on "A Big Hunk O' Love", "A Fool Such As I". "I Got Stung", and "I Need Your Love Tonight". The vocal performances and musicianship here set the stage for the heights he would reach in RCA Studio B in the early 1960s.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:Elvis' Sun recordings are my favorites of all of his recordings. The fifties recordings for RCA have a lot of energy and excitement, though, and I enjoy listening to those, too.

The most interesting aspect of this is listening to Elvis' growth as a singer from the ballads like "Harbor Lights" and "Blue Moon", through his incredible rise to success between 1955 and 1957, culminating in that June 1958 session in Nashville where he demonstrated how much he had learned in four years with his accomplished performances on "A Big Hunk O' Love", "A Fool Such As I". "I Got Stung", and "I Need Your Love Tonight". The vocal performances and musicianship here set the stage for the heights he would reach in RCA Studio B in the early 1960s.

What a beautiful, thoughtful reply!

---

It's hard to choose one classic era over another, but it cannot be denied that the Presley Sun sides still retain the mystery, the magic and the freshness after all these years. They were made when no one was listening, but a teenager from Memphis was aching to be heard. They paved the way for the pop culture explosion in 1956 which still resonates today. They are simply amazing recordings.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:37 pm

To me, and I know this won't be a popular opinion, but the Sun recordings are a collection of what was to come. A raw unpolished sounding young 19-20 year old who was finding his way to stardom. The RCA recordings from 1956-58 represent the true rocker. The post army recordings in 1960 represent the last of the true rocker and the beginning of the crooner ballad artist that he would eventually become. As great as Elvis was in 1968-70, he wasn't the real badass rockin' rebel that he was in '56.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:44 am

How nuts would we get on this message board if they found and Included "Tiger Man" as recorded at Sun on this package. I am sure that would be good for another 10-20 pages of posts!!!!!

Burning Love

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:02 am

Regardless of what songs are found and included on the Sun project, it will merit 10-20 pages of commentary on this board. I'm looking forward to the chance to hear it and discuss it with the other fans of Sun Records and Elvis' recordings on that label.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 am

I agree that by 1957 and 1958, Elvis was already showing how much he had learnt since the sun years: Jailhouse Rock and A Big Hunk O´Love are two great examples of electrifying and top notch rock´n´roll music. But the first three years remain my favorite, from Harbor Lights to Anyway You Want Me. For me, when I hear that particular era, it´s mostly about rawness, freedom and, as the Doc said, mystery. Mystery of the SUN years, of course, but also the mystery of the rare home video footage from that time (remember that one at the beginning of Elvis´56 with that beautiful bright color or the Manolia Garden one with Presley singing I´m Left, You´re Right, She´s Gone). And, to close the circle, the mystery of the Hound Dog sessions with that ton of outtakes - all of them vanished - to get 3 masterful tracks and those beautiful Alfred Wertheimer´s shots to give you an idea of the excitement and commitment in those particular studio sessions.

Top 5 TRACKS
5- MY BABY LEFT ME
4- HOUND DOG
3- GOOD ROCKIN´ TONIGHT
2- HEARTBREAK HOTEL
1- MYSTERY TRAIN

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:57 am

No way I can choose between Sun and the early RCA recordings.
Elvis was inventing himself during the Sun years which is fascinating to hear. It brought us some excellent tracks like That's All Right, Baby Let's Play House and Mystery Train but after his switch to RCA the house was built on the foundation created at Sun. What is a house without its foundation?

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:21 am

Burning Love wrote:How nuts would we get on this message board if they found and Included "Tiger Man" as recorded at Sun on this package.
I am sure that would be good for another 10-20 pages of posts!!!!!

That won't happen.

But don't worry !

The book itself will generate those pages of posts !

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:45 pm

ColinB wrote:
Burning Love wrote:How nuts would we get on this message board if they found and Included "Tiger Man" as recorded at Sun on this package.
I am sure that would be good for another 10-20 pages of posts!!!!!

That won't happen.

But don't worry !

The book itself will generate those pages of posts !

No it won't. An Elvis 1977 or 'worst Elvis song' thread is more likely to go on from 10 or 20 pages than a thread about the quality of his work or Elvis in his prima. We are only heading for 20 pages if something is turning out to be seriously wrong with the FTD Sun Project, I am afraid...

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:38 pm

The Sun recordings set the stage, but it was the warhorses on Elvis' Golden Records primarily that conquered the world.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:58 pm

Pete Dube wrote:The Sun recordings set the stage, but it was the warhorses on Elvis' Golden Records primarily that conquered the world.

Pete, you raise a good point. As much as I love the Sun recordings, the one album I would recommend to anyone who wanted to understand the Elvis phenomenon of the 1950s would be "Elvis' Golden Records".

Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
It's hard to choose one classic era over another, but it cannot be denied that the Presley Sun sides still retain the mystery, the magic and the freshness after all these years. They were made when no one was listening, but a teenager from Memphis was aching to be heard. They paved the way for the pop culture explosion in 1956 which still resonates today. They are simply amazing recordings.

Yes, they are simply amazing recordings. They contain unmistakable elements of desperation (to show-off all of that untapped, pent-up talent), and relief -- even joy -- that someone is finally noticing.

And always, always, a reverent nod to Sam, Scotty, and Bill.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 am

SUN Lover wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes, they are simply amazing recordings. They contain unmistakable elements of desperation (to show-off all of that untapped, pent-up talent), and relief -- even joy -- that someone is finally noticing.

And always, always, a reverent nod to Sam, Scotty, and Bill.

And Marion!

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:08 am

Diggy wrote:To me, and I know this won't be a popular opinion, but the Sun recordings are a collection of what was to come. A raw unpolished sounding young 19-20 year old who was finding his way to stardom. The RCA recordings from 1956-58 represent the true rocker. The post army recordings in 1960 represent the last of the true rocker and the beginning of the crooner ballad artist that he would eventually become. As great as Elvis was in 1968-70, he wasn't the real badass rockin' rebel that he was in '56.

Um, Elvis rocked on "Mystery Train" and "Baby Let's Play House" as well as he ever did in 1956. Nothing raw and unpolished about those two stunning tracks.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:49 am

midnightx wrote:
Diggy wrote:To me, and I know this won't be a popular opinion, but the Sun recordings are a collection of what was to come. A raw unpolished sounding young 19-20 year old who was finding his way to stardom. The RCA recordings from 1956-58 represent the true rocker. The post army recordings in 1960 represent the last of the true rocker and the beginning of the crooner ballad artist that he would eventually become. As great as Elvis was in 1968-70, he wasn't the real badass rockin' rebel that he was in '56.

Um, Elvis rocked on "Mystery Train" and "Baby Let's Play House" as well as he ever did in 1956. Nothing raw and unpolished about those two stunning tracks.

I do think Mystery Train and Baby Let's Play House are more pure ('less produced') and raw than the rock songs he did in 1956 but this does not mean these songs are of lesser quality. No way!

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Alexander wrote:
midnightx wrote:Um, Elvis rocked on "Mystery Train" and "Baby Let's Play House" as well as he ever did in 1956. Nothing raw and unpolished about those two stunning tracks.

I do think Mystery Train and Baby Let's Play House are more pure ('less produced') and raw than the rock songs he did in 1956 but this does not mean these songs are of lesser quality. No way!

Truth be told, "raw unpolished" implies something crude and not quite accomplished, which cannot be said of the five Sun singles released in 1954-55.

Recall when the Grand Ole Opry's Jim Denny was actually angry when he saw Elvis, Scotty and Bill show up for their October 2, 1954 appearance -- he wanted to know where the rest of the band was.

In Elvis, Sam Phillips had found something magical, and he knew it.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
And Marion!

Absolutely! A reverent nod to Marion, too!

(In fact, I've already put in my request to come back as Marion in my next life.)