Homecoming - - - - - - > July 5, 1976 / Midsouth Coliseum

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Homecoming - - - - - - > July 5, 1976 / Midsouth Coliseum

Post by 3577 »

Elvis Presley performs what would be his last Memphis concert July 5, 1976 before a crowd of 12,000 at Mid-South Coliseum. Exactly twenty-two years earlier (7/5/54), Elvis recorded "That's All Right" at Sam Phillips' little studio at 706 Union. Introducing the song, he said: "I've had some people say - well, you can't do that song anymore - well, you, by God, just watch me."

The first chord of Also Sprach Zarathustra is longer than ever before. The audience probably is hardly breathing - in just a few seconds Elvis will appear! Ronnie Tutt begins his introduction of See See Rider and the audience goes crazy.

Some kind of weakness is heard in the Presley's voice but it is OK. "Thank you" Elvis says and goes with "Well, well..." The audience goes completely crazy. Elvis begins I got A Woman, which is pretty good for 1976. From this song he goes into Amen and then asks J.D. to "go and get it!" "Wrong! Wrong!" Elvis says, " I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen, but you know he's world's lowest bass singer and he can do better than that. It's early for him, or something, I don't know, or late. But he can do better than that, really. So listen to him this time. I'm gonna turn around, just hang loose!" Elvis replies to somebody's plea of turning around. "J.D., are you gonna hit it? 'Cause I'm the one who said you can do it. If you don't do it they'll say "Elvis said he can do it, but he didn't". I'm a liar!" After that Elvis begins Amen too fast and even says "Wooh!" After that J.D. hits everything rightly and Elvis shouts "Yeah!" Ronnie is great during the ending.

After the song Elvis greets the audience. He says that it is a pleasure to be back to Memphis. Probably after a female fan tries to get to Elvis he says "It's a high stage, you can't get to me anyway!" What follows is Love Me. "Let's do Fairytale!" Elvis says and after yet another female fan almost falls from the stage after reaching Elvis he says "Be careful!" It is a short decent version. What follows is a good You Gave Me A Mountain. "I'd like to do a medley of some of the records, you know, back through the years..." What he does is All Shook Up which is nice for a late 70's version. Though I think that for his own hometown he should have had something different that night. The next medley is just a waste of time. "O.K. El says and And I Love You So begins which is a nice version. But this is not a favorite live version of mine. The best live version of those I have heard is surely the one from Just Pretend. Next in line is Jailhouse Rock. It is pretty good with some changes of the words "...you should have heard the knock of those sons of bitches, let's rock!" Next is Fever - one of the favorite songs of mine. While Jerry plays the intro for the 3d time (you know, Elvis liked the intro to be long in late concerts) he says "I forgot the song!" As in most late versions after the words "I light up when you call my name" he, in high falsetto adds "Elvis!" The audience goes crazy. "Ladies and gentlemen, since this is a bicentennial year, I'd like to do a version of America, The Beautiful for you" and Elvis and the band do a great version of this patriotic song. No reprise, which is a loose "Say, what will we do next? One Night? You wanna hear One Night?" And they do One Night. This is a pretty weak version, too bad.

"I'd like to introduce you to the members of my group before we go any further...Let me tell you...I will try to get to all the songs you wanna hear, 'cause this is the end of the tour and I've got as long as you have..." He introduces The Sweet Inspirations, The Stamps individually "Their bass singer is from North Carolina, his name is Larry Strickland. The baritone singer... I won't say anything dirty... I won't say anything dirty about you... He's from Nashville, his name is Ed Hill. I found my freedom on..." Elvis begins the song Blueberry Hill, but quickly stops and adds "No, forget it. Their lead singer, the blond kid over here, with a wild look in his eyes, he is from Nashville, his name is Ed... He's J.D.'s knees... His name is Ed Enoch. Enoch... How do you spell it? E-N-O-K? ENOK... Forget it. Their tenor singer he's new with them and, uh... That's all. His name is Ron Buff. For those in the group he's Ron Tooth... The little girl with a beautiful high voice... You, guys are playing loud while I'm talking... Hold it up! What is this? A jam session? Damn... Sun Records, Dewey Phillips... I forgot what I was going to do... She's from Los Angeles her name is Kathy Westmoreland. I don't know what I said previously, so take it easy... And this guy on the end here, with some sleeves on his shirt, he has a beautiful voice, his name is Kathy... Shole Neilson. On the rhythm guitar from Springfield Massachusetts... Missouri, is John Wilkinson. Play something John." As John plays, El says "It is the longest intro I have ever heard". The version was long, but here it is shortened. Next is What'd Say, which is weak and short. "And James can play the guitar on the back of his head, and I can't. So play it, J.B. Johnny B. Goode". A short version is what follows. "On the drums from Dallas Texas, is hard working Ronnie Tutt." What follows is a great solo on drums. As always, Ronnie sounds fantastic. "That was fair! On the fender bass from Los Angeles is Jerry Scheff." And Jerry plays an interesting melody instead of the blues he usually did. "Yeah, thank you Jerry. On the piano, ladies and gentlemen, he's new with us, he's from Nashville, his name is Tony Brown" Tony plays a standard solo, after which Elvis says "On the electric clavinet and the piano is David Briggs" and David rushes a wonderful solo, as short as always. "Is it all there?" Elvis asks. "When David and I first worked together, it was his first recording session, we did a song called Love Letters. I'd like to sing for you". What they do is a standard for 1976 version of Love Letters, which in some parts seems weak for me. "Thank you. The guy who gives me water and sings harmony with me, he's from Decatur, Alabama, his name is Charlie Hodge. Charlie's the most famous person in my gate... Our conductor, ladies and gentlemen, from Las Vegas, Mr.. Joe Guercio, maestro! Fantastic Joe Guercio orchestra!" And the play Hail Hail Rock'n'roll (School Days).

"Thank you very much. I have a new record, I'd like to sing for you tonight", and what they do is a great Hurt, though sometimes El sounds weak. The last "Hurt" is not long held, it is very short. And El asks "Do you want to hear it again?" and he does a complete reprise. In my opinion the reprise is better than the first attempt. The last "Hu-u-u-r-t" is longer and goes higher than the in the first attempt. The next in line (after a fade out) is Hound Dog, which is as weak as always (in the later years). "I, uh... Now that you have seen us I'd like to turn on the house lights up and take a look at you! It's nice to see you, really. No, really it's hard to see... It's hard to see that far we the lights up..." and Elvis begins Funny How Time Slips Away. There are lots shouts from the audience, but the performance itself is pretty weak. But Elvis jokes with the line "Never know when I'm back in town... Back in town that I live!" He asks J.D. to sing the last notes again. Elvis after the song says that he wants to do a song that he recorded some two years ago, called Help Me. What he does is a good (though a bit weak) version of Help Me. But it is a rarely performed onstage song so it is a pretty rare song. After the song Elvis says that How Great Thou Art is a pretty requested song and they do a pretty powerful version of it. As always, it is a highlight. Next in line is what I think is the only outside Vegas version of Softly As I Leave You, which is a beauty. "Since I was here for the last time I was in a hospital for a couple of reasons, but nothing serious, and I am working and glad to be working again," Elvis says after thanking the audience. He also introduces his father. "What I want to do? Polk Salad Annie!" Elvis says. Polk Salad as always rocks. It is a full of music, like all of the later versions. "I'd like to do a song that was a favorite of mine when I recorded it, about 11 years ago, called It's Now Or Never", but what he does instead is a one line of Jambalaya. The next in line is a well treated It's Now Or Never. The show is ended and Can't Help Falling In Love proves it. Within some minutes Elvis will be at home and our journey through what was to be the last concert in his "hometown" ends.

Juan Luis

Re: Homecoming - - - - - - > July 5, 1976 / Midsouth Colise

Post by Juan Luis »

Thanks for posting. Nice pictures.

Dixieland Rocks
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by Dixieland Rocks »

Thank You, for a very good post.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

You put a lot of effort into this topic, thank you.

The local paper was very kind to their hometown hero.

It's worth noting this concert is the only known time Elvis ever sang the intimate "Softly As I Leave You" outside of Las Vegas or Lake Tahoe.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Rob

Post by Rob »

It is also worth noting that Sonny West drove him home that night after the show. As Elvis got out of the car, he told Sonny "Happy birthday." Sonny's birthday wasn't until July 30th.

It was the last time Sonny (Red and Dave) ever saw him.

drjohncarpenter

Rob wrote:It is also worth noting that Sonny West drove him home that night after the show. As Elvis got out of the car, he told Sonny "Happy birthday." Sonny's birthday wasn't until July 30th.

You don't think they were watching CBS-TV on October 3, 1977?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

This show was similar in feel to the Tahoe engagement earlier in the year: long in duration and heavy in variety. He's clearly out of gas near the end, but he'd given one of his best performances of the year-to-date.

His good mood apparently ended with the Closing Vamp, as he was driven back to Graceland and promptly walked right passed the assembled family, friends and employees and marched up to his room.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:This show was similar in feel to the Tahoe engagement earlier in the year: long in duration and heavy in variety. He's clearly out of gas near the end, but he'd given one of his best performances of the year-to-date.

His good mood apparently ended with the Closing Vamp, as he was driven back to Graceland and promptly walked right passed the assembled family, friends and employees and marched up to his room.
The times they were a-changin'.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Rob

Post by Rob »

drjohncarpenter wrote:You don't think they were watching CBS-TV on October 3, 1977?
Don't know, man.

But it was way too late by then.

dougkapp
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dougkapp »

Very good job !!
Congratulations, friend !
The topic of month !!

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

...in that photo that shows the whole building and the crowd.... umm... where the heck is the stage and lighting and all!!??

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Frankie Teardrop
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by Frankie Teardrop »

JEFF d wrote:...in that photo that shows the whole building and the crowd.... umm... where the heck is the stage and lighting and all!!??

JEFF d
EP fan
To the left, just out of camera range.

"Computers may outthink us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are"
- Quote sometimes attributed to Elvis Presley

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

...ahh ok i get it now... i was like hell Parker really cheaped out the fans at that one... not even any stage lights! lol

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

3577, I would have REALLY loved this in early July but thanks so much for compliing it!

I love the Press-Scimitar photo and clip (my local paper also used that sort of type which is rare now) and I liked that recent Commercial Appeal photo from their archives of the fans....Makes you wonder how much more is still in the can.

Here's to that recent Audionics upgrade of what was one of the last of a breed of key '76 shows.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Indeed..a highlight from 1976..most of the summer and fall was bad..real bad..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

mountaindog
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by mountaindog »

first class review! Great job man.

My daddy had seen a lot of people who played guitars and stuff and didn't work. So he told me, you should make up your mind about either playing guitar or being an electrician. I never saw a guitar player that was worth a damn

Topic author
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by 3577 »

Thank you all for the kind comments. Finally found the newspaper review of this concert.

epf

Post by epf »

Thank you, 3577. Well done.

Mike S
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Mike S »

Excellent post...great work....well done!

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

Very good post, 3577!
It took us back to that concert as we were part of the audience...
Elvis wasn't as good as he used to be, but he was still capable of doin' a good show, despite all his problems ;D

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

epf

Post by epf »

If one plays the three Memphis shows in a row (74-75-76) one gets a pretty good picture of the changes that were unfolding. Still, 75 has some great moments too.

Lennart
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Lennart »

Great post, thanks 3577!

Lennart

dougkapp
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dougkapp »

I wonder if there is an decent audience recording of this big concert !! It' will be nice hear it from an audience perspective on CD. with all fans reactions, could be nice.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

Rob wrote:It is also worth noting that Sonny West drove him home that night after the show. As Elvis got out of the car, he told Sonny "Happy birthday." Sonny's birthday wasn't until July 30th.

Rob,

That's incorrect. Actually, Sonny's birthday is July 5, 1976 and, unfortunately and sadly, it was the last time he ever saw or worked with him because he, Red and Dave were, IMO, unceremoniously fired by Vernon eight days later.

Great post, 3577!!!!!!!!!! ::rocks ::rocks

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Rob

Post by Rob »

dougkapp wrote:I wonder if there is an decent audience recording of this big concert !! It' will be nice hear it from an audience perspective on CD. with all fans reactions, could be nice.
Yes. I had it long ago on cassette tape long before I ever knew what a "soundboard" was. The audience reaction isn't any different than most shows in a huge auditorium. However, my audience recording ended after "Polk Salad Annie."
Tony Trout wrote:Actually, Sonny's birthday is July 5, 1976
Was Sonny born during the concert or after?