Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Concerts captured on film

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:58 am

mountaindog wrote:The footage from jonas mekas looks incredible good.

phpBB [video]

This 16mm MSG footage is still gathering dust.
Incredible.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:24 am

BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
ep2 wrote:Could we only see 1 screenshot........ :D

Yes, it would be very delightful to see.

Assuming you are talking to me, what screen shot do you want to see? MGM cameras pointing at the stage in Phoenix, September 1970?

Yes, could you upload it, please?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:

Assuming you are talking to me, what screen shot do you want to see? MGM cameras pointing at the stage in Phoenix, September 1970?

Okay, here it is:

This is a rather blurry screen shot, thats cause of the filmer only briefly and very fast filmed the audience and only a few frames actually show the camera + equipment.

That screen shot is taken while the Sweet Inspirations were peforming, ergo not really a proof, but at least half of a proof, right?

One can see 2 handheld cameras, one pointed at the audience, the other poited at the stage, in that moment filming the Sweet Inspirations.

The camera currently pointing at the audience just a moment ago also pointed at the stage, but one can only see it while watching the footage, it was too blurry to make a screen shot from.

And here is another screen shot, this is on the end of the super 8 reel, meaning it is after elvis's performance and it shows the camera crew removing their camera equipment.
That is another good indicator that Elvis was indeed filmed in Phoenix 1970 by MGM.

It looks like as if the camera is still filming the audience, but while watching the footage one can clearly see the guy with the camer is carrying it away.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:38 pm

BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:

Okay, here it is:

This is a rather blurry screen shot, thats cause of the filmer only briefly and very fast filmed the audience and only a few frames actually show the camera + equipment.

That screen shot is taken while the Sweet Inspirations were peforming, ergo not really a proof, but at least half of a proof, right?

One can see 2 handheld cameras, one pointed at the audience, the other poited at the stage, in that moment filming the Sweet Inspirations.

The camera currently pointing at the audience just a moment ago also pointed at the stage, but one can only see it while watching the footage, it was too blurry to make a screen shot from.

And here is another screen shot, this is on the end of the super 8 reel, meaning it is after elvis's performance and it shows the camera crew removing their camera equipment.
That is another good indicator that Elvis was indeed filmed in Phoenix 1970 by MGM.

It looks like as if the camera is still filming the audience, but while watching the footage one can clearly see the guy with the camer is carrying it away.

Thank you, BigBird. Where is this Phoenix footage available in the best quality? I don't have it.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:

Okay, here it is:

Thank you, BigBird. Where is this Phoenix footage available in the best quality? I don't have it.

It is actually not really available, only a few collectors have it, most of them in very poor quality. It used to be on some old VHS tapes, but the quality on those is super bad.

However, I almost forgot the most important screen shot, it shows a third camera, this time not a hand held as the other 2.
However, even though the camera is in the dark, one can clearly see the camera man + the 35mm camera (judging by its size) filming Elvis while he is performing in Phoenix 1970.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Wow, this is the final proof really!!!

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Greg1995 wrote:Wow, this is the final proof really!!!

Yes it is.

There are similar screen shots from the Hampton Roads afternoo show (Red Suit), with several cameras pointing at Elvis, but Abel says it was a dry run for the evening show.

However, we all know Phonix was filmed (not dry runned) and we now also know it was not just the audience being filmed, but elvis himself too.

As far as the Hampton Roads afternoon show is concerned, I strongly believe that they actually did film it, even if Abel calls it dry run, I think they did film at least something, since I cannot imagin prparing all that equipment on stage for a make believe game. I am sure they did rehearse the camera moves, but knowing Abels M.O. (he is known to "over shot") I am sure some of those cameras had some film rolling.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Speaking about the Phoenix footage, the camera on the screengrab seems to be filming "That's All Right" or "I Got a Woman", so if they filmed beginning and not only some songs in the middle of the show, they might have filmed the whole concert.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Greg1995 wrote:Speaking about the Phoenix footage, the camera on the screengrab seems to be filming "That's All Right" or "I Got a Woman", so if they filmed beginning and not only some songs in the middle of the show, they might have filmed the whole concert.

Emerging footage would be great but it really gets interesting if the audio was captured too.
Phoenix '70 presented the worst ever sound ever produced in a 70's concert as they used a crappy house PA.
A soundboard could be very nice though.

To be honest I don't think any of this is out there after 43 years.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Very interesting information.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Robert wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:Speaking about the Phoenix footage, the camera on the screengrab seems to be filming "That's All Right" or "I Got a Woman", so if they filmed beginning and not only some songs in the middle of the show, they might have filmed the whole concert.

Emerging footage would be great but it really gets interesting if the audio was captured too.
Phoenix '70 presented the worst ever sound ever produced in a 70's concert as they used a crappy house PA.
A soundboard could be very nice though.

To be honest I don't think any of this is out there after 43 years.

Keep your fingers crossed! I didn't know till today about the footage BigBird has posted that it exists and it shows Elvis is being filmed. :)

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:38 pm

The issue for this footage at the time of the re edit of that's the way it is was how could they include this pro shot film in the movie even if they do have the full gig complete which i hope they do ?

It would look out of place with all vegas stuff and did anyone ask Rick if they had another shows in the vaults when he was doing the re edit

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Robert wrote:

phpBB [video]

Incredible.

I just sent Jonas an email, curious if he will respond.
If he does I'll let you know but he probably got the question many times....

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:

phpBB [video]

Incredible.

I just sent Jonas an email, curious if he will respond.
If he does I'll let you know but he probably got the question many times....

Hey Robert

Thanks a lot in advance! I'm sure that his footage would make a nice "Prince from another planet dvd".

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:20 pm

I would say YES!

On the end of the super 8 reel, right after elvis runs off of the stage one can see the camera crew moving equipment away, so they probabyl filmed the whole show, maybe except when they changed the film reels.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:24 pm

OnTourCam wrote:The issue for this footage at the time of the re edit of that's the way it is was how could they include this pro shot film in the movie even if they do have the full gig complete which i hope they do ?

It would look out of place with all vegas stuff and did anyone ask Rick if they had another shows in the vaults when he was doing the re edit

Well, there are a lot of those things in elvis' career and after which makes little, or no sense, so not using the phoenix 1970 footage would fit right in the M.O. of the elvis story.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:33 pm

A BIG thank you for uploading the screen grabs "BigBird."

I never doubted for one minute that Elvis was filmed in Phoenix, but this really is the icing on top of the cake.

I've also heard rumours that Elvis was filmed in preparation of the Phoenix gig!
The mind boggles as to what that would exactly entail.

One day perhaps...

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:A BIG thank you for uploading the screen grabs "BigBird."

I never doubted for one minute that Elvis was filmed in Phoenix, but this really is the icing on top of the cake.

I've also heard rumours that Elvis was filmed in preparation of the Phoenix gig!

One day perhaps...

You mean like we see in "Elvis on Tour" when Elvis is preparing to walk onto the stage?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Amazing Proof Big bird!

This picture kept me awake for a lot of nights also!

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Greg1995 wrote:

One day perhaps...

You mean like we see in "Elvis on Tour" when Elvis is preparing to walk onto the stage?

More expansive than that.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:38 pm

One day perhaps...

You are welcome.

The Phoenix preperation thing you have mentioned, is it like a rehearsal, like Buffalo 1972, then getting ready for the show etc.? Maybe even the ride in the tour bus, or airplane? :shock:

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:43 pm

I have that footage dubbed and the scene of the screen shot is indeed Elvis singing TAR.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:57 pm

If no one is making a move on the concerts we know about because of expense, then what makes
anyone think anyone will find and release these rumored films?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:07 pm

ekenee wrote:If no one is making a move on the concerts we know about because of expense, then what makes
anyone think anyone will find and release these rumored films?

You are correct, If i could find it, after all I know it exists, i would buy it, but would I release it??? Probably not, the only way to do it while MAYBE (its a big ass MAYBE)getting your investment back is to release it silent, like Behind-The-Image-kind-of-deal, because as soon as you have the original audio on the release, you have to pay a butt load of money to the copyright owners, if they even give their okay! We all know Cock ... uh .. Chuck, the bitter racist, Berry did refuse to give it for JBG for the EOT re-release!

The other option is bootlegging, but I think MGM and all those big wig producers wont have none of it, they maybe turn a blind eye on Super 8 releases with original sound, but they are not cool with material which actually cost thousends of USD to even make it, so that right there kills the bootleg thing.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:16 pm

carloselvis wrote:Amazing Proof Big bird!

This picture kept me awake for a lot of nights also!

Those reels shown in the photo are probably still gathering dust at a salt mine in Utah. :facep: :facep: