Complete Masters compared/contrasted with Franklin Mint

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Claus

Re: Complete Masters compared/contrasted with Franklin Mint

Post by Claus »

Matthew wrote:"Return to Sender" is a new mix with a wider stereo image than previous releases. The band is hard left and backing vocals hard right on the '07 remaster.
Isn't it the original stereo mix. i know that a narrower mix exists but I'd always thought that it was a remix.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Claus wrote:
Matthew wrote:"Return to Sender" is a new mix with a wider stereo image than previous releases. The band is hard left and backing vocals hard right on the '07 remaster.
Isn't it the original stereo mix. i know that a narrower mix exists but I'd always thought that it was a remix.
Possibly - I don't have an original LP to reference against.

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Just a question for those that have the Franklin Mint Masters boxset, how is the sound on the new Kissin´ Cousins masters? :?. Thank you!. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Claus

Post by Claus »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Just a question for those that have the Franklin Mint Masters boxset, how is the sound on the new Kissin´ Cousins masters? :?. Thank you!. Bye for now :smt006.
Almost as bad as the soundtrack itself.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Claus wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Almost as bad as the soundtrack itself.
Why :oops:?, Elvis sang so beautiful in this soundtrack :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Claus

Post by Claus »

I love Tender Feeling but I don't really care for the rest. The sound is quite good for what it is, but it's not a major upgrade compared to the Double Features disc. I don't think noise reduction was used because there's plenty of hiss on most of the tracks.

Frankie Teardrop
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by Frankie Teardrop »

I'm with you, Mike. I dig a lot of the Kissin' Cousins soundtrack. Smokey Mountain Boy and Barefoot Ballad are the only outright stinkers.

"Computers may outthink us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are"
- Quote sometimes attributed to Elvis Presley

HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

"Once is Enough" was always a favorite. The saxophone adds a lot! Was that Boots?

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Frankie Teardrop wrote:I'm with you, Mike. I dig a lot of the Kissin' Cousins soundtrack. Smokey Mountain Boy and Barefoot Ballad are the only outright stinkers.
Yes, I agree Frankie 8). I have said it before many times Elvis sung like a bird from 1960-1964 :smt007. Those two songs you mentioned are probably the worst in the soundtrack. Bye for now :smt006.

thecolonel
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by thecolonel »

I know I am a little late to the dance, but I am looking at purchasing the Franklin Mint set vs the Sony set. If all you care about is the music, not how pretty the packing is, or the sequence of tracks, is there any reason to buy the Sony set. As much as I would like it, I am having a hard time justifying $400 extra to get the book and some outtakes that I have or will get through FTD.

Topic author
elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvissessions »

Except for my ongoing -- and very much slowed by being out of town -- attempt to resolve some stereo vs. mono choices, I believe my initial post is *reasonably* comprehensive.

If the lists there don't lead you to believe the Sony set is worth it, and you're not interested in the book (as you say), then my suggestion is you skip the Complete Masters.

Until that set is released it's impossible for us to know whether a couple of the defects on the Franklin Mint set will be better on the Sony set. By defects, I'm referring here to the clipped opening on two tracks. There is good reason to believe one is a CD timing issue; the other, however, still has to be listed as "status unknown." The other anomalies we've identified (splicing differences, for example) we are pretty safe in assuming will match on both sets, based on general information from Ernst Jorgensen.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Here we go... just revived it!!! How about discussing sound quality, packaging etc. of the Sony Set EXCLUSIVELY on this thread? Keep it going, elvissession's amount of work has to be honored!

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Could this thread be a sticky for a month?

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Time to bring this one back up now people, including the thread starter are receiving there sets. Points of interest for me are sound quality, any unsual differences on this compared to the Mint set and other regular retail titles said to contain the same masters etc.

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Matthew wrote:Time to bring this one back up now people, including the thread starter are receiving there sets. Points of interest for me are sound quality, any unsual differences on this compared to the Mint set and other regular retail titles said to contain the same masters etc.
Thanks for the reminder, Matthew.

As elvissessions wrote on a different thread, it looks like the overdubbed "Tomorrow Night" is the same as on the Franklin Mint set.
That means, the intro is still clipped, unfortunately.

Can't check it out right now. Can anybody confirm this?

How about comparing the "rarities" with previous releases?
Do they really sound good now? :D

For a little company
There's always me

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

The moment I heard Lene Reidel credited on discs 28-30 the moment I felt bad. I hoped those alternates masters and takes (most already released on FTD) could benefit from an Anesini job. But, wtf, Lene again.

I still hope Sebastian watched her on the process as on recent FTD's. Anyway still a letdown as I hope more work on those bonus (mix reconstructions where needed, back to the tapes, etc). The fact that Reidel did those discs could mean they were straight transfers from existing releases, not from the original tapes.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

frus75 wrote:The fact that Reidel did those discs could mean they were straight transfers from existing releases, not from the original tapes.
This is not true - recent FTD releases prove this.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

Matthew wrote:
frus75 wrote:The fact that Reidel did those discs could mean they were straight transfers from existing releases, not from the original tapes.
This is not true - recent FTD releases prove this.
That's why I wrote "could mean".

Iván

La voz del Rey

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Sorry folks, I guess this has been asked a dozen times before, but:

Why is "Just Because" still clipped on the intro?
IIRC, I heard the complete intro sometime in the past... :?:
Is it possible that this was on the 90s CD edition of his first album?
I sold that quite a while ago. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me...???
(At least I remember that the intro to "I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin')" was clipped on that one...)

For a little company
There's always me

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

luckyjackson1 wrote:Why is "Just Because" still clipped on the intro?
I do not believe any other version has ever been available. With careful editing it could be 'restored' - borrowing a snippet of the next "well" and grafting it onto the beginning - but otherwise I believe the tape source is as we hear it.

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Matthew wrote:I do not believe any other version has ever been available. With careful editing it could be 'restored' - borrowing a snippet of the next "well" and grafting it onto the beginning - but otherwise I believe the tape source is as we hear it.
Thank you, Matthew. Maybe they did it like this on the version I heard. Still can't remember on what record it was.

Just one more question before I go to sleep:

How did they cut the finger snap on the intro of "White Christmas"? To me it sounds like they spliced it (repeated one short part).
I think elvissessions answered this before.

To be a nitpicker once again: I prefer the original version INCLUDING the finger snapping. Good night! :D :smt006

P. S.: On the intro of "Danny", they cut out the "N"... now it sounds like this:
"Da-a-y is my name..". I know there has been a drop-out before but now it sounds really strange. Reminds me of old days... :roll: :twisted:
I know they removed clicks, pops etc. but I probably have to grow accustomed to it first...

The splice on "Tonight's All Right For Love" is correct again, although it's still clearly audible. But definitely better than on the '97 release of "G.I. Blues".

For a little company
There's always me

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

frus75 wrote:The moment I heard Lene Reidel credited on discs 28-30 the moment I felt bad. I hoped those alternates masters and takes (most already released on FTD) could benefit from an Anesini job. But, wtf, Lene again.

I still hope Sebastian watched her on the process as on recent FTD's. Anyway still a letdown as I hope more work on those bonus (mix reconstructions where needed, back to the tapes, etc). The fact that Reidel did those discs could mean they were straight transfers from existing releases, not from the original tapes.
I am surprised Lene was allowed to be involved with a project focusing on sonic quality. Still, it isn't as if everything she has done is substandard. And most likely, her work was reviewed by others involved in an attempt to avoid any shortcomings.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

I would assume that the Lene tracks were straight copies of work previously done for FTD rather than anything fresh.

Much the same with Kevan Budds SUN material

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Still working my way through the CD's (not constantly though) and do you agree with me that the spliced ending on "Mystery Train" now sounds more "united" than on "Elvis At Sun"? I always felt that on the latter you could really hear that it had been spliced on. Any opinions?

For a little company
There's always me

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

just off the cuff here.. but what the hell? Mystery Train has a spliced ending??