Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: A question about "Crawfish"

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:02 am

This must have been the inspiration for the "Crawfish" sequence - filmed for Snader Telescriptions eight years before "King Creole":
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tep2 ... lues_music

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:06 am

davepenny wrote:This must have been the inspiration for the "Crawfish" sequence - filmed for Snader Telescriptions eight years before "King Creole":
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tep2 ... lues_music

Good find. I would say you were right on the money!

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:23 am

davepenny wrote:This must have been the inspiration for the "Crawfish" sequence - filmed for Snader Telescriptions eight years before "King Creole":
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tep2_herb-jeffries-basin-st-blues_music

Nice to see this link cited again -- obviously, "Crawfish" is a homage to "Basin St. Blues," not to mention how the film sequence in that 1955 video directly influenced the opening of 1958's "King Creole."

Of course, I also hear quite a bit of Harry Belafonte in the style and arrangement of Weisman and Wise's "Crawfish." Thanks for sharing the link -- Herb Jeffries has never been on my radar, what a nice singer.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:03 pm

Herb Jeffries sung with the Duke Ellinton Orchestra in the 40's.

colonel snow

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Herb Jeffries is typical of those big-voiced, bass-baritone singers that were popular in the late swing era, which would also include Arthur Prysock and Billy Eckstine. As Colonel Snow pointed out, he sang with Duke Ellington's Orchestra in the early 1940s, but was most famous as the "Bronze Buckaroo" - one of Hollywood's few black cowboy actors.

The "Basin Street Blues" sequence was filmed originally in 1950 for Snader Telescriptions (short musical films employed to fill up dead air time between scheduled TV programmes), but like many ST's it was later reused in longer cinema releases, such as the faux Apollo Theatre Show r&b/r&r films. You can actually see the join between Willie Bryant's introduction and the start of the original film...disguised with the theatrical "magic" of an opening curtain :lol:

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Fantastic topic!

Great information everyone's sharing.

I've learned a lot about "King Creole." It is my favorite Elvis movie. I know you probably thought it was FTD.

::rocks

Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:42 pm

EPA4368 wrote:Fantastic topic!

I've learned a lot about "King Creole." It is my favorite Elvis movie. I know you probably thought it was FTD.

::rocks

"Follow That Dream" must be #2?

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:Fantastic topic!

"Follow That Dream" must be #2?

"Follow That Dream" must be #2 :D :D

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:30 pm

Sorry if this question was asked before, but I wasn't able to trace any evidence of it through the search-function.

You all must be familar with this great track:

The label says that it is from the film. But I never read anything about this. Is it?
Especially interesting of course since it's also on RCA.

phpBB [video]

By looking at the writing on the record (in the 1st pic, and the pic below), one can see that at least 2 different pressings exist of this.

Last edited by Bob-Holland on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:34 pm

Funny.

Elvis cuts a song for a movie about shell fish and it's a classic - cos it's a 50s song.

He does it again in 1962, with wittier lyrics and a beautiful melody and it's considered a stinker.

Go figure.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:52 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Funny.

Elvis cuts a song for a movie about shell fish and it's a classic - cos it's a 50s song.

He does it again in 1962, with wittier lyrics and a beautiful melody and it's considered a stinker.

Go figure.

Do you really think it is as simple as that?

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:06 am

as a hobby I am a recording engineer. did some demos, remastered some work, transfered vinal over to cd. With the new systems that are out there today, you can do more now with mono, than in the years past. ( like putting echo, or reverb on it so on and so forth ) but you can not remix-persay, a mono tape.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:46 am

Bob-Holland wrote:Sorry if this question was asked before, but I wasn't able to trace any evidence of it through the search-function.

You all must be familiar with this great track:

The label says that it is from the film. But I never read anything about this. Is it?
Especially interesting of course since it's also on RCA.

phpBB [video]

By looking at the writing on the record (in the 1st pic, and the pic below), one can see that at least 2 different pressings exist of this.

Wonderful post!

New to my eyes and ears, and it may just inspire a new topic, if you don't mind.

Go figure.

OK, you got it.

It's not a question of musical crustaceans, nor is it down to "Crawfish" being "a 50s song."

"Crawfish" is a sinewy, lascivious track perfectly complementing the sight, sound and feel of New Orleans in 1958's "King Creole."

"Song of the Shrimp" is rightfully seen as a piece of fluff, movie soundtrack fodder existing as nothing more than a plot device, no matter how well-sung or cute the lyric.

Hope this helps.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 am

Go figure.

Good bit of lateral thinking there, SLG Man ! It just shows Elvis's adaptability. Song of The Shrimp has a very pretty tune, is charmingly sung and beautifully filmed. I venture to suggest that, had its title been "New Orleans Calypso", it wouldn't have got a quarter of the flack it's received over the years.

Crawfish is so brilliantly performed that we tend to ignore the lyrics which, in the 60s movie era, would have been savaged.

Great topic, with lots of intelligent input. I just love detective stories about Elvis's recordings and recording sessions.

Steve Morse

Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:16 am

Steve Morse wrote:Great topic, with lots of intelligent input.

Thank you!

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:09 am

Steve Morse wrote:

Go figure.

Good bit of lateral thinking there, SLG Man ! It just shows Elvis's adaptability. Song of The Shrimp has a very pretty tune, is charmingly sung and beautifully filmed. I venture to suggest that, had its title been "New Orleans Calypso", it wouldn't have got a quarter of the flack it's received over the years.

Crawfish is so brilliantly performed that we tend to ignore the lyrics which, in the 60s movie era, would have been savaged.

And funny how a member is instantly "shot down" if he has just a different point of view of a 50's song... I mean, it's performed great and all, New Orleans style/feel or not, but it is a song with ridiculous lyrics, IMO. That was his point, I guess. So I have to kinda agree with Swingin' Little Guitar Man here... Though I'll probably be shot down for it too. It may be not a matter of it being a "50's song"... But in the end it's funny how one member can be criticized instantly for taking this point of view of an actual song from the era.

Notice that I'm talking about the actual music, not if one enjoys it or not. That's a different matter and everyone has their right to enjoy it or not.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:09 am

billyblues wrote:And funny how a member is instantly "shot down" if he has just a different point of view of a 50's song...

Where does this happen?

Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
billyblues wrote:And funny how a member is instantly "shot down" if he has just a different point of view of a 50's song...

Where does this happen?

HaHaHa Post of the week!

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:29 am

Crawfish
Song of the shrimp

Both songs about sea creatures.

Both good songs. Two songs that are very similiar.

I wish Elvis had done more sea creature songs.

You can't miss with that subject matter.

See I got em
See the size
Striped and cleaned
before your eyes

I saw 3 shrimp in the water
2 were old and grey
I swam a little bit closer
I heard the 3rd one say

Great stuff.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 am

ekenee wrote:Two songs that are very similiar.

Don't think so.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Two songs that are very similiar.

Don't think so.

yep.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:50 am

Are people really comparing the qualities of "Crawfish" and "Song of the Shrimp" to each other and concluding they sit on the same plane? I mean, really?

One is a playful bluesy number with a guy singing about catching his dinner. The other is about talking shrimps in shrimpland.

Mmmmm.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:10 am

Matthew wrote:Are people really comparing the qualities of "Crawfish" and "Song of the Shrimp" to each other and concluding they sit on the same plane? I mean, really?

Oh, yes.

Two or three of our finest members.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:46 am

Now take Mr. Crawfish in your hand
He's gonna look good in the frying pan
If you fry him crisp or boil him right
He'll be sweeter than sugar with every bite.

-------------------------------------------------------
Oh pardon me, I didn't notice how sophisticated those lyrics were.
Excuse me Matthew and Mr. doctor.

Get some perspective here.

They are both scene driven numbers for movies.

Song of the shrimp is a nice Calypso and gets an unwarrented bad rap.
Yes, its a piece of whimsy, but its meant to be nothing but.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:03 am

You miss the point if you base your entire argument solely on a lyrical comparison. It is the vocal execution, the production, and musical arrangement that really sets to the two tracks apart. One is ultra-cool and one is lightweight soundtrack track. It isn't about fawning over every recorded note from the 50's and trashing all post-1961 soundtrack recordings -- the audio evidence paints a very clear picture about the realities of both tracks.