Complete Masters compared/contrasted with Franklin Mint

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Ty@TheFilmFrontier

Re: Complete Masters compared/contrasted with Franklin Mint

Post by Ty@TheFilmFrontier »

skatterbrane wrote:The main reason I did not go for the FM version is because I do not need a "themed" collection. I want a historical archive. And the Sony box is just that. I can make my own theme CDs from that archive.
I took the same approach, but in reverse. I can make my own "historical archive" CDs from the FM "themed" collection. Even the Sony set, I would have changed some things around. In either case, I would have only touched the original CDs once, to back up. At that point, song sequence might as well be up to me, anyway. I enjoy doing that kind of thing. Just depends on your taste.

In addition to the sequencing, if that is a consideration, Sony set definitely has a huge advantage on packaging, not to mention the book and additional tracks. If money had not been a consideration, or if the prices had been significantly closer at that time, I would have went with Sony. I'm happy with my FM set, though, because I did not have to continue waiting to get the tracks I had been reading about here for a couple of years by then - including in this spectacular thread, which is an invaluable resource, no matter which set you own.

JEFF d
Registered for: 21 years

Post by JEFF d »

elvis-fan wrote:
Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I guess the Franklin Mint set is no longer available because the site seems to be down... :(
Availability seems to come and go. The FM set was gone for quite awhile, but then returned again about midway through last year, and I was able to purchase a copy (well worth it for the sound quality of the songs; packaging, as others have noted, leaves much to be desired; I didn't mind the "themed" discs, but will place them in my own order for future listens anyway; repro SUN 209 45 RPM is awesome). Just keep an eye on the main franklintmint.com site for it. The dedicated site has probably been retired.
Thanks for that information... I can't recall what it was selling for but I know it's a fair bit cheaper than TCM with (from what I've been told here) are the same VA remasters... which is great news! If it becomes available for under $400 I just may grab a copy...
I really dont think they are any longer available, they had them markdown on the Franklin Mint website a while back for $200 to get rid of what they had in stock.

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

"Beginners Luck" is missing piano intro.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

Juan Luis wrote:"Beginners Luck" is missing piano intro.
That intro was never part of the master until the Double Features came out and it hasn't been since. This isn't surprising and it's probably the right way to have included it on these sets.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

stevelecher wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:"Beginners Luck" is missing piano intro.
That intro was never part of the master until the Double Features came out and it hasn't been since. This isn't surprising and it's probably the right way to have included it on these sets.
I think it's on the original vinyl cause it reads 2:33... whereas the FTD as well reads 2:25. The Time/Life has the piano intro as well. I can't play the vinyl right now to be 100% certain. Though the song with intro is 2:32 on Time-Life.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

The vinyl never featured the piano solo. It was never on record during his lifetime.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

stevelecher wrote:The vinyl never featured the piano solo. It was never on record during his lifetime.
I'll take your word for it if you have heard the vinyl lately or remember. Thanks.

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by Chris Roberts »

I agree, the piano intro isn't on my original mono LP. I was surprised to hear the piano when it was released on the double features.

shoplinhchi2014
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by shoplinhchi2014 »

"Any Way You Want Me" sounds different on complete masters. E's attack on "darlin" when he sings "my darlin you hold the key" doesn't sound the same when compared to the 50s box or the 2005 version of the "Elvis" album.

----------------------------------------------------
ImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by Chris Roberts »

shoplinhchi2014 wrote:"Any Way You Want Me" sounds different on complete masters. E's attack on "darlin" when he sings "my darlin you hold the key" doesn't sound the same when compared to the 50s box or the 2005 version of the "Elvis" album.

Interesting, I must listen to them both sometime. I certainly haven't noticed a difference but if there is, the complete masters release would be the original. As the box set preface states all tracks "constitute the masters as released during Elvis' lifetime".

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

shoplinhchi2014 wrote:"Any Way You Want Me" sounds different on complete masters. E's attack on "darlin" when he sings "my darlin you hold the key" doesn't sound the same when compared to the 50s box or the 2005 version of the "Elvis" album.

I think for that one they might have removed the subtle mike pop on that line.This is the difference.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by When In Rome »

Mike C wrote:

I think for that one they might have removed the subtle mike pop on that line. This is the difference.
It's true, and a little bugbear of mine, as I think that particular edit takes a little something away from Elvis' performance, I'm glad to say the recent 'Elvis' FTD classic album is a bit more forgiving to that mike pop and it is reinstated, as it always should be...

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

When In Rome wrote:
Mike C wrote:

I think for that one they might have removed the subtle mike pop on that line. This is the difference.
It's true, and a little bugbear of mine, as I think that particular edit takes a little something away from Elvis' performance, I'm glad to say the recent 'Elvis' FTD classic album is a bit more forgiving to that mike pop and it is reinstated, as it always should be...
My sentiments exactly. :wink:

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher